daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2017, 06:00 PM   #14341
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Rotterdamsebaan, The Hague

Construction progress at the Rotterdamsebaan project in The Hague. It is an underground extension of A13 into the city, with the new Victory Boogie-Woogie Tunnel.

The tunneling itself has yet to begin, they are currrently constructing the pits for the tunnel boring machine.

Vlechtwerk van vloer by Rotterdamsebaan, on Flickr

Werkterrein met skyline Den Haag op de achtergrond by Rotterdamsebaan, on Flickr

8166UY, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:28 PM   #14342
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A22 Velsen Tunnel

The original opening of the A22 Velsen Tunnel back in 1957. It was the first motorway tunnel in the Netherlands (though not the first major road tunnel, that award goes to the Maas Tunnel in Rotterdam).

Old February 3rd, 2017, 11:07 PM   #14343
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

The Netherlands most expensive place to run a diesel car

Quote:
Drivers of diesel cars in the Netherlands pay an average of almost 700 a month to keep their cars on the road, the highest figure in Europe, according to the annual survey by company car leasing firm LeasePlan. This is nearly twice the cost of running a diesel car in Hungary and considerably higher than in the UK where diesel drivers are 435 a month out of pocket.

The survey covered the cost of driving in 24 European countries. The high cost of diesel motoring in the Netherlands is partly due to various car-related taxes, which are the highest in Europe, the survey showed. Dutch tax on petrol-driven cars is the second-highest in Europe after Norway. However, insurance costs are highest in Switzerland, the report said.

LeasePlan said it is the ownership, not the use of cars, that makes them expensive. Along with garage lobby group Bovag and many other bodies, LeasePlan is urging the government to adopt a kilometer charge on the use of cars. This would shift the burden of taxation to the use of rather than ownership of cars, the company said.
Source
Old February 4th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #14344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Along with garage lobby group Bovag and many other bodies, LeasePlan is urging the government to adopt a kilometer charge on the use of cars. This would shift the burden of taxation to the use of rather than ownership of cars, the company said.
This is misleading. The high burden of taxation on ownership is chiefly when you buy a new car (the BPM tax). However by far most consumers do not purchase a brand new car, but a used car, where the effect of the BPM tax is almost gone.

Last year some 2 million cars were sold in the Netherlands, but only some 140,000 of those are brand new cars sold to consumers. They are making it sound like the average diesel car owner pays 700 per month, but this is only for the extremely small group of consumers who purchase a brand new diesel car.

The kilometer charge discussion is pushed by people and groups based on misleading facts that only apply to a very small group.

UnequalSine liked this post
Old February 8th, 2017, 03:48 PM   #14345
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Utrecht environmental zone

The Council of State today dismissed appeals against the installation of an environmental zone in the city of Utrecht.

The judge stated that the municipality can make its own judgement for a 'traffic order' and doesn't need to affirm the absolute necessity of an environmental zone. It is legal even when the environmental gain is minimal.

This is rather interesting, because it is approved based on the exact same argument that municipalities like Utrecht use against the 130 km/h speed limit on motorways, which they claim is no need for.

It should be noted that no 130 km/h speed limit has been shot down by a judge, municipalities make wild unfounded claims about excessive impact on air quality and noise, which is obviously not the case if you read any of these 'traffic orders' for 130 km/h, which all state that the impact is so small it's based on decimal figures (for example an air quality impact of 0.4 g/m / 1% or less).

The Utrecht environmental zone is currently only in the inner city, it does not affect any motorways, in fact most of the city is outside of the environmental zone.

The environmental zone applies to diesel cars which were built before 1/1/2001 and truck with a euro emission class III or older. It does not affect that many vehicles (no petrol / LPG cars are impacted, and only diesel cars older than 16 years).
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #14346
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

The good news is that there is finally some focus on how bad diesel is, and let's hope this will stop the diesel-mania that affected European markets in the past 20 years.

On the other hand, I find it more and more silly to limit only older engines, if the aim is to reduce pollution in a certain area.
It is true that newer engines are several times better in emission terms, but this doesn't take into account how many pollutants are actually emitted. To know that you need at least how much the car is used, its weight and its average consumption.

People who regularly drive a lot tend to substitute their vehicle more often (so it's rare to see a 15-20 y.o. car in everyday heavy use). Older cars are also much ligher and less powerful, and they usually occupy much less space.

I have some data for Turin, whose car fleet can be expected to be on average slightly older than Utrecht's:

Diesel ("Gasolio") up to 1/1/2001 (Euro 0, 1 and 2), they make up for a meager 3,3% of all cars in the city in 2014, now will be even less... and they're probably among the less used ones anyway.

Bottom line: if you're actually worried about pollution, then ban everything, beginning with diesels.

PS: the four rows are Petrol, Diesel, Petrol+LPG, Petrol+CNG

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #14347
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Bottom line: if you're actually worried about pollution, then ban everything, beginning with diesels.
It's funny that you chose Turin, because for the first time in Italy I think, last weekend they banned all diesel cars up to Euro 4, due to high PM10 concentration... too bad that the vast majority of PM10s is not due to diesel engines...
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 05:33 PM   #14348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Diesel engines contribute significantly more to NO2/NOx concentrations than PM10.

The diesel debate is not as pronounced in the Netherlands because the share of diesel cars is much lower than in other countries in the region.

In addition, due to the low share of diesel passenger cars, disincentives usually have little effect as semi trucks are responsible for most NOx / PM10 emissions from traffic sources. They are not affected by environmental zones (most companies operate recent model trucks) or lower speed limits.
Old February 8th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #14349
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9, Amsterdam

Bigtime construction on A9 in Amsterdam. They are constructing a 5-tube tunnel.

Old February 8th, 2017, 07:07 PM   #14350
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

One of them reversible?
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #14351
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Diesel engines contribute significantly more to NO2/NOx concentrations than PM10.

The diesel debate is not as pronounced in the Netherlands because the share of diesel cars is much lower than in other countries in the region.

In addition, due to the low share of diesel passenger cars, disincentives usually have little effect as semi trucks are responsible for most NOx / PM10 emissions from traffic sources. They are not affected by environmental zones (most companies operate recent model trucks) or lower speed limits.
I read a study where they say cars contribute (in Italy) up to 4% to PM10s in urban areas. The major contributors, up to 25%, are industrial areas and thermal plants.
Old February 8th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #14352
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
One of them reversible?
Yes.

("Wisselstrook" is the reversible tube)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:28 PM   #14353
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Papendrecht - Sliedrecht

Plans have been announced today to expand A15 to six lanes between Papendrecht and Sliedrecht. This is only a short segment of motorway, but carries 102,000 vehicles per day on just 2x2 lanes and one shoulder lane.

In 1999, Rijkswaterstaat started a pilot project with dynamic lane markings on the eastbound A15, where the shoulder was dynamically opened to traffic. This was turned into a regular shoulder running operation at a later stage.

Meanwhile, in 2015, plans were announced to extend the shoulder running operations to Sliedrecht-East (eastbound only) and to construct an auxiliary lane westbound between the Sliedrecht-West and Papendrecht exits.

The current plans announced today appear to be an upgrade, with six lanes and a 4th auxiliary lane westbound. They did not mention 'Sliedrecht-West' precisely, but 'to Sliedrecht' which is a bit ambiguous, will they extend six lanes to Sliedrecht-West or Sliedrecht-East? The announced funding of only 15 million suggests an expansion of only 2 kilometers to Sliedrecht-West is more likely.

They plan to approve the final project in 2018 and complete the expansion in 2020.

The entire A15 corridor is overloaded between Papendrecht and Gorinchem. At best, the whole motorway should be expanded to six lanes, but this is a nice start, better than just an auxiliary lane.
Old February 8th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #14354
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keokiracer View Post
Yes.

("Wisselstrook" is the reversible tube)
Reversible lanes are such a good idea, it's a shame they are rarely used outside certain countries. No reversible lanes that I know of, for instance, in Italy
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #14355
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Reversible lanes are such a good idea, it's a shame they are rarely used outside certain countries. No reversible lanes that I know of, for instance, in Italy
But an reversible lane with only one lane is such an bad idea.

g.spinoza, belerophon liked this post
temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2017, 10:55 PM   #14356
Ypenhof
Ypenhof

Likes (Received): 593

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Plans have been announced today to expand A15 to six lanes between Papendrecht and Sliedrecht. This is only a short segment of motorway, but carries 102,000 vehicles per day on just 2x2 lanes and one shoulder lane.

The entire A15 corridor is overloaded between Papendrecht and Gorinchem. At best, the whole motorway should be expanded to six lanes, but this is a nice start, better than just an auxiliary lane.
Would it be technically possible to re-route the entire A15 from Sliedrecht-West to Gorinchem further north, along the Betuweroute railway line? More space in my opinion.

"Een bouwmeester moet vr alles artist zijn"
Willem Kromhout Czn. (1864-1940)
Ypenhof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2017, 01:29 AM   #14357
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post

PS: the four rows are Petrol, Diesel, Petrol+LPG, Petrol+CNG
I think a more important issue is... is pollution existing?
Beijing has a huge issue with air quality.
Do any of the European cities with "umweltzonen" have any issue of the sort?
Its crazy...
Old February 9th, 2017, 01:53 AM   #14358
Wilhem275
The Transporter

In Northern Italy there's an actual problem, but the place has the climate of a sewer, almost no air change. You can feel that in the cities the air is crap and it's related to car exausts.
The amount of road traffic of the Randstad would probably be unbearable without its windy condition.

I believe environmental zones like in Utrecht are simply greenwashing/propaganda, because the amount of vehicles they limit is simply too small to have any actual effect.
The only effect they'll produce is to create a big problem to those few who own an old car (typically poor people).

Without considering the actual use, a ban based on pollution class is rubbish.

A simple example based on the vehicles used by my family:

- 1993 motorhome, Euro 1 diesel, 1500 km/yr, 8 km/l
- 1997 860 kg city car, Euro 2 petrol, 3000 km/yr, 13 km/l
- 2012 compact, Euro 4 petrol, 15000 km/yr, 15 km/l
- 2015 2-ton SUV, Euro 6 diesel, 60000 km/yr, 9 km/l

The "green car" is polluting more than the other 3 together... but yeah, let's ban the old bangers, the planet will be safe

My opinion is that almost all car traffic (even electric) should be banned from cities for reasons of high noise pollution, which mostly comes from tyres, and is getting worse with recent cars due to weight and wider tyres.
The other reason being the vast amount of space stolen by cars in cities.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #14359
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 747

but the city is for people. Who would go in the city if the car was not allowed to take them? I wouldn't.
Old February 9th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #14360
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Well, don't

City is for people, right. No law says they MUST move with cars within the cities.

I don't want to sound like a green maniac (I'm rather a petrolhead...), but there are simply too many cars in cities. And they are mostly driven by people who chose to live in the suburbs or countryside because they liked space and tranquillity and lower land prices... but they also like the convenience of the city, so they just dump their byproducts on those who accepted the compromise of living -more efficiently- inside the city.

The day everyone pays the full price for its own choices, I'll stop bitching about cars in cities ('cause I won't be anymore the one paying for others).

TM_Germany, Rebasepoiss, verreme liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands