daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:28 PM   #14681
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
In Western Brabant, the A58 motorway makes a slight detour to the north, running through Bergen op Zoom, Roosendaal and Etten-Leur.

However in the past there were plans to build a southern alignment, indicated as the 'Kempener Randweg' on this map. What eventually became A58 was an upgrade of the old road, indicated as 'rw 256' on the map.

[img]
Very interesting... Any relation to the A256/N256 outside Goes?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2017, 10:19 PM   #14682
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Rijksweg

No, the number is probably derived from the former rijksweg 56 which ran between Roosendaal and Breda in the rijkswegenplan of 1958. It wasn't until the rijkswegenplan 1984 that the current numbering was adopted, earlier plans had a separate rijksweg number for each segment between cities.

For example present-day A2 from Amsterdam to Maastricht was numbered as rijksweg 2, 26, 64, 68 and 75 in the 1958 road plan.

N256 has never been a rijksweg, the current provincial road numbering was adopted in 1993. Previously, provinces used S-numbers (secundaire weg) and T-numbers (tertiaire weg) to number their roads. For example, prior to 1993, present-day N256 from Zierikzee to Goes was numbered S7.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #14683
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N260 Baarle

The province of North Brabant expects to begin construction of the N260 bypass of Baarle after the summer. This bypass runs through the famous Baarle-Nassau / Baarle-Hertog area which is cut up in many Belgian and Dutch territories, with enclaves within each other.

Procedures were nightmarishly complex due to the administrative mess. The new bypass runs mainly on Dutch territory but cuts through five Belgian exclaves. The Belgian plan approval was annulled by the Council of State in 2011.

According to the latest newsletter, the Belgian Council of State has still not issued its final verdict on the Belgian portions of the project (as of December 2016), so they will first start construction on the northern part of the bypass which runs entirely on Dutch territory. The plan is to open the entire bypass in 2018, but it's not set in stone due to the Belgian procedures and expropriation.

Belgian exclaves in the Netherlands:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Turf, EPA001, kamilbuk, snowdog liked this post
Old June 27th, 2017, 05:18 PM   #14684
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Will it have only Dutch denomination?
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 06:18 PM   #14685
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I expect that will be the case. It will link two parts of N260 and N639 in the Netherlands and it will run across the Dutch territory for most of its length and the project is initiated by the Netherlands. I expect it will be signed as N260. Most N-numbers >400 are not signed, as they are considered to be secondary provincial roads. Only some N400+ numbers are signed in the field. N639 will probably not be signed, but you'll never know...
Old June 28th, 2017, 08:01 PM   #14686
ChrisZwolle
Road user

statistics

Rijkswaterstaat published a report about the development of the national road system in the first four months of 2017.

Traffic growth continued over the longer term, though declined a bit in Q1 2017. It is common for the first quarter to have lower traffic volumes than other quarters.

More importantly, traffic congestion has stabilized, despite some 2 billion more vehicle kilometers on the motorways since mid-2016, traffic congestion has not increased since then.

Graph: traffic congestion level (millions of kilometer minutes)

Graph: vehicle kilometers traveled on the rijkswegen (the motorway system and a few select other national roads).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

UnequalSine, EPA001, Surel liked this post
Old June 29th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #14687
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A44 / N206 Rijnland Route

An interesting development, they are going to build a DDI (Diverging Diamond Interchange) at the A44 'Leiden-West' interchange.

http://sleutelstad.nl/2017/06/29/boo...rijnlandroute/

H/T: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=764

This would be the first DDI in the Netherlands and the second in Europe since at least the early 1990s, when they built a few around Paris. Denmark is currently constructing a DDI on E20 near Odense.

Interestingly, this interchange was previously planned as a six-ramp parclo (A4 parclo). Very common in Canada, but unusual in much of Europe as well.

Luki_SL, EPA001, riiga, snowdog liked this post
Old June 30th, 2017, 04:00 PM   #14688
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen

Recent photos of the N31 four lane upgrade in Harlingen.

JDR_8345 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_8330 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_8279 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_7723 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr
Old June 30th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #14689
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1/A27 Utrecht - Hilversum - Amersfoort

The expansion of A1 and A27 officially kicks off tomorrow.

A1 will be expanded from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes from the Eemnes interchange (A27) to the Bunschoten exit. A27 will be expanded from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes with space for 2x4 lanes from Utrecht-Noord to the Eemnes interchange.

They will use an interesting construction zone approach. Instead of lane closures or lane movements, they will create 3 lanes right from the start of works, with a 90 km/h speed limit. The shoulder will be eliminated for the duration of the works.

This means that traffic flow improves already when construction starts, and not only when the project is completed. They calculated that 3 lanes with 90 km/h has a better capacity than 2 lanes with 100 or 120 km/h through the construction zone. I believe it is the first time they used this approach, so we'll see how it plays out.

They will also work in an upstream way, so that once a section is completed, traffic can immediately use all lanes at 120 or 130 km/h. That means traffic doesn't have to slow down until the entire project is completed.

bogdymol, EPA001 liked this post
Old June 30th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #14690
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1 Apeldoorn - Hengelo

The draft environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the A1 expansion project in Eastern Netherlands has been published today.

The project will widen a 55 kilometer stretch of A1, from Apeldoorn-Zuid to the Azelo motorway interchange with A35.

* Apeldoorn-Zuid - Beekbergen (A50): 2x3 lanes
* Beekbergen - Deventer: 2x4 lanes
* Deventer - Azelo (A35): 2x3 lanes

It is likely the longest expansion project of a single motorway to be environmentally approved with a single EIA. The Netherlands has a dense motorway network so they typically don't widen very long stretches under a single project.

The project cost is a little over € 400 million, which is quite cheap. This is due to the fact that only a small number of bridges need to be replaced and some widened. East of Deventer, not a single bridge needs replacement or widening since the were built with space for six lanes in mind in the 1970s.

There will be a short collector/express system between the Beekbergen motorway interchange with A50 and the nearby Voorst exit. There will be 12 lanes in total.

Interestingly, the A1 expansion will already commence west of the Apeldoorn-Zuid interchange, incorporating the recently built auxiliary lanes. It was previously thought that the expansion would start at the Beekbergen interchange (A50). So it adds a few kilometers.

Also, they will build six through lanes on A1 at the Beekbergen interchange. Oftentimes in the Netherlands motorway expansions drop back to fewer lanes through interchanges as a lot of traffic enters and exits, leading to a lower volume of through traffic. This is a feature that Germany generally does better: six lanes through motorway-to-motorway interchanges. The Dutch A12 is a particularly bad example, where there will be six or more lanes virtually from The Hague to Germany, but capacity briefly drops back to four lanes at 5 motorway interchanges.

Turf, EPA001 liked this post
Old June 30th, 2017, 11:38 PM   #14691
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

As long as it doesn't cause traffic jams, I think the Dutch practice of narrowing the lane setup through an interchange, and then widening it afterwards (using the merged oncoming lanes) works quite well.

Sometimes it doesn't, though.
Old July 1st, 2017, 11:19 AM   #14692
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Praatpaal

The entire network of emergency telephones, known as a praatpaal in Dutch, has been decommissioned today. All 3300 emergency telephones will get a cover this weekend.

500 phones have been up for sale, priced at € 299 each, with some optional accessories for € 75. They went on sale at midnight and all 500 were sold out within 30 minutes.

It has been announced that second round of sales will follow. The rest of the stock will get a second life with various purposes, some will be donated to museums.

Originally, the emergency telephone has been procured by the road authority for € 7,923.24 each.

keokiracer, EPA001 liked this post

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; July 1st, 2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old July 1st, 2017, 04:12 PM   #14693
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

Motorway A2 at dusk

Stripes of light by Rick Bakker, on Flickr

Btw, did I see it correctly that the A2 has 7(!) through lanes(albeit a short bit) between KP Holendrecht and Abcoude? That would be the widest bit around.. Europe?
Old July 1st, 2017, 04:18 PM   #14694
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Great phot

I've heard that about A2 near Abcoude as well, but I have not seen it for myself yet.
Old July 1st, 2017, 04:21 PM   #14695
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

I'm not sure if i counted correctly, (I thought that my eyes where fooling me) but it looked like it for sure.
Old July 1st, 2017, 06:15 PM   #14696
keokiracer
Roadgeek from NL

Likes (Received): 2629

Yes it's 7 lanes wide for a short while

Printscreen from this video.
keokiracer está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 05:56 AM   #14697
Reivajar

Likes (Received): 3340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
An interesting development, they are going to build a DDI (Diverging Diamond Interchange) at the A44 'Leiden-West' interchange.

http://sleutelstad.nl/2017/06/29/boo...rijnlandroute/

H/T: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...&postcount=764

This would be the first DDI in the Netherlands and the second in Europe since at least the early 1990s, when they built a few around Paris. Denmark is currently constructing a DDI on E20 near Odense.

Interestingly, this interchange was previously planned as a six-ramp parclo (A4 parclo). Very common in Canada, but unusual in much of Europe as well.
Just by chance I've been driving on one of those intersections in Northern Atlanta for the first time, and I have mixed feelings about them. I imagine that it manages traffic in a more efficient way. However, I have the impression it is kind of confusing, particularly for not local drivers. Are there any kind of accidents studies applied to this kind of intersections?
Reivajar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 02:15 PM   #14698
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Dumbness of some drivers is not an excuse to make less efficient interchanges imho.

I personally tink the six-ramp design was better though.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2017, 03:20 PM   #14699
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
However, I have the impression it is kind of confusing, particularly for not local drivers.
New types of infrastructure can be confusing, it was also the case with roundabouts (many Americans swear they are death traps) and later with turbo roundabouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivajar View Post
Are there any kind of accidents studies applied to this kind of intersections?
Not that I am aware of in Europe, simply because it has almost never been implemented. There are a few around Paris but they are very tight compared to what they have constructed in the U.S.

Good guidance with signage and road striping is essential.

This design has several good pros and the DDI has now been extensively applied in the U.S., most states have at least one DDI now and some states have a fairly large number (for example Missouri).

Reivajar liked this post
Old July 3rd, 2017, 06:34 PM   #14700
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
Dumbness of some drivers is not an excuse to make less efficient interchanges imho.
If the more efficient is less safe, it actually is (assuming that smarter drivers are generally less accident prone).

g.spinoza liked this post
julesstoop no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands