daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 20th, 2017, 06:35 PM   #14661
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

I am planning to drive N62 tomorrow, from Zelzate to Terneuzen, I've never driven that road before actually.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:34 AM   #14662
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

The Dutch part is quite green but the Belgian part is much more industrial (R4), it's quite a big contrast. Are you gonna go further down towards Ghent?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2017, 11:35 AM   #14663
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

@Chris_Zwolle, have you driven in the Wadden Islands (the ones where you can)? Driving in Terschelling is fun, the ferry fees are not
Old June 21st, 2017, 03:44 PM   #14664
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I am planning to drive N62 tomorrow, from Zelzate to Terneuzen, I've never driven that road before actually.
I drove it this morning. There are some earthworks at the N62-N258 intersection near Axel, but there are no works anywhere else along N62 yet. The traffic lights on N62 are poorly timed, I got a red one each time there was just a little gap in through traffic due to 1 vehicle from the cross road. A major route like N62 should get more green time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
The Dutch part is quite green but the Belgian part is much more industrial (R4), it's quite a big contrast. Are you gonna go further down towards Ghent?
In fact I was driving home from Spain. I took R4 from Gent and then N62. The difference is huge indeed. R4 is a four lane divided, but the speed limit is 90 km/h. There is a very large amount of trucks on R4 but not so much on N62.

I also took the Westerschelde Tunnel, it's funny to see all Germans go to the cash lanes at the toll barrier. Somehow they are afraid to use credit cards. I noticed it in France as well (I have a transponder).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor liked this post
Old June 21st, 2017, 04:25 PM   #14665
Suburbanist
on the road

Germans are not used to toll plazas, I guess. And they can be a little intimidating if you are unsure whether your card will work, and what to do if it doesn't.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 12:24 AM   #14666
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A16 Rotterdam

The 2nd phase of the tender to build the new A16 motorway around the north side of Rotterdam has commenced. They have eliminated two out of five contestant consortia.

The three remaining consortia for the project;

* De Nieuwe Zestien, The New Sixteen (BAM, Boskalis, VolkerWessel)
* Connect Rotterdam (Sacyr, Strukton)
* De Groene Boog, The Green Arc (Besix, Dura Vermeer, Van Oord, John Laing, Rebel, TBI)

These are all reputable construction companies. They all have a Dutch component, 'De Nieuwe Zestien' is all-Dutch, the 'Connect Rotterdam' includes Sacyr, a major Spanish construction company and 'De Groene Boog' includes Besix, which is a leading Belgian construction company. John Laing is a British PPP developer. Rebel and TBI are Dutch developers, TBI subsidiary Mobilis is a quite well-known constructor.

They plan to award the DBFM contract in May 2018, construction should commence in early 2019.

UnequalSine, EPA001 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:47 AM   #14667
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Limburg

The planning process for the expansion of A2 in central Limburg is currently ongoing, they plan to publish the draft environmental impact assessment in late 2017.

It concerns a 19 kilometer segment of A2 between Het Vonderen (A73) and Kerensheide (A76). It is currently a four lane motorway with shoulder lanes. Traffic volumes are fairly high, between 100,000 and 112,000 vehicles per day. Despite the south of Limburg being characterised as a 'declining region', traffic volumes have actually seen strong growth over the past 10 years, adding almost 30,000 vehicles per day since 2006.

They plan to expand A2 to a proper six lane motorway with shoulders. As this motorway was built in the early 1960s, the will also address some obsolete design standards. They will widen A2 'asymetrically' which means some of the axis of the motorway will be moved, instead of a simple outward expansion. This also allows a continuous six lane availability during construction.

The corridor design.

* Purple: outward widening
* Blue: east side expansion
* Pink: west side expansion

EPA001 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:23 AM   #14668
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N34 Drenthe

Drenthe Province has announced plans to build passing lanes on N34 between Emmen and Zuidlaren. There will be four locations where N34 will be expanded to 2x2 lanes, each is 3 kilometers long.

Presently N34 is a two-lane 100 km/h express road. The largest component is the construction of a four lane viaduct over the Gieten roundabout (N33/N34), a long-standing wish. The project cost for all 4 expansions combined is € 90 million.

Traffic volumes on N34 fluctuate between 13,000 and 22,000 vehicles per day on the two-lane segments. It is the backbone of Eastern Drenthe. The long-standing wish to expand the entire road to a four lane expressway cannot be funded at this moment, Drenthe also says it will have too much impact on the landscape.

These segments will be four laned:

Turf, EPA001 liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:30 AM   #14669
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post

N23: What does "new expressway, mostly with four lanes" mean? Is it relevant for my expressway u/c list?
Yes I think so. The 'N23' (it will likely not be signed as such) is currently being expanded to a four lane expressway between Hoorn and Hoogkarspel. The four lane segment is 14 kilometers long. East of Hoogkarspel there will be two lanes to Enkhuizen.

Quote:

N35: Is the expressway section already u/c? What's the exact lengths?
Yes it is under construction, I posted some photos recently. It will be 4 kilometers long. It is a bypass of Wijthmen, the four lane segment runs from Oldeneelallee in Zwolle to Koelmansstraat near Hoonhorst. There will be only one interchange along this stretch, however.

Quote:
N434: Has the exact schedule been published?
They plan to hold a public meeting on 28/29 June, they will probably reveal a schedule for the project.

MichiH liked this post
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:36 PM   #14670
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 2nd phase of the tender to build the new A16 motorway around the north side of Rotterdam has commenced.
Any drawing available of this section of A16?
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2017, 02:56 PM   #14671
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

http://www.platformparticipatie.nl/I...318-377677.pdf (PDF alert)
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:23 AM   #14672
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Apeldoorn - Hengelo

The draft environmental impact assessment for the expansion of A1 in Eastern Netherlands has been signed by transportation minister Schultz. It will be published on June 30th.

A 50 kilometer stretch of A1 will be widened by one lane in each direction;

* Beekbergen interchange (A50) to Deventer-Oost: 2x4 lanes
* Deventer-Oost to Azelo interchange (A35): 2x3 lanes

Due to funding constraints, it will be done in two phases, tackling the most urgent stretches first.

* 2018-2020: Twello - Deventer 2x4
* 2018-2020: Deventer-Oost - Rijssen 2x3
* 2024-2028: Apeldoorn - Twello 2x4
* 2024-2028: Deventer - Deventer-Oost 2x4
* 2024-2028: Rijssen - Azelo 2x3

It is a € 400 million project. The highest cost is for the Beekbergen - Deventer-Oost segment, which needs to be expanded outward as the median was already consumed by left shoulder lanes in 2006. The IJssel River Bridge will not be replaced however, similar to the almost identical IJssel Bridge at Zwolle, there will be 2x4 lanes and no shoulders. Both bridges were built from the late 1960s and opened to traffic in 1970 (A28) and 1972 (A1).

The eastern and longest segment from Deventer-Oost to the Azelo interchange is a cheap expansion as there already is a wide median available and overpasses and bridge have sufficient space for six-laning. It's unclear to me why they project 4 years for this segment, I think it will be completed in 1.5 years unless they use extensive phasing, but that's not very common for a single project in the Netherlands.

Old Google Maps showing the expansion project:

keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 11:29 AM   #14673
Suburbanist
on the road

I thought signing off on big projects was not allowed until a new coalition is formed.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:29 PM   #14674
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It was not declared controversial. Also, it is not a final environmental impact assessment / plan approval, but a draft version.

But in my opinion a draft version can arguably considered to be the most important step. Although it does not authorize the project, it does include the detailed and final design, the final EIA is normally only a small update of the draft version. Furthermore, appeals against the final EIA can only proceed if the appealer also commented on the draft EIA.

The draft EIA is also used to check if there are any problems which may lead to a dismissal of the final EIA by the Council of State. In the past 10 years basically no final EIAs were dismissed by the Council of State, only minor things had to be repaired within x weeks.

Suburbanist liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:32 PM   #14675
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Noorderbrug, Maastricht

The Noorderbrug or Northern Bridge across the Meuse River in Maastricht is being reconstructed. Although the main span remains unchanged (maintenance only), the west approach of the bridge will be relocated as part of a redevelopment of the road system in this part of Maastricht.

They built a new approach ramp on site and will then slide it in. This way they don't have to shut down the bridge for a prolonged period of time.

LuFo-Belvedere19juni17-043 by Belvedere Maastricht, on Flickr

LuFo-Belvedere19juni17-006 by Belvedere Maastricht, on Flickr

LuFo-Belvedere19juni17-001 by Belvedere Maastricht, on Flickr

Surel, SRC_100, 8166UY, EPA001, Basnix liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 12:41 PM   #14676
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I thought signing off on big projects was not allowed until a new coalition is formed.
In principle, but the wording is very vague. If you're up for a small political science lesson, keep reading (if not, then don't ):

In principle, outgoing cabinets are not allowed to handle "controversial issues" because during this time, parliament no longer possesses its ultimate power of firing the government (elections have, after all, already taken place and the government is already on its way out).

But what does and does not constitute a "controversial issue" is determined by parliament itself.

And the ultimate authority in our system always resides with parliament anyway. So if a majority of parliament orders the government to carry out X, then the government has to do it. Even if it's outgoing.

Wilhem275 liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:36 PM   #14677
Suburbanist
on the road

I thought certain types of projects of programs or executive actions were deemed controversial from the onset, before elections, such that the "controversial nature" of certain things pre-agreed upon before elections couldn't be changed afterward.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:40 PM   #14678
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Parliament can always change its mind, this stuff is mostly unwritten.

If you examine past outgoing governments, there's always a clear pattern that fewer and fewer things become "controversial" the longer negotiations for a new coalition go on. Because the country has to be governed.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 02:09 PM   #14679
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A58

In Western Brabant, the A58 motorway makes a slight detour to the north, running through Bergen op Zoom, Roosendaal and Etten-Leur.

However in the past there were plans to build a southern alignment, indicated as the 'Kempener Randweg' on this map. What eventually became A58 was an upgrade of the old road, indicated as 'rw 256' on the map.

Victorinus, EPA001, Basnix liked this post
Old June 23rd, 2017, 04:02 PM   #14680
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N18

N18 is being upgraded to a two / four lane expressway from Varsseveld to Enschede. The Haaksbergen - Enschede segment will be a four lane expressway.

They are constructing an underpass under the railroad. However they found inferior construction quality at the foundation of this railroad viaduct, they will rebuild this.

This problem will not delay the project however, in fact the opening date of the new N18 has been moved up from late 2018 to early 2018!

EPA001 liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands