daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 14th, 2017, 09:18 PM   #14741
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

A2 Abcoude

A photo of the 7 lane section of A2 between the Holendrecht interchange (A9) and Abcoude. It's very short, but it's the first 7 lane section in the Netherlands that is not marked as auxiliary / exit lanes. I think it also could be the first 7 lane section overall.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

spartannl, CborG, EPA001, SRC_100, Bender liked this post
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #14742
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1/A50 Knooppunt Beekbergen

The new flyover at the Beekbergen motorway interchange (A1/A50) opened to traffic early this morning.

It used to be a standard cloverleaf with collector lanes. The new layout:

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

AvB, EPA001, Luki_SL, Turf, SRC_100 liked this post
Old July 17th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #14743
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure

New photos of the Joure motorway interchange (A6/A7) project.

Interesting to see these flyovers rise across the flat landscape.

DSC_0026.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0042.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

DSC_0050.jpg by Jeroen van Lieshout, on Flickr

Turf, SRC_100, EPA001, Bender, 8166UY liked this post
Old July 18th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #14744
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Amsterdam

Not often do you see a 5 tube tunnel under construction!

Basnix, Bender, zaphod, SRC_100, Slagathor and 3 others liked this post
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:27 PM   #14745
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A24 Blankenburg Tunnel, Rotterdam

Rijkswaterstaat has conditionally awarded a large € 1 billion DBFM contract to build the A24 Blankenburg Tunnel in Rotterdam. If no complaints are lodged, Rijkswaterstaat will award the project to a consortium made up of Ballast Nedam (Netherlands), DEME (Belgium) and Macquarie (Australia).

It is a 20 year concession to build, finance and operate the tunnel and A24 motorway. The project includes the construction of a six lane tunnel, the westernmost crossing in Rotterdam, the A24 motorway and the expansion of A15 and A20 motorways leading up to the tunnel.

junky, keokiracer, Luki_SL, Zagor666 liked this post
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:44 PM   #14746
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Would it make any sense to extend A24 all the way through A4 and then to the A13-A16 link?
To create a sort of northern ring of Rotterdam (since A20 is clearly no more a ring road).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:48 PM   #14747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Don't say that out loud!....
Old July 20th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #14748
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

That would make sense. So would continuing the A4 past Hoogvliet and Oud-Beijerland on that map above.

But sense is irrelevant.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #14749
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

They should also extend A15 to Monster. That area is full of greenhouses. thus plenty of truck/van traffic. Yet, roads are bad, slow and busy.

-----------

Speaking of vans, the number of cargo vans in the Netherlands reached an all-time high of 800.000, including small cargo vehicles used on construction industry that are not technically trucks. Boomning online shopping for ever increasing range of products has induced a lot of growth of the super-express parcel industry (same-day delivery or "buy-before-midnight-next-afternoon-at-your-house"). While truck traffic is severely regulated, vans get much more leeway and are mostly treated as passenger cars, and there have been complaints about things like vans blocking narrow streets for up to half-hour while a single delivery man goes through the block, cargo vans blocking bike traffic, parking on cycle tracks, blocking sidewalk cuts (useful not only for wheelchairs but also baby pushchairs, people with crutches etc).

Vans are driven much more inside cities in terms of hours of active use per day than private cars. If the trend continues, I see a strong case for making cargo vans fleet fully electric by 2025.

I myself am a contributor to the trend, I ordered 48 online packages so far this year with 3 on the way, I just don't bother going to the store buy new shampoo and toothpaste if I can get them online delivered without a charge if I spend more than € 10 (as some stores now offer). I'm not a big spender, my median ticket is around € 50 or so, I just buy everything but fresh food groceries online now.

From CBS
Quote:
Nederlandse bestelauto’s vervoerden in 2016 ruim 64 miljoen ton goederen. Dit was ongeveer 10 procent van het totaal vervoerde gewicht over de weg door Nederlandse voertuigen. Vooral bouw- en servicebedrijven maken gebruik van bestelauto’s. Dit meldt het CBS op basis van cijfers samengesteld in opdracht van het Kennisinstituut voor Mobiliteitsbeleid.
In 2016 waren er ongeveer 800 duizend bestelauto’s en -busjes die zakelijk werden gebruikt. Servicebedrijven vervoerden 34 miljoen ton goederen met bestelauto’s (exclusief gereedschap), bouwbedrijven 22 miljoen ton en goederen, post- en pakketbedrijven 8 miljoen ton.

Nederlandse bestelauto’s reden vorig jaar 15,8 miljard kilometers om al deze goederen op de plaats van bestemming te krijgen. Dat is gemiddeld 43 miljoen kilometer per dag. Bestelauto’s reden hiermee bijna zeven keer zo weinig kilometers als personenauto’s, maar bijna driemaal zoveel als vrachtauto’s.

De meeste kilometers werden gereden door bestelauto’s van bouw- en servicebedrijven. Zij waren goed voor driekwart van alle afgelegde kilometers. Bestelauto’s in het goederen- en postvervoer legden de overige 25 procent van alle gereden kilometers af. Hun aandeel in het vervoerde gewicht bedroeg slechts 13 procent. In het goederen- en postvervoer worden veelal lichte artikelen, zoals levensmiddelen, bloemen, postpakketjes en post vervoerd.

Last edited by Suburbanist; July 20th, 2017 at 05:19 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #14750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Maybe we need more bakfiets

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:25 PM   #14751
Suburbanist
on the road

Bakfiets with electric motors actually work quite well for certain deliveries. The problem with online shopping and parcel delivery, logistically, is that packaging is often enormous for their weight. That is not a problem if the contents are expensive cell phones or laptops, but when a € 20 order weighing just 1kg comes on standard 20x30x10 packages, bikes cannot deal with the volume even if they could deal perfectly with the weight. Unless they used much more delivery persons, and then costs would go up significantly.

Something that seems promising, at least, is a new trend of fitting 'smart lockers' in denser areas and multi-story buildings, so instead of buzzing 10 people in the same building and waiting 30 minutes to sort it all, the delivery person automatically puts stuff in lockers and send SMS one-time codes for the intended receivers who can then go downstairs, or to the end of the block, pick stuff up. I'm part of such a pilot program here in Tilburg. Anything that doesn't strictly require my signature goes to a locker. I then use an app to unblock and pick the parcels up - so it means no packages given to neighbors, no return trips next day, no need to time my presence at home.

ChasingCars liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:27 PM   #14752
Suburbanist
on the road

The Ministry of Justice announced it wants to increase criminal penalties for the most egregious traffic violations.
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:32 PM   #14753
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I've read that a third of traffic in the canal belt of Amsterdam are delivery vans. These streets are narrow so these vans often block the street for a prolonged period of time (driving up to the next building all the time).

They need a solution that is cost-effective and practical. Bike messengers exist in most cities but they can only carry relatively small amounts of cargo. Cycloon is a rapidly growing bicycle delivery service in larger cities. I see them all the time in Zwolle. But the problem seems to be cost; you need a large amount of personnel to deliver all those packages by bicycle.

I've seen some unrealistic proposals such as building a tube system under Amsterdam where parcels would be sent through, or drone delivery. Imagine buzzing drones overhead the entire day.

Suburbanist liked this post
Old July 20th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #14754
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6112

What they need is a central delivery service like they have in 's-Hertogenbosch and Utrecht. Preferrably with electric vehicles. Mind you that currently deliveries are done with delivery trucks, no matter how big or small the delivery actually is. That means a truck can hold up an entire street for one crate of champaign.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:27 PM   #14755
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Rijkswaterstaat has conditionally awarded a large € 1 billion DBFM contract to build the A24 Blankenburg Tunnel in Rotterdam. If no complaints are lodged, Rijkswaterstaat will award the project to a consortium made up of Ballast Nedam (Netherlands), DEME (Belgium) and Macquarie (Australia).

It is a 20 year concession to build, finance and operate the tunnel and A24 motorway. The project includes the construction of a six lane tunnel, the westernmost crossing in Rotterdam, the A24 motorway and the expansion of A15 and A20 motorways leading up to the tunnel.

Where's the rest of the A24 supposed to go? For those of us who thought we knew the Dutch A-roads but have never heard of it. :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #14756
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That would make sense. So would continuing the A4 past Hoogvliet and Oud-Beijerland on that map above.

But sense is irrelevant.
Isn't that what's supposed to happen?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 20th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #14757
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Officially: nothing beyond the A15 to A20 link

But a northern belt line of Rotterdam has been proposed in the past and construction will also commence on the A16 extension to A13 within a few years. So an A24 extension to A16 seems logical, but it is officially not planned and the new interchanges built as part of those projects also are not designed for any further extension.

Penn's Woods, Luki_SL liked this post
Old July 21st, 2017, 06:36 PM   #14758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A10 Amsterdam

A10 will be closed on the west side of Amsterdam for two three-week periods, one direction at the time. They will resurface the motorway and replace bridge joints and drainage systems. Traffic will be detoured via the other side of Amsterdam or A5.

The last major overhaul on this part of A10 occurred during the summer of 2001. They used a 4+0 system at that time, with traffic in both directions using one carriageway. They feared a traffic chaos but it turned out to be managable. Traffic surely increased in the area and the rest of A10, but it wasn't a carmageddon.

This time there won't be such a configuration, one side is being worked on and the other side runs as normal. However traffic can now use A5 to bypass A10. In 2001, traffic had no such alternative. They expect delays of up to 30 minutes during rush hour, though it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't turn out to be so bad.

Old July 21st, 2017, 08:31 PM   #14759
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

First European freeway I drove on, after picking up a tiny Fiat from Hertz on Overtoom....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old July 21st, 2017, 09:37 PM   #14760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N305 Almere

The twinning of N305 in Almere is now substantially complete. This will be an 80 km/h four lane road with traffic lights.

DSCN1454 by dutchroadmovies, on Flickr

N305 Vogelweg oost by dutchroadmovies, on Flickr

N305 Vogelweg - Nederstichtselaan by dutchroadmovies, on Flickr

8166UY, SRC_100, DK97, Slagathor liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands