daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 11th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #13601
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polman View Post
And in the first picture, was that a covered A27 near Amelisweerd?
Yes, at the Koningsweg there's an extended cover over the highway. Probably about 240 meters long (everything over 250 meters is considered a tunnel and has to meet a lot more and higher safety standards).
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:52 AM   #13602
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Yes it will be 249 meters long
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 09:24 PM   #13603
Turf
-

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

3. De Uithof exit, one of the most congested junctions in the Netherlands. Delays are often severely underreported (when traffic information says 7 minutes, count on 30 minutes or more). There is a large office park that is served by only one interchange.

]
Adding a new exit from the A27 to the university is no option here?
Turf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:41 PM   #13604
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

The University is right around the corner here, from this exit the hospital is to the left, the university to the right. The campus is also very well connected by public transport (bus every 2 min. at least to the main railway station). So a extra exit won't be that neccesary.
Old May 11th, 2016, 10:55 PM   #13605
ChrisZwolle
Road user

De Uithof is very poorly accessible for such a high-activity area. It's not located on a railway station despite featuring a university, public transport is overcrowded, a friend of mine works in De Uithof and tried the bus for a while but it's overcrowded and time-consuming for destinations outside of the city. He says traffic jams during the evening rush hour often begin in the parking garages.

Apart from the A28 exit, there is only one two-lane road (Leuvenlaan) to get in and out of De Uithof. They should've built a two-lane road to Zeist and a two-lane road to A12 at Bunnik to make it less dependent and more accessible, especially because this office / university / hospital / business park attracts commuters from a wide region.
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #13606
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N7 Groningen

A € 388 million design-construct contract has been signed this morning for the reconstruction of N7 through the northern city of Groningen. N7 will be upgraded to a controlled-access expressway with up to 2x4 lanes and a grade-separated Julianaplein motorway interchange (it is currently a set of traffic signals).

The contract is provisional, because the Council of State has not yet issued its final verdict on all appeals. However it appears unlikely that the plan would be annulled. The constructor can start with preliminary works.

The € 388 million contract is much lower than the € 666 million budget allocated for this project. It is unclear if this is a huge cost-saving, or if additional contracts need to be awarded to complete the project. Usually this type of project is awarded to a consortium that will construct the entire project. However, this is one of the few large projects in the Netherlands that is a traditional design-construct contract, many large motorway construction projects are currently a PPP with a design-build-finance-maintain structure.
Old May 13th, 2016, 07:01 PM   #13607
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere

A contract has been signed on 11 May for the expansion of A6 through Almere. The contract has been awarded to a consortium known as 'Parkway 6'. It is a DBFM contract, the contract value has not been disclosed, though it's likely several hundred million euros.

A6 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes, with a collector/express configuration (4x2 lanes). It extends from Almere-Havendreef to Almere Buiten-Oost. It is an extension of the ongoing construction south of Almere-Havendreef.

Construction will start in 2017 and is planned for completion by 2020. Parkway 6 will be responsible for maintenance over a period of 20 years. It is the 4th contract for the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere megaproject, and the 3rd DBFM contract (PPP) for this project.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old May 13th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #13608
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I find it so strange RWS doesn't publish contract values out there in the open. Otherwise, public administration in NL is rather transparent, but this secrecy around contracts bugs me a bit.
Old May 13th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #13609
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
A € 388 million design-construct contract has been signed this morning for the reconstruction of N7 through the northern city of Groningen. N7 will be upgraded to a controlled-access expressway with up to 2x4 lanes and a grade-separated Julianaplein motorway interchange (it is currently a set of traffic signals).

The contract is provisional, because the Council of State has not yet issued its final verdict on all appeals. However it appears unlikely that the plan would be annulled. The constructor can start with preliminary works.

The € 388 million contract is much lower than the € 666 million budget allocated for this project. It is unclear if this is a huge cost-saving, or if additional contracts need to be awarded to complete the project. Usually this type of project is awarded to a consortium that will construct the entire project. However, this is one of the few large projects in the Netherlands that is a traditional design-construct contract, many large motorway construction projects are currently a PPP with a design-build-finance-maintain structure.
Finally!
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #13610
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I find it so strange RWS doesn't publish contract values out there in the open. Otherwise, public administration in NL is rather transparent, but this secrecy around contracts bugs me a bit.
Me too, especially considering the large sums of money. But could it be because it isn't the final contract but one of a provisory type?
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #13611
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
A contract has been signed on 11 May for the expansion of A6 through Almere. The contract has been awarded to a consortium known as 'Parkway 6'. It is a DBFM contract, the contract value has not been disclosed, though it's likely several hundred million euros.

A6 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes, with a collector/express configuration (4x2 lanes). It extends from Almere-Havendreef to Almere Buiten-Oost. It is an extension of the ongoing construction south of Almere-Havendreef.

Construction will start in 2017 and is planned for completion by 2020. Parkway 6 will be responsible for maintenance over a period of 20 years. It is the 4th contract for the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere megaproject, and the 3rd DBFM contract (PPP) for this project.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/8ZhtOwl.png[img]
Great, no flexibility.

Are there any articles comparing express/collector vs. a classic layout on such ''low capacity'' stretches. I know collector/express makes sense on higher capacity stretches (eg. 6+ lanes per direction), but this just feels like another solution with no flexibility where there might happen situation where the collector lanes or express lanes have queues, but wouldn't be any queues at all if traffic would simply be able to make use of both so not 4x2 but 2x4...).

The situation near Leiden springs to mind, where southwards you are often much faster on the express lane, and northwards you are often much faster on the collector lanes. I often use the collector lanes northwards to skip queues (yes I'm an ******* blabla), they should have used the same amount of space and tarmac to continue 2x3 ''through'' lanes and 2 extra lanes between the 2 exits, without a barrier in between.

I believe the situation near Den Bosch is also not ideal.

Last edited by snowdog; May 14th, 2016 at 03:36 PM.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 03:45 PM   #13612
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Roermond

Roermond has a 'designer outlet' shopping center. On days like today (2nd day of Pentecost), which is a holiday in much of Europe, it attracts a lot of shoppers, especially from Germany, gridlocking the city.

Old May 16th, 2016, 03:59 PM   #13613
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Stuck in a traffic jam on the way to a shopping center; that's my idea of hell.

Wilhem275, KIWIKAAS, Kanadzie, UnequalSine liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:25 PM   #13614
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
A contract has been signed on 11 May for the expansion of A6 through Almere. The contract has been awarded to a consortium known as 'Parkway 6'. It is a DBFM contract, the contract value has not been disclosed, though it's likely several hundred million euros. A6 will be widened from 4 to 8 lanes, with a collector/express configuration (4x2 lanes). It extends from Almere-Havendreef to Almere Buiten-Oost. It is an extension of the ongoing construction south of Almere-Havendreef. Construction will start in 2017 and is planned for completion by 2020. Parkway 6 will be responsible for maintenance over a period of 20 years. It is the 4th contract for the Schiphol-Amsterdam-Almere megaproject, and the 3rd DBFM contract (PPP) for this project.
Why do they chose a 4x2 setup here? I doubt there is that much local traffic here to prefer it over a 2x4 setup.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:26 PM   #13615
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Why do they chose a 4x2 setup here? I doubt there is that much local traffic here to prefer it over a 2x4 setup.
My informed guess (but no more than that) is that there would be weaving problems between the different exit/intersections around there.
Old May 16th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #13616
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not a fan of those collector/express lanes with 8 lanes either. It requires more space, is less flexible for maintenance and snow removal operations and more easily clogs up during peak traffic.

The collector/express 4x2 configuration through Almere will require approximately 60% more width than a 2x4 configuration.

The 4x2 configuration around 's-Hertogenbosch and Eindhoven aren't a resounding success either.
Old May 18th, 2016, 12:14 PM   #13617
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some statistics over 2015 (national roads, mostly motorways):

* carriageway length: 5800 km
* slip ramps: 1616 km
* asphalt area: 76 km²
* greenery area: 199 km²
* congestion due to roadworks: 4%
* availability of capacity without lane closures or speed limit reductions: 98%
* pavement conformity (including winter maintenance): 99%
* motorway traffic management: 2675 km of carriageway
* traffic control centers: 6
* shoulder running: 338 km
* bridges replaced / renovated: 4

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:45 PM   #13618
Suburbanist
on the road

Thats sky high availability
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:55 PM   #13619
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, 98% of the time in a year full capacity is available without lane closures or speed limit reductions.

Nearly all maintenance and resurfacing work is done during the night, except for emergency repairs after incidents. For example in North Rhine-Westphalia, a German state with a similar population, area, motorway network and motorway age, there are typically 25 - 35 long-term road works throughout the year, often with moved / narrowed lanes and a reduced speed, whereas there are usually only 4 - 6 in the Netherlands, and most of the time they do not have much impact on traffic flow.

Regular resurfacing in the Netherlands does not require a long-term work zone, they close lanes and sometimes entire motorway sections during the night and sometimes whole weekends, but other than that the motorway network has very limited work zones during the day, mostly for long-term projects such as widenings. But these usually have a 90 km/h speed limit or higher. As posted previously, the A12 widening west of Arnhem has a 120 km/h workzone speed limit.

The bidding process specifically requires a plan to prevent traffic impact, and often the best construction plan gets the project awarded instead of an bid based on the lowest price alone. I think this is one of the reasons why foreign construction companies are almost never the main contractor on Dutch motorways.
Old May 19th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #13620
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6, Almere

Some aerial photos of A6 in Almere, north to south.

1. The new Almere-Havendreef interchange. This construction phase ends here, construction will continue north of here in 2017.

2. Southbound view.

3. The new Gooimeer motorway interchange.

4. Holland Bridge.

Basnix, Suburbanist, AvB, riiga, keokiracer and 7 others liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands