daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 14th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #13021
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Current (major) toll roads;
* N62 Westerschelde Tunnel in Zeeland
* N217 Kil Tunnel near Dordrecht

Shadow toll roads;
* A9 Wijker Tunnel near Haarlem
* A15 Noord Tunnel near Dordrecht

Future toll roads;
* A15 Rhine Bridge near Arnhem
* A24 Blankenburg Tunnel near Rotterdam

Past toll roads;
* A4 Benelux Tunnel (until 1980)
* A29 Haringvliet Bridge (until 1975)
* N256 Zeeland Bridge (until 1993)
* N323 Prince Willem-Alexander Bridge (until 1996)

The N323 bridge in particular was noted as a toll road failure. It was built to make an isolated strip of land between the Waal and Meuse Rivers more accessible, but it had very low usage (especially since it was built to motorway standards). At one point it was seen as a major north-south route to Oss, but the next bridge across the Meuse was never built. After two years of operation, an average of only 2,500 vehicles per day used it. It is nowadays used by 20,000 vehicles per day.
They could add more. If you have an alternative (but congested) route, then nothing is different vs today if you don't want to pay. If you need to be somewhere in a hurry, or are a professional driver where time is money, a few euro will make you bypass the misery. And after 20 years, they can open it up to everyone. Everyone wins (except the green party)
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #13022
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Nop, it passes local politics now and then, but the main resistance is from Megen (which locale is quite pictoresque).
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #13023
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

The regional water board has released the permit for the additional pumping of groundwater along the A4 trench between Delft and Schiedam. They will use return pumping, so that the ground water level remains steady in the area. An opening of A4 Delft - Schiedam is expected soon, maybe within this week.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Suburbanist liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #13024
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N256 Zeeland Bridge

An aerial photo of the Zeeland Bridge near Zierikzee. The bridge turns 50 years today. It is 5022 meters long and opened to traffic on 15 December 1965, and greatly improved north-south mobility in Zeeland, where at that time the islands were mostly linked by ferries. It was a toll road until 1993.

More photos: http://defotograaf.eu/blog/zeelandbrug-50-jaar/
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #13025
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
There are currently no plans to construct this link. Though they really want it in the city of Spijkenisse. Spijkenisse has some of the worst local traffic problems in the Netherlands, they have basically two routes in and out of town, both of them requires a bridge crossing. They have had a lot of bridge malfunctions over the recent years. A new eastern outlet would really improve access and better alternatives during incidents.

Another problem is the Haringvliet Bridge along A29, just south of where A4 would join it. It is a bascule bridge that opens rather frequently, and is functionally obsolete.

Replacing the bridge and extending A4 would be very expensive. A4 crosses two rivers between A15 and A29 and the Haringvliet Bridge is relatively long. It will likely be north of € 1 billion, and there seems to be near-zero interest from the national politics.
I don't see how finishing the A4 would help Spijkenisse?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 07:46 PM   #13026
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

It would give them an additional connection to the A4 in the South-East corner of the city if the A4-South was to be build.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:21 PM   #13027
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

But wouldn't they still have to use the A15 towards Rotterdam to get to the A4? (I actually have a decent in-my-head map of the Dutch autosnelwegen in my head...I drove in the Netherlands last July. I made a wrong turn in Spijkenisse, I think....)
Not that I'm opposing finishing the A4 (as if it were any of my business anyway); I just think I'm missing something in the geography.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #13028
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
But wouldn't they still have to use the A15 towards Rotterdam to get to the A4? (I actually have a decent in-my-head map of the Dutch autosnelwegen in my head...I drove in the Netherlands last July. I made a wrong turn in Spijkenisse, I think....)
Not that I'm opposing finishing the A4 (as if it were any of my business anyway); I just think I'm missing something in the geography.)
They wouldn't need A15 anymore:

quickly drawn, don't pay attention to details
With a new exit connecting Spijkenisse somewhere within the red circle
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2015, 09:28 PM   #13029
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Ah! That makes sense.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old December 15th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #13030
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Spijkenisse has some of the worst local traffic problems in the Netherlands, they have basically two routes in and out of town, both of them requires a bridge crossing. They have had a lot of bridge malfunctions over the recent years.
A case in point, the new Botlek Bridge malfunctioned again today. It is open since only six months ago, this was malfunction #49, and it lasted for nearly six hours. Some people were stuck for over two hours before they could turn around. Many people avoid the bridge all together, sort of defeating its purpose of adding capacity to the Botlek Tunnel (which is also very accident-prone).
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:38 AM   #13031
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

What are the causes again? I though I read something about electronic detection and warning systems? And the bars blocking access to the bridge.

If so, are we not getting a little overboard with trying to make everything risk free? It appears a very very simple concept. Boat comes, someone presses a button to block the road. Bridge opens, boat passes, bridge closes, someone presses the button again to unblock. It should be doable. People should realize that you stop when the bridge isn't closed.

The bars blocking the bridge, we have many hundreds operating on railway crossings every day, and on other bridges. It isn't that hard.
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 10:43 AM   #13032
ChrisZwolle
Road user

This morning had the 50th malfunction of the Botlek Bridge in less than six months. I don't know what the exact problems are, but they seem to be persistent. They obviously don't have their act together there.

They have a permanent crew of technicians on standby. They often have to replace parts, which indicates it's not just some programming or electronic issue.
Old December 16th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #13033
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N317 Doesburg

The Doesburg Bridge, also known as the Koepoort Bridge across the IJssel River near Doesburg is undergoing renovation works. The bridge will be completely closed to regular traffic between 21 January and 19 February to replace the concrete deck. The bridge was one of the first new post-war bridges across a major river in the Netherlands and opened to traffic in 1951.

The bridge will remain in use for buses and emergency services that run across the widened bike path on the north side, while bicyclists will use the bike path on the south side. These bike paths are outside of the arch.

The bridge carries 19,000 vehicles per day on two lanes. It is the main connection from Doesburg to A348, though traffic from Doesburg towards Arnhem can also use N338 and A12, while traffic to Zutphen can use N314. The main detour is for traffic between Doesburg and Dieren. There is a small ferry at Dieren, but it doesn't have much capacity and it may be out of order during high water levels.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old December 16th, 2015, 05:11 PM   #13034
ChrisZwolle
Road user

IMF

The IMF recently criticized the Netherlands about the lack of investment of infrastructure. Minister of finance Dijsselbloem called it a 'fairy tale', and said the IMF added Netherlands because they did not want to make Germany look bad for being noted as the only country with insufficient investment in infrastructure.

Dijsselbloem;
'Ik heb het IMF daarop aangesproken en de korte samenvatting van het antwoord luidt: dit moesten we zeggen. Het is bedoeld voor Duitsland, maar omdat het politiek pijnlijk is alleen Duitsland aan te spreken, hebben we Nederland erbij gezet’, legde Dijsselbloem uit.
I talked to the IMF about it, and the short version of their answer was; 'we had to say this. It was meant for Germany, but it would be too politically painful to only address Germany about it, that's why we included the Netherlands', Dijsselbloem explained.
Anyone who has followed this thread over the last 5 year or so can see that the Netherlands has massively invested in infrastructure, with numerous motorway widenings, tunnels, bridges, new train stations, a new railroad (Hanze Line) and a new subway in Amsterdam. So the criticism of the IMF about the lack of investment in infrastructure came out of the blue for us.
Old December 16th, 2015, 05:19 PM   #13035
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

So many European countries could be criticized before Netherlands

Only thing that is really missing are power plants to replace coal-fired ones.
Old December 16th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #13036
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N300 Buitenring Parkstad Limburg

The first stage of the new 'Buitenring Parkstad Limburg' or 'Park City Limburg Outer Ring Road' opens to traffic this evening. It's a 700 meter segment of N300, from the Avantis Roundabout with N281 to the original route near Spekholzerheide, indicated blue on this map. It runs immediately adjacent to the border with Germany.

EPA001 liked this post
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:13 PM   #13037
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
The IMF recently criticized the Netherlands about the lack of investment of infrastructure. Minister of finance Dijsselbloem called it a 'fairy tale', and said the IMF added Netherlands because they did not want to make Germany look bad for being noted as the only country with insufficient investment in infrastructure.

Dijsselbloem;
'Ik heb het IMF daarop aangesproken en de korte samenvatting van het antwoord luidt: dit moesten we zeggen. Het is bedoeld voor Duitsland, maar omdat het politiek pijnlijk is alleen Duitsland aan te spreken, hebben we Nederland erbij gezet’, legde Dijsselbloem uit.
I talked to the IMF about it, and the short version of their answer was; 'we had to say this. It was meant for Germany, but it would be too politically painful to only address Germany about it, that's why we included the Netherlands', Dijsselbloem explained.
Anyone who has followed this thread over the last 5 year or so can see that the Netherlands has massively invested in infrastructure, with numerous motorway widenings, tunnels, bridges, new train stations, a new railroad (Hanze Line) and a new subway in Amsterdam. So the criticism of the IMF about the lack of investment in infrastructure came out of the blue for us.
Not enough, you can never have to much infrastructure, in the end it'll always pay itself back due to better mobility.

Compared to how much motorists pay in direct taxes and fuel duty, it really is insufficient how little they back.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #13038
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'd have to disagree. Although more funding for roads would be great and is justified given the tax levels, the Netherlands already has a high investment in roads per capita or motorway mileage, compared to Germany, the UK or Belgium. Many projects that haven't gone anywhere in previous decades have moved forward and into construction phase under Eurlings and Schultz.

EPA001, Kanadzie liked this post
Old December 16th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #13039
sotonsteve

Likes (Received): 3

The Netherlands not investing enough in infrastructure?

Clearly they live in a cave somewhere away from telephone or satellite signals.

They only have to go next door to Belgium or across the channel to the UK to see what lack of investment is. And yes, what about Germany, which is stuck in the 1980s?
sotonsteve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2015, 01:05 AM   #13040
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
So many European countries could be criticized before Netherlands
Seriously, NL would have been the last country coming to mind

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands