daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 16th, 2015, 04:10 PM   #12921
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I'm disappointed by the low quality/high conflict design of the bike lanes in the Zwolle inner ring

Busy urban rings should have segregated bike paths (or have them fit in other streets).

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #12922
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A16 Rotterdam

The national government and regional governments have signed an agreement to extend the Tunnel Lage Bergse Bos by 200 meters and construct it in a trench 4 meters below grade, instead of at-grade. It is part of the A16 motorway extension around the northern side of Rotterdam. The Tunnel Lage Bergse Bos will be approximately 2350 meters long.

The complete cost for the mitigation of impact of the motorway is € 265 million, on top of the regular construction cost. The entire budget for the 10 kilometer motorway is € 979 million. There will be no tolls.

It is planned to publish the final environmental impact statement / assessment (EIS/EIA) by early 2016. The motorway is planned to open between 2021 and 2023.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Ni3lS, 8166UY, snowdog liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:03 PM   #12923
Suburbanist
on the road

I know it is a minor issue, but being an official gov't study map overlay it shocks me how the base map is so outdated! It shows railway lines that must had been closed in the 1980s.

Will this tunnel be just a trench or a real tunnel with ventilation systems and else?
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #12924
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It will be a complete tunnel with all safety systems you'd expect in modern tunnels. The clearance will be 4.7 m, so there won't be any height detection (which caused trouble in some other lower clearance tunnels).

The tunnel will feature 2x2 lanes with shoulders, which act as a reservation for a future six-lane layout.
Old November 16th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #12925
Suburbanist
on the road

whats the lowest clearance tunnel/acquaduct in the autosnelweg network?
Old November 17th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #12926
GorbazTheDragon

Likes (Received): 1

IIRC some of the aqueducts on the A4 are ~3.9m but I could be mistaken (could be A44)
GorbazTheDragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #12927
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Afaik all 5 aquaducts in the A4 (including the one U/C in the famous Midden-Delfland stretch) have a clearance of 4 meters or more.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #12928
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I doubt if there are tunnels under 410 cm in the Dutch motorway network. The Velser Tunnel (A22) near Haarlem is likely the lowest clearance tunnel (417 cm) as it is the oldest. It will be enlarged by 12 cm in 2016.
Old November 17th, 2015, 06:04 PM   #12929
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A24 Blankenburg Link

No less than 1960 comments were provided as input for the draft environmental impact assessment (EIS) of the A24 motorway in western Rotterdam. Of these 49 were from individuals and 1911 were from an environmental organization which used a format for their public to use.

As usual, a very large amount of comments are similar. They don't have to respond to all 1960 individually, but can combine them into one answer per topic.

The goal is to sign the final EIS in early 2016. So having a massive response doesn't necessarily delays the process as happens in some other countries.
Old November 17th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #12930
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Does it happen sometimes in the Netherlands that some appeals are by the authorities accepted and the plans accordingly changed?
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2015, 10:11 PM   #12931
ChrisZwolle
Road user

When there is an unforeseen issue that came up during the commenting period on the draft EIS, it could result in some changes in the final EIS. But usually these changes are pretty minor. In some rare cases the final EIS is shot down at court, but instead of having to redo the entire procedure, they can just 'repair' the issue if it's minor.

A complete annullment of the final EIS at court is rare, it hasn't happened to a motorway project in 7-8 years (and there have been over 30 EIS's published for the many motorway projects in recent years), so Rijkswaterstaat does a good job with their planning procedures.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Attus liked this post
Old November 18th, 2015, 11:57 AM   #12932
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic safety

Contrary to policy, the amount of critically injured in traffic is growing. 20,700 critically injured (Dutch: zwaargewonden) were recorded in 2014. The goal of 10,600 critically injured by 2020 appears to be unattainable. The amount of critically injured people is growing since 2007.

It is notable that the majority of accidents with critically injured did not include any motor vehicle. The share of accidents with no car, bus or truck is expected to grow through 2030. Currently only 11% of accidents with critically injured cyclists involve a motor vehicle. Also, 11% of critically injured are car occupants.

Factors mentioned for the high share of accidents with no motor vehicles are an increasing mobility of older bicyclists and higher speed with electric bicycles and cycling distracted (smart phone usage).

In 2014, 570 were killed in traffic. However, only 187 of them were car occupants. This is expected to decline to 150-160 by 2020 and 90-120 by 2030. In 2014, 47% of fatalities were over 60 years old. This is expected to grow through 2030 due to the higher share of senior citizens and higher mobility of senior citizens. In addition, only 10% of traffic fatalities occur on motorways.
Old November 18th, 2015, 01:33 PM   #12933
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N261 Tilburg - Waalwijk

A couple of photos of the completed N261 expansion project between Tilburg and Waalwijk. The 2x2 N261 used to have traffic lights, it was reconstructed into a free-flowing expressway with bus lanes.

Old November 18th, 2015, 02:19 PM   #12934
Suburbanist
on the road

I stopped using N65 altogether after N261 opened.
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:00 PM   #12935
DSzumaher
Infra's user

Likes (Received): 9738

We need to be watchful to TOTSO, and I have forgotten about this particular case. What a shame!

Happy birthday to Zuiderbrug. It turns 20 years old today.

So much of my visit in the Netherlands.

EPA001, verreme, CborG liked this post
DSzumaher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 10:52 PM   #12936
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
11% of critically injured are car occupants.
In addition, only 10% of traffic fatalities occur on motorways.
All this while the speed limit is being raised on many motorways.

This is the answer to those brainless activists who scream "Speed kills" and have no clue about the actual causes of accidents...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 11:30 PM   #12937
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
All this while the speed limit is being raised on many motorways.

This is the answer to those brainless activists who scream "Speed kills" and have no clue about the actual causes of accidents...
Speed really kills the pedestrians. If I remember it correctly but at 60 km/h there's some 50 % chance of you dying when hit by a car.

Of course this has nothing to do with the speed on the motorway. Completely different statistics apply as well of course to the car occupants.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2015, 11:51 PM   #12938
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Speed really kills the pedestrians. If I remember it correctly but at 60 km/h there's some 50 % chance of you dying when hit by a car.
Impact speed is not driving speed.

If you are driving at a sensible speed for the road, you are more alert than if you are driving too slowly for the conditions and thus will spot the danger and brake earlier.

Speed kills is overly simplistic and lulls those travelling too slowly into a false sense of security. It's not speed that kills, but hitting other things at high speed that kills.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:09 AM   #12939
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

It is true that excessive speed kills, that's physics. The key is that "excessive" is related to specific conditions, which can be even ridiculously low speeds in some cases, or very high in others.

That's why a deeper analysis is always needed.

Sorry for my rant related to these statistics, but I think these supposed "pro safety" activists actually do more damage than good.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2015, 12:45 AM   #12940
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Just think of your own experience...

When I drive 140 km/h or faster, I have never had an accident, I've never even seen an accident of other vehicles ever

When I drive less than 40 km/h then there are crashes everywhere around and into me too!

Someone just rear-ended me on a motorway last week... I was rolling maybe 10 km/h in a traffic jam...

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands