daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 31st, 2017, 09:41 PM   #14621
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Because interest rates are still low, this is a great time for PPPs. They might work well, but they need to be carefully designed, especially in terms of that happens at extreme tails of parameters of the contracts (for instance, if traffic is 3x as much as expected; which happened in some projects in other countries, leading to very high financial expenses for the state). Even more, there needs to be some protection against what happens if traffic doesn't materialize. If it is easy for backers to get out of the project by declaring its Special-Purpose Entity bankrupt, then it can become something lopsided or giving too much leverage to commercially aggressive contractor: win the bid with unrealistic bids, then use the threat of bankruptcy to force favorable renegotiation some 6-8 years ahead.

Several PPP road projects in US, sadly, suffer from that problem, including that bizarre case of a whole road closed to traffic because of bankruptcy in Texas, but I think NL has better governance on these issues because RWS is nowhere as ideologically hijacked as DOTs in US.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2017, 06:10 PM   #14622
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A2 Maastricht

I filmed the new King Willem-Alexander Tunnel in Maastricht last week. The video was filmed 5 days apart, first going on the express lanes through the lower tube and then on the local lanes through the upper tube. You can see the differences between both tubes.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2017, 10:24 PM   #14623
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6 Almere

Resurfacing A6 last weekend near Almere:

Old June 1st, 2017, 11:17 PM   #14624
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Because interest rates are still low, this is a great time for PPPs. They might work well, but they need to be carefully designed, especially in terms of that happens at extreme tails of parameters of the contracts (for instance, if traffic is 3x as much as expected; which happened in some projects in other countries, leading to very high financial expenses for the state). Even more, there needs to be some protection against what happens if traffic doesn't materialize. If it is easy for backers to get out of the project by declaring its Special-Purpose Entity bankrupt, then it can become something lopsided or giving too much leverage to commercially aggressive contractor: win the bid with unrealistic bids, then use the threat of bankruptcy to force favorable renegotiation some 6-8 years ahead.

Several PPP road projects in US, sadly, suffer from that problem, including that bizarre case of a whole road closed to traffic because of bankruptcy in Texas, but I think NL has better governance on these issues because RWS is nowhere as ideologically hijacked as DOTs in US.
I think you're thinking of Shadow Toll, which means that the government pays for every car that uses the road. This isn't the case with the DBFM contracts. The government pays for every day the road is available for traffic, independent of the number of vehicles that actually use the road. This way there are no hidden costs.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:28 AM   #14625
Suburbanist
on the road

Shadow tolls and availability payments are species of the genre PPP.

------------------------------------------

I did not know they had built this near Rotterdam

Victorinus liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:29 AM   #14626
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Sidenote: Very interesting channel, well worth a sub
keokiracer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:52 AM   #14627
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1938

Quote:
Shadow tolls and availability payments are species of the genre PPP.

------------------------------------------

I did not know they had built this near Rotterdam
Yup, in Spijkenisse, though now I cannot find them. I remember one of the bridges had a design in one side and another in the other side.

Edit: found them. Here is the 500 euro note bridge, and further down the road are the 50 and the 10 euro ones. And here is the weird bridge, with the 5 euro note design on the right side and the 20 euro one on the left. Further down is the 200 euro note bridge and further up is the 100 euro one. So all seven designs are present.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; June 2nd, 2017 at 12:58 AM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 12:54 AM   #14628
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
Yup, in Spijkenisse, though now I cannot find them.
https://www.google.nl/maps/@51.84903...7i13312!8i6656
Old June 2nd, 2017, 05:22 PM   #14629
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Buitenring Parkstad Limburg

A section of the new Heerlen regional expressway opened to traffic at 4 p.m. today. It runs from Eygelshoven to Gaiazoo.

map:

It's unclear to me if it opened in both directions or southbound only. The other carriageway doesn't look finished on this video printscreen, but it was taken this morning considering the shadows.

It could also be a temporary opening to accommodate traffic to the Pinkpop Festival which starts today, it's a three-day festival that attracts approximately 70,000 people per day.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

8166UY, EPA001, SRC_100 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:24 PM   #14630
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdamsebaan, The Hague

The rings for the tunnel boring machine pit have been installed at the future Victory Boogie-Woogie Tunnel in The Hague. The boring process will start in early 2018.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

snowdog, EPA001, Luki_SL, SRC_100 liked this post
Old June 2nd, 2017, 06:34 PM   #14631
Suburbanist
on the road

Will the tunnel be decorated with Mondriaan motifs?
Old June 2nd, 2017, 07:43 PM   #14632
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

At the very least I hope, to compensate the poor thing for such a frivolous name

Every time Chris writes about it I think he's trying to pull some sort of joke on us

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

Des liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 08:37 PM   #14633
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Unfortunately it is true

https://www.denhaag.nl/home/bewoners...rdamsebaan.htm

De Rotterdamsebaan bestaat voor een deel uit een geboorde tunnel. Deze tunnel gaat de Victory Boogie Woogietunnel heten.
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:28 PM   #14634
Suburbanist
on the road

For those who are missing the reference, Victory Boogie Woogie is one of Piet Mondrian, a famous Dutch painter, masterpieces. It is incomplete though, he died before finishing it, in 1944

from Wikimedia Commons

Attus, EPA001 liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:36 PM   #14635
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Let's hope the tunnel is properly finished though
Old June 2nd, 2017, 09:55 PM   #14636
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

This year, that style is 100 years old so it's fvcking everywhere right now. I hate it.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2017, 10:43 PM   #14637
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A50

A50 near Nijmegen (Valburg - Ewijk) in 2010 and 2017:

IMG_3391 by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0007.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

snowdog, EasySeven, EPA001, Luki_SL, 8166UY and 2 others liked this post
Old June 4th, 2017, 05:52 PM   #14638
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N279 's-Hertogenbosch - Veghel

Some photos of the N279 expansion project that was completed late 2016, with the final asphalt applied in early 2017.

DSC_0057.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0062.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0074.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0078.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0094.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:06 PM   #14639
belerophon

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
I am sorry, but this reads as a pointless rant without more information that will come during the investigation.
Well yes. But for me to read: "An major and experienced construction company". Was also something, that caused me to think: So What? They are big and experienced so they never make mistakes?

And the next post about bad paid workers making shitty work was a bit rude yes. But i don't know how things are done in NL, but the big and experienced company showing its name is not the (only) one doing the job. There are a lot of supporters. Sometimes a subcontradtor who does the real work, and maybe subcontractors of subcontractors.

There was a building of an bridge for a national road with a blog about it next to my place. It was dozens of companies involved in this small project.

So yes, nothing is clear until everything is clear. But to point out how many people are involved makes clear that something wrong can happen. And that it means more effort to find out.

Drove my car everywhere except: IL, JOR
belerophon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2017, 11:13 PM   #14640
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Unlike some other countries, there are hardly any foreign contractors working on Dutch road projects. For example in Poland there are construction companies from all over Europe, this is not the case in the Netherlands.

With large consortiums for DBFM / PPP projects there are usually foreign participants for the 'finance' part of the contract. But the actual work is done by Dutch contractors, it's rare to have foreign contractors. Besix (Belgium) is doing some road projects.

That is not to say there is no foreign involvement in the Dutch road construction sector. Many contractors hire skilled labor from the eastern EU. Some components are also built in other countries (in particular steel components which are often built in Belgium). But the leading construction companies are almost always Dutch due to their expertise with Dutch requirements. There is high demand for complex planning to speed up large projects while keeping traffic impact to an absolute minimum. In the Netherlands, only 3% of traffic congestion is due to roadworks. In Nordrhein-Westfalen, with a similar area, population and motorway network size, it is 50%.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands