daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2017, 03:43 PM   #14521
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

A car crash on A12 near Zoetermeer in the 1930s. Notice how the car is completely mangled, the chance of surviving this is very small. Also notice the brick pavement on A12 at that time.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:07 PM   #14522
The Polman

Likes (Received): 801

Oops! Well, the strength of cars has undoubtedly increased in these years for a reason.

Prohibit the construction of new single-family dwellings without stacking apartments in Amsterdam (A10), Rotterdam (motorway ring), The Hague, Utrecht (outer ring), Eindhoven (ring), Tilburg (ringbanen) and Groningen (provincial ring)!

And prohibit the use of agricultural land for new dwellings!
The Polman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #14523
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Actually, most cars were quite unsafe even just 20 years ago:

EPA001, Reivajar, simondanut liked this post
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 06:31 PM   #14524
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Impressive.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #14525
ChrisZwolle
Road user

80 years of motorways

Today it is 80 years ago the first motorway in the Netherlands opened to traffic. On 15 April, 1937 the first 9 kilometer segment of A12 between Voorburg (The Hague) and Zoetermeer was put into service.

Within 2.5 years of that date, A12 would be operational from The Hague to Utrecht. By World War II, the Netherlands had a sizable motorway system, being the second-longest in Europe after Germany.

By 1943 the following motorways were operational;

* A2 Utrecht - Nieuwegein (partially single carriageway) (9 km)
* A4/A44 Amsterdam - Oegstgeest (34 km)
* A12 Den Haag - Utrecht (55 km)
* A13 Den Haag - Rotterdam (16 km, partially undivided)
* A16 Rotterdam-IJsselmonde - Zwijndrecht (9 km)

In addition, some were under construction but not finished due to the war, most notably A12 Utrecht - Arnhem.

The Dutch motorways were the first in the world to feature hard shoulders as a design standard (they were called parking lanes at the time).

A12 near Zoetermeer in 1937:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

0095914, Attus, Kunagi, Luki_SL, riiga and 12 others liked this post
Old April 19th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #14526
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N7 Groningen

Some pre-construction photos of N7 through the northern city of Groningen. Large-scale construction is expected to start later this year to build a six to eight lane expressway with two 'covers' and complete control of access. It's one of the most complex projects in the Netherlands due to tight space and high volume of traffic. The project costs around € 100 million per kilometer.

Luki_SL, 8166UY, EPA001, Turf, Ices77 and 1 others liked this post
Old April 19th, 2017, 11:21 PM   #14527
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

Will the rowing club in the last two pictures (Gyas, left of the bottom bridge) keep acces towards the city centre?
Old April 20th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #14528
Turf
-

Likes (Received): 52

here you can find pictures of the new situation https://www.aanpakringzuid.nl/beeld/...s/julianaplein

da_scotty liked this post
Turf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 09:53 PM   #14529
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Finally they'll start!
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 02:33 AM   #14530
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Ground pedestrian lights in Bodegraven, to warn people looking at their smartphone.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...ampaign=buffer

I'm not sure it's a good idea. It may help to stop someone not aware that the sidewalk is ending,
but it could also lead to accidents because people will start walking when they see the green bar while never raising their heads to look around.
A green pedestrian light isn't meant as a "Sure, walk blindfolded through the intersection".

If they demonstrate this ground light can help stopping people, I'd just stick to the red light.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

spartannl liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #14531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N279 's-Hertogenbosch - Veghel

The final wearing course of the N279 twinning project has been applied this weekend, which means the project is now completed. Four-lane capacity was already available by December 2016.

N279 is a 2x2, controlled-access expressway but has only an 80 km/h speed limit (while being environmentally cleared for 100 km/h). They don't want N279 to attract too much traffic from A2.

Slagathor, DK97, 8166UY, Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
Old April 24th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #14532
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

To me this is nonsense. Why spend a lot of money on a road that will remain under-used?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #14533
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

I agree that it's stupid but I'd also like to point out that this road will not be underused, with or without stupidly low speed limit.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 05:30 PM   #14534
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are further upgrades planned to N279 between Veghel and Helmond, though some of it was scaled back. It is sort of the backbone of eastern North Brabant province, the area is densely populated with many towns and villages plus a few small cities (Helmond has a population of 89,000).

They don't want N279 to become an alternative for truck traffic to Venlo, which is supposed to use A2+A67 or A73. Which is kind of silly argumentation because trucks won't be affected by reducing the speed limit from 100 to 80 km/h. There have been reports of widespread 'speeding' on this road.

The north-south motorway (then rijksweg 75, now A2) was planned to bypass Eindhoven to the east in earlier plans. They also recently scrapped another expressway north and east of Eindhoven/Helmond that would complete a beltway around the two cities. So for now all traffic has to use A2 along the west side of Eindhoven. It is the busiest motorway outside of Western Netherlands with traffic volumes up to 180,000 vehicles per day.

g.spinoza liked this post
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:08 PM   #14535
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
They don't want N279 to become an alternative for truck traffic to Venlo, which is supposed to use A2+A67 or A73
Why not ban all truck traffic on this road, except trucks loading / unloading in Veghel, Helmond or 's-Hertogenbosch? Then you don't have too many trucks driving there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Which is kind of silly argumentation because trucks won't be affected by reducing the speed limit from 100 to 80 km/h. There have been reports of widespread 'speeding' on this road.
It's the same logic as with the IG-L Environment speed limit on certain motorways in Austria. They lower the speed limit to 100 or even 80 km/h, but the largest polluters, trucks, are not affected by this.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #14536
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
Why not ban all truck traffic on this road, except trucks loading / unloading in Veghel, Helmond or 's-Hertogenbosch? Then you don't have too many trucks driving there...
How would you effectively enforce that?
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #14537
bogdymol
bogdymod

Random checks.

Truck ban except for local access is widespread across many European countries, especially on secondary roads.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 08:59 PM   #14538
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Veghel is home to the national distribution center of Jumbo, the second-largest supermarket chain in the Netherlands. It attracts thousands of truck loads per day. It will be impossible to effectively enforce a ban on through truck traffic. It's not just some secondary road, most of N279 carries 15,000 - 30,000 vehicles per day.

There are two Jumbo Supermarkt facilities in Veghel:

In addition, there is a large industrial area in Veghel, many trucks use N279 to get to A2.

EPA001 liked this post
Old April 24th, 2017, 09:01 PM   #14539
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

^ I was typing a long bit of text, but basically what Chris says

Basically this whole thing is trying to propose a solution for a non-issue anyway. It's nonsense.
Old April 24th, 2017, 09:16 PM   #14540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I can understand that truck traffic may be a genuine concern, but car traffic not that much, there probably isn't that much longer distance car traffic from A2 at Den Bosch to A67 to Venlo, maybe a few thousand per day at best. Truck traffic is not discouraged from taking N279 by introducing an 80 km/h speed limit instead of 100 km/h, since it will not affect them.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands