daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 23rd, 2017, 09:31 PM   #14821
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

N702 / S101 Almere

The province of Flevoland will start the expansion of provincial road N702 along the west side of Almere to a six-lane expressway. Construction will start in the second half of 2018 and will be completed by 2022. Intersections will be replaced by interchanges. It connects to the A6 expansion project.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:37 AM   #14822
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

I'm having a Mojito with a great view of knoopount Holdendrecht from 18 floor of a hotel. These LED lights are incredibly fancy, fully illuminated highway but no glare escaping upwards

Slagathor, g.spinoza liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:38 AM   #14823
junky

Likes (Received): 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I'm having a Mojito with a great view of knoopount Holdendrecht from 18 floor of a hotel. These LED lights are incredibly fancy, fully illuminated highway but no glare escaping upwards
And no picture?
junky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 12:06 PM   #14824
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

You can't photograph LEDs, they're like vampires.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #14825
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen

Recent photos of the four-lane expansion project in Harlingen.

JDR_panorama 3940 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_4749 panorama by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

Harl N31 (6) by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr
Old August 24th, 2017, 04:21 PM   #14826
MattiG

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
You can't photograph LEDs, they're like vampires.
Sure you can, with the exposure time long enough.
MattiG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2017, 07:20 PM   #14827
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N62 Terneuzen - Goes

I put together a video of the upgraded N62 from Terneuzen to Goes in Zeeland province.

Post-2000 upgrades;
* Westerschelde Tunnel (6.6 km): 2003
* Sluiskil Tunnel (1.3 km): 2015
* N254 to A58 four-laning: 2016

Future upgrades;

* N254/N62 interchange (planned to start in a few years).
* N62 four-laning from the Belgian border to Terneuzen (started recently).
Old September 8th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #14828
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Autoweek reports that for the first time ever, the Netherlands has more unmanned, automated fuel stations than staffed fuel stations. There are now 2068 unmanned fuel stations and 2044 manned fuel stations.

Unlike some other countries, there are (virtually) no big box supermarkets in the Netherlands that sell fuel. In some countries, supermarkets supply close to half of all fuel sold, in the Netherlands this phenomenon is virtually unknown, but is replaced by the unmanned fuel stations, which typically have a 10-15 cent/liter discount compared to motorway service areas. You can find unmanned discount fuel stations practically everywhere, along major roads (but generally not motorways) but also more hidden locations in residential areas.

Some people argue that the Netherlands has too many fuel stations for its population size. There is approximately 1 fuel station for every 4,100 inhabitants.

I personally never refuel at a manned fuel station in the Netherlands. There is no point in going to refuel your car at a premium price and then even have to stand in line waiting to pay at a cashier.
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #14829
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

We do have Makro (Metro group)
https://www.makro.nl/vestigingen/tanken
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:21 PM   #14830
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I personally never refuel at a manned fuel station in the Netherlands. There is no point in going to refuel your car at a premium price and then even have to stand in line waiting to pay at a cashier.
There's no "pay-at-the-pump"? (When you say unmanned station, I'm visualizing a stand-alone fuel pump or two on a property where there's nothing else...as opposed to a convenience store or whatever that has pumps in front that you operate yourself, but someone inside to make change if you want to pay cash or have trouble, or to sell you food and drink....)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:41 PM   #14831
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
There's no "pay-at-the-pump"? (When you say unmanned station, I'm visualizing a stand-alone fuel pump or two on a property where there's nothing else...as opposed to a convenience store or whatever that has pumps in front that you operate yourself, but someone inside to make change if you want to pay cash or have trouble, or to sell you food and drink....)
Unmanned means completely unmanned. The payment terminal is next to the pump or a centralized one for 2 or 4 side-by-side of pumps. You put your card first, enter your PIN, refuel, take card out, print receipt and leave.

There are also stations with a small convenience store inside, which often have fuel costs € 0,08 - 0,15 higher than unmanned ones. Convenience stores are relatively small outside highway rest areas. They are rather expensive.

I believe two of the reasons more and more stations are shutting off convenience stores and going completely unmanned are:

- more supermarkets opened until later or on weekends, and they all sell everything a convenience store has

- use of cash is declining fast in general, and the latest generation of PIN cards is very reliable (compared to the previous swipe + PIN). This is critical because new implementations of card transaction systems can pre-authorize an amount on a SEPA (Standard European Payment Area) instantly with zero risk of underfunded transaction when actual amount is complete.

The Dutch don't use credit cards that much, they prefer PIN cards for everyday expenses.

Labor is also expensive in Netherlands.
Old September 8th, 2017, 10:46 PM   #14832
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

In my limited experience of driving and buying fuel in Europe, I think I've always had to pay indoors at a cashier, even if I was using a card. Here - except in New Jersey (where it's "full service" only) - I always use a card, at a reader built into the pump. If I use the Visa debit card tied to my bank account, there's no cost for that versus paying cash.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:14 PM   #14833
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In the Netherlands it's usually two types;

* completed unstaffed fuel stations. A payment terminal at the pump.
* a staffed fuel station with convenience store. You pay inside at a cashier.

In other countries like Belgium, Luxembourg or France it is common for fuel station to have both a payment terminal at the pump and a convenience store. That is not very common in the Netherlands. It's either one or the other, not both.

In some countries you have to pre-pay inside before you can refuel (typically after 10 p.m.) due to the amount of fuel theft. But this is increasingly replaced with payment terminals at the pump, which are much more convenient than guessing how much money you're going to refuel. Especially in Europe where fuel prices can vary significantly between countries. € 40 buys you 30 liters in France, 33 liters in Luxembourg and 25 liters in the Netherlands for example. Pre-payment at a cashier is a stupid system imho.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Penn's Woods liked this post
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:26 AM   #14834
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

There are totally un-manned fuel stations in Belgium as well and they can have several pumps without a shop or anyone present. You need just need bankpas/creditcard, chose your pumpnumber on the screen and your're done. In my personal experience: Germany, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, France and Croatia there is no way you will pay like that even in local pump stations it's nearmy unheard off. You fill up, by then a smart camera will have read your license plate number. Then you need to go to the cashier, say the pump number and pay the bill. In some stations they will print out your license number on the ticket as well.
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:31 AM   #14835
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsam View Post
There are totally un-manned fuel stations in Belgium as well and they can have several pumps without a shop or anyone present. You need just need bankpas/creditcard, chose your pumpnumber on the screen and your're done. In my personal experience: Germany, Italy, Austria, Slovenia, France and Croatia there is no way you will pay like that even in local pump stations it's nearmy unheard off. You fill up, by then a smart camera will have read your license plate number. Then you need to go to the cashier, say the pump number and pay the bill. In some stations they will print out your license number on the ticket as well.
I've driven in the Netherlands, Belgium, France and Germany, but I'm not sure I've bought fuel in Belgium or Germany. (And I'm saying "fuel" because the cars used diesel.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 10th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #14836
ChrisZwolle
Road user

bridges

Historic aerial photos of bridges in the Netherlands.

1. The Katerveer Bridge across the IJssel River in Zwolle during the late 1920s. The bridge opened to traffic in 1930, and carried all traffic until the motorway bridge opened in 1970. The photo shows that the main arch span was not yet constructed.

Zwolle by Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, on Flickr

2. This photo shows the Katerveer Bridge completed. The twin-span arch bridge in the foreground is a railroad bridge built in the 1860s. It was demolished a few years ago when a new railroad bridge opened.

Zwolle by Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, on Flickr

3. The Waal Bridge at Zaltbommel under construction in the early 1930s. It opened to traffic in 1933 and carried A2 traffic until 1996!

Zaltbommel by Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, on Flickr

4. The Waal Bridge at Nijmegen. It opened in 1936 and was the longest span bridge in Europe at that time.

Nijmegen by Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, on Flickr

5. The Meuse Bridge at Hedel ('s-Hertogenbosch) under construction in the mid-1930s. It opened to traffic in 1937 and carried all through traffic until the motorway bridge opened in 1970.

Hedel by Nederlands Instituut voor Militaire Historie, on Flickr
Old September 10th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #14837
ChrisZwolle
Road user

bridge history

The Netherlands went on a bridge-building spree in the late 1920s. Before 1930 the only bridges across major rivers were railroad bridges. Some routes had pontoon bridges or 'ship bridges' for centuries, but these were not operational at all times.

If you look at the opening dates of major river crossings before World War II;

Rhine River system:
* Willems Bridge Rotterdam: 1878
* Waal Bridge Zaltbommel: 1933
* John Frost Bridge Arnhem: 1935
* Moerdijk Bridge: 1936
* Waal Bridge Nijmegen: 1936
* Lek Bridge Vianen: 1936
* Noord River Bridge: 1939
* City Bridge Zwijndrecht: 1939

Meuse River:
* Sint Servaas Bridge: 1298 / 1932
* Heusden Bridge: 1904
* John S. Thompson Bridge: 1929
* Keizersveer Bridge: 1931
* Wilhelmina Bridge: 1932
* Maas Bridge Hedel: 1937

IJssel River
* IJssel Bridge Zutphen: 1865
* City Bridge Kampen: 1874
* Katerveer Bridge: 1930
* Wilhemina Bridge: 1943

As you can see very few bridges existed before 1930, but a large number of fixed span bridges were completed between 1930 and 1939. Some locations had a combined road/rail bridge, for example across the IJssel River at Zutphen. Some cities had improvised bridges dating back to just after the middle ages. The Sint Servaas Bridge in Maastricht is considered the oldest bridge in the Netherlands and dates back to 1298 but has been reconstructed in 1932.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

UnequalSine, EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old September 14th, 2017, 05:36 PM   #14838
ChrisZwolle
Road user

We had a bit of a windstorm yesterday. Of course the usual suspects were blown over: those light-weight Polish / Romanian trucks with a single-axle trailer. They can overturn even when parked on a rest area. These types of trucks are almost never used by Dutch trucking companies. They cause traffic headaches every time there is a windstorm.

Old September 14th, 2017, 08:31 PM   #14839
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Huh. I heard "hurricane-force winds" (above about 120 km/h); is that an exaggeration?

A friend recently moved from Georgia to the Frankfurt area. He reported a fallen tree limb on Facebook yesterday and joked that Irma had followed him.

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old September 14th, 2017, 09:00 PM   #14840
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There were some gusts up to 120 km/h.

Wind speeds are measured in two ways in the Netherlands;

* sustained winds: usually expressed in the Beaufort scale. (12 bft = hurricane). More scientific sources will use meters per second.
* gusts: usually expressed in km/h. Expressing gusts with the Beaufort scale is considered improper usage. There is no such thing as a '12 bft gust'.

The Beaufort scale is not used in many countries. In Europe it goes up to 12 bft, in Taiwan it evidently has a higher scale to account for the typhoons. 12 bft as a sustained wind is extremely rare in the Netherlands. 9 bft is a gale (tropical storm force in the U.S.), 10 or 11 bft is sometimes briefly attained at one or two coastal measuring stations, usually for only a short period of time. 12 bft is really uncommon.

Penn's Woods liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands