daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2016, 05:54 PM   #13961
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

LED lighting

LED will now become the standard lighting on motorways. They will introduce it on all reconstruction, replacement or greenfield projects.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2016, 06:14 PM   #13962
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Unless you live outside the Randstad, I guess, where darkness prevails.

temlin, xanpo_pegna liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 09:28 PM   #13963
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A6 from Almere to A1 is closed this weekend for major paving operations. They also install new signage.

Thanks for mentioning. I need to go from Groningen to The Hague this saturday

Bender liked this post
renroz está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2016, 10:03 PM   #13964
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

I believe it was last weekend, but anyway, isn't the A12/A28 combination faster for you?
Old October 31st, 2016, 11:48 PM   #13965
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
A6 from Almere to A1 is closed this weekend for major paving operations. They also install new signage.
Hehe, pity I did not check the thread, eh never mind that would be too late anyway. Google did not show any problems . I had to notice it the hard way in Emmeloord. . And I was really looking forward to the new aqueduct .
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 12:53 PM   #13966
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
I believe it was last weekend, but anyway, isn't the A12/A28 combination faster for you?
From Groningen, A7-A6 is faster to most destinations in the Randstad. Even to Utrecht, A7-A6-A27 is usually faster than taking the A28 from the beginning to the end. I think mostly because the A28 has a detour via Hoogeveen, and the maximum speed is low in Zwolle.
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 02:56 PM   #13967
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Message to all Dutch members: Could you please stop rubbing our faces in your perfectly-planned, quickly-executed civil engineering marvels? A bit of compassion for your suffering neighbors would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.
Old November 1st, 2016, 04:43 PM   #13968
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There's still a ton of congestion to worry about, especially this time of the year. A very low share of congestion is due to road works (around 3%) but incidents and lack of capacity are still major problems.

The Dutch road network still has a huge backlog, as it transformed from an intercity motorway network to a metropolitan road network since the 1980s. A significant amount of mileage still needs a widening and many motorway-to-motorway interchanges need upgrading.

The need for new greenfield motorway projects is limited though. Many of the long-term missing links are recently completed or will be within the next 5 years.
Old November 1st, 2016, 05:39 PM   #13969
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
The need for new greenfield motorway projects is limited though. Many of the long-term missing links are recently completed or will be within the next 5 years.
There is still a plausible need for a handful of new links, such as connecting Doetinchem with Enschede*, Zwolle and Almelo, Eindhoven with Belgian border, extending A30 to A15, and something expensive and full of tunnels to solve access problems southwest of Den Haag (linking A44 with the A20 terminus) through the build-up area.

*I consider the Achterhoek to be the region with worse road access in Netherlands, other than Texel island.
Old November 1st, 2016, 07:09 PM   #13970
Bender
Rugged Individualist

Likes (Received): 116

Quote:

The Dutch road network still has a huge backlog, as it transformed from an intercity motorway network to a metropolitan road network since the 1980s. A significant amount of mileage still needs a widening and many motorway-to-motorway interchanges need upgrading.
A bit of backlog and some missing links would be seen as First World Problems here in Duitsland

I am often bitching about the absolute embarrassment that is road works in Germany. If some politician tries to justify the situation by usual BS such as "you don't understand" "it's tough" "can't be done" "quality takes time", we can point at Holland and say "Dude, shut up".

Full disclosure: I don't envy your insane level of BPM, though.

TM_Germany, UnequalSine liked this post
Bender no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 09:14 PM   #13971
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N361 Winsum - Mensingeweer

A 3.5 kilometer new alignment of provincial road N361 was completed this weekend in Groningen province. They built a new two-lane, 80 km/h road that bypasses the village of Mensingeweer and replaces a narrow 60 km/h section of N361.

It's one of several projects to make N361 a safer road. Construction lasted for 15 months.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, snowdog liked this post
Old November 1st, 2016, 09:44 PM   #13972
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
If some politician tries to justify the situation by usual BS such as
"unexpected", e.g. "unexpected weather conditions"...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:53 AM   #13973
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 346

N7 Groningen southern ring road - planning

Quote:
The Council of State today has dismissed the appeals against the reconstruction of N7 through the northern city of Groningen. This means construction can start, it is already tendered, so construction could possibly begin before the end of the year.

It's one of the most expensive (per km) projects in the Netherlands, with a budget of € 666 million to upgrade a 4 km stretch of N7 to a fully controlled-access expressway with up to eight lanes. However, the main contract came in much lower at € 388 million.
I think after this post by Chris, there has been no update yet on the planning of the work for the N7 in Groningen (southern section of the ring road). On the website of the project, there is now an overview of the phases of the work.

In general, the project has been divided in four 'clusters'. Work starts in early-2017, except for works on underground cables, pipelines, and sewer systems (has already started) and the demolition of a few houses to make more space (starts this week).
  • Cluster West: The A7 motorway (direction Amsterdam) from the western suburb of Hoogkerk to the city. The work includes increased capacity on part of this road section, the construction of additional motorway exits at Hoogkerk specifically for public buses (2017), and rebuilding the Vrijheidsplein junction (A7/southern ring road/western ring road). The Vrijheidsplein is now a roundabout with a flyover for the A7-southern ring road; it will be a completely grade-separated junction (2018-2020). During construction, there will be narrowed lanes and some diversions of traffic, but no major traffic disruption is expected for this cluster.
  • Cluster Julianaplein: The A28/southern ring road junction. Now a road intersection with traffic lights, it will be a grade-separated stack interchange (see image below). For during the construction (2018-2021), a temporary junction with traffic lights will be built just next to the current one, with the same capacity, so there is space for the construction of the flyovers. No major traffic disruption expected.
  • Cluster 'tunnel': The main section of the southern ring road will be constructed below ground level, with a few covers (officially it is not a tunnel, but a road covered by a series of a few very wide bridges). This section is expected to lead to most of the traffic disruption. The road will be narrowed to four narrow lanes, two per direction, on the northern (west-bound) part of the current road (2017). Then the southern (east-bound) part can be demolished to make space for the 'tunnel' (2018). The new road should be opened to traffic by early-2021. Related to this cluster is a new road tunnel under the railway, about 1 km to the south (construction 2017-2018). The current railway crossing is under the ring road, but once the ring road has been built in a tunnel, that is not possible anymore. Next to where the ring road crosses the railway, a bicycle tunnel will be added.
  • Cluster East: the part of the southern ring road east of the tunnel, leading to the A7 (direction Germany). The Europaplein exit will be rebuilt so that no traffic lights are needed anymore. This is a major exit leading to among others the city centre, the university hospital, and the football stadium. Most of the work can be done without major disruptions, except in the summer of 2018 the west-bound lanes will be closed for six weeks, and in the summer of 2019 all lanes will be closed for six weeks. Construction is planned from early-2018 to early-2020.
Of course we will have to wait and see whether the traffic disruption can be really limited in the way they suggest. Some additional measures are/will be taken, for example incentives for companies to let their employees work at home or start work before/after rush hours, incentives for cycling and public transport (e.g. using the P+R facilities), and additional matrix signs for real-time traffic information and deviations. An additional complication may be that Groningen's main railway station will also be reconstructed in the coming years. I haven't seen any information yet on how the two projects are adjusted to each other.

Image of the Julianaplein junction in 2021. Left is A28 towards Assen/Utrecht, top is N7/A7 towards Drachten/Amsterdam, top right is into the city, right is N7/A7 towards Hoogezand/Germany. (image from www.aanpakringzuid.nl).

Photo of the current situation of the Julianaplein junction from the same angle, with traffic lights. (image from www.aanpakringzuid.nl).
Old November 2nd, 2016, 12:40 PM   #13974
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice! This is a very complex project, I'm thinking this is more difficult than the A9 tunnel in Amsterdam, where they have more space and more lanes to work with.

Another very complex project to start soon is the southern part of A10 in Amsterdam, which will be built underground. It may be comparable in complexity with the 'Madrid Calle 30' project that ran from 2004-2007, except with a busy railroad in the median instead of a rivier.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:37 PM   #13975
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdamsebaan, The Hague

They started construction on the construction pit of the Rotterdamsebaan Tunnel in The Hague. They will build the pit so the tunnel boring machine can be assembled in it.

Aanleg bouwkuip Vlietzone by Rotterdamsebaan, on Flickr

Aanleg bouwkuip Vlietzone by Rotterdamsebaan, on Flickr
Old November 2nd, 2016, 09:07 PM   #13976
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N355 Hurdegaryp

Aerial footage of the new N355 bypass of Hurdegaryp in Friesland province (east of Leeuwarden). The N355 is a four-lane divided bypass of the town of Hurdegaryp that will tie into the recently opened N356 expressway from Drachten to Dokkum.

The Hurdegaryp bypass will open to traffic on 18 November.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old November 3rd, 2016, 01:50 AM   #13977
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:

For now... but long-term the clever Dutch will probably create another 50% more Netherlands into the ocean and need more motorways over there

Wilhem275 liked this post
Kanadzie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 02:22 AM   #13978
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanadzie View Post
For now... but long-term the clever Dutch will probably create another 50% more Netherlands into the ocean and need more motorways over there
It would be interesting if they drained the IJmeer and built another polder there (as planned in the 1950s).
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:21 PM   #13979
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

You people have heard of melting polar ice caps, right? We'll be moving to Apeldoorn much sooner than into the North-fvcking-Sea.

Although if we get another 100 or so years, at some point we'll probably start building floating cities. And then there'll be a referendum to push them to somewhere where the weather is a little nicer. Either way, we're not building an A80 to Doggerland.

UnequalSine liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:34 PM   #13980
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Well, maybe a floating A80 to Doggerland...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Slagathor liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands