daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 5th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #13641
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

A9, Amsterdam

Construction starts tomorrow on the 3 kilometer long Gaasperdam Tunnel in Amsterdam. It is a 5 tube tunnel with 11 lanes, including collector lanes, through lanes and reversible lanes.

Concrete works to construct the 3 kilometer tunnel will be completed in 1 year. There will be a 'tunnel train' operation, first a crew drives 8,000 piles in the ground, then a crew will pour the concrete floor, followed by a crew to do the walls and then a crew to construct the roof.

The plan is to construct about 80 meters of tunnel each week. It's a complex construction plan as traffic needs to keep moving on A9 while the tunnel is built around it. Normally a tunnel project has 2 access roads for work traffic, this project has 15 access roads because they don't have much space to store material and machinery. It includes very complex logistics. They also need parking for the 1,000 workers that build the tunnel.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Koesj, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2016, 02:59 PM   #13642
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5839

From the Dutch forum a very nice report of opening of the first part of the A9 which is basically almost completely rebuild and partly rerouted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henk View Post
Wat foto's van het eerste stuk wegomlegging van de A9 t.h.v. Badhoevedorp. Afgelopen zaterdag is het eerste gedeelte geopend. Dit betreft het gedeelte vanaf Haarlem tot de aansluiting A4 in de richting van Amsterdam.

1. Het eerste wat zichtbaar veranderd is is de bebording.

2. Direct na knooppunt Raasdorp maakt de weg nu nog tijdelijk een kleine slinger.

3. De weg loopt gelijk omhoog over het eerste viaduct waar je de Hoofdweg en de vaart ter hoogte van Lijnden kruist.

4. Direct na het viaducht loopt de weg weer omlaag en begint de vernieuwde afslag Badhoevedorp. (Het is niet meer mogelijk om vanuit de richting Haarlem de oude afslag Badhoevedorp te nemen.

5. Vervolgens kruis je de N232 Schipholweg. Foto is van op het viaduct Schipholweg.

6. De N232 is vanwege de omlegging A9 nu verdiept aangelegt op de plaats waar de wegen elkaar kruizen. Foto is van de N232.

7. Het nieuwe viaduct is voor de rijbanen van de afslag Badhoevedorp welke na een lange rechterbocht over de A9 gaan.

8. Na de afslag Badhoevedorp buigt de weg af naar links.

9. Vanaf de plek waar de oprit vanuit Badhoevedorp erbij komt is de weg 4 baans.

10. Waarna 1 rijbaan weer overgaat in de afslag naar de A4.

11. Op het laatst komt er nog een 2de rijbaan bij voor de afslag naar de A4.

12. Daarna gaat het weer omhoog en gaan er twee rijbanen af in de richting van de A4 naar Schiphol/Den Haag.

13. De afslag in de richting van de A4 Schiphol/Den Haag is nog niet gereed.

14. Na de afslag buigt de weg af naar links en vervolgens gelijk weer naar rechts.

15. Boven aan de weg vervolgens gelijk weer naar links over de nieuwe flyover waar je de A4 kruist.

16. Het uitzicht is zoals eerder vermeld mooi als je boven op de flyover rijdt.

17. Over de flyover is een lange bocht naar links waar in de verte de aansluiting met de A4 al zichtbaar is.

18. Nog 1 keer duik je onder de Schipholweg door om weer op de A4 in de richting van Amsterdam uit te komen.
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

snowdog, wkiehl101, Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #13643
Henk

Likes (Received): 1298

Your welcome.
Henk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2016, 06:18 PM   #13644
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Van Brienenoord Bridge in the city of Rotterdam.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

UnequalSine, EPA001, SRC_100 liked this post
Old June 20th, 2016, 10:29 AM   #13645
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Ede - Arnhem

The A12 widening between Ede and Arnhem has been completed this morning. There are now three lanes in each direction, and Omroep Gelderland reports this is the first morning rush hour in ages with no traffic jams on A12 between Utrecht and Arnhem.

This is one of the best executed road works in the Netherlands ever. They had a 120 km/h workzone speed limit most of the time, and most work was done during only a few weeks. Of course the bridge works required a little more time, but there was basically no impact on traffic except for the weekend closures.

The € 110 million widening project lasted from February 2015 to June 2016, but most of the works were confined over a period of 12 weeks, except for the bridges.

Koesj, Slagathor, DK97, da_scotty, Attus and 5 others liked this post
Old June 20th, 2016, 11:35 PM   #13646
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Speeding fines are plenty in this country

Quote:

Road users were handed out speeding tickets totalling €323m last year, according to justice ministry figures. Speed limits on Dutch roads can range from 130 kph to 30 kph. Some 3.4 million drivers were caught driving too fast by static cameras, while 1.9 million people were caught by average speed checks that monitor vehicles over a longer distance. The busiest static camera was on the Maasboulevard in Rotterdam, where more than 70,000 motorists were flashed for speeding, generating €3.9m in fines. The most lucrative of the 22 average speed checks was on the A2 between Utrecht and Amsterdam, where drivers were fined a total of €36m. The justice ministry said in February that police handed out almost eight million tickets last year, down over 300,000 on 2014.

Read more at DutchNews.nl: Speeding drivers fined €323m last year http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...23m-last-year/
These A2 speed traps look more like tolls-in-disguise!
Old June 21st, 2016, 12:41 AM   #13647
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Usually I prefer section control over fixed speed checks (more flexible), but if A2 is still at 100 km/h I can see why it's happening...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:02 AM   #13648
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

The one on the Maasboulevard in Rotterdam is a tricky one yes, right after the traffic light.. Traffic there is usually crazy and people tend to speed in order to make the orange light and that will cost you.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:04 AM   #13649
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

The one on the Maasboulevard is nowhere near a traffic light:
https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.91629...7i13312!8i6656
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 02:08 AM   #13650
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3452

https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.91593...7i13312!8i6656

ah okay I thought it was this one, just a tad earlier right after the light.
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2016, 04:11 PM   #13651
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10 Coen Tunnel, Amsterdam

The Coen Tunnel (A10) in Amsterdam turns 50 years today. The first tunnel opened to traffic on 21 June 1966 after 5 years of construction.
The first tunnel was 587 meters long and had four lanes. A second tunnel was built between 2010 and 2013.

EPA001, Basnix, Attus liked this post
Old June 21st, 2016, 09:04 PM   #13652
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N302 / N23 Hoorn - Enkhuizen

Here are some new aerial photos of the 'N23' project (N302 upgrade) from Hoorn to Enkhuizen in North Holland province. It will create a new expressway, mostly with four lanes. The project has been delayed however, the settling of the embankments requires more time than anticipated, so an opening in late 2017 is not feasible. They're now gunning for the second half of 2018.

The photos run west to east.

Old June 24th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #13653
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Martinus Nijhoff Brige

The Martinus Nijhoff Bridge across the Waal River is seen on this 2009 photo.

The cable-stayed bridge opened in 1996 and replaced a narrow four-lane bridge called the 'Bommelsebrug' (after the town of Zaltbommel) that opened in 1933. This bridge was functionally obsolete even in the 1960s. They didn't demolish it until 2008-2009.

DK97 liked this post
Old June 26th, 2016, 07:21 PM   #13654
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15, Suurhoff Bridge, Rotterdam

Some details are emerging about a possible expensive bridge replacement project in the Port of Rotterdam. It concerns the Suurhoff Bridge which crosses the Hartel Canal and is the westernmost crossing in the Port of Rotterdam.

The bridge was built in the early 1970s as part of the Hartel Canal and opened to traffic in 1972. At that time it was a stand-alone segment of four-lane highway. The final grade-separation on N15 wasn't made until 2005.

The movable part of the bridge is in poor condition and needs extensive renovations. The bridge itself apparently has a service life until 2040, but a renovation would mean significant traffic impacts and reduced accessibility into the Port of Rotterdam, in particular because this is a combined road/rail bridge, the only rail link into the port.

They are now contemplating a complete replacement over a new route with less tight turns. This segment has a 70 km/h speed limit and has narrow lanes. A 2-0 workzone is reportedly not an option. There have been talks about a temporary bridge while a new bridge is being built. The cost of the temporary bridge is quoted at € 50 million and the complete project is estimated to cost 'hundreds of millions'.

However, the project planning is still in a very early phase, but more concrete plans could be unveiled by the end of the year.

Suurhoff Bridge:

Old June 26th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #13655
Suburbanist
on the road

Hundreds of millions? Why so? That would be enough for a tunnel.
Old June 26th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #13656
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I watched a presentation by Rijkswaterstaat for the Brielle municipal council.

The Suurhoff Bridge was planned for a large-scale renovation in 2018, which would extend the service life of the bridge by 30 years. The road bridge is in poor condition, the rail bridge is not planned for replacement until 2040.

The renovation was part of a larger project to renovate 14 mostly steel bridges across the Netherlands, with a method called high strength concrete. The second-busiest bridge in the Netherlands (Galecopper Bridge in Utrecht) was successfully renovated with this method over the past 2 years.

However, they found that this method is not possible for the Suurhoff Bridge due to some unique circumstances, mostly due to the weight of the high strength concrete and the shared foundation with the rail bridge. So a replacement is planned.

Now for the long term, they want to increase the clearance to 14 meters to allow larger container ships. However, this increase is not feasibile for the rail bridge, they would have to raise the embankment over a distance of 2.5 kilometers, which is not practical given this is the only rail link to the Maasvlakte container and bulk ports. So the long-term solution is a new motorway/rail bridge east of the current bridge.

However, without a renovation, the bridge deteriorates to a point of unsafety by 2020. So in either case, a new bridge has to be ready by 2020. Given the long political decision making process, plan approval procedures and construction time, a new bridge to the east is not an option by 2020. So they have to build a temporary bridge, which is estimated to cost € 50 million and will last for 10 years.

No figures for a completely new bridge are quoted in the presentation, the 'hundreds of millions' quote is from the media. But given a new alignment of both the motorway and railroad, and a much longer span diagonally across the Hartel Canal, a € 150+ million figure doesn't seem unlikely.
Old June 26th, 2016, 11:01 PM   #13657
Suburbanist
on the road

Is a tunnel an option?
Old June 27th, 2016, 04:34 PM   #13658
ChrisZwolle
Road user

If money wasn't an issue: probably. In reality: not really.

A tunnel (combined road + rail) need to have very long access routes due to the limited incline of railroads. In particular due to the fact that this railroad mainly handles heavy freight trains (there is no passenger service). This is one of the reasons why they built a new Botlek Bridge as opposed to a new Botlek Tunnel.
Old June 27th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #13659
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Jan Blanken Bridge

A nice aerial photo of the Jan Blanken Bridge across the Lek River near Nieuwegein.

On the left you'll see the 1936 bridge, which had four lanes. It was the first modern road bridge across the Lek at this location. It was destroyed during World War II and rebuilt in 1948.

The bridge was replaced by the first span of the Jan Blanken Bridge in 1999. It had 2x2, later 2x3 lanes, which was part of the A2 widening in the area. A second span was built in 2004, featuring 2x3 lanes and auxiliary lanes. A further widening was done in 2011, when A2 was widened from six to eight through lanes.

This photo was taken prior to the widening to 2x4 lanes.

keokiracer, snowdog, 8166UY liked this post
Old June 27th, 2016, 05:19 PM   #13660
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A tunnel (combined road + rail) need to have very long access routes due to the limited incline of railroads. In particular due to the fact that this railroad mainly handles heavy freight trains (there is no passenger service).
Just for the record, 12,5x1000 is the incline limit for freight traffic in Europe.
Of course, the less the better

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands