daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 25th, 2017, 03:33 PM   #14541
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure

New aerial photos of the A6/A7 Joure motorway interchange.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, SRC_100, EPA001, EasySeven liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #14542
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1/A6 Knooppunt Muiderberg

The Muiderberg motorway interchange of A1/A6 east of Amsterdam will be significantly reconstructed this weekend.

A1 eastbound is entirely shut down from Friday 28 April 21:00 to Monday 1 May 05:00. Traffic from Amsterdam to Amersfoort as well as traffic from Amsterdam to Almere will need to detour all the way around Utrecht. This requires at least an hour of additional driving time, plus more congestion than usual.

During this weekend, the A1 / A6 split will be built in its final configuration. They will flip the exiting directions. Currently, A6 exits to the right while A1 goes ahead. From 1 May, the six-lane carriageway will split into 3 left lanes to A6 and 3 right lanes to A1.

It is expected that this radical change of driving directions will result in 'getting used to congestion', in particular during the afternoon rush hour next week.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Ryme Intrinseca, EPA001 liked this post
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:03 PM   #14543
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Another helpful video here:

It seems they are introducing a new TOTSO (turn off to stay on) as we call it in the UK, i.e. A1 traffic will now have to exit to stay on the A1.

Why is this being done? Notwithstanding the fact that three lanes are provided for both roads, does the A6 draw significantly more traffic?
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #14544
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think it's a real TOTSO, there is no real 'turning off' it just splits in three lanes each way. It won't be a true trumpet interchange after the works are completed.

Presently A1 and A6 carry around the same amount of traffic east and north of the interchange, just over 100,000 vehicles per day each. However Almere is projected to grow to 300,000 inhabitants as it will provide a large share of new housing in the Amsterdam metropolitan area. However many people will commute to jobs in and around Amsterdam, which is a key reason why they are massively expanding the motorways in the first place. So Amsterdam - Almere traffic will carry the bulk of future traffic growth. They also built this two-lane reversible facility for that reason.
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:42 PM   #14545
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

One thing I don't understand of multilane splits like this is how they work for slow vehicles.

Trucks will have to drive on the rightmost lanes, then at a certain point shift 2-3 lanes and get in the middle of the motorway to prepare for turning; which can be a difficult and long manoeuvre if those lanes are packed with cars.

It's a sudden drop in capacity along the main route. How does this work when traffic is strong?

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2017, 10:48 PM   #14546
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That could be a problem indeed, though the amount of truck traffic on A6 is relatively low.

In this case, the sixth lane (on the right) is coming from a rest area on-ramp. There are 5 through lanes on A1. So truck traffic already on A1 has to move over two lanes to get from the 5th to the 3rd lane to get onto A6.

At the other end of this segment, at the Diemen interchange, they built a bypass for trucks coming from A9 to avoid them getting onto A1 on the 3rd out of 6 lanes (counted from the inside). That way they don't have to move over 3 lanes while merging with A1 traffic.

Wilhem275, Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
Old April 26th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #14547
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure

The support column for the flyovers at the new Joure motorway interchange. They will carry traffic to and from A7 Sneek.

Steunpunt in de middenberm van de A6 is gereed. De bekisting van de oplegnok waar straks de liggers op komen is zichtbaar by Fotosite Knooppunt Joure, on Flickr

De laatste werkzaamheden aan het tussensteunpunt van de fly-over by Fotosite Knooppunt Joure, on Flickr

8166UY, SRC_100, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old April 26th, 2017, 11:41 AM   #14548
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10, Amsterdam

The Council of State today dismissed most appeals against the reconstruction and tunneling of A10 in Amsterdam.

The plan is to widen A10 to 12 lanes on the south side of Amsterdam, between A2 and A4. It will be put underground in a tunnel at the 'Zuidas' business district. It is one of the most complex and expensive projects ever undertaken in the Netherlands.

The Council of State basically dismissed all appeals that could jeopardize the project. They only have to clarify three items;

* noise at the Amstel Bridges
* the effect of scrapping the shoulder near a houseboat
* determine if the planned guardrails / crash barriers are sturdy enough to keep trucks within the road near an office building and the aforementioned houseboat.

The minister of transport has to rectify these issues within 16 weeks.

The other 13 appeals were dismissed. Their concerns included air quality, roadway design, water management and the impact on flora and fauna.

UnequalSine, Turf, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old April 26th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #14549
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
One thing I don't understand of multilane splits like this is how they work for slow vehicles.

Trucks will have to drive on the rightmost lanes, then at a certain point shift 2-3 lanes and get in the middle of the motorway to prepare for turning; which can be a difficult and long manoeuvre if those lanes are packed with cars.

It's a sudden drop in capacity along the main route. How does this work when traffic is strong?
A fairly common solution in the US to this issue is to provide separate ramps for fast and slow lanes, i.e. one offside entry/exit and one nearside.

There are also two examples in South Africa:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-33.9.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-26.2.../data=!3m1!1e3

I'm quite surprised they didn't do this at the A1/A6, i.e. keep the original right hand exit alongside the new left hand exit. Perhaps the low truck volumes that Chris mentions explain this.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #14550
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Buitenring Parkstad Limburg

Some photos of the Buitenring Parkstad Limburg, a 26 kilometer four-lane expressway around the Heerlen conurbation in Southern Netherlands.

The works are in various stages of completion, the northern portion is quite advanced while the eastern portion is still in the earthworks phase.

DSC_0139.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0125.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0121.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0072.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0063.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0035.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

junky, Ices77, keokiracer, SRC_100, DK97 and 4 others liked this post
Old April 28th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #14551
Nikolaj

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryme Intrinseca View Post
A fairly common solution in the US to this issue is to provide separate ramps for fast and slow lanes, i.e. one offside entry/exit and one nearside.

There are also two examples in South Africa:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-33.9.../data=!3m1!1e3
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@-26.2.../data=!3m1!1e3

I'm quite surprised they didn't do this at the A1/A6, i.e. keep the original right hand exit alongside the new left hand exit. Perhaps the low truck volumes that Chris mentions explain this.
You also see it at Hattenbacher Dreieck in Hesse (Germany) where - coming from the north - A5 splits from A7 https://www.google.dk/maps/@50.81030...!3m1!1e3?hl=da with A7 traffic going to the right and A5 traffic to the left, but with a A5 truck lane to the far right.

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
Nikolaj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #14552
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
During this weekend, the A1 / A6 split will be built in its final configuration.
This is something you should know considering your username : will Zwolle be a new destination here on the signs? If I remember correctly currently for A1 the signs indicate Hengelo-Amersfoort-Hilversum. Would Hilversum be replaced by Zwolle, or could that be just something for this animation?
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #14553
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, Zwolle is one of the focal points of the motorway network (Dutch: netwerkdoel).

Untitled by Wegenrein, on Flickr

Untitled by Wegenrein, on Flickr

ErwinFCG, junky, EPA001, bogdymol, Luki_SL liked this post
Old April 28th, 2017, 09:39 PM   #14554
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

A lot more clearer. Zwolle is a central point. Hengelo/Amersfoort is a lot more vague.
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 12:09 PM   #14555
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Paving works at the Muiderberg interchange today.

Ices77, Basnix, 8166UY, SRC_100, EPA001 liked this post
Old April 29th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #14556
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Signage for the new configuration has gone up!

Turf, UnequalSine, SRC_100, Basnix, snowdog and 2 others liked this post
Old April 29th, 2017, 09:40 PM   #14557
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 'Tractaatweg', Zeeland

Construction begins next month on the expansion of N62 in Zeeland province. They will reconstruct the existing single carriageway road into a four-lane, controlled access, 100 km/h expressway from Terneuzen to the Belgian border. It is planned to be completed by early 2019.

Old April 30th, 2017, 10:30 PM   #14558
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdamsebaan, The Hague

A recent aerial photo of the 'Rotterdamsebaan' project in The Hague, featuring the Ypenburg motorway interchange (A4/A13). The 'Rotterdamsebaan' is a four lane road that will be tunneled into The Hague.

Old May 1st, 2017, 03:20 PM   #14559
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Knooppunt Muiderberg

The finished product.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 01:04 AM   #14560
036Almere
-

Likes (Received): 101

https://www.facebook.com/omroepflevo...5891873101727/

A video from the local news station, showing the new situation. Looks good!
||||||||||||||||||

036Almere no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands