daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 30th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #14321
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Was the IJsselmeer planned to be drained entirely?
I don't think there were plans to drain IJsselmeer entirely, no. In the 1930s they already knew about the need to have space to take river overflows and "store" them in a huge lake in case of combination of storms (or accelerated snow meltdown) and high tides.

The Markermeer, though, was planned to be mostly drained.

From Twitter feed

The causeway to Marken and that stub causeway in the direction of Volendam are part of the initial works.

It would be awesome if they restarted this plan, then Amsterdam metro could grow 1 million extra inhabitants.

italystf liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 30th, 2017, 08:57 PM   #14322
italystf

Likes (Received): 2185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
It would be awesome if they restarted this plan, then Amsterdam metro could grow 1 million extra inhabitants.
How would be there a further million people willing to relocate there?
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Kanadzie liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:28 PM   #14323
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

Markerwaard is a good idea, just not for the expansion of Amsterdam.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:42 PM   #14324
Turf
-

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by italystf View Post
Was the IJsselmeer planned to be drained entirely?
Actually NL could have looked quite differently if one of the plans on the bottom of this page had been executed https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiderzee_Works
Turf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:47 PM   #14325
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6160

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAronymous View Post
Markerwaard is a good idea, just not for the expansion of Amsterdam.
Why is the Markerwaard a good idea? We don't need the farmland (we're already the 2nd largest food exporter in the world after the US) and anyway, we're battling rising sea levels as it is.

Let's try and keep dry what we have first, shall we?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 09:57 PM   #14326
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
(we're already the 2nd largest food exporter in the world after the US)
Impressive, but the numbers are a bit inflated, a part of it is just through traffic, and 'the largest' is expressed as value, not volume. Which makes it a bit difficult to compare to volume products like corn, grain or sugarcane.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #14327
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Why is the Markerwaard a good idea?
To build a hub, a new city, devoted to technology, a futuristic place full of hyper-modern architecture, innovative transportation systems and new construction techniques deployed on a massive scale seen nowhere else in Europe.
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #14328
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Have you ever come across the term ghost city? The Netherlands doesn't need a new big large city. Population will decline in the future anyway...
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:54 PM   #14329
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
Have you ever come across the term ghost city? The Netherlands doesn't need a new big large city. Population will decline in the future anyway...
It needs when housing prices in Amsterdam are 11% up (buy) and 9% up (rental) in 1 year...

Kanadzie liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 11:57 PM   #14330
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
In the rural areas yes, in a big circle from Amsterdam - Almere - Arnhem - Eindhoven - Rotterdam - Den Haag not so much.
temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 10:38 AM   #14331
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
To build a hub, a new city, devoted to technology, a futuristic place full of hyper-modern architecture, innovative transportation systems and new construction techniques deployed on a massive scale seen nowhere else in Europe.
In the high tech industry (and related industries), we're developing Eindhoven and surroundings already. I'd prefer to focus on that. Let's turn Eindhoven into a real city.

It sits above sea level too, which is reassuring if you're building a data center.

da_scotty, 036Almere liked this post
Old January 31st, 2017, 02:20 PM   #14332
036Almere
-

Likes (Received): 101

Quote:
It needs when housing prices in Amsterdam are 11% up (buy) and 9% up (rental) in 1 year...
It's really not needed because -I really have to say it - Almere still has plenty of space to facilitate further development of the region. And we can even put some little islands between Almere and Amsterdam.
||||||||||||||||||

Slagathor liked this post
036Almere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 02:58 PM   #14333
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Or create greater density in Amsterdam Noord. Or expand Alkmaar. Or about a dozen other possibilities that don't require expensive land reclamation.
Old January 31st, 2017, 03:44 PM   #14334
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Or create greater density in Amsterdam Noord. Or expand Alkmaar. Or about a dozen other possibilities that don't require expensive land reclamation.
That could only work if Amsterdam annexed Waterland and expanded over its borders, a prospect that is extremely unlikely to happen, I recon. I also think Amsterdam should annex Abcoude and Oudekerk a/d Amstel and build over. There are plenty of highways nearby (and train lines etc).
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:02 PM   #14335
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
That could only work if Amsterdam annexed Waterland and expanded over its borders, a prospect that is extremely unlikely to happen, I recon. I also think Amsterdam should annex Abcoude and Oudekerk a/d Amstel and build over. There are plenty of highways nearby (and train lines etc).
Not sure annexation would be necessary since spatial planning is largely in the mandate of the provincial government and the national government. The Hague and Haarlem could dictate a lot of this without annexations.
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:23 PM   #14336
Suburbanist
on the road

Alright. I think province listens to local gemeente don't they? Isn't the merger of smaller gemeente in Fryslan in part driven for the desire to prevent provincial authorities from making them essentially huge parks with limited development possibilities?

My point stands: draining part of the Markermeer is less controversial than bulldozing ancient polders full of old farmhouses and cute schaans style barns. This can be financed with real estate potential. Considering the costs of draining and filling maasvlakte twee, an internal polder removed from open oceanic waters is bound to be cheaper.
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:43 PM   #14337
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
My point stands: draining part of the Markermeer is less controversial than bulldozing ancient polders full of old farmhouses and cute schaans style barns.
Veeery doubtful. I'm certainly not going to be standing next to the guy who announces we're draining the Markermeer for the purpose of building a new Lelystad. Good luck dodging the shoes and rotten tomatoes.

A proper Amsterdam extension plan looking a decade or 3 into the future that expands the suburbs into surrounding polders without completely demolishing their rural character (while making the existing city much denser), stands a much better chance of success.
Old January 31st, 2017, 04:51 PM   #14338
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Quote:
Oudekerk/Amstel is a green buffer zone, lovely area let's keep it green. Not going to happen and I believe not possible either.

Look, we don't need it, we don't need a urban sprawl in the Netherlands, there is space in Almere, around Hoofddorp. etc. etc.

And now, lets talk about highways again.
Old January 31st, 2017, 07:18 PM   #14339
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6076

I would love Markerwaard to be developed as a national park, with lots of planted areas and landscape variety. Maybe put a futuristic eco-friendly 0% emission town in there or two.

But yes, roads.
MrAronymous está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2017, 08:43 PM   #14340
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

N434 Rijnland Route, Leiden

South Holland province has awarded the contract for the construction of N434 / Rijnlandroute along the south side of Leiden.

The contract involves the construction of a four lane expressway between A4 and A44. The project is mostly underground, it includes a 2520 meter long bored tunnel.

The contract has been awarded to a consortium known as 'Comol5', which consists of Mobilis, Croonwolter&dros, VINCI Construction Grands Projets and DEME Infra Marine Contractors.

Construction is scheduled to begin this year and will be completed by late 2022. A more exact schedule will be released soon.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands