daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2015, 02:45 AM   #12861
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Do they have the same kind of issue with 5 lanes per direction with slow traffic on the more left lanes, faster traffic trying to sieve through the central lanes and general speed chaos?
I used it twice, once driving my RV and the second on a bus. Both were quite a nightmare, because most drivers were actually driving even slower than 100 and overtaking was impossible because traffic had a checkerboard pattern.

Basically you have a big and clumsy vehicle surrounded on all sides by a group of erratic flies that you must be careful not to hit...

The obvious temptation was to move to the left shoulder, reach warp speed and get out of that hell as fast as possible

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Kanadzie, Slagathor, Pell0 liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2015, 02:54 AM   #12862
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

You know it is really, really bad when you are driving RV and you are thinking, these other cars are so slow I want to pass!

Wilhem275 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 02:59 AM   #12863
Wilhem275
The Transporter

That's true I mean, it's a 1994 Transit with 100 HP, that thing can barely reach 110 The bus driver was driven mad by that traffic... we were already very late because from Den Haag traffic to Amsterdam was rerouted via Gouda and Utrecht, and every 10 km/h gain was immediately followed by someone slowing down for no reason...

The road was not even close to congestion, just erratic drivers. I hope the 130 limit will make them more "competitive".

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 29th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #12864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

The problem is the strict speed enforcement. This makes traffic less dynamic, causing the checkboard pattern driving of 1 km/h difference between 5 lanes. It feels like driving in slow-motion there.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Kanadzie liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #12865
Wilhem275
The Transporter

What is the % tolerance on speed checks in NL?

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #12866
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

It's 4km/h (after mandatory correction of 3% with a minimum of 3kms). So if you drive [email protected] on your GPS you wont get a fine, but if you hit 87, that's bad news for you. 3% rule (in this case the minimum of 3kms applies) and you get a VM004 for 4kms too fast sent to you.
In zones with 130km/h this margin of error is a lot tighter, you can get a ticket for driving 1km/h too fast (of course after the previously mentioned correction has been applied)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2015, 11:31 PM   #12867
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The problem is the strict speed enforcement. This makes traffic less dynamic, causing the checkboard pattern driving of 1 km/h difference between 5 lanes. It feels like driving in slow-motion there.
This is a problem on pretty much all the 80 zones too, no dynamic at all in traffic, just sleep inducing boring nothing. The only exception is the A20 ring r'dam north, which has so many exits and merging cars that it requires a bit of attention ( at least going eastwards, westwards is somehow less of a hassle usually). The A13 for example is also very sleep inducing.

I've had the (dis)pleasure of driving on the A2 quite often recently due to customers in Amsterdam. It's only what, 14 km's or so ? But out of frustration I always went through the whole zone at 106km/h ( the only thing to do when driving that tediously slow, is trying to keep your speed exactly on the limit of being fined, or reading emails, or whatever) and especially northwards when you pass the last checkpoint, I always end up flooring it and going 180-200 km/h until the exit I usually need to take ( A'dam Arena), southwards traffic often doesn't allow it but also, once you're on ring Utrecht, usually it's 130 ish instead of 100.

Billly liked this post
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 02:47 AM   #12868
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I always end up flooring it and going 180-200 km/h until the exit I usually need to take ( A'dam Arena)
Maybe you should see a psychologist about it

UnequalSine, DarkLoki liked this post
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #12869
Aumgn

Likes (Received): 300

One could do some nice research on whether having a limit of 100 on this strech is actually safer than having a 130 limit, because of the fact that now, practically everyone is reading emails or doing other stuff while driving Utrecht-A'dam.
Aumgn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #12870
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

At the risk of appealing to Snowdog, can I just say that I resent the fact that I may have to do 50 an hour just because some blonde can't go without Whatsapp for five fvcking seconds?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #12871
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
I always end up flooring it and going 180-200 km/h until the exit I usually need to take ( A'dam Arena)
That's a bit dangerous though.
Not as in dangerous driving-wise, but drivers-license-wise. I take it you also speed up a bit at every exit (the section control consists of 3 sections and at each exit you're between sections)?

I've driven there once, on the way to family in Hoorn. Roadworks on the Rotterdam Ring with quite the delays so that was not an option, so I got to bore myself to death between Utrecht and Amsterdam. On the way back I refused to take that route and just went A1-A27 (via Hilversum). And that's the route I'm taking over A2 everytime from now on.
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #12872
radamfi

Likes (Received): 58

I was driving on the N57 through Zeeland yesterday and there was a sign saying "lichten aan ook overdag". Is it now a requirement to drive with headlights on in the daytime in the Netherlands, or just on the N57? Or is this just a recommendation for the N57 because of a particularly poor safety record, and not actual law?
radamfi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:06 PM   #12873
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

I think Zeeland gets quite foggy often, so that's probably why.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2015, 11:07 PM   #12874
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamfi View Post
Or is this just a recommendation for the N57 because of a particularly poor safety record, and not actual law?
This.

Though it is taught in driving school now that you should as standard have your lights on during daylight, it's not in the law and you can't get fined for not doing so.
Old October 31st, 2015, 03:23 AM   #12875
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

People like Snowdog are exactly the reason why we need section control. (In case anyone was wondering.)

Coccodrillo liked this post
julesstoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 09:57 AM   #12876
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
So if you drive [email protected] on your GPS you wont get a fine, but if you hit 87, that's bad news for you.
How bad in Euro?

Beside that I find it curious that main political parties are deciding about a speed limit on a stretch of a motorway. This shouldn't be in the hands of politicians but traffic experts.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2015, 11:38 AM   #12877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Beside that I find it curious that main political parties are deciding about a speed limit on a stretch of a motorway. This shouldn't be in the hands of politicians but traffic experts.
I agree, but this section of motorway had a special arrangement. Back in the days when the expansion was planned, it was possible for lower governments to appeal and delay a motorway expansion project. So in exchange for not appealing, it was agreed that the speed limit would be lowered to 100 km/h.

Nowadays this is not possible anymore.
Old October 31st, 2015, 12:03 PM   #12878
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
How bad in Euro?
23 euros + 7 euros of administrative fees (9 euros starting January)
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:12 PM   #12879
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It has been reported that a 15 kilometer stretch of N15 has now been designated as A15 in the Port of Rotterdam. This shifts the A15 further west towards Maasvlakte.

That means A15 now starts at Exit 8 Oostvoorne (N218) instead of at Rozenburg. This stretch of expressway has only been rededicated to motorway status, no physical changes occurred along this stretch.

The westbound lanes will also open across the new Botlek Bridge tomorrow, 1 November.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Suburbanist liked this post
Old October 31st, 2015, 02:48 PM   #12880
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Is there any exact date when the section was rededicated, 1st November?

A15: rededication Oostvoorne – Rozenburg 15km (2015) – ? – map

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands