daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 21st, 2016, 08:29 PM   #14121
Proterra
Korpus niedyplomatyczny

Likes (Received): 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
I would have no problem driving 190km/h on the nearby A4 during the night. Pretty much deserted anyways. But I wont do it because I like my drivers license too much
It's a gorgeous road for that. I made it from the Heinenoord Tunnel to Bergen op Zoom in 18 minutes last week. And I wasn't the only one cruising in the 160-190 km/h range...

But yeah, Polish driving licence and Polish car. Even if they would've stopped me it would've been a fine and nothing else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I think it's a misconception to think that a high speed is safer at night because there is less traffic.

It's much more difficult - if not outright impossible - to avoid wildlife or debris on the road with such a speed on an unlit motorway with light traffic. What if someone spun out, hit the crash barrier head on and then stopped on the left lane with both headlights damaged? There is no way you can see that far enough in advance with 190 km/h. The same goes for lost cargo, debris or wildlife. It would be a challenge even with 130 km/h.
This is actually very true. Was coming back from Białowieża some time ago, and on the S8 near Warszawa I noticed an accident on the right emergency lane, and in the split second I looked right, I failed to see that stopped car in front of me on the left lane with his triangle 20 metres behind the vehicle and no emergency lights on.

Barely managed to escape to the middle lane, did take his triangle out, missed the vehicle by about five metres. If I would've done 140 instead of 120 I would've plowed into that car. Unless traffic is so light that I can drive with my high beams on, I rarely go over 140-150 at night, while I've crossed Germany in under four hours during daylight.

Last edited by Proterra; December 21st, 2016 at 08:39 PM.
Proterra no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:32 AM   #14122
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

If you're going to drive too fast, do it at night when there's less traffic. The likelihood of encountering an obstacle you can't see (a car that has just crashed, or a truck that's lost part of its load) is way lower than the chances of a car misjudging your speed and jumping on the left lane, leaving you no distance to brake. This is very likely to happen in daylight with heavy traffic. However crashing to something unlit at night is highly unlikely. My personal experience is that the biggest risk on the road are other drivers.

Not judging speeders, just saying that driving late at night is usually safer due to lower traffic despite reduced visibility.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 01:47 AM   #14123
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

I'm not sure if the traffic cutting into left lane is so dangerous... the closing speed might be say 110 km/h (190 - 80)

When I was driving in Germany the trucks did that to me all the time with little warning but I didn't have much problem to slow down to their speed from the Vmax of my rental car...
Old December 22nd, 2016, 12:01 PM   #14124
verreme

Likes (Received): 645

My point was: it is less dangerous, but also far more common than encountering an obstacle on your lane at night. There's thus more danger when speeding by heavy daylight traffic.

I've never had any issues with foreign objects on the road. However I almost hit a motorcyclist once because I was driving way too fast (no I'm not proud of it) and he misjudged my speed and stepped on the left lane when I was almost there. Still can't believe he didn't end up under my car.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 03:37 PM   #14125
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Máxima Bridge, Alphen

The Máxima Bridge in the city of Alphen aan den Rijn in South Holland province opened to traffic yesterday. It is a four lane bridge across the Old Rhine River.

The primary task of the bridge is to serve industry on the north side of the river, so they don't have to drive through the town of Koudekerk aan den Rijn.

The bridge was built in less than two years.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 04:22 PM   #14126
bartek76
GUKPPiW

Likes (Received): 13806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proterra View Post
It's a gorgeous road for that. I made it from the Heinenoord Tunnel to Bergen op Zoom in 18 minutes last week. And I wasn't the only one cruising in the 160-190 km/h range...

But yeah, Polish driving licence and Polish car. Even if they would've stopped me it would've been a fine and nothing else.
Really, would you not get arrested on the spot?
bartek76 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:35 PM   #14127
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartek76 View Post
Really, would you not get arrested on the spot?
Armed policing on Dutch highways is very, very rare, unless there is a case where they are already pursuing someone that drives into a highway.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 10:26 PM   #14128
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

They don't need to be armed to arrest someone.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:30 AM   #14129
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
I would have no problem driving 190km/h on the nearby A4 during the night. Pretty much deserted anyways. But I wont do it because I like my drivers license too much
But you would have trouble to even come close to that speed during the daytime. Subjectively judging, its getting busier year after year after the widening. Most of the time it feels like sitting in a "car train" next to other three "car trains."

thtc liked this post
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 04:04 AM   #14130
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Well, it's not that busy. This is footage from a friday afternoon:
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:05 PM   #14131
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N451 + N457 Gouda

The new four lane road structure around Gouda opened to traffic last evening.

There are two new provincial roads built around the incomplete Gouwe motorway interchange, N451 and N457. They will relieve A12 of local traffic weaving with through traffic that is attempting to reach the Gouda exit of A12. It will also provide the connections that the Gouwe motorway interchange (A12/A20) lacks.

A future phase would be a western bypass of Waddinxveen.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2016, 02:21 PM   #14132
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Merwede Bridge update

The final strengthening works at the Merwede Bridge (A27) at Gorinchem were completed last night. The bridge is now also open to vehicles over 50 tons (they require a permit).

A more thorough strengthening and reconstruction of the bridge is planned in a few years, combined with the A27 expansion (which includes a second bridge across the Merwede).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, spartannl liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:03 PM   #14133
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Well, it's not that busy. This is footage from a friday afternoon:
I meant the northern part. I see now that you were talking about the southern part.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 03:45 PM   #14134
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
The new four lane road structure around Gouda opened to traffic last evening.

There are two new provincial roads built around the incomplete Gouwe motorway interchange, N451 and N457. They will relieve A12 of local traffic weaving with through traffic that is attempting to reach the Gouda exit of A12. It will also provide the connections that the Gouwe motorway interchange (A12/A20) lacks.
Which exit number is assigned to the new A12 interchange with N457, 10?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2016, 07:05 PM   #14135
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't know, I'm also interested in the official name of the new exit.

A nice photo from October showing the A12 Gouwe Aquaduct next to the new Amalia Bridge of N451.

kamilbuk, EPA001, Turf, snowdog, passat1717 liked this post
Old December 23rd, 2016, 09:14 PM   #14136
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Which exit number is assigned to the new A12 interchange with N457, 10?
As confirmed by a member of the Wegenforum, it is Exit 10, called 'Moordrecht'. Which means there are now two exits with that name (the other is on nearby A20). N457 connects both Moordrecht exits.

Exit names are usually unique. In some cases, there may be two exits with the same name, but it's not very common.

MichiH liked this post
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:04 PM   #14137
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Maybe it's too early for conclusions, but I got the impression traffic on A58 in Breda (between kp. St.Annabosch and Galder) significantly degraded now that A27 is carrying trucks again. Things also appear more congested on Hooipolder.

Hooipolder semi-junction is a problem, and A58 seems to operate close to that 'cliff-edge' threshold where just some extra additional traffic brings things to a severe slowdown.
Old December 24th, 2016, 03:06 PM   #14138
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is well possible. Once the Merwede Bridge closed to truck traffic, the effect was felt on all north-south routes (even on A50). There is a huge volume of trucks on the Antwerpen - Utrecht - Northeast corridor, which had to use other motorways in October & November.
Old December 25th, 2016, 12:47 AM   #14139
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
I think it's a misconception to think that a high speed is safer at night because there is less traffic.
Even if it isn't, who are you to decide for the safety of someone else? At night on an empty road, if the risk is only to the speeder, let them.

By that logic, motorbikes and scooters would have been forbidden long ago.

I personally think the risk is more than acceptable, and I tend to ignore the speed limit much more at night than during the day. Where during the day vmax+20 or 30 is fine by me because of other traffic (otherwise you really need to brake often for people pulling out because of the Dutch way people check their mirrors), at night I drive at Vmax + 50 or in excess of that momentarily (especially on lit flat motorways, even 200+ km/h feels fine...).

There is no need to nanny people into safety even more.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2016, 01:33 AM   #14140
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Of course this is crap, there is no such thing as "the risk is only to the speeder" when driving a car on an open road. The wreck will either hit something or someone or become an obstacle for traffic.

I'm so sick of hearing this kind of "technical" bullshit to try to justify speeding, it adds insult to injury.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands