daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 9th, 2015, 01:59 PM   #12901
GorbazTheDragon

Likes (Received): 1

Hah, yeah true that. But unfortunately the chronic lack of national planning leads to quite a lot of wasted money and badly implemented projects.

I'd definitely have liked to see what the result of putting Dutch civil engineering and the more liberal spending in a place like Chile would be. That would make for some seriously impressive infrastructure. The only thing I can think of that comes close would be Japan.
GorbazTheDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2015, 01:59 AM   #12902
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

If the people in Chile were all Dutch they probably would have the west coast 20 km away from Australia by now

da_scotty, Slagathor, GorbazTheDragon liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #12903
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A24 Blankenburg Link

An overview of the A24 motorway that will link A15 and A20 west of Rotterdam.

The southern tunnel entrance will be pretty steep.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:14 PM   #12904
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

All tunnel entrances look normal to me?
That sunken interchange looks really neat by the way.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #12905
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It goes down 31 meters within 560 meters at the southern portal. It is deeper than most other road tunnels, especially because it needs maximum depth quite close to the tunnel portal.

This is what the OTB (draft environmental impact assessment) says about it:
Op de zuidoever is sprake van een steile helling. Ook is de helling in de verbindingsweg van de A24 (A20) naar de A15 (Ridderkerk) steil. Een minder steile helling kan echter niet worden gerealiseerd zonder impact op de bestaande kabels en leidingenstrook op de zuidoever of impact op de vaardiepte in Het Scheur. Aanpassingen aan de kabels en leidingen, waaronder een groot aantal pijpleidingen tussen Maasvlakte/Europoort en Botlek, in die strook leiden tot hoge kosten en grote uitvoeringsrisico’s. Daarom worden de hellingen niet gewijzigd en worden op de zuidoever kruipstroken toegepast om de snelheidsterugval van vrachtverkeer op de zuidoever te mitigeren.

It basically says there will be a steep grade at the southern tunnel portal, chiefly due the depth of the Scheur waterway and the location of numerous pipelines alongside the A15 corridor, which are too expensive and financially risky to move. A climbing lane will be constructed to mitigate the impact of slow trucks.

Here's a blast from the past, a timelapse video of the 'Delta Route' from Rotterdam to Vlissingen in 1969.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, EPA001, keokiracer liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; November 10th, 2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old November 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM   #12906
GorbazTheDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It goes down 31 meters within 560 meters at the southern portal.
It's not that ridiculously steep, still under 6% average gradient, and considering the total height change is only 31m it's hardly a big deal.

Then again I'd guess 3/4ths of The Netherlands is less than 31m above sea level, so it's a bit of a matter of perspective.
Old November 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM   #12907
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I thnk there is a misunderstanding. It will be a very deep open tunnel portal. The southern tunnel portal has a vertical section (walls) of 30 meters. That's much greater than any other tunnel in the Netherlands.

To compare, the nearby Botlek Tunnel portal is only about 10 meters deep.

Or the Drecht Tunnel:
Old November 11th, 2015, 10:19 PM   #12908
GorbazTheDragon

Ah, I see what you mean. My understanding from the OTB was simply the steep slope for vehicle traffic.

I think the cross bars will have a stabilising effect similar to a cut and cover system.

I don't think it will be too hard in engineering terms, just a wild guess they may not be able to use a TBM due to the slope, so they have to either cut and cover, or just leave it as a large open trench.
Old November 11th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #12909
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Did you capture more videos?
Absolutely! Since you like previous videos, I'm posting more.

35 kilometres, which contains porous asphalt + reinforced concrete as pavement.
BTW, what is performed under Ecoduct Slabroek? Ramps for rescue services only?

The Waalbrug with no visible changes.

Do you already replete, or still hungry?

verreme, Billly, CborG liked this post
DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 10:20 AM   #12910
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Bus exit/entry lanes! The new regional hospital is on the left side of the road. With the new fast busses (line 305 2-4 hourly Oss-Eindhoven) stopping there, the bus can enter and exit at the ecoduct instead of making the detour through Nistelrode. (Look at the white/blue sign at 4.51-4.53).

DSzumaher liked this post
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2015, 06:57 PM   #12911
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Ressen - Zevenaar

The draft environmental impact assessment / statement (EIA/EIS) for the A15 motorway extension to Zevenaar was published today.

There are no surprises in the design of the motorway. The new tolled motorway will be constructed with 2x2 lanes and runs east from the Ressen motorway interchange (A325) to the Oudbroeken motorway interchange (A12). A segment of A12 from Westervoort to the Oud-Dijk motorway interchange (A18) will be widened to 2x3 lanes. A segment of A15 from the Valburg motorway interchange (A50) to the Ressen motorway interchange (A325) will also be widened to 2x3 lanes.

The design of the bridge across the Pannerden Canal (A Rhine River tributary) is not yet known, the contractor may choose the most favorable design in terms of cost and construction time. A circa 200 meter main span is expected, which suggests a cable-stayed bridge or perhaps an extradosed bridge (which would be a first in the Netherlands).

The bridge will be tolled. The tolls are needed to pay off a certain amount of the project cost. The toll rate is set at € 1.18 for cars and € 7.11 for trucks (2013 price level). Tolling will last for approximately 25 years, depending on usage (a higher usage means it will become untolled sooner, and a lower usage means it will be tolled longer). Interest rates may also impact the duration of the tolling period. Tolling will be entirely electronic like in Norway, Sweden and recently Italy.

The design of the Oudbroeken motorway interchange (A12/A15):
Old November 13th, 2015, 01:40 PM   #12912
HarlingenHardest

Likes (Received): 36

Yesterday roadworks in my hometown Harlingen officially started when it comes to transforming the N31 in a 2x2 expressway. Now the road is constructed on a slope (ca. + 4), they will built the new N31 @ -4,6 towards ground level including aqueduct to pass the Van Harinxma canal grade-separated. The project should be finished in 2 years.

It's the last part of ca. 2 kilometres 1x2 configuration between Zurich/Afsluitdijk and Drachten (connection with A7 towards Groningen).

For more info you can check n31 harlingen .nl
HarlingenHardest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 03:45 PM   #12913
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maasbracht - Geleen

A notice has been published to initiate procedures for the widening of A2 between Het Vonderen motorway interchange (A73) and Kerensheide motorway interchange (A76) in Limburg province.

The basic plan is to widen the motorway to 2x3 lanes with shoulders. There are currently shoulder lanes that are open through much of the day due to the high volume of traffic. Traffic on A2 fluctuates around 90,000 - 95,000 vehicles per day on this corridor.

Already in 2005 a plan approval procedure was started. It initially explored an option of eight lanes, either as 2x4 or 4x2, but the cost was found to be too great, and a six lane configuration (2x3) was also found to be sufficient in both the near term and long term, as southern Limburg has a stagnating or even declining population. The plan approval procedure was aborted, instead, shoulder lanes were constructed in 2010 and 2011.

The projected cost is € 261 million (2015 price level). There is only one alternative, 2x3 lanes with shoulders. 2x4 is not considered anymore. The speed limit will be 130 km/h.

The cost is relatively high because the widening will be asymmetric. The center of the motorway will be shifted, which means all bridges need replacement or widening as well. This means it is possible to keep six lanes in operation during the construction period, greatly reducing congestion.

4 overpasses will be kept, 7 overpasses and 1 underpass will be replaced and 4 overpasses plus 1 underpass will be demolished and not be replaced. The motorway will be designed as a parkway with landscaped and treed roadsides.

Attus, Batavier, EPA001, snowdog liked this post
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:38 PM   #12914
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Speaking of it, what's the status of that Kerkrade "parkway belt" project?
Old November 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM   #12915
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlingenHardest View Post
Yesterday roadworks in my hometown Harlingen officially started when it comes to transforming the N31 in a 2x2 expressway.
The same was already reported about one year ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Construction formally started yesterday, 10 December 2014, by unveiling the construction information sign. Completion is still planned for late 2017.
I think "officially" and "formally" is the same but please tell us what happened last year. Have you seen any construction works? Clearance, bridge construction,...

N31: Midlum – south of Harlingen 3km (December 2014 to Late 2017) – projectmap

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #12916
GorbazTheDragon

Looks pretty good, should get rid of the last bottleneck on the Noord Holland-North Friesland route.

Am I correct in assuming they are not planning to upgrade this to a motorway? Shouldn't make a considerable difference in traffic capacity, but I'd assume they will use a low speed limit for that area anyway to reduce the noise.

EDIT: Just checked the site said 100km/h, guess they might use some kind of sound barriers in the shallower portions.
Old November 14th, 2015, 03:52 PM   #12917
HarlingenHardest

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
The same was already reported about one year ago...

I think "officially" and "formally" is the same but please tell us what happened last year. Have you seen any construction works? Clearance, bridge construction,...

N31: Midlum – south of Harlingen 3km (December 2014 to Late 2017) –
Actually roadworks had to be started earlier on, but afterwards the (local) authorities decide to fullfill the order in the shape of a Design & Construct contract. Summarizing: in august last year the contractor became known. Between then and now the contractor had time to implement their plans and only small things like removing cables and pipes happened. The day before yesterday was the start of the "real roadworks." So now you can see the progression in the field.

MichiH liked this post
HarlingenHardest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 12:01 AM   #12918
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9738

For more hungry...

A former bottleneck near Arnhem.

The shoulder standing to Apeldoorn.

The last 32 km of the A50 without signalering.

Do not usually post urban drives here, but this way I want to greet someone. We know who he is.
Peekaboo!
Old November 16th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #12919
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Familiar routes I've driven some of that yesterday (Central Ring Road and A50).

You will notice that Dutch street names are really something else. Especially in post-1960s developments, streets are not named like 'rue' or 'calle' or 'ulica' or 'street', but after objects. Many street names are not really recognizable as such. In Zwolle you'll have street names like 'Munterkamp' or 'Marterveld' or 'Oeverzegge' or 'Bultkroos'. They just name streets after encyclopedic entries it seems.

DSzumaher liked this post
Old November 16th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #12920
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Drachtsterweg, Leeuwarden

An aerial photo of the Drachtsterweg project in Leeuwarden. The interchange opened just recently, while construction at the aquaduct is still ongoing.

EPA001, 8166UY, DarkLoki, snowdog liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands