daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 4th, 2017, 04:32 PM   #14161
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

speed limits

The motorway speed limits as of 1/1/17. As you can see 130 km/h becomes the norm in much of the north, east and south.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, Luki_SL, SRC_100, 8166UY, snowdog liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 4th, 2017 at 06:01 PM.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 4th, 2017, 04:42 PM   #14162
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

The dark blue stretches belong in hell. Just pick one and stick with it (and stop fining me).
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #14163
LilMocr0

Likes (Received): 10

@ChrisZwolle

The section between Vlaardingen and Knooppunt Westerlee on the A20 has been 130 non-variable for a while now.

ChrisZwolle liked this post
LilMocr0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #14164
ChrisZwolle
Road user

LED lighting

New LED lighting on the A6 offramp at Lelystad.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ices77, EPA001, Luki_SL, SRC_100, Adian Herf liked this post
Old January 4th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #14165
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Speaking of Dordrecht, I wonder if are there any plans to improve traffic flow on N3
Old January 5th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #14166
Ni3lS

Likes (Received): 3454

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The motorway speed limits as of 1/1/17. As you can see 130 km/h becomes the norm in much of the north, east and south.
Hmm I guess they were a bit slow to remove the variable speed limit signs at Knooppunt Heerenveen
[2016] > Norway, Valencia, Arvidsjaur, Innsbruck, Moselvalley, Geneva, Lisbon, Basel, Vosges, Munich, Trieste, Barcelona, Nürburgring, Frankfurt, Spa, Berlin, Wuppertal, Dortmund, Como, Monaco, Saint-Tropez, Tegernsee, Hamburg, Lübeck, Madrid, Stuttgart, Faro, Hochgurgl
[2017] > Düsseldorf, Mallorca, Geneva, Annecy, Montafon, Vorarlberg, Barcelona, Zürich, Crete, Lisbon, Cascais, Málaga, Ronda, Dolomiti, Sistiana, Kitzbühel
Ni3lS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #14167
Suburbanist
on the road

Why don't they raise A50 limit to 130 between Veghel and Eindhoven?

I still remember when A16 had just a short 120km/h sector after the Moerdijk bridge, and then all these shinny new lanes (in 2010) had a 100km/h permanent limit.
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #14168
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Botlek Bridge

An interesting 1979 photo of the Botlek Bridge in the Port of Rotterdam. It shows a shared road/rail lane. It was put into operation on 9 July 1967 to handle Sunday traffic to the beaches (2 lanes westbound in the morning and 2 eastbound in the evening). It may have been removed after the motorway tunnel opened in 1980.

snowdog, riiga, SRC_100, bartek76 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 5th, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:36 PM   #14169
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

From 8:20

https://youtu.be/NJjzqNfgecI?t=8m20s

Several drivers happily running through a closed railway crossing, the last one passing 10 seconds before a freight train comes at full speed...

There was a malfunction so the crossing remained closed for at least 5' (possibly more), but is it common to see this behaviour?

It is particularly dangerous because there could be a train overtaking this one, on the track to its left, with zero visibility.
It's also nice to see the sheep effect at one work: one did it, so let's all do it...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2017, 11:46 PM   #14170
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
There was a malfunction so the crossing remained closed for at least 5' (possibly more)
I doubt it, the train you're watching has passed the point where the gates close and then has to wait for a red signal in the 'remain closed' area for the gates. That might be a bit of bad design though there might be a reason I'm unaware of that that signal has to be precisely there.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 12:05 AM   #14171
Suburbanist
on the road

On the video's comments, the person who posted it (presumably the train driver) said a train in front of it had a defect and was stopped two blocks ahead, which is why he got the red sign.
Old January 6th, 2017, 12:13 AM   #14172
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

That's the malfunction I mentioned, I was simplifying for non-rail nerds

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:36 PM   #14173
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Dutch meteorological organization KNMI issed a 'code orange' for the entire Netherlands. Freezing rain and black ice will lead to difficult and dangerous driving conditions tonight and tomorrow. Snowfall in the west will turn to freezing rain and ice in the east. Some weather experts think it may be upgraded to a 'code red'.

Dutch weather alerts are coded from green to yellow to orange to red. Code red is fairly rare, usually only a few times per year. It's also called a 'weather alarm', though some people think it sounds too alarmist given the fact that code red-like impact is usually confined to a very small area during the summer (giant hail, flash floods, tornadoes, intense lightning). Winter events usually have a more widespread impact (snow & ice).
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #14174
Suburbanist
on the road

New car sales at 20-year low in 2016

Quote:
Dutch car buyers are increasingly opting for second-hand cars when they go to replace their vehicles, the national statistics office CBS reported on Thursday.

Used car sales were five times the number of new car sales in 2016, the Financieele Dagblad said on Friday. The CBS said 383,000 new cars were registered in the Netherlands last year, a 20-year low.

Second-hand car sales approached two million last year, a 5% increase over 2015. Sales of hybrid cars tumbled 46% to 30,000 as fiscal incentives were withdrawn in January of last year. However new incentives came into effect this month, spurring sales of hybrid cars in the final quarter of 2016.
Read more at http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archive...r-low-in-2016/
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:47 PM   #14175
ChrisZwolle
Road user

And out of those 383,000 new cars, only some 140,000 were sold to consumers. The rest are company cars, business cars, rental cars, fleet cars, etc.
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #14176
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
And out of those 383,000 new cars, only some 140,000 were sold to consumers. The rest are company cars, business cars, rental cars, fleet cars, etc.
I won't re-hash the argument of the Roadside thread, but I think this explains, a lot, why car dealerships are mostly located outside typical "consumer-oriented shopping locations". They are often small, and placed on land-cheap industrial parks, not on big thoroughfares or at major freeway junctions. And with such low volume of sales, they ought to make most money from servicing cars instead of selling them. And showrooms, at least the ones I noticed, tend to be small.
Old January 6th, 2017, 04:58 PM   #14177
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In many commercial areas, car dealerships tend to be grouped together. One criticism is that there are actually far too many official dealerships than needed, given the low sales of new cars.

My Hyundai dealership has only a small showroom, just about one vehicle per model and a couple parked outside for test drives. But its used car showroom has 40-50 cars and more parked outside.
Old January 6th, 2017, 05:06 PM   #14178
Suburbanist
on the road

I believe that, with increasing manufacturer warranties for 5 years or more (once something just a few automakers offered), there will be plenty of repair business to be done at dealerships.
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #14179
ChrisZwolle
Road user

244 crashes have been reported on the motorway system until 10 a.m. this morning. Nearly all are related to ice and snow, the amount of incidents is much higher than a regular Saturday morning.

Police and road authorities are appalled by people not driving to conditions. 'they see a car in the ditch yet blow past at unadapted speed'.

Some people seem to think that having snow tires means they're immune to black ice.

My city has only some 2-3 cm of snow, but it's the first significant slippery conditions event this winter, and for my city, the first snow cover in two years (last winter did not have any accumulated snow). We're just lucky it's a Saturday and not a workday.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 7th, 2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old January 7th, 2017, 11:57 AM   #14180
Suburbanist
on the road

A co-worker posted an update on his Facebook, he's broken his ankle on a scooter accident while driving through a bike underpass (where scooters are technically illegal).

Slagathor liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands