daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 02:19 PM   #14561
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

traffic safety

The amount of traffic fatalities in 2016 increased by 8 to 629 (+1.2%). While the increase was small, it confirms that the continuous decline of traffic fatalities has stopped since around 2010. Between 1972 and 2010, the amount of traffic fatalities declined almost year-on-year from 3264 to 640. However since then it fluctuates, the lowest rate was recorded in 2013 at 570 fatalities. It has since increased to 629.

The number of traffic fatalities is split as follows;

* total: 629
* passenger car: 231
* bicycle: 189
* pedestrian: 51
* motorbike: 45
* moped / scooter: 44
* disabled vehicle: 38
* van / truck: 29
* other:2
* unknown: 0

1996-2016:

* total: 1251 > 629 (-50%)
* passenger car: 609 > 231 (-62%)
* bicycle: 239 > 189 (-21%)
* pedestrian: 132 > 51 (-61%)
* moped / scooter: 100 > 44 (-56%)
* motorbike: 94 > 45 (-51%)
* van / truck: 27 > 29 (+7%)
* other: 31 > 2 (-95%)
* unknown: 17 > 0 (-100%)
* disabled vehicle: 2 > 38 (+1900%)

The extreme increase among disabled vehicles is likely attributed to a better registration of the vehicle (the number of 'other' and 'unknown' declined to almost zero).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, EPA001, Turf, Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:19 PM   #14562
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk - Valburg

The long expansion and renovation of A50 near Nijmegen is coming to a close this month.

They started the expansion of the motorway from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes in 2011, the eyecatcher was the new Tacitus Bridge across the Waal River, which consumed most of the project cost. In addition to the new bridge, the old span was renovated, which required significantly more time than anticipated. Originally the project was supposed to be completed by 2014.

The new Tacitus Bridge opened to traffic on 21 May 2013. The old bridge was then renovated and reopened on 24 January 2017. The remaining works consists of resurfacing the motorway in both directions so they can put 4 lanes in each direction into service.

Next week, starting 8 May, the southbound carriageway will be resurfaced with overnight paving. There will be single lane traffic during the night but no restrictions during the day. The week after that, starting 15 May, the northbound carriageway will be resurfaced in a similar fashion. By the end of that week, eight lanes will be operational.

Tacitus Bridge:

DSC_0001.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, EPA001, vigiliant, Turf, SRC_100 and 2 others liked this post
Old May 3rd, 2017, 04:20 PM   #14563
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2116

Damn cell phones.
EDIT: Obviously referring to the increase in fatalities in the last years.
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #14564
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9, Amsterdam

A recent photo of the Gaasperdam Tunnel of A9 in Amsterdam.

Photo by Heijmans.
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #14565
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Please, what's the name of this signage layout?

I'm looking for similar images but I can't find a proper search key.

Would you also remind me the rules for using it? Drivers are supposed to keep on the black strip when there's no crossing traffic, right?

I'm trying to apply something similar in my neighbourhood, to visually narrow the road.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Last edited by Wilhem275; May 15th, 2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typo
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #14566
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

max 60 km/h, and when needed you can drive over red tarmac when no bikers are using it. Otherwise you need to slow down, follow bikers and than overtake them when possible. Correct?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA

Wilhem275 liked this post
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:23 PM   #14567
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's called an 'erftoegangsweg'. They come in two forms;

* urban streets with a 30 km/h speed limit (generally no road markings or painted bike lanes, just asphalt or bricks)
* rural road with a 60 km/h speed limit (road markings like the ones you posted, but the red bike lanes are optional, depending on bicycle usage and availability of a separate bike path).

The 60 km/h ones have varying width, depending on how wide the road was initially built.
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:28 PM   #14568
junky

Likes (Received): 326

'erftoegangsweg' 60km/h
All categories can be found when searching for 'duurzaam veilig wegcategorisering'

Short anser from my phone

Wilhem275 liked this post
junky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:10 PM   #14569
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

The bike lanes there are called 'fietssuggestiestroken' (bike suggestion strips). Meaning that officially they're not bike lanes (for which there has to be a bike symbol).
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #14570
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Thank you all.

In your opinion, does this setup actually slow down cars?

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #14571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Only if there cyclists on the road, who function like human traffic calming devices. In my experience there is widespread 'speeding' on 60 km/h roads in rural areas. In many cases they just reduced the speed from 80 to 60 km/h in the early 2000s and painted different lines. These types of roads are predominantly used by people living nearby so they know the road inside out and go over the 60 km/h limit. Just like the culprits of speeding in residential areas are people living one street away.
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:22 PM   #14572
Wilhem275
The Transporter

I'd expect that. At least here we're talking about a short segment.

In urban settings, are the red strips usually respected, or people drives on them even with a free road?

Old May 15th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #14573
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

People definitely drive over them. You have to if you want to pass someone. But I don't see how that's a problem. In more recent applications they're wider, because of new recommendations. (p.s. don't fall into the trap of Belgian versions on Google Images (about 80% of the pics), they're substandard)
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 06:43 PM   #14574
Wilhem275
The Transporter

This is the situation I'm trying to fix:

Two way road, trees won't allow a proper sidewalk on its sides (only parking spaces), and we're on a budget.
Traffic won't be heavy but I often see cars passing too close to pedestrians.

Imagine:
|Parking|Red strip|Black strip|Red strip|Parking|

Sort of:

With the erftoegangsweg red strips I'd try to fix a defined space for pedestrians so that cars won't get too close to them.
At least give a visual reference of the space drivers should leave when there's people walking/cycling.

My hope is that drivers will understand that, with an empty road, they must stick to the black area. I'm worried they won't give a damn and always drive over the whole thing.

Trying to spread around little bits of the Netherlands...

Slagathor liked this post
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:42 PM   #14575
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The amount of traffic fatalities in 2016 increased by 8 to 629 (+1.2%). While the increase was small, it confirms that the continuous decline of traffic fatalities has stopped since around 2010. Between 1972 and 2010, the amount of traffic fatalities declined almost year-on-year from 3264 to 640. However since then it fluctuates, the lowest rate was recorded in 2013 at 570 fatalities. It has since increased to 629.

The number of traffic fatalities is split as follows;

* total: 629
* passenger car: 231
* bicycle: 189
* pedestrian: 51
* motorbike: 45
* moped / scooter: 44
* disabled vehicle: 38
* van / truck: 29
* other:2
* unknown: 0
There is a similar trend in GB:

Proportions by road user are rather different to the Netherlands:

Car occupants 44 per cent
Pedestrians 24 per cent
Motorcyclists 21 per cent
Pedal cyclists 6 per cent
Other 6 per cent

But perhaps most interesting is where you control for passenger miles, which really does explain why vulnerable road users have that name:

Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 07:52 PM   #14576
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It would be interesting to see a comparison of motor vehicle occupant fatalities by country, as opposed to all traffic fatalities combined.

Cyclists account for approximately a third of all fatalities in the Netherlands. This is likely higher than most other countries, but when you compare it relative to bicycle kilometers traveled, it may not actually be that bad compared to other countries.

Ryme Intrinseca liked this post
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:30 PM   #14577
Ryme Intrinseca

Likes (Received): 119

We can see from previous posts that cyclists account for 6% of fatalities in the UK, and 30% in the Netherlands. Apparently '26% of all trips in the Netherlands are made by bicycle. In Great Britain the figure is only 2%'. http://www.eesc.europa.eu/?i=glossar...ing-statistics

So while in the Netherlands, fatalities among cyclists are roughly in line with the number of trips they make (30% vs. 26%), in the UK fatalities among cyclists are three times that (6% vs. 2%). This is unsurprising given the vastly superior cycle infrastructure in the Netherlands, and indeed driver familiarity with cyclists.
Ryme Intrinseca no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:34 PM   #14578
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The government formation between 4 parties collapsed.

The conservative Liberals (VVD), Christian Democrats (CDA), more centrist Liberals (D66) and Greens (GL) attempted to form a coalition government, which would have a comfortable majority in parliament.

However, after 61 days of negotation, they felt that the differences were too big. They say the talks collapsed over migration standpoints, but it is likely more than that, especially the Greens had a radical programme of converting billions of taxes to environmental taxes. Although most parties have some kind of climate agenda, the Greens went much farther in it than other left-wing parties, not to mention right-wing parties which were to form the largest portion of the coalition.

So it's probably a good thing for consumers and motorists that this government coalition failed. The Greens wanted to significantly increase taxation on motorists, including a kilometer charge for every road and increased taxation on new cars. Not to mention their positions on infrastructure.

The next step appears to be a coalition with VVD+CDA+D66 and Christian Union, which is a smaller socially liberal christian party. It has 5 out of 150 seats and would result in a 1 seat majority.

The Netherlands has a long tradition of coalition governments, not once was there a single party in control of parliament. But 4 or even 5 parties would be a first.
Old May 15th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #14579
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Old age and driving, not always a good combination. It is a known fact that the elderly have become a large proportion of traffic fatalities. For example 63% of bicycle fatalities are over the age of 65.

In 2015, 290 out of 621 fatalities (47%) were over the age of 60. 119 were even over the age of 80, which is a 19% share, but they participate much less in the overall kilometers traveled.

Elders driving into businesses and houses happens every few days in the Netherlands.

Old May 16th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #14580
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50 Ewijk- Valburg

It has been reported that eight-lane capacity is now available on A50 for the first time. They finished overnight resurfacing.

A50 has been expanded from four to eight lanes between the Ewijk interchange (A50/A73) and the Valburg interchange (A50/A15) near Nijmegen. This stretch carries over 100,000 vehicles per day including a fairly high truck share.

On northbound A50, traffic moves across the 1976 Waal River Bridge, which has been renovated and strengthened. However, traffic is split, 4 lanes split to 2+2 lanes across the bridge. It has been reported there is no signage indicating where the lanes go, apart from a small sign on the road side. This may result in many last-minute moves from people thinking the right lanes become an exit.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands