daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 17th, 2017, 05:29 PM   #14581
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

A50 Ewijk - Valburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It has been reported that eight-lane capacity is now available on A50 for the first time. They finished overnight resurfacing.

A50 has been expanded from four to eight lanes between the Ewijk interchange (A50/A73) and the Valburg interchange (A50/A15) near Nijmegen. This stretch carries over 100,000 vehicles per day including a fairly high truck share.

On northbound A50, traffic moves across the 1976 Waal River Bridge, which has been renovated and strengthened. However, traffic is split, 4 lanes split to 2+2 lanes across the bridge. It has been reported there is no signage indicating where the lanes go, apart from a small sign on the road side. This may result in many last-minute moves from people thinking the right lanes become an exit.
I filmed the expanded A50 today:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

bogdymol, Attus, Bender, Turf, EPA001 and 2 others liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2017, 06:41 PM   #14582
Red85
AARRGGHH

Likes (Received): 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
This is the situation I'm trying to fix:

Two way road, trees won't allow a proper sidewalk on its sides (only parking spaces), and we're on a budget.
Traffic won't be heavy but I often see cars passing too close to pedestrians.

Imagine:
|Parking|Red strip|Black strip|Red strip|Parking|

Sort of:

With the erftoegangsweg red strips I'd try to fix a defined space for pedestrians so that cars won't get too close to them.
At least give a visual reference of the space drivers should leave when there's people walking/cycling.

My hope is that drivers will understand that, with an empty road, they must stick to the black area. I'm worried they won't give a damn and always drive over the whole thing.

Trying to spread around little bits of the Netherlands...
Does it require a two way direction?
Red85 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #14583
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Unluckily, yes; although with a greatly reduced amount of traffic thanks to detours in other parts of the grid. It is a fairly common situation in Italy, cities were developed in the '60s with almost no planning for road traffic.

The town's technical staff are in doubt because the Italian traffic code makes no provision for this setup, so they're worried about legal controversies in case of accidents (the narrow lane may lead drivers to believe they're on a one-way road).

I explained that the fietssuggestiestroken are not officially reserved to any category of vehicles, but still...

I guess erftoegangswegen are specifically authorised by the Dutch laws.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2017, 11:21 AM   #14584
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 752

You wouldnt want that setup with that angle parking. You would want to change that to parallel parking to improve safety
KIWIKAAS no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 05:14 PM   #14585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Amsterdam

Recent aerial photos of the A9 expansion through Amsterdam Southeast. They are constructing the three kilometer long Gaasperdam Tunnel, which has 5 tubes.

1. The Holendrecht interchange (A2/A9)

2. Looking west towards the Holendrecht interchange.

3. Tunnel construction through Amsterdam Southeast.

Old May 19th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #14586
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

noise reduction or something is going to go on the top?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #14587
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

This will be a 3.027 meter long tunnel called the Gaasperdammertunnel.
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #14588
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I found it interesting that there wasn't a whole lot of debate about whether to build this tunnel or not - unlike the Kethel Tunnel of A4 in Schiedam or the Leidsche Rijn Tunnel of A2 in Utrecht. It was presented as part of the large Schiphol - Amsterdam - Almere expansion project and the number of appeals was minimal.

The piling phase of the tunnel construction drove people crazy though. It was very loud for quite some time, they even offered residents a hotel room on very bad days and nights.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old May 19th, 2017, 10:51 PM   #14589
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6090

On top will be.. a park. Which as you can tell by the photos posted above is sorely needed here.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #14590
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They installed new distance signs along A28 near Nunspeet with wrong distances.

After the Nunspeet-East exit, the sign states these distances:

A few kilometers down the road is the Nunspeet-West exit, then the distances are suddenly substantially greater (except for Amersfoort).

Basnix, Luki_SL, EPA001, SRC_100 liked this post
Old May 20th, 2017, 09:05 PM   #14591
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Betlem Bridge

I took some photos of the new Betlem Bridge today. The bridge is part of the A1-A9 connector within the Diemen motorway interchange. It carries traffic from Haarlem to Almere/Amersfoort and vice versa, including two reversible lanes. The bridge opened to traffic in 2016.

Betlembrug-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

Betlembrug-1 by European Roads, on Flickr

Betlembrug-2 by European Roads, on Flickr

keokiracer, Basnix, EPA001 liked this post
Old May 21st, 2017, 04:36 PM   #14592
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen

I took some photos of the N35 upgrade project just east of Zwolle. N35 will be upgraded to a 100 km/h, 2x2 expressway. It is a busy two-lane road with 26,000 vehicles per day.

1. First they built a new parallel road for local traffic. It is partially open to traffic.

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

2. A new interchange will be constructed at this location for traffic to Wijthmen and Dalfsen.

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-9 by European Roads, on Flickr

3. A panorama from west (left) to east (right).

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-10 by European Roads, on Flickr

4. Looking at the interchange.

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-12 by European Roads, on Flickr

5. Looking west towards Zwolle.

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-13 by European Roads, on Flickr

6. Panorama looking east (left) to west (right).

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

7. They built this viewing platform for the public. I really like how they reach out to the public.

N35 Zwolle - Wijthmen 21-05-2017-15 by European Roads, on Flickr
Old May 21st, 2017, 06:44 PM   #14593
bogdymol
bogdymod

That platform's only purpose is for the public to see the progress of the works? I have never seen that before. Nice tool for the roadgeeks living around Zwolle
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2017, 07:03 PM   #14594
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yep, it's actually fairly common with road projects since a few years. That way they also avoid people from trespassing onto dangerous work sites to see what's going on.

It's probably not that expensive, just some scaffolding they can reuse. When a project cost is € 50+ million, it's just a tiny expense to send a guy and install it. They also built this path to it.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:32 PM   #14595
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 resurfacing

They are going to rehabilitate the A4 pavement in the direction of Amsterdam during six weekend closures. During these weekend closures, the direction of Amsterdam will be switched over to the other carriageway. That means that the direction of The Hague will be closed, and traffic detoured.

Local traffic will be detoured across A44. However A44 does not have sufficient capacity to absorb all A4 traffic, so they will reroute Amsterdam to The Hague / Rotterdam traffic via A2/A12. They expect delays and additional travel time of up to an hour for southbound traffic.

They will apply two layers of porous asphalt over a distance of 7 kilometers. They will also renovate bridge joints. The goal is to make the motorway quieter. This is quite an extensive pavement rehabilitation, which is why they can't do that with overnight paving.

The reason why A4 southbound is closed while the works are on the northbound side is that southbound traffic can more easily be detoured via A44. If they close A4 at Leiden, all traffic will attempt to get through Leiden to go to A44, with Leiden traffic already being bad without any disruptions (some claim the highest AADT two-lane road is N206 in Leiden).

This will also allow Schiphol-bound traffic to get to the airport without any delays. Missing a flight is worse than delays after you've landed.

The planned weekend closures (all 9 p.m. to 5 a.m.);
* 26-29 May
* 9-12 June
* 16-19 June
* 29 September to 2 October
* 6-9 October
* 13-16 October

They also planned two reserve weekends if the weather is too bad to do the paving works.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 03:56 PM   #14596
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Distracted driving is quickly becoming the number one cause of traffic accidents in many countries, including the Netherlands. There is probably a correlation or even causation that the strong decline of traffic fatalities ended at the same time smartphone usage became widespread.

However it is difficult to effectively enforce cell phone laws. Especially in this day and age when the far majority of traffic fines are issued by automatic systems (speed cameras and section control).

N36 is a dangerous two-lane road in eastern Netherlands, with traffic volumes that exceed its capacity, the southern half carries 20,000 - 30,000 vehicles per day. Many fatal crashes occur.

The police have been enforcing cell phone usage and other offenses with a spotter and motorcycle officer.

Rebasepoiss liked this post
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:02 PM   #14597
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

This will also allow Schiphol-bound traffic to get to the airport without any delays. Missing a flight is worse than delays after you've landed.

The planned weekend closures (all 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. .);
* 26-29 May
* 9-12 June
* 16-19 June
* 29 September to 2 October
* 6-9 October
* 13-16 October

They also planned two reserve weekends if the weather is too bad to do the paving works.
Why, why???!??? other countries (like Belgium!!) has not have such a smart professionals responsible for traffic in road traffic authorities??

BTW, closures time are from Friday 21:00 non-stop to 05:00 on Monday, correct?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:04 PM   #14598
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That's right. They use the whole weekend for non-stop construction works.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:30 PM   #14599
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Reason they trey to close highways as little as possible is because, in most cases, contracts for roadworks contain a financial performance clause that, in practice (the legalese is different), means the contractor must "rent" the highway lanes it wants to close on an hour-basis. The implicit "price" (or reduced contract revenue) is much higher during weekdays and peak times. Therefore, all parts have an incentive to keep capacity reduction at a minimum and do works quickly (even if it involves paying hefty overtime / nighttime wage premia for workers).

The implicit rationale is that the extra labor costs pale in comparison to widespread weekday congestion and gridlock on local roads, which are not prepared to handle extra traffic at all in the Randstad.

So no financially motivated contractor would postpone opening a repaving project 3 days later just to avoid paying weekend and night extra wages, because keeping a Randstad highway closed like that would be extremely expensive for the contractor.
Old May 23rd, 2017, 04:37 PM   #14600
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

We (here on the forum) know that, the Dutch road authorities too, but why this is not widely spread among other the EU road authorities ???

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA

belerophon liked this post
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands