daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 12th, 2016, 11:26 PM   #13881
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Suicidal traffic control at A27 to enforce the truck ban at the Merwede Bridge: https://twitter.com/vid/status/786293583959687169
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #13882
JB1981

Likes (Received): 22

MrAronymous liked this post
JB1981 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2016, 05:26 PM   #13883
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere - Lelystad

The minister of transportation has taken the 'initial decision' to start procedures for the A6 widening between Almere and Lelystad.

The budget has been increased from € 35 to € 50 million. The plan is to expand A6 from the east side of Almere to the south side of Lelystad from four to six lanes. A6 has a very wide median along this stretch.

They will also construct a new interchange to Lelystad Airport, which in the future may also serve traffic to and from new developments on the south side of Lelystad. The interchange is constructed separately from the widening project and will be including in a zoning plan.

Expected milestones;
* draft environmental assessment: 2019
* final environmental assessment: 2020
* construction: 2021-2023 (it will probably take less than a year).

A signature photo-op:

A6 between Almere and Lelystad:
image hosted on flickr

A6-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old October 13th, 2016, 09:19 PM   #13884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Merwede Bridge update

The truck ban at the Merwede Bridge of A27 near Gorinchem appears to affect the traffic flow in a very large area.

There are two problems here;

* 19,000 trucks per day are being detoured. Which means more turning traffic on interchanges not designed for that, and a higher volume of trucks on alternate motorways.

* there is an inspection point with single lane traffic to handle the remaining 76,000 cars per day. This leads to massive congestion, with delays up to 2 hours being reported.

A lot of traffic is seeking alternate routes, but river crossings are few and far between. A2 and A16/N3 are the nearby crossings, but are already loaded to the max during regular rush hour traffic, so congestion is building on these routes as well. Some traffic then flows over to river crossings farther away, such as A50 which is also experiencing heavier than usual traffic.

Situation map:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old October 13th, 2016, 10:34 PM   #13885
The Polman

Likes (Received): 800

It's really ridiculous what is happening there, a situation one might expect in Germany, the US Rust Belt or somewhere in the third world, but not here. This is the effect of ignorance from multiple parties but even more uneven distribution of money towards less urgent projects and above-law measures in the Randstad (or even the noise screens in Poland, just to illustrate how many EU funds goes that way) instead of investing in crucial backbones towards provinces, like/especially Brabant. We can be very happy that inspectors detected the crack, that that job has not been trimmed. It might seem like a small detour, but as the explanation () says, it's not. Going from Altena to Utrecht by truck or bus even more, is now officially a nightmare.
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:03 AM   #13886
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

I might start a ferry service, make some money.

That widening in Flevoland... Is that really necessary?

The Polman liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:16 AM   #13887
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I might start a ferry service, make some money.

I think it is, Lelystaad is set to boom once Almere is "build out", especially with current prices in Amsterdam. I'm considering moving to Lelystad if I get a job position in Amsterdam I'm being considered to. I also love the hierarchical road network of that city. It is so modern and different.
Old October 14th, 2016, 11:06 AM   #13888
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Tilburg, Lelystad... Why do you hate yourself?

Personally I have the impression Dutch people will literally move anywhere to avoid Lelystad. I know a good few people who moved to Rotterdam because renting a place in Amsterdam is too expensive and the high speed railway line makes commuting very efficient. But those people would never move to Lelystad.

Of course those things can change, but there are so many other options...
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 12:17 PM   #13889
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Tilburg, Lelystad... Why do you hate yourself?

Personally I have the impression Dutch people will literally move anywhere to avoid Lelystad. I know a good few people who moved to Rotterdam because renting a place in Amsterdam is too expensive and the high speed railway line makes commuting very efficient. But those people would never move to Lelystad.

Of course those things can change, but there are so many other options...
I live alone, don't have any family nearby (relatives come often), and I travel a lot. Lelystad real estate, even close to the station, is 60% cheaper than in Amsterdam. If the job pans out, I'll get 1st class free train travel, so I can work en-route to Amsterdam Zuid every day.

Rotterdam is nice as well, it is another option.
Old October 14th, 2016, 01:04 PM   #13890
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The minister of transportation has taken the 'initial decision' to start procedures for the A6 widening between Almere and Lelystad.

The budget has been increased from € 35 to € 50 million. The plan is to expand A6 from the east side of Almere to the south side of Lelystad from four to six lanes. A6 has a very wide median along this stretch.

They will also construct a new interchange to Lelystad Airport, which in the future may also serve traffic to and from new developments on the south side of Lelystad. The interchange is constructed separately from the widening project and will be including in a zoning plan.

Expected milestones;
* draft environmental assessment: 2019
* final environmental assessment: 2020
* construction: 2021-2023 (it will probably take less than a year).

A signature photo-op:

A6 between Almere and Lelystad:
image hosted on flickr

A6-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Thats nice, but on another to-Amsterdam packed jammed to small road is nothing new.
What about the A7-A8 between Hoorn and Amsterdam? Any news on that one? Rushhour lanes are constructed between Purmerend-Zuid and the A8, but still the traffic is quite high and even jammed in weekends. There was a notice to a investigation a year ago.. Nothing heard ever since.
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:25 PM   #13891
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I live alone, don't have any family nearby (relatives come often), and I travel a lot. Lelystad real estate, even close to the station, is 60% cheaper than in Amsterdam. If the job pans out, I'll get 1st class free train travel, so I can work en-route to Amsterdam Zuid every day.

Rotterdam is nice as well, it is another option.
Another thing I don't understand is why there's a load of IC Direct to Amsterdam CS but no connection to Zuid. Ok, there's plenty of possibilities from Schiphol, but that's not the same...

Whops, wrong thread

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:26 PM   #13892
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The budget has been increased from € 35 to € 50 million. The plan is to expand A6 from the east side of Almere to the south side of Lelystad from four to six lanes.
That means just € 3 million per kilometer?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:38 PM   #13893
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
It is identified in a capacity analysis (NMCA) to be a bottleneck already in the low growth scenario. Another issue is that A6 would drop from 8 to 4 lanes at Almere-Buiten-Oost due to the SAA project ending there.

Overall traffic volumes aren't too extreme there, but there is a relatively high peak during rush hour because many people in Lelystad (and far beyond, even into Friesland) commute to Amsterdam or Utrecht.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
That means just € 3 million per kilometer?
Yes, it's a very cheap project. There are only a few bridges on this route, two sets of small bridges across non-navigable canals need to be widened, and overpasses over the motorway have sufficient space for more lanes underneath.

Usually projects like this do not just include a widening, but also a reconstruction of the pavement across all lanes, so that at least the top layers are all the same age. If necessary, they'll do a full-depth repavement as well, but those type of works are relatively rare in the Netherlands because they usually replace the top layers before damage can reach the foundation. That's the primary reason why there is so little road works in the Netherlands compared to Germany or Belgium. Overlaying is almost always done in the overnight hours.

This year they're resurfacing the asphalt on A28 through Zwolle. In a German-style workzone, that would mean a lane closure and massive congestion for possibly two construction seasons. But in the Netherlands they do it overnight with no speed or capacity reductions during the day, so traffic is business as usual (free-flow).

In mid-2016, only 2.8% of traffic congestion was due to road works.
Old October 14th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #13894
ChrisZwolle
Road user

diesel emissions scandal

The Dutch Department of Motor Vehicles (RDW) has conducted a series of real-world emission tests on a range of Euro 6 diesel-powered passenger cars, delivery/cargo vans and heavy trucks.

The findings;
* Volkswagen is the only carmaker to have used active 'defeat devices' that manipulate emission tests.
* however a large range of diesel cars emit more NOx at lower temperatures or after a certain time of operation than during a laboratory test.

The first is illegal, the last is not (yet) illegal. Carmakers claim a clause in the EU directive that allow engine management to change its behavior to 'protect the engine'. In some cases a temperature drop by a few degrees, or a few minutes more than a typical laboratory test is enough to emit (much) more NOx.

The real-world NOx emissions found by RDW are comparable to other countries' tests in 2015-2016.

Other findings;
* 16 out of 30 diesel cars tested have higher NOx emissions at lower temperatures
* delivery vans and cargo vans (< 3.5 tons) also have higher NOx emissions
* all tested heavy duty trucks conform to the emission standards

The last point is rather important, because only a small share of the Dutch passenger cars run on diesel, the conformity of heavy trucks to emission standards is a key reason why air quality along motorways in the Netherlands has improved significantly between 2009 and 2015, despite the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

UnequalSine, EPA001 liked this post
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:16 PM   #13895
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Merwede Bridge update

A flyer is being distributed in 4 languages.

flyer A27 Merwedebrug NL PL DE EN by European Roads, on Flickr

Luki_SL liked this post
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #13896
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

in polish and not in french ?
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 06:43 PM   #13897
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Polish truckers make up a very large share (perhaps as much as 50%) of all foreign trucks in the Netherlands. They are definitely *much* more numerous than French truckers, though French may have been a good 5th language, especially due to the proximity of French-speaking Belgium.

It has been reported that despite the truck ban (which is displayed on traffic signs and VMSs), as much as 200 trucks/hour defy the ban and want to drive across the bridge.

VITORIA MAN, Luki_SL, The Polman liked this post
Old October 14th, 2016, 07:03 PM   #13898
sotonsi

I gather that Slavic languages are sort of understandable to those who speak another, though it is surprising that French is missing as the places to the S/W of the Netherlands have it as a first or second language.

Perhaps it might have to do with trucking companies typically being from places where they speak a Slavic language and/or where German or English is the second language, rather than French.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #13899
VITORIA MAN
on skycrapercity

Likes (Received): 14404

and in spanish , the second language in the world ??? i'm joking
VITORIA MAN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2016, 10:44 PM   #13900
roaddor

Likes (Received): 5509

The motorway network in the Netherlands is so dense that there is hardly anything left to be done.

Chris, I was intrigued to know more about the I/C on your avatar. It is a beautiful 4-level stack but it seems at first glance that there are additional elements to it. I assume it comes from the US where such interchanges are typical. Could you please provide some details about this piece of art, if possible with a bigger picture to see all served directions? Thanks in advance.
roaddor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands