daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2015, 07:58 PM   #12981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

A4 Delft - Schiedam

The opening permit for the Kethel Tunnel has been issued today. This means the tunnel is found safe and ready for traffic operations. Normally this would mean the A4 could open to traffic immediately, but there is a run / open day planned for 12 December and they want to wait until the water board issues a permit for the pumping operations, due to the greater than expected leakage of the trench segment. The pumping permit is expected within 1 or 2 weeks.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #12982
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
What's about the upgrade to 4 lanes just south of Drachten? It was expected to be opened in December. Is it also delayed to late 2016?

N381: Drachten (A7) – Wijnjewoude 5.0km (May 2014 to December 2015) – ? – map

Only a 5.5km section was opened earlier this year:
Does anyone have info about this project?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #12983
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It opened on 30 November: http://www.n381.nl/606/omzetting-ver...e-nanningaweg/

Sinds vanmorgen rijdt het verkeer tussen Drachten en Donkerbroek over de dubbelbaans weg.

Dubbelbaans = dual carriageway.

I haven't seen any photos of the dual carriageway N381 though.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH liked this post
Old December 8th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #12984
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnequalSine View Post
I would love to hear that in a traffic update on the radio
Especially with the Dutch pronunciation of those Gs. (Bookhie Wookhie)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #12985
ChrisZwolle
Road user

air quality

The Netherlands has an air quality programme called the 'Nationaal Samenwerkingsprogramma Luchtkwaliteit' (NSL) or National Air Quality Cooperation Programme. It started in 2009 to improve air quality by various measures.

The programme is quite succesful. When implemented in 2009, 1,100 kilometers of roadsides exceeded the norms for NO2 (nitrogen dioxide). This has been significantly reduced to 30 km in 2014 and 12 km in 2015. The remaining air quality bottlenecks are a few busy inner city streets and some roads around intensive livestock farming.

There is also some road mileage where PM10 (particle) norms are exceeded. The main cause however, is not traffic, but their location near intensive livestock farming.

It's important to note that air quality models are based on actual emissions, not theoretical emission standards, so issues like the Volkswagen emission scandal doesn't affect air quality modeling.

EPA001 liked this post
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #12986
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

It occurs to me, that new bit of the A4 would have been handy for me the first Sunday in July, when I drove from A'dam to Schouwen Duiveland to catch the Tour de France. As it was, I did A4, A13, A20, A16, A15 to Spijkenisse, through Hellevoetsluis, then the N57 as far as I could get (Burgh-Haamstede...the bridge to Neeltje Jans was closed for the Tour.)

I didn't actually see the race; it started pouring. I caught it the next day in Antwerp and again in Normandy.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 02:51 PM   #12987
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62, Zeeland

Aerial photos of the recently upgraded N62 in Zeeland province, southwest of Goes.

1. N62 looking north towards A58. Note the very wide median.

2. 'knooppunt Stelleplas' A58 / N62.

3. Near the N254 intersection.
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:37 PM   #12988
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

2. 'knooppunt Stelleplas' A58 / N62.
I still wonder why they decided to include two residential houses in the middle of this 'knooppunt'.
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 03:58 PM   #12989
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The houses existed before the interchange was reconstructed. It was originally a partial cloverleaf, where N62 continued as N664 north of A58. These people have always lived right beside the motorway.

Stelleplas is reportedly an official 'knooppunt', not just an 'afrit'. So it has the same status as 'Markiezaat' or 'Galder'. It is policy to name all free-flowing interchanges between roads built to certain standards. So you can expect more new names, such as 'knooppunt Gooimeer' (A6/N702) in Almere.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old December 11th, 2015, 04:09 PM   #12990
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Am I the only one who only sees a big barn in that picture?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 04:22 PM   #12991
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

There's a house hidden behind the trees next to that barn. The other house is in that big set of trees within the turbine-loop. It's better visible on GMaps
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #12992
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
The houses existed before the interchange was reconstructed. It was originally a partial cloverleaf, where N62 continued as N664 north of A58. These people have always lived right beside the motorway.

We did that in the '60's in Culemborg A2 for example. Not nowadays I thought.
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 11:41 PM   #12993
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
The Netherlands has an air quality programme called the 'Nationaal Samenwerkingsprogramma Luchtkwaliteit' (NSL) or National Air Quality Cooperation Programme. It started in 2009 to improve air quality by various measures.

The programme is quite succesful. When implemented in 2009, 1,100 kilometers of roadsides exceeded the norms for NO2 (nitrogen dioxide). This has been significantly reduced to 30 km in 2014 and 12 km in 2015. The remaining air quality bottlenecks are a few busy inner city streets and some roads around intensive livestock farming.
What was actually done to achieve such a dramatic effect?
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 11:23 AM   #12994
ChrisZwolle
Road user

NO2 concentrations along motorways are mostly the result of diesel engines. As the euro emission standards advanced for both trucks and passenger cars, the emission of NO2 was also reduced.

It's also notable that diesel cars are not as common in the Netherlands as they are in Belgium or France.

Another factor was to reduce emissions of PM10 from agriculture, poultry farming in particular, which cause strong peaks of PM10 concentrations in their areas. They also introduced subsidies for the installation of particle filters in diesel cars. Some municipalities also improved traffic signals and introduced cleaner buses.

The effect is not as dramatic as it sounds, going from 1100 > 12 km. The Netherlands has over 100,000 kilometers of road, so before the programme was introduced, already some 99% met the norms.

EPA001 liked this post
Old December 12th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #12995
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

My Czech driver's license was nearing the expiration date, so I asked for the renewal. As I live in the Netherlands, I should get the Dutch driver's license.

I went to the city hall, filled the form, paid the money, gave them the photo etc..

Now, I got a letter from the Dutch driver's license authority institution, that I need to send them another form with an Statement of Health to get af Certification of Fitness and pay another 8 Euro for this form.

What a nonsense, clearly against the EU rules, the Dutch don't have to do it, so neither do I. The question is whether this is a problem by design, or the authority just ignores the law in general, or made a mistake in my case. It would not be the first case that I run into something like that in the Netherlands.

I am without my license already a week, I had to give it in, and I see that this will make it all take extra time. I hope that it will resolve before Christmas.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #12996
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
My Czech driver's license was nearing the expiration date, so I asked for the renewal. As I live in the Netherlands, I should get the Dutch driver's license.

I went to the city hall, filled the form, paid the money, gave them the photo etc..

Now, I got a letter from the Dutch driver's license authority institution, that I need to send them another form with an Statement of Health to get af Certification of Fitness and pay another 8 Euro for this form.

What a nonsense, clearly against the EU rules, the Dutch don't have to do it, so neither do I. The question is whether this is a problem by design, or the authority just ignores the law in general, or made a mistake in my case. It would not be the first case that I run into something like that in the Netherlands.

I am without my license already a week, I had to give it in, and I see that this will make it all take extra time. I hope that it will resolve before Christmas.
I exchanged my Italian driver's license (still with years of validity ahead) for a Dutch one. They did not require any health certificate or examination. They just took my old license, and then gave me a Dutch one 7 days later (and a temporary receipt in the meantime so I could drive within Netherlands).
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #12997
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I exchanged my Italian driver's license (still with years of validity ahead) for a Dutch one. They did not require any health certificate or examination. They just took my old license, and then gave me a Dutch one 7 days later (and a temporary receipt in the meantime so I could drive within Netherlands).
I guess that's the difference in treatment that you get when being from Italy or from the Czech Republic....
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:26 PM   #12998
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Quote:
I guess that's the difference in treatment that you get when being from Italy or from the Czech Republic....
Didn't you ask about those regulations? I had a minor problem with something else once, brought a printed copy of the thing, they fixed it (after some wrangling).

Do you fit some of the criteria there, such as a shorter driver's license validy, changing categories etc?

I heard it is better to change your license sooner, before it expires. That is what I did then.
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #12999
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Didn't you ask about those regulations? I had a minor problem with something else once, brought a printed copy of the thing, they fixed it (after some wrangling).

Do you fit some of the criteria there, such as a shorter driver's license validy, changing categories etc?

I heard it is better to change your license sooner, before it expires. That is what I did then.
It is not the problem of the city hall this time. They did it the way it should be done in my case because I don't fall under any special criteria. I asked at the city hall specific whether I need to fill any other form, they said that no.

It is RDW mess up. I think that that someone doesn't know that the CZ is in the EU or some other mess up. I will call them and hopefully it will get resolved.

They also send me a waiver for the foreign driving license, suggesting that I should waive my license groups if I don't want to send them the Health Statement. Which is pretty crazy, since I got only the the group B. But maybe they plan on giving me A and BE, what do I know...
Old December 12th, 2015, 04:58 PM   #13000
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
That seems very doubtful considering the image of Italy in the Netherlands. More likely your application just crossed the desk of a particularly nasty civil servant with a small *****. Bad luck, mate. Can happen to anyone.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands