daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 16th, 2017, 09:58 PM   #14861
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

They built tunnels for north-south traffic under the intersection in 2009, which relieved some pressure from the traffic light-controlled intersection.

The intersection was built in 1968 when they developed the first stage of N7 through Groningen. It was completely in use with all four branches in 1971. It was always seen as 'temporary' because they started planning a new southern bypass already during the 1970s. However a good alignment with limited impact could not be identified and later studies showed that the bulk of N7 traffic has an origin or destination in Groningen, so it would be more effective to upgrade the existing N7, which is what they're going to do over the next few years.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #14862
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

Hopefully N7 will be signed as A7 after the upgrade, to avoid creating an Italian-style road numbering inconsistency.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #14863
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It will remain N7 because the design standards of a motorway cannot fit through there without sacrificing capacity. It's a small miracle they're going to expand that section of N7 to 2x4 lanes.
Old September 16th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #14864
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

I think A31 through Harlingen will also remain being called N31. I passed there today and doubt that it will be completed by the end of the year. Is there any updated estimated opening date?

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #14865
Langeveldt

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
I drove there this afternoon and there was no jam at all. I even didn't have to stop...

Well, I think Saturday afternoon should not be used to set the benchmark
Wait until you go there when FC Groningen have a match.
Langeveldt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 12:52 PM   #14866
italystf

Likes (Received): 2186

I think European countries should use a more pragmatic approach when numbering their roads.
Let's say, if a section of road has a bit lower standard than motorway standards, but it's the natural continuation of a motorway, it should be signposted as the rest of the motorway to make the numbering system more intuitive. Of course a lower speed limit could be implemented there if necessary, but a lower speed limit isn't incompatible with motorway designation.
Let alone the cases where a same-standard road changes number only because it crosses a national subdivision or because it's managed by a different DOT.
In some countries like Switzerland, Austria, Hungary or Croatia some non-motorway roads have the same prefix normally used for motorways, when the same route is made up by both motorway and non-motorway sections.
The extreme opposite could be Italy, where the route between Messina and Rosolini, although perfectly continuous, changes denomination 5 times (!), only because different sections were built in different times and are managed by different government bodies.
“The transponder’s personalised signal would be picked up when the car passed through an intersection, and then relayed to a central computer which would calculate the charge according to the intersection and the time of day and add it to the car’s bill” - Nobel Economics Prize winner William Vickrey, proposing a system of electronic tolling for the Washington metropolitan area, 1959
In real life, electronic toll collection was first introduced in Bergen, Norway in 1986, and well into the 21th century many countries still struggle to implement it.

Coccodrillo liked this post
italystf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 03:03 PM   #14867
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

The Dutch take a step in the right direction by using the same numbers. (I mean the A7 and N7 are segments of the same route 7, whereas in other countries they might not have much to do with each other.)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #14868
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2083

Just because A roads generally replace the N road of the corridor... Poland does it the same way (S roads replace DK roads)...

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)

Kanadzie liked this post
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #14869
sotonsi

As do Ireland and Czechia.
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2017, 08:13 PM   #14870
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are a couple of numbering systems in use in Europe;

* integrated system of combined A/N routes separated by prefix: Netherlands
* system where A/N routes run parallel to each other and where A route numbering is roughly based on N numbering: France
* separate system for A/N route numbering: Germany

The Netherlands is a bit unusual in that there are almost no non-motorways owned by the national government. There are also no major roads running parallel to motorways as well. For example in France there is a system of (pre 2006) routes nationales running parallel to motorways, the A-numbering system is roughly based on the N-numbering.

The Netherlands was very early with building roads on new alignments, especially in the west where roads ran across dikes and were not suited for any quick travel even outside of the towns. A number of motorways in the west were already built in the 1930s, or are based on new alignment roads built in the 1930s. By the time mass-motorization came around in the 1950s and 1960s, a fairly extensive network of motorways already existed, so there was little need to upgrade the secondary road network. By the late 1970s virtually all major routes were motorways. Provinces upgraded some routes as well, but only on a case-by-case basis, they weren't planning to upgrade all provincial roads to higher standards due to the dense motorway network that was planned.
Old September 18th, 2017, 03:34 PM   #14871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A9 Gaasperdam Tunnel

The first asphalt has been poured in the Gaasperdam Tunnel in Amsterdam. At 3 kilometers, is the longest land tunnel in the Netherlands. It has 5 tubes.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

keokiracer, 8166UY, EPA001, Luki_SL, 0095914 liked this post
Old September 18th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #14872
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen

Quote:
I think A31 through Harlingen will also remain being called N31. I passed there today and doubt that it will be completed by the end of the year. Is there any updated estimated opening date?
I doubt whether it will open in the next three months as well. We'll see, sometimes these projects mop up quickly in the final phase.

JDR_7328 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_7271 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_6620 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_6618 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Luki_SL, 8166UY, MichiH, Turf, EPA001 liked this post
Old September 18th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #14873
ErwinFCG

Likes (Received): 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
It will remain N7 because the design standards of a motorway cannot fit through there without sacrificing capacity. It's a small miracle they're going to expand that section of N7 to 2x4 lanes.
I also don't really understand why it could not be named A7, apart from bureaucratic reasons. Especially after the reconstruction when there are no longer at-grade intersections, I think it makes much more sense. The current situation just makes it very unclear. For example, the traffic information on the radio often gives traffic jams on the "A7 from the German border towards Westerbroek" (rather than "towards Groningen"). From the other side, often a traffic jam of e.g. 2 km is reported on the A7 between Hoogkerk and Groningen-West, while actually this traffic jam continues to the Julianaplein junction on the N7, but this is never reported.
ErwinFCG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #14874
renroz

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
I drove there this afternoon and there was no jam at all. I even didn't have to stop...

Well, I think Saturday afternoon should not be used to set the benchmark
In the morning, there is jam from 7am-9am , and 16 - I guess 18:30. From all the 3 sides.
renroz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 05:38 PM   #14875
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2018 budget

The current government presented the 2018 budget today. The current government is demissionary, parliamentary elections were held in March 2017 and the 4-party government formation is currently in its final phase. The 2018 budget is basically an extension of the 2017 budget.

The 2018 budget presented today is considered a formality until the next government will be installed, likely next month. If it is not installed until 18 October 2017, incumbent minister Melanie Schultz will be the longest serving minister of infrastructure since World War II, at 7 years and 4 days. The current record-holder is Neelie Kroes who served 7 years and 3 days during the 1980s. Both of them are from the conservative-liberal VVD party, which will be the leading party of the next government as well (Rutte III cabinet). New ministerial posts have not been announced yet. Melanie Schultz will not serve a third term.

The 2018 infrastructure fund has a budget of € 6.2 billion, which is up from € 5.9 billion in 2017. However fluctuations in the range of a few hundred million are commonplace between budget years so they cannot be seen as a trend yet.

The 2018 infrastructure fund is divided as follows:

The next government will very likely make amendments to the budget presented today, so it has not a lot of value. The parliamentary debate about the budget has even been scrapped (this is usually considered the most important political event of the year).

Major budget changes to the infrastructure fund are not expected however. There won't be a radical change of direction and infrastructure & mobility is not considered a top priority at this time. Though it is to be expected that motions will fund some projects currently unfunded.

g.spinoza, EPA001 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #14876
ChrisZwolle
Road user

future projects

The 2018 budget also included four new road projects in the MIRT funding and planning instrument.

MIRT means Meerjarenprogramma Infrastructuur, Ruimte en Transport, which translated to English means something like 'multi-year infrastructure, spatial and transport programme'.

A new MIRT project starts as a feasibility and alternatives study. It usually will not go into formal procedures until 2-3 years and construction within 5-6 years. Due to budgetary reasons, they may even be prioritized lower and thus farther into the future.

The new MIRT studies are;

* CRA = Corridor Rotterdam - Antwerpen (A4 extension)
* A4 The Hague (A4 expansion around The Hague, almost half a billion euros is reserved for it)
* A67 Leenderheide - Zaarderheiken (A67 expansion between Eindhoven and Venlo)
* A67/A73 Zaarderheiken interchange reconstruction

These projects have long been contemplated so aren't really surprising. The CRA / A4 extension project was part of an earlier MIRT study in 2011, which at the time did not lead to any further steps due to the economic crisis.

The A4 The Hague project is basically the next step of the earlier 'Haaglanden' regional mobility study. Which is why this project already has some design and planning work done, with € 453 million reserved for it in the mid-to-late 2020s.

The A67 study is a formality because there has long been talk about the expansion of A67 between Eindhoven and Venlo. This section of motorway has intense truck traffic and lots of crashes.

The Zaarderheiken Interchange reconstruction is just a minor project where they expand the northbound collector lane to two lanes. It's more like an optimization of the existing infrastructure than a full-blown expansion project.

The lack of new projects is - as said - the result of the 2018 budget being an extension of the 2017 budget by the current demissionary cabinet.

g.spinoza, EPA001 liked this post
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #14877
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Does the CRA contemplate a new A4 segment to close the existing gap?
Old September 19th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #14878
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The 2018 budget also included four new road projects in the MIRT funding and planning instrument.

MIRT means Meerjarenprogramma Infrastructuur, Ruimte en Transport, which translated to English means something like 'multi-year infrastructure, spatial and transport programme'.

A new MIRT project starts as a feasibility and alternatives study. It usually will not go into formal procedures until 2-3 years and construction within 5-6 years. Due to budgetary reasons, they may even be prioritized lower and thus farther into the future.

The new MIRT studies are;

* CRA = Corridor Rotterdam - Antwerpen (A4 extension)
* A4 The Hague (A4 expansion around The Hague, almost half a billion euros is reserved for it)
* A67 Leenderheide - Zaarderheiken (A67 expansion between Eindhoven and Venlo)
* A67/A73 Zaarderheiken interchange reconstruction

These projects have long been contemplated so aren't really surprising. The CRA / A4 extension project was part of an earlier MIRT study in 2011, which at the time did not lead to any further steps due to the economic crisis.

The A4 The Hague project is basically the next step of the earlier 'Haaglanden' regional mobility study. Which is why this project already has some design and planning work done, with € 453 million reserved for it in the mid-to-late 2020s.

The A67 study is a formality because there has long been talk about the expansion of A67 between Eindhoven and Venlo. This section of motorway has intense truck traffic and lots of crashes.

The Zaarderheiken Interchange reconstruction is just a minor project where they expand the northbound collector lane to two lanes. It's more like an optimization of the existing infrastructure than a full-blown expansion project.

The lack of new projects is - as said - the result of the 2018 budget being an extension of the 2017 budget by the current demissionary cabinet.
Could "ruimte" mean "open space"?

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #14879
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Could "ruimte" mean "open space"?
Yes, but when used in that government bureaucracy context, it is closer to spatial (management). It involves things like water storage, nature corridors etc.

Penn's Woods liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #14880
jdb.2

Likes (Received): 263

Ruimte literally just means "space". It's used in the same contexts as in English. For example, it could also mean "outer space".
Maybe the Dutch are launching a space program to build a colony on Mars, for when the ice caps will melt. It could be the Delta Plan II program.
jdb.2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands