daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2016, 03:28 AM   #13941
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Signs near the bridge indicate it's closed for buses as well. They said they can't install a '3.5 t' sign because it cannot be enforced without some kind of portable weigh station.

Only a very small share of traffic is over 3.5 tons, but not a truck or bus. And most of those will only be slightly over 3.5 tons, so it's not considered a problem.

The usage of the word 'lorry' is interesting. It's correct British English, but it appears to me that most Europeans who do not have British English as a native language use the word 'truck'. Just look around on these forums, the word 'lorry' (or HGV if you will) is hardly used outside of a UK context.
Portable weigh station? Weight category is stated in vehicle's registration papers...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2016, 11:15 AM   #13942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Yes, but if you have a 3 ton vehicle + heavy trailer, the whole combination could be over 3.5 tons without being a bus or truck. But that can only be enforced with a portable weigh station.

However, the far majority of these combinations are likely only slightly over 3.5 tons, it's not considered a problem to be worth enforcing for now.

In an extreme example, it could be something like this:
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 12:31 PM   #13943
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I have rarely, if ever, seen such combinations in Dutch highways. Maybe it is more common in Fryslân, Groningen and Drenthe? I do see tractors pulling other tractors on 2-lane roads, they have quite a few roads marked "overtaking forbidden except over agricultural vehicles"
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:09 PM   #13944
8166UY

Likes (Received): 294

Also never seen it in my life and I grey up in Fryslân...
8166UY no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:25 PM   #13945
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I know someone who drives a pick-up like that (for work purposes) but he practically never tows anything even though he needs diggers etc. as equipment.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2016, 08:28 PM   #13946
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I meant to say that people could drive such a combination with the towing vehicle being under 3.5 tons, but the entire combination over 3.5 tons, which is not listed as such on the license card.

You sometimes see contractors with a Ford F-150 / 250, a Chevrolet Silverado, a Toyota Tundra or some other heavy duty pickup truck with a small excavator on a trailer. These are definitely over 3.5 tons, some heavy duty pickup trucks have towing capacities of over 5 tons.
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:43 AM   #13947
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Yeah I see that kind of thing with contractors and especially the farmer's market people here in Groningen.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2016, 11:22 AM   #13948
M-NL
Mixed-mode traveller

Likes (Received): 274

We will probably not see to many category B heavy duty pickup trucks in Europe anyways: A F-250 Super duty, for instance, has a curb weight of at least 2950 kg, leaving a staggering payload of 550 kg including all the occupants, making the thing pretty much useless. Now I don't know what the weight on a fifth wheel would be, but I doubt that a maximum of around 350 kg (550kg minus 2 occupants and some stuff) for a heavy trailer would make for a stable combination.
Old October 24th, 2016, 10:51 PM   #13949
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen

An update of the N31 project in the northern city of Harlingen. N31 is being upgraded to a four-lane divided highway with an aquaduct (canal underpass).

Een pracht plaatje! by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Tijdelijke bypass Kimswerderweg by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Werkzaamheden vanuit de lucht (2) by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Skyline Harlingen by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Basnix, kamilbuk, EPA001, Turf, Luki_SL and 5 others liked this post
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #13950
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I'd like to hear Chris' opinion on this design in Zwolle:

I like it, but I think it works mostly because they applied a design to which motorists are already well accustomed.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:27 AM   #13951
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Has already been discussed in the Cycling in The Netherlands thread, including response from Chris
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post106507121
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2016, 12:36 AM   #13952
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I didn't even know we had that section Thank you

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old October 25th, 2016, 02:02 AM   #13953
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-NL View Post
We will probably not see to many category B heavy duty pickup trucks in Europe anyways: A F-250 Super duty, for instance, has a curb weight of at least 2950 kg, leaving a staggering payload of 550 kg including all the occupants, making the thing pretty much useless. Now I don't know what the weight on a fifth wheel would be, but I doubt that a maximum of around 350 kg (550kg minus 2 occupants and some stuff) for a heavy trailer would make for a stable combination.
But the gross weight is not 3,5 t but 6,35 t

http://www.ford.ca/trucks/superduty/specifications/
Old October 25th, 2016, 09:39 PM   #13954
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
An update of the N31 project in the northern city of Harlingen. N31 is being upgraded to a four-lane divided highway with an aquaduct (canal underpass).

Een pracht plaatje! by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Tijdelijke bypass Kimswerderweg by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Werkzaamheden vanuit de lucht (2) by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Skyline Harlingen by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr
such an coincidence, I drove this weekend through Harlingen from the Afsluitdijk! From the Afsluitdijk to Groningen its an great route
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #13955
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N305 Zeewolde

Quote:
A groundbreaking ceremony has been held for the twinning of provincial road N305 in Flevoland province. It will extend the four-lane segment of N305 from Zeewolde to the N302 intersection.

Google Maps erroneously classifies N305 as an expressway while it is in fact a 100 km/h two-lane / partially four-lane road without grade-separation
And just like that, 11 months later the project is completed. They inaugurated the N305 twinning today. It's 5 kilometers more 2x2 divided highway now. This is not a controlled-access highway, but there are no intersections except at either end.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Luki_SL, geometarkv liked this post
Old October 26th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #13956
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have rarely, if ever, seen such combinations in Dutch highways. Maybe it is more common in Fryslân, Groningen and Drenthe? I do see tractors pulling other tractors on 2-lane roads, they have quite a few roads marked "overtaking forbidden except over agricultural vehicles"
I've driven a combination like this:

But that was at my grandfather's farm in Minnesota when he needed some livestock to go to the slaughterhouse in Fergus Falls, 100 km south...
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2016, 08:02 PM   #13957
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Quote:
It is such a civilized thing that today gay marriages are so widely accepted in the Netherlands, that they will even be joyfully celebrated in the middle of a roundabout

Old October 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #13958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Maastricht

They hold a 'tunnel weekend' this weekend in Maastricht, where you can visit the new King Willem-Alexander Tunnel on 29 and 30 October. I went there today, here are some photos by a friend. There was huge attendance.

There were two visits possible, walking through the upper tubes of the future local lanes, or cycling through the lower tubes of the future express lanes. We went walking as during the cycle trip, stopping was not allowed. People could bring their bike or reserve one, apparently there were over 10,000 applications for bike reservations.

1. The southern tunnel portal.

DSC_0133.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

2. Same location, looking south to Liège.

DSC_0141.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

3. Sign with tunnel symbol.

DSC_0040.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

4. The tube for local southbound traffic.

DSC_0041.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

5. Inside the upper tube for southbound traffic.

DSC_0092.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr
Old October 30th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #13959
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere

A6 from Almere to A1 is closed this weekend for major paving operations. They also install new signage.

SRC_100, Bender, spartannl, geometarkv liked this post
Old October 30th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #13960
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
They hold a 'tunnel weekend' this weekend in Maastricht, where you can visit the new King Willem-Alexander Tunnel on 29 and 30 October. There was huge attendance.
Total attendance came out at 25,000 people, making it one of the best visited open days for a road project ever.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands