daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:13 PM   #13861
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

That was during the construction and it was supposed to resemble the famous Dutch flower fields.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2016, 07:44 PM   #13862
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

Something with the concrete hardening and having to be covered for some reason I believe.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 08:38 PM   #13863
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A9, Badhoevedorp

Installation of prefabricated beams of the new A9 across the railroad near Schiphol Airport.

The extensive use of prefabricated beams is one of the reasons why bridge construction in the Netherlands doesn't require much time. They can build the entire bridge in a couple of months instead of 1 - 1.5 years. It has also less impact on traffic and train services, as the portion over the road can be done during a weekend or night closure, instead of requiring a long-term construction zone.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

ParadiseRacer32, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #13864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure

New aerial photos of the Joure Interchange. The roundabout will be replaced by a directional T interchange with flyovers about a kilometer to the south. A new exit to Joure will be constructed near the current location of the roundabout.

It will be completed in 2017.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, junky, 8166UY, Basnix, Japanac and 9 others liked this post
Old October 5th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #13865
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27/A1 widening

Financial close A27/A1 PPP motorway project

3Angle B.V., comprising of Heijmans Capital (a joint venture of Heijmans and 3i Infrastructure), 3i Infrastructure and Fluor Infrastructure, has reached the financial close for the A27/A1 public private partnership (PPP) project running between Utrecht North – Eemnes Junction and the Bunschoten-Spakenburg interchange.

The financial close follows the provisional awarding of the project announced on 30 June 2016. The project’s contract value amounts to approximately € 220 million (including management and maintenance for a period of 25 years).
Press release: http://www.heijmans.nl/en/news/finan...orway-project/

€ 220 million is below the € 261 million budget for this project. This is another example of how PPP allows quick construction, it takes less than two years to widen 24 kilometers of motorway, where A1 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes and A27 from 2x2 to 2x3 with space for 2x4.

snowdog, Bender, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 7th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #13866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N356 Drachten - Dokkum

The 21 kilometer four lane expressway (N356) from Drachten to Dokkum will open to traffic this evening. It is one of the largest provincial road projects in the Netherlands.

g.spinoza, Basnix, Trucker1991, Baarda, DK97 and 8 others liked this post
Old October 7th, 2016, 07:17 PM   #13867
Dijk.

Likes (Received): 490

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Regarding A1 in Muiden, what is going on here? The pattern is also on the other side of the canal.

https://www.google.no/maps/@52.32309.../data=!3m1!1e3
I think those are large pieces of fabric lying on top of the concrete so the concrete can stiffen properly
Old October 7th, 2016, 11:38 PM   #13868
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Leiden

A new grade-separation opened to traffic this evening in Leiden, at the Plesmanlaan-Haagse Schouwweg (N206) intersection.

It's close to the 'motorway overpass' sport cafeteria that was built in 1939-1940 for a motorway feeder to A4 that was never completed after WW II.

snowdog, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 8th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #13869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9

The northbound bridge of A9 across the 'side canal C' near Haarlem won't close. This leads to a massive traffic jam.

The first mechanic on scene couldn't repair it, so they needed another mechanic to manually close the bridge. Traffic has been stopped for three hours.

Old October 9th, 2016, 07:49 PM   #13870
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Opening bridges don't belong on motorways .

Such a tiny group creating huge loss of time and inconvenience to such a big group.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:37 AM   #13871
WillBuild

Likes (Received): 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
However, there may be good news. A motion was passed recently to add a third through lane at Leiden, creating a 1+3+3+1 configuration.

A third lane would be very easy to construct, the pavement is already there in the Limes Aquaduct, and a wide median is available elsewhere.
One could wonder whether this has been the plan all along

A 6 lane road is easier to get past critics than an 8 lane one. But if you build for 8 lanes from the start and wait for the need to become clear..

Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor. This just seemed so obvious each time I drove through that wide tunnel (outside rush hour, so I had less time to ponder it than the regulars, even).
WillBuild no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2016, 01:44 PM   #13872
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

The trench/tunnel/aqueduct/whatever you want to call it has room for ten (probably twelve) lanes anyway, and IIRC the parallel setup to the south is good for 2-3-3-2 room-wise.

But it's like Chris said: the EIS was pretty ancient when it was finally built, and six (split) lanes just don't cut it even though they're brand new.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2016, 12:26 PM   #13873
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Here's the new A1 alignment as seen from the air (the old motorway is to the right, and currently being demolished):

Source: @RWS_SAA
Old October 11th, 2016, 02:44 PM   #13874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Merwede Bridge

The A27 Merwede Bridge near Gorinchem has been closed to all truck traffic, effective immediately.

They inspected the bridge for the planned widening of A27, in which the bridge will be turned into a one-way facility with 3 northbound lanes. They found fatigue on the beams of the north arch last week and closed it for heavy trucks over 60 tons.

They now found out the southern arch is in a poorer condition, and they closed it for all traffic over 3.5 tons, to keep the bridge from deteriorating any further. It's unknown how long the truck ban will be kept in place.

The bridge carries 95,000 vehicles per day, including 19,000 trucks, far beyond the anticipated traffic volumes when the bridge was designed in the 1950s. The bridge opened to traffic in 1961. The bridge was quickly outdated with no shoulders and only a curb as the median divider. A crash barrier was added later.

NS162, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 11th, 2016, 07:52 PM   #13875
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Merwede Bridge update

There is some more news about the truck ban at the Merwede Bridge near Gorinchem.

Road authority Rijkswaterstaat already planned a 2-month construction project to strengthen the bridge, which was planned to begin within several weeks. They are now looking into accelerating that project.

The goal is to strengthen the bridge sufficiently to have it in operation with no limitations, which means even special transports over 60 tons will be able to cross the bridge.

The main problem is fatigue on the beams. It is a steel bridge, so this problem is not uncommon for older bridges. The standard inspection cycle is an extensive inspection every 6 years and a visual inspection every 2 years. The next extensive inspection was planned for next year.

They do not anticipate that a replacement is necessary in the near or medium-term future. The planned widening can proceed as planned, and even takes some load off the bridge, as it will only carry northbound traffic, potentially slashing the amount of trucks in half.
Old October 12th, 2016, 12:06 AM   #13876
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
Here's the new A1 alignment as seen from the air (the old motorway is to the right, and currently being demolished):

Source: @RWS_SAA
What is the two lane road inbetween the main carriageways? Maybe HOV or C/D lanes in one direction?
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #13877
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

They're indeed reversible rush hour express lanes.

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 10:51 AM   #13878
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They are reversible lanes indeed. They operate westbound in the morning and eastbound in the evening, so there are 7 lanes of traffic in the peak direction.

There are no HOV restrictions, but I think they don't allow semi trucks.

The original reversible lane on the now demolished stretch of A1 did have a carpool restriction on it when it opened in 1993. However they opened it to all cars 10 months later because it wasn't legal. The reversible lane was then expanded to two lanes in 2011. And it is now incorporated in the relocated A1.

The reversible lane will extend all the way across A9 to the Holendrecht interchange (A2) and across A6 to Almere. I wonder if this will be the longest reversible lane in Europe. It will be some 20 kilometers long.

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
Old October 12th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #13879
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Thanks for replies. I'm surprised that this was considered the optimum layout. You can see that the barriers either side of the express lanes take up nearly two lanes' width, so with two sets of barriers, 12 lanes and 2 hard shoulders you have an approximately 18 lane cross section.

For the same width they could have had a US-style 5+2+2+5 arrangement, with just one set of barriers in the middle. The inner express/HOV lanes would be separated only by paint or a low kerb from the main carriageway, providing a permanent seven running lanes in each direction and no need for the additional operational issues involved with a tidal flow system.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #13880
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 LED lighting

They are going to install LED lighting along A2 between Amsterdam and Utrecht. Road authority Rijkswaterstaat calls it the 'widest motorway in the world lit by LED'. It will reduce electricity consumption by 38%, the investment will pay itself off within 7 years. The current lighting was due for replacement anyway.

The LED lights will illuminate 2x5-2x6 lanes. LED will save 241,600 KWh per year.

EPA001 liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands