daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #13421
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Thanks. I must admit I don't go to Amsterdam very often. This was the first time in years I've driven within the A10 ring motorway.

There are quite a number of tourist sites in the Netherlands that attract people from all over the world that I have never visited. Like Giethoorn (I live 30 minutes away...) or Kinderdijk, or some museums.
Have you been to Keukenhof? Its funny I have been there already three times, because there's always someone who comes to visit and wants to go there and some of my Dutch friends have never been there yet.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2016, 11:39 PM   #13422
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Never been to Keukenhof either. Or the national museum in Amsterdam. I don't like museums, the only one I've been to in the past 15 years was the National Technical Museum in Prague with my dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I drove on the A1 today from Amsterdam direction Germany. Lots of road construction everywhere, new bridges, fly-overs, widening...
Yes, it's huge. It's the largest road project in the Netherlands, the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere project. They are widening 65 kilometers of A1, A6, A9 and A10 at a cost of € 5 billion.

The section you saw along A1 will have 12 lanes, but the widest point approaching the A1-A9 interchange will feature over 20 lanes.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #13423
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

I know more Dutch historical or internationally famous landscape sights than almost all my Dutch colleagues. Most have never been to Kinderdijk or don't even know it is located relatively close to where I live.

ChrisZwolle, you should make some road videos on the local roads of that polder, there are some very interesting routes with other windmills along the road and small canals. The road along the Lek, on the dyke itself, is also interesting. But it is a long way from Zwolle, maybe some day you film Maarsen-Dordrecht driving trip only through provincial roads!
Old March 17th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #13424
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Have you been to Keukenhof? Its funny I have been there already three times, because there's always someone who comes to visit and wants to go there and some of my Dutch friends have never been there yet.
I've never been there. Why should I?
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #13425
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The amount of passenger cars in the Netherlands has exceeded 8 million for the first time. There are currently 8,020,000 passenger cars in the Netherlands, a doubling from 1980. The 8 million mark was exceeded around late December, when a large amount of new cars were sold due to changing tax rates in 2016. Car ownership among young adults remained stable over the least 10 years, however only 5% of people under 25 own a car. There is currently one passenger car per 2.1 people.

Edit: NOS reported wrong figures. 5% of all passenger cars are owned by people under 25.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; March 19th, 2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old March 18th, 2016, 10:12 PM   #13426
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

And that's not including all the many cars with Eastern European license plates.

Kanadzie liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #13427
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 118

Quote:
Yes, it's huge. It's the largest road project in the Netherlands, the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere project. They are widening 65 kilometers of A1, A6, A9 and A10 at a cost of € 5 billion.

The section you saw along A1 will have 12 lanes, but the widest point approaching the A1-A9 interchange will feature over 20 lanes.
It was very impressive indeed. And the beauty of it was that it did not seem to interfere too much with the existing traffic.

Dutch motorways are second to none in Europe in my experience.

TM_Germany liked this post

Last edited by Bender; March 19th, 2016 at 05:24 PM.
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2016, 11:57 PM   #13428
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They go a long way in the Netherlands to make sure that road works do not disrupt traffic too much. Historically (last 10 years) only 3-8% of all congestion is due to road works. It's pretty much policy to keep all lanes open with a 90 km/h speed limit through work zones. In some cases they even keep a 100 km/h speed limit through work zones, by temporarily building new lanes or bypasses.

Contractors who have a good construction plan with little or no traffic impact are making a good change to get the contract awarded based on the 'EMVI' (economically most favorable bid), where social factors and traffic disruption weigh heavily. They don't award projects based solely on price.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, EPA001, Sentilj, Bender liked this post
Old March 19th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #13429
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Politicians are mulling to reduce the tax on electricity for electric car charging stations, as a way to incentive more sales of electric cars. They are considering a 50% cut on this tax from € 0.100 to € 0.005/kWh).

I wonder why don't they charge the tax on a kVA basis though...
Old March 20th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #13430
NejcB

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I wonder why don't they charge the tax on a kVA basis though...
So what you want to say is that you would pay different tax for different instantaneous power drawn from the grid while charging?
NejcB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2016, 05:01 AM   #13431
BE0GRAD
∰f(W)dw≣∭f(r,φ,θ) drdφdθ

Likes (Received): 1174

Quote:
Finally an agreement has been reached about the alignment of the new provincial road N629 between Oosterhout and Dongen in Brabant province (northeast of Breda, northwest of Tilburg).

A new 80 km/h alignment will be constructed, including a new bridge across the Wilhelmina Canal. The first studies for N629 commenced in 1999, but they couldn't agree over the preferred alternative.

N629 is a low-standard two-lane road that handles over 20,000 vehicles per day.

What are the jurisdictions of municipalities , provinces and the state regarding road design and construction in Netherlands? I suppose municipalities have the responsibility for city roads but surely higher instances have a role in that too?
Old March 21st, 2016, 10:50 AM   #13432
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE0GRAD View Post
What are the jurisdictions of municipalities , provinces and the state regarding road design and construction in Netherlands? I suppose municipalities have the responsibility for city roads but surely higher instances have a role in that too?
Most (but not all) 1- and 2-digit numbered roads: state
Most (but not all) 3-digit numbered roads: province
Most other roads: municipality
But roads can also belong to the regional water authorities (waterschappen or hoogheemraadschappen)
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 04:34 PM   #13433
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch cities ranking in the 2015 TomTom Congestion Index (similar to the Travel Time Index or TTI).

EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:23 PM   #13434
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Everyday I have to travel through Groningen. With a bit of commute the traveltime will double simply. So I see why Groningen is in 2nd place. I hope they will start soon with building the new flyovers instead of the trafficlights at 'Julianaplein'
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:33 PM   #13435
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch cities aren't terribly congested by European standards. The Hague ranks 89th and Groningen ranks 94th among all European cities measured. Almere ranks 141st, the second-least congested city in Europe.

EPA001 liked this post
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:37 PM   #13436
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

It used to be the medium- and long-distance routes rather than intra-city ones which were horrendously overcongested compared to other countries, but funnily enough some capacity increases seemed to have helped a lot. I wonder how and why
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2016, 11:45 PM   #13437
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think the travel time index is not a suitable measurement for all conditions. For example in London, off-peak 'free flow' traffic is only like 5 mph faster than during peak hour due to the lack of urban motorways, compared to cities like Paris or Madrid. Greater London off-peak traffic speeds are under 30 km/h, while in Greater Paris you can do 50+ km/h if you use the motorway and expressway system.
Old March 23rd, 2016, 02:26 PM   #13438
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10, Amsterdam

The final environmental impact assessment has been signed by the minister of transportation on 18 March.

The A10 will be put underground in a 12-lane tunnel. The project limits run along the south side of Amsterdam, between A2 and A4. The project cost is € 1.9 billion, the works should start in 2017.

Possible design changes from the draft EIA are not yet known, it will likely published shortly.

Current A10:
Old March 27th, 2016, 04:32 PM   #13439
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That one looks alright (although the bike path is a little weird).

But some of these roundabouts can get quite absurd in an urban setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
General disinterest... This explains why they're trying to do away with more and more traffic lights, even if it means erecting those hateful oval-roundabouts.
I disagree, any solution that doesn't need traffic lights are superior in most low-mid traffic situations, they are very inefficient, the only exceptions really are wide intersections (eg. at least 2x2 with a 2x2 road.), traffic usually flows much better with traffic lights disabled.

It is very concerning that a lot of municipalities are disinterested in traffic lights. Traffic lights are a major annoyance for every commuter, be it motorised traffic, cyclists or peds, nobody likes waiting for ''Jan Lul'' (nothing).

If I look at my direct environment some traffic light settings are ok, clear different phases depending on the time of day and traffic, and multiple junctions linked together to prevent buffers from overflowing (eg. in Capelle, the traffic lights of Hoofdweg X Capelseweg, Hoofdweg X burg. van Dijklaan, and Capelseweg x George Hintzenweg are working together).

While others are appalling (Hoofdweg X Grote beer, westwards direction the sensors are broken until the ones just in front of the stopping line), and generally along the whole Hoofdweg the junctions are unlinked so you end up for a red light every 300-500m when unlucky, or all green when lucky. I sometimes have 25% more commute time depending on just plain luck with lights (regardless of light traffic).

Or simple getting a red instead of a green when there are absolutely no conflicting traffic flows that have green, basically a red for no reason. Or wrong phases where a dominant traffic flow gets more red than a secondary traffic flow.Or traffic lights that remain in operation at times like 3am where there is no other living person around (usually no problem as they jump to green, but some don't or have broken sensors).

Traffic lights should turn off under a certain amount of traffic, for any low-medium traffic situation a simple yield situation or roundabout is vastly superior. Only in complex and high traffic situations, or with few turning traffic, traffic lights can provide higher throughput.

I could probably work all year to just improve all lights in my direct environment, let alone het greater Rotterdam area.

It's always a godsend to get to the more rural areas which aren't that plagued by traffic lights, you can make much better progress.

It always amazes me how people find waiting for a gap for 30sec-2 mins annoying when they have to yield and get stressed, but waiting 2 mins for a red light is no problem . Lazy buggers not willing to make decisions in traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renroz View Post
Everyday I have to travel through Groningen. With a bit of commute the traveltime will double simply. So I see why Groningen is in 2nd place. I hope they will start soon with building the new flyovers instead of the trafficlights at 'Julianaplein'
That's what you get with them left wing anti car municipalities.

The amount of cars and demand for mobility is ever increasing, and many politicians refuse to provide capacity for that demand because they reckon it reduces the quality of life in city environments . Completely ignoring the fact that mobility is one of the biggest factors in quality of life in a western country where time is precious.

Last edited by snowdog; March 28th, 2016 at 06:37 AM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 12:43 PM   #13440
Luki_SL

Likes (Received): 17511

Quote:

The A10 will be put underground in a 12-lane tunnel. The project limits run along the south side of Amsterdam, between A2 and A4. The project cost is € 1.9 billion, the works should start in 2017.
So, the first stretch in tunell will be ~ 5km ?
This tunnel project is for all A10 (ring road) ?

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands