daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:08 AM   #12941
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
Just think of your own experience...

When I drive 140 km/h or faster, I have never had an accident, I've never even seen an accident of other vehicles ever

When I drive less than 40 km/h then there are crashes everywhere around and into me too!

Someone just rear-ended me on a motorway last week... I was rolling maybe 10 km/h in a traffic jam...
My experience was a car driving 90 km/h hit me at 60 km/h . I am quite glad it did not drive 100 km/h...

It was not their fault tbh.

I just say it is all relative. I am for high speeds on motorways. But there are other places where I don't mind strict speed limits and speed limiting infrastructure. E.g. the speed limits inside the city was reduced from 60 km/h to 50 km/h in Czech Republic some 15-20? years ago. It would seem a small change but it had a big impact on the safety chances of the pedestrians. These changes happened in many countries. The speed limits on highways were also not always present everywhere. I guess small changes, infrastructure adjustment and evaluation over time are a good approach.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 23rd, 2015, 04:28 AM   #12942
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

But if you drove 100 km/h you would be even more glad!

Is it reasonable to say "big impact" from 60 to 50? Probably before driver went 70 and today is also driving 70...
Old November 23rd, 2015, 05:37 AM   #12943
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Streets and controlled-access highways are not comparable. In controlled-access highways, drivers have (by design) an expectation of no pedestrians jumping in front of the place, no cars parallel-parking, no bicycles, no cars slowly entering the ROW at 90-degree angle with obstructed views...
Old November 24th, 2015, 08:16 PM   #12944
albert0123

Likes (Received): 18

[QUOTE=Suburbanist;128628385] I know it is a minor issue, but being an official gov't study map overlay it shocks me how the base map is so outdated! It shows railway lines that must had been closed in the 1980s.]

Which railway is closed according to you? To me the overlay map is accurate.
albert0123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #12945
UnequalSine
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 436

Many of the old harbour-lines (cargo) are closed down and/or completely removed (e.g. Katendrecht, Rotterdam South, Merwehaven). Also, the old rail-section (between the A20 and former station Hofplein) of the Hofpleinlijn (passenger) is still included in the map. And I'm pretty sure there won't be any train running down those tracks .. since the bridge across the A20 motorway has been demolished years ago. I guess there are other outdated examples to be found on the map, besides the ones I just stated.
UnequalSine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #12946
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

It's just... a map... to indicate something...general, not..official...documents *sigh*

Wilhem275 liked this post
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #12947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

A16 Rotterdam

A total of 256 official comments were put in by the public on the draft environmental impact assessment of the A16 extension on the north side of Rotterdam. The GreenLeft party also compiled 8,300 reactions on the d-EIA, together with 2,000 signatures. They will be considered an official comment too.

It is one of two projects that resulted in a large volume of comments, the other being the A24 motorway. The volume of comments doesn't really delay the plan approval procedure, as nearly all such comments are identical and not all comments would have to be responded to individually. They can be bundled into a single response.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 04:59 PM   #12948
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Diemen

A 1.5 year timelapse video of the construction of the three-span box girder bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal near Diemen, just outside of Amsterdam. It will be a 9 lane bridge that carries traffic from A1 to A9 and vice versa.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Surel, Basnix liked this post
Old November 27th, 2015, 02:58 PM   #12949
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N381 Appelscha

The reconstructed N381 around Appelscha was officially inaugurated today as a super two expressway with a 100 km/h speed limit and grade-separated interchanges. It runs from the south side of Oosterwolde to the Drenthe provincial border, connecting to the pre-existing N381 super two expressway towards Emmen. The project is part to upgrade the N381 in Friesland province.

http://www.nieuweooststellingwerver....k-geopend.html

EPA001, 8166UY liked this post
Old November 27th, 2015, 04:52 PM   #12950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N235 Amsterdam - Purmerend

The reversible bus lane along N235 between Het Schouw and Ilpendam will be extended into Purmerend. This means buses don't have to merge with traffic at Ilpendam anymore. The N235 congestion is reported to be some of the worst of N-roads in the region due to bus priorities. The new reversible bus lane is planned to open by the end of 2017. The average traffic on the regular standard two-lane road is 18,000 vehicles per day.

EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 27th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #12951
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The reversible bus lane along N235 between Het Schouw and Ilpendam will be extended into Purmerend. This means buses don't have to merge with traffic at Ilpendam anymore. The N235 congestion is reported to be some of the worst of N-roads in the region due to bus priorities. The new reversible bus lane is planned to open by the end of 2017. The average traffic on the regular standard two-lane road is 18,000 vehicles per day.
Wouldnt it make more sense to just add a regular reversible lane? I reckon 90% of those 18,000 cars drive Southbound between 7-9 in the morning and Northbound between 5-7 in the evening.
Old November 27th, 2015, 08:15 PM   #12952
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They want to prioritize public transport in that corridor. Commuters are supposed to take the motorway, but A7 is frequently congested. In the morning it is often one of the earliest traffic jams to develop after 6 a.m.

A new shoulder lane on A7 is planned to open in a week or so. There will be 3 lanes during rush hour from Purmerend-Zuid through the Zaandam motorway interchange, onto A8.
Old November 28th, 2015, 05:20 PM   #12953
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere

The new Holland Bridge opened to traffic this morning, two days ahead of schedule. The new bridge has 4 lanes and carries northbound traffic. It is 354 meters long and 33 meters wide. It's part of the massive Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere project to widen all motorways east and south of Amsterdam.

EPA001, snowdog liked this post
Old November 30th, 2015, 05:53 PM   #12954
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N381 Drachten - Appelscha

The Donkerbroek - Oosterwolde segment of N381 opened to traffic today as a super two expressway. This completes the widening and realignment between Drachten and Oosterwolde. There is now 10 kilometers of four-lane, divided highway with full grade-separation between Drachten and Donkerbroek and 4 km super two between Donkerbroek and Oosterwolde-North

However the completion of the N381 widening around Oosterwolde is delayed by another half year. The reason is a change in design of an underpass along N381. It was recently decided to extend the four-lane segment around Oosterwolde, but the underpass was originally designed for two lanes. This needs to be changed, causing the delay.

The project was already delayed by half a year due to a dispute between the province and the contractor about the technical design. It was originally planned to open the whole N381 by December 2015, that will now be late 2016.

This means that when N381 around Oosterwolde will be widened from two to four lanes in 2018, the underpass does not have to be changed again, saving money.

Agnette liked this post
Old November 30th, 2015, 06:16 PM   #12955
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9, Amsterdam

5 bridges over A9 in Amsterdam were demolished this weekend. It's part of a large widening project to put A9 in a 3 kilometer long tunnel. The motorway will be widened from 4 lanes plus shoulder lanes to 9 lanes.

Shenkey, Basnix, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 1st, 2015, 03:39 PM   #12956
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Diemen

The new 9 lane bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal is rapidly approaching completion. However it will likely not be in (full) service until the A9 tunnel in Amsterdam is completed, which is quite some years away. It's the longest land tunnel in the Netherlands so far, with 5 tubes with 11 lanes.

Basnix, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 1st, 2015, 10:07 PM   #12957
HarlingenHardest

Likes (Received): 36

Today I made some pictures of the roadworks near my hometown Harlingen. They're building an aqueduct at the moment. You can view the photos by clicking the link below:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/krusef...57659573944593

This morning they were placing the temporary sheet pile walls.

Suburbanist, CborG liked this post
HarlingenHardest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2015, 06:24 AM   #12958
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Is there some official policy or guideline on which bodies of water warrant extensive use of acquaducts, and which can be crosses using regular bridges?

I was wondering if they every considered a super-wide acquaduct for the A9 project, and if in the past tall bridges were considered to cross the IJ in Amsterdam.
Old December 2nd, 2015, 11:39 AM   #12959
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some waterways are designated as a staande mastroute or standing mast route in English. These waterways need a clearance up to 30 meters, either with movable bridges, aquaducts or very high fixed bridges (which have never been built).

The official one and only standing mast route runs from south of Rotterdam to Delfzijl (map) but there are many other waterways with a lot of sail boats. It's mainly dependent on the number of bridge openings, intensity of boating and cost if they construct an aquaduct. Friesland province has a large boating community so they also have a lot of aquaducts.

Waterways used for commercial shipping usually only require the so-called Rhine shipping clearance of 9.10 meters above the highest seasonal water levels. Most fixed bridges in the Netherlands use this clearance, for instance nearly all bridges across the major rivers have a 9.10 m minimum clearance.
Old December 3rd, 2015, 04:31 PM   #12960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Victory Boogie Woogie Tunnel, The Hague

The main tunneling contract for the 'Rotterdamsebaan' project in The Hague has been awarded to BAM. The contract value is € 301 million.

The name of the tunnel has also been revealed, the Victory Boogie Woogie Tunnel () named after the the last painting by Mondriaan.

keokiracer, Wilhem275, snowdog liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands