daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 28th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #13441
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

No, just the section you see in the photo^. They will widen the motorway, put it underground and adapt the 2 interchanges on either end to the new situation with local lanes and through lanes.

They're also putting the A9 in a tunnel and , but that's another project.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2016, 09:33 PM   #13442
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

N65 Vught

A major project that will commence circa 2021 is the upgrade of N65 and the railroad in the town of Vught, just south of Den Bosch.

It's a multi-faceted project, and includes both road and rail. The plan to increase frequency of trains means the level crossings in Vught will be closed to traffic for a long portion of the day. To alleviate this problem, and the noise problems, the railroad will be put below grade. In addition, there will be a railroad grade-separation where the line to Tilburg branches off, and 4 tracks north of there. This project will cost € 502 million.

However, present-day N65 in Vught runs under the railroad. For the lowering of the railroad to happen, N65 will have to be brought to the surface. So the road and railroad will switch positions.

In addition, the N65 west of the railroad corridor will be put below grade in a trench. This allows one new interchange and one grade-separated crossing. Furthermore, they will expand several intersections of N65 to three through lanes in each direction. There will also be bike tunnels, new parallel roads and slow traffic will be removed from N65. Bicycle traffic will also not cross N65 via traffic lights anymore, but via alternate routes or bike tunnels, depending on the exact location. The N65 project cost is € 106 million.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2016, 10:40 PM   #13443
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Will the A65 section be extended just beyond Vught then?
Old March 29th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #13444
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

They need to extent it to Tilburg, Vught is the most difficult part, after that, it whouldn't be too costly to upgrade it at least to expressway standard (ideally, they would upgrade to A65).
Old March 29th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #13445
jajaK

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The final environmental impact assessment has been signed by the minister of transportation on 18 March.

The A10 will be put underground in a 12-lane tunnel. The project limits run along the south side of Amsterdam, between A2 and A4. The project cost is € 1.9 billion, the works should start in 2017.
Massive project, what are the factors that led to the decision to put the highway underground? Searched around the internet but didn't find any information. I have driven there and remember the fantastic amount of traffic, and by the look of the picture it is an extreme barrier - a plan to free up some space?

jajaK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #13446
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Will the A65 section be extended just beyond Vught then?
I've read that they want to extend the 70 km/h limit to the Vught motorway interchange (A2), so I think it's likely that A65 will disappear in Vught, and become N65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajaK View Post
Massive project, what are the factors that led to the decision to put the highway underground? Searched around the internet but didn't find any information. I have driven there and remember the fantastic amount of traffic, and by the look of the picture it is an extreme barrier - a plan to free up some space?
It isn't a classic barrier in the sense that it was built through an existing neighborhood. They did that in only one instance in the Netherlands (A12 in The Hague). This was a greenfield development. The Buitenveldert neighborhood was built a few years before the motorway and railroad in the late 1960s. A right-of-way for it was preserved from the beginning. They also preserved a right-of-way for the never built A3.

This 1969 topographical map shows the right of way of A10 and A3:

The original plan for this area in the 1990s and early 2000s was to put both the motorway and railroad underground, and create a massive real estate development that would rival La Défense or Canary Wharf. However it became increasingly clear that real estate could not pay for the railroad to be put underground as well.

The Amsterdam-Zuid railway station is one of the busiest in the Netherlands and is forecasted to see a significant growth over the next decade or two, so they need to expand the platforms and tracks. This doesn't fit within the existing corridor in the median of A10.

So the current plan is to put A10 underground in a 12 lane tunnel (2+4+4+2 layout) and keep a large rail yard and station above the surface (level +1).

The Amsterdam traffic patterns are rather unusual, with extremely high traffic volumes on the motorways leading into Amsterdam, with most motorways carrying 150,000 - 250,000 vehicles per day, and 200,000 vehicles per day on A10 itself. Yet not much of that traffic really penetrates deeper within central Amsterdam. There are almost no four-lane roads within A10.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Koesj, EPA001 liked this post
Old March 29th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #13447
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Badhoevedorp

The new schedule for A9 around Badhoevedorp;

* June 2016: opening of the motorway for Haarlem > Amsterdam traffic only (no through traffic)
* Late 2016: opening of motorway carriageway for through traffic from Haarlem to Amstelveen
* Early 2017: opening of motorway carriageway for through traffic from Amstelveen to Haarlem (old alignment being decommissioned).

The project is nearly one year ahead of schedule.

McBeans, Luki_SL, Suburbanist, EPA001, Turf liked this post
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:03 PM   #13448
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

What does that mean money wise? Are these savings, or do they use the same amount of man hours in a shorter time frame? And if there are savings, who is smiling? Contractor, government or both?
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2016, 09:54 PM   #13449
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a design & construct (also known as a design-build) contract. It's unclear if there are any additional cost savings.
Old March 29th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #13450
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Does RWS charge contractors for other disruptions other than lane closure?
Old March 29th, 2016, 10:57 PM   #13451
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Where was A3 meant to go? Gouda via Bodegraven?

This is probably its only remaining trace:
https://www.google.it/maps/@52.29732...!3m1!1e3?hl=it

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #13452
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

In Dutch:
https://www.wegenwiki.nl/A3_(Nederland)

Google Translate version:
https://translate.google.nl/translat...-text=&act=url

Wilhem275 liked this post
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #13453
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Where was A3 meant to go? Gouda via Bodegraven?

This is probably its only remaining trace:
https://www.google.it/maps/@52.29732...!3m1!1e3?hl=it
And then to Dordrecht. N3 there was meant to be part of A3 AFAIK.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2016, 05:16 PM   #13454
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10, Amsterdam

Another aerial photo of A10 in Amsterdam, looking west.

EPA001, SRC_100, EdgarsSTAR liked this post
Old March 31st, 2016, 06:27 PM   #13455
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1, Muiden

A1 will be closed in both directions from 6 May 20:00 hrs to 7 May 12:00 hrs to install the new arch bridge of the Amsterdam - Lelystad - Zwolle railroad over the motorway. The existing rail bridge has to be replaced for the widening of A1. The rail bridge will span 16 lanes at this point.

There are no local detours posted. Traffic will have to detour via the south side of Utrecht, via A27, A12 and A2. This stretch of A1 carries nearly 200,000 vehicles per day. Traffic is usually heavy during weekends as well, so there will likely be some major congestion on A27.

The location of the new railroad bridge:

dawid_silesia liked this post
Old March 31st, 2016, 07:06 PM   #13456
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I hope to see a time lapse of the operation

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Billly liked this post
Old March 31st, 2016, 10:50 PM   #13457
jajaK

Likes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The Amsterdam traffic patterns are rather unusual, with extremely high traffic volumes on the motorways leading into Amsterdam, with most motorways carrying 150,000 - 250,000 vehicles per day, and 200,000 vehicles per day on A10 itself. Yet not much of that traffic really penetrates deeper within central Amsterdam. There are almost no four-lane roads within A10.
Alrightalright, good insight. Also something I've noticed, cozy streets in a city of that size with a traffic amount not correlating to the highways in the country. Instead it's clogging with bikes But it's probably a good thing though, for the sake of the city-dwellers.

jajaK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 03:10 AM   #13458
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...nds-from-2025/

Quote:

Only electric cars should be sold in Netherlands from 2025

The Dutch parliament has taken the first step in banning petrol and diesel cars from sale in the Netherlands from 2025. On Tuesday the lower house supported a motion from the Labour PvdA party to do all it can to ensure all new cars are sustainable from 2025, reports NOS. Despite strong opposition from the right-wing VVD, the motion passed and the cabinet must now come up with an action plan.

Read more at DutchNews.nl: Only electric cars should be sold in Netherlands from 2025 http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...nds-from-2025/
So Dutch politicians want to ban all combustion engine vehicles in the next 10 years?

I say it's best that the supercar owners take their vehicles and run over them...

Hippies and tree huggers can go to hell
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2016, 04:40 AM   #13459
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Yeah, because electric vehicles are perfectly sustainable...

Old April 1st, 2016, 04:59 AM   #13460
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

they will just keep digging from Garzweiler into NL

Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands