daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2016, 08:13 PM   #13581
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

A lot of progress! When is the remaining part of the A9 linking to this section due ? there are two sections I thought, one under construction and one delayed till end of the 2020s due to tunnels and finance.

I hope it's the one that is under construction. As a new green minister may axe any road project not yet started.
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #13582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A9 falls under 3 (well, 4) separate projects;

* The new bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal. Nearly completed
* The 3 km long Gaasperdammer Tunnel. Under construction
* The section through Amstelveen. Planned to start in a year or two
* The Badhoevedorp bypass. Under construction. This section is not considered a part of the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere megaproject.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #13583
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Due to the very warm temperatures, there was quite a bit of congestion on highways today.
Old May 8th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #13584
McBeans

Likes (Received): 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A9 falls under 3 (well, 4) separate projects;

* The new bridge across the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal. Nearly completed
* The 3 km long Gaasperdammer Tunnel. Under construction
* The section through Amstelveen. Planned to start in a year or two
* The Badhoevedorp bypass. Under construction. This section is not considered a part of the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere megaproject.
So it is waiting for the tunnel right?
McBeans no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #13585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Badhoevedorp

New photos of A9 around Badhoevedorp. They were taken on 28 April.

Photos by Beeldbank Rijkswaterstaat

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

UnequalSine, Basnix, Turf, riiga, Slagathor and 2 others liked this post
Old May 9th, 2016, 06:20 PM   #13586
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1, Muiden

Another photo of the massive rail bridge across the A1 motorway at the Muiderberg motorway interchange.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

DK97, Basnix, Turf, The Polman, UnequalSine and 3 others liked this post
Old May 10th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #13587
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
New photos of A9 around Badhoevedorp. They were taken on 28 April.

Is underlining the capital new policy? Berlin Hauptstadt der DDR...

Koesj liked this post
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:38 PM   #13588
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

No it's because that off-ramp splits again to a northbound direction (Amsterdam) and a southbound direction (Rotterdam&schiphol), that's why there's a line between them.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:53 PM   #13589
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

I haven't seen that before though? Even in that method.
Old May 10th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #13590
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

The only other sign I know of that has this configuration is at the Zuidbroek interchange (N33xA7 in the Groningen province)

Picture from bewegwijzering.autosnelwegen.nl

However they apparently didn't like that as Streetview shows the sign altered.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #13591
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 347

Sorry for changing the subject, but why is Bremen here on the sign? Along the A7 Bremen is never mentioned, but only Oldenburg (see for example here at the Groningen city ring road, here at Scheemda and here at Winschoten). It seems a bit inconsistent to indicate Bremen at Zuidbroek rather than Oldenburg.
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 02:24 PM   #13592
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
No it's because that off-ramp splits again to a northbound direction (Amsterdam) and a southbound direction (Rotterdam&schiphol), that's why there's a line between them.
Aha, the message is not very clear though...
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:14 PM   #13593
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinFCG View Post

Sorry for changing the subject, but why is Bremen here on the sign? Along the A7 Bremen is never mentioned, but only Oldenburg (see for example here at the Groningen city ring road, here at Scheemda and here at Winschoten). It seems a bit inconsistent to indicate Bremen at Zuidbroek rather than Oldenburg.
There are probably plans to replace Oldenburg by Bremen as the main focal point on the signage. Bremen is only like 40 kilometers further down the road and is significantly more important than Oldenburg.

ErwinFCG liked this post
Old May 10th, 2016, 03:23 PM   #13594
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27, Utrecht

The design for the massive widening of A27 along the east side of Utrecht has been published. This is the draft environmental impact assessment.

It can be viewed here: http://media.xkp.nl/RWS/RingUtrecht/...52.0834/5.1309

Some screenshots.

1. The main layout between the Lunetten (A12/A27) and Rijnsweerd (A27/A28) interchanges. This is a very complex widening due to the fact that is located in a trench, partially with a foil against ground water underneath that cannot be punctured in any case. This limits the amount of options for the configuration of the lanes.

2. The Rijnsweerd interchange (A27/A28). The main task of the project is to provide additional capacity and eliminate the heavy weaving of traffic between A12 and A28.

3. De Uithof exit, one of the most congested junctions in the Netherlands. Delays are often severely underreported (when traffic information says 7 minutes, count on 30 minutes or more). There is a large office park that is served by only one interchange.

4. The Lunetten interchange (A12/A27).

5. A12 will be widened by an additional through lane on the collector lanes, giving a 4x3 setup, but this section will feature 5+3+3+5 lanes over a short distance.

keokiracer, Koesj, Bender, riiga, SRC_100 and 1 others liked this post
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:48 PM   #13595
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Knooppunt Rijnsweerd

A more detailed image of the Rijnsweerd motorway interchange (A27/A28). It is currently one of the most congested interchanges in the Netherlands, especially coming from A28 onto A27 southbound. Traffic information is reportedly severely underestimating the congestion on this stretch.

SRC_100 liked this post
Old May 10th, 2016, 05:21 PM   #13596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

traffic volumes

The forecasted traffic volumes for the A12/A27/A28 widening around Utrecht, in 2030.

They are both directions combined. The third column shows all traffic, the first shows passenger cars and the second shows trucks. The index shows the development of traffic volumes relative to 2014 and the last column shows the difference with a no-build scenario.

These are Los Angeles / Houston-like traffic volumes.

UnequalSine, keokiracer liked this post
Old May 11th, 2016, 12:53 AM   #13597
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
A more detailed image of the Rijnsweerd motorway interchange (A27/A28). It is currently one of the most congested interchanges in the Netherlands, especially coming from A28 onto A27 southbound. Traffic information is reportedly severely underestimating the congestion on this stretch.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/oDKvFoD.jpg[img]
I'm not sure if the ''ontvlechten'' idea is very redundant. Personally I like the 1x6 lane solution northwards, I cant remember ever sitting in a jam there since the widening ( though I usually traverse it midday, not during rush hour).

Very good that they will also add an extra lane per direction on the A12, however, I now see 1x4 and 1x2 lanes going to Amsersfoort, that will be troublesome, since traffic has to squeeze into just 3 lanes just a bit further. Hell it was only 2 lanes until recently. Merge 6 (or 7 if you add the onramp from Uithof) lanes into 3, that will be a huge bottleneck.

A far more flexible solution would be a new motorway from A12 near Vechten/Bunnik to just in front of Zeist /A28. Combine that with a widened N227, and perhaps 1 extra southward lane on the A27, (along with the extra lanes on the A12), and you have a far more flexible solution, traffic would not even need to go on the A27...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:02 AM   #13598
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Ideally the old idea of a 2nd (or 3rd if you count the main city roads) Ring road would be ideal, and far more flexible.

I'd love to see something like this:

snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 01:05 AM   #13599
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I also think that the A28 between Utrecht and Zeist will become a bottleneck. However, it wasn't too long ago that this stretch was only equipped with 2x2 lanes. It is a future problem that will need to be addressed in the future. Right now the A27 has the highest priority, as well as the immediate adjacent sections.

It is already planned to start the widening of A27 from Utrecht to Hilversum next year, as well as A1 from Hilversum to Amersfoort. That will leave a decent network of motorways, practically every single motorway kilometer in Utrecht province has been or will be widened 2010-2025, before 2010 such a proposal would have seemed unrealistically ambitious. But we're getting there.
Old May 11th, 2016, 05:31 AM   #13600
The Polman

Likes (Received): 800

Initially I was skeptical about the widening of the A27 at this location (I'm still quite a fan of alternative modes of transport), though I see a quite some improvement in robustness and also more efficient land use, with some space for new development in the southwestern armpit of the Rijnsweerd interchange . And in the first picture, was that a covered A27 near Amelisweerd?
The Polman está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands