daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:50 PM   #12961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Nijmegen

The bridges in the city of Nijmegen. They inaugurated a new channel for the Waal River yesterday, that will reduce the impact of flooding in the city. The existing bridges needed to be reconstructed for the new channel of the Waal.

Foreground: Waal River Bridge (N325), built 1936
Middle: Railroad Bridge
Background: 'De Oversteek', opened 2013
Far background: Tacitus Bridge (A50), opened 1976 / 2013.

'De Oversteek', opened 2013.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2015, 07:58 PM   #12962
UnequalSine
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The name of the tunnel has also been revealed, the Victory Boogie Woogie Tunnel () named after the the last painting by Mondriaan.
I would love to hear that in a traffic update on the radio

Wilhem275 liked this post
UnequalSine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:19 PM   #12963
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Will they transform that middle island in Nijmegen into some park or a thing like that?
Old December 3rd, 2015, 10:24 PM   #12964
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Will they transform that middle island in Nijmegen into some park or a thing like that?
Festival/Eventterain at first, residential later.
The side-channel is also looked as at prime-realestate for all the watersport-based sports in the area. Both rowing clubs for example are very eager to move over there, as they curently use the busy shipping channel.
Old December 4th, 2015, 01:26 PM   #12965
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N305 Almere - Dronten

A groundbreaking ceremony has been held for the twinning of provincial road N305 in Flevoland province. It will extend the four-lane segment of N305 from Zeewolde to the N302 intersection.

Google Maps erroneously classifies N305 as an expressway while it is in fact a 100 km/h two-lane / partially four-lane road without grade-separation

Meanwhile, plans to construct the 'N30' has been postponed indefinitely. It was planned as a major route from Almere to Nijkerk, but the east side of Almere isn't growing as quickly and the N305-N302 route via Harderwijk has now been designated as the preferred route from Almere to A28.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old December 5th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #12966
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Stadsbaan Tunnel, Utrecht

The Stadsbaan Tunnel opened to traffic on 1 December in the city of Utrecht. It is located directly beside the Leidsche Rijn Tunnel (A2), but is shorter, the length is quoted as 490 or 495 meters. It is one of two tunnels in the Netherlands with the most restrictive tunnel category E.

The new tunnel has two tubes, with 4 lanes, but only 3 for general traffic, the right lane in the southbound tube is separated by pylons and a wall and is only for trucks supplying an underground distribution center in Leidsche Rijn.

The truck access tube:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, Pell0, SRC_100, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #12967
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Linguistic question.
In the far and unknown region that lies on the wrong side of the IJssel I see many town/village names like Almelo, Hengelo, Harculo, Ruurlo, Groenlo... and many more. There's even a small Getelo on the German side.
What is the origin/meaning of that -lo particle?

-dam, -burg, -wijk, -dorf are easy to trace, but I can't get the -lo. In the German part there are not even similiar names.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2015, 05:38 PM   #12968
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch Wikipedia has the answer https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/-loo

It means a type of broadleaf forest.

Wilhem275, EPA001, Penn's Woods liked this post
Old December 5th, 2015, 06:02 PM   #12969
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Fantastic, they even made a complete list Probably the most famous, in the end, is Waterloo (although the etymology is not sure).

It's weird that there's nothing that appears related to that, on the German side. But there might had been linguistic reforms.

Now I can show off with my friends from Almelo

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #12970
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
The Donkerbroek - Oosterwolde segment of N381 opened to traffic today as a super two expressway. This completes the widening and realignment between Drachten and Oosterwolde. There is now 10 kilometers of four-lane, divided highway with full grade-separation between Drachten and Donkerbroek and 4 km super two between Donkerbroek and Oosterwolde-North

However the completion of the N381 widening around Oosterwolde is delayed by another half year. The reason is a change in design of an underpass along N381. It was recently decided to extend the four-lane segment around Oosterwolde, but the underpass was originally designed for two lanes. This needs to be changed, causing the delay.

The project was already delayed by half a year due to a dispute between the province and the contractor about the technical design. It was originally planned to open the whole N381 by December 2015, that will now be late 2016.

This means that when N381 around Oosterwolde will be widened from two to four lanes in 2018, the underpass does not have to be changed again, saving money.
What's about the upgrade to 4 lanes just south of Drachten? It was expected to be opened in December. Is it also delayed to late 2016?

N381: Drachten (A7) – Wijnjewoude 5.0km (May 2014 to December 2015) – ? – map

Quote:
Construction officially started on the N381 upgrade between Drachten and Appelscha. The N381 will be upgraded to expressway standards. The new speed limit will be 100 km/h. It will feature 2x2 lanes with interchanges from A7 to Donkerbroek, and single carriageway to the border with Drenthe province.

Completion is planned in December 2015.
Only a 5.5km section was opened earlier this year:

Quote:
The new alignment of the N381 expressway partially opened to traffic yesterday in Friesland province. It runs from Wijnjewoude to Donkerbroek (circa 5.5 km).

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #12971
Muttie

Likes (Received): 1348

When will the A4 to Schiedam open?
Muttie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #12972
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

A4: Delft – Schiedam-North 7km (April 2012 to 18th December 2015) – project – map

Please refer to the link in my signature...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #12973
UnequalSine
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 436

Well, there are some troubles with keeping water out of the open tunnel, and this might delay the opening. The responsible Minister already stated the opening might be delayed to late December or January.
UnequalSine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2015, 03:08 PM   #12974
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Schiedam

An aerial photo of the Kethelplein motorway interchange (A4/A15) and the Kethel Tunnel as part of the A4 Delft - Schiedam extension.

More photos: http://defotograaf.eu/blog/a4-delft-schiedam-9/

SRC_100, EPA001, snowdog liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #12975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalSine View Post
Well, there are some troubles with keeping water out of the open tunnel, and this might delay the opening. The responsible Minister already stated the opening might be delayed to late December or January.
The official position is that it will open 'around New Year's'. It will very likely not open on 18 December, but apparently a delay of 3 months as is reported by some anti-A4 groups seems unlikely at this moment.

In contrast to what some groups are saying, the tunnel itself is not leaking. This is simply not possible because the tunnel is located at-grade, above the water table. However, the segment of A4 north of the Kethel Tunnel is built in a trench. They installed a sheet piling with bentonite that was expected to leak in the order of 400 m³/day, for which a permit was issued by the water board. However they found out it was leaking more than expected, earlier in the range of 2600 m³/day, which has been reduced to around 1100 m³/day since.

Technically these leaks are not problematic as they can pump it away. For instance, they pumped around 1200 m³ per hour for the A2 tunnel project in Maastricht.

UnequalSine, Suburbanist, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 7th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #12976
Wilhem275
The Transporter

An average of 1800 l/min at its maximum (now 760), not to be ignored but also not a big deal. Probably the issue is protecting the water source, more than a danger in the trench.

Anyway, there are still anti-A4 groups active? Pretty pointless now

Old December 7th, 2015, 07:16 PM   #12977
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7/A8 Purmerend - Amsterdam

The new and extended shoulder lanes along A7 and A8 opened to traffic today. Construction took just over 3 months and included a complete repaving of the motorway. The cost was € 25 million.

The northbound shoulder lane was extended onto A8 and was reportedly open since last Saturday. A new southbound shoulder lane was built from Purmerend onto A8, through the Zaandam motorway interchange. It opened to traffic this afternoon at 5 p.m.

The southbound traffic jam on A7 is one of the worst bottlenecks in the Netherlands. It's often the first traffic jam to be reported in the morning traffic information, just after 6 a.m.

It's a temporary solution, a long-term plan involves a completely reconstructed A7-A8 corridor, with A8 being widened to 2x6 lanes and A7 to 2x4 lanes to Purmerend, and a complete reconstruction of the Zaandam cloverleaf, making Purmerend - Amsterdam and vice versa the 'through' direction for traffic. Plans are still in early development and likely won't take place untill well after 2020.

Des, EPA001, snowdog liked this post
Old December 8th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #12978
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Thanks Chris! Do you have any news about the A8 to A9 extension?
Old December 8th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #12979
renevisscher

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
The northbound shoulder lane was extended onto A8 and was reportedly open since last Saturday.
I already saw it opened last Friday afternoon.
Quote:
A new southbound shoulder lane was built from Purmerend onto A8, through the Zaandam motorway interchange. It opened to traffic this afternoon at 5 p.m.
It was still closed at 17.30 yesterday, but thats probebly because of it beeing the counter rushhour trafic direction at the time.
renevisscher no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 07:51 PM   #12980
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A8-A9 link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Thanks Chris! Do you have any news about the A8 to A9 extension?
There has been little news about the A8-A9 link in recent months. They are currently still in the planning / research phase. The preferred alternative is expected to be selected by April 2016. Construction won't begin until 2018 or later.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 8th, 2015 at 08:00 PM.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands