daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:27 PM   #14981
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

car vs transit

The Netherlands Institute for Transport Policy Analysis (KiM) released the Mobility analysis of 2017 today.

It can be found here: https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/ministe...eitsbeeld-2017

There is a lot of interesting data (over 250 pages).

This graph shows the number of car trips per day (in millions, left) with the travel time difference with transit (OV), grouped by distance.

As you can see there are statistically no car trips where public transport is faster (light blue). The additional travel time with public transport is the least unfavorable on longer distances, however this is a smaller proportion of all trips. The bulk of the car trips have a very large travel time difference with public transport, with the far majority of car trips requiring more than 2 times longer with public transport (indicated in dark blue).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Suburbanist, EPA001, keokiracer, Turf liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:36 PM   #14982
ChrisZwolle
Road user

congestion

This graph shows the growth of traffic delays. From 2008 to 2016, the delays grew by 9%. Without improvement in the road network (green), it would have been +65%. And 2008 was the peak year for traffic congestion.

The improvements;

* new roads: -6%
* additional lanes: -46%
* traffic management: -10%
* increased efficiency programme: -3%

Additional, 'het nieuwe werken' (more flexible working locations, telecommuting) reduced traffic delays by -12%.
Old October 23rd, 2017, 04:41 PM   #14983
ChrisZwolle
Road user

travel motives

Travel motives, by trips and distance:

It's interesting that only 35% of traveled distance is for commuting and business. 51% is social-recreational & other. Shopping accounts for 18.8% of trips but only 8% of distance, because shopping is often nearby.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001, keokiracer liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 10:32 PM   #14984
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 Breda - Utrecht

The expansion of A27 between the Hooipolder interchange (A59) and the Lunetten interchange (A12) is one of the largest and most expensive upcoming road projects. However, the budget for this project has always been tight, with large-scale bridge projects consuming most of the budget, leaving little money for the actual long-distance widening, so the plan calls for mostly shoulder lanes on A27.

However, since the Merwede Bridge at Gorinchem had to be repaired last year, they decided to replace all three major steel bridges on this motorway. This has significantly escalated the design needs for this project, since a draft EIA was already approved. This means the project will be delayed again.

2019: final EIA
2022: start of construction
2027-2029: completion of the south section (Everdingen - Hooipolder)
2028-2030: completion of the north section (Lunetten - Everdingen)

They will tender the project with two large contracts, both having two river crossings, thus significant design and construction complexities.

The Merwede Bridge will get a longer span than originally planned, so it conforms to the 1868 Mannheim Act that regulates shipping on the Rhine River system. It requires at least 240 meters of width. They want to build a single span bridge, the current bridge has a 2 x 170 m span. This will raise the cost of the new bridge by another € 56 million.

Which means the current budget is pushing over € 1.3 billion, with most of that money flowing into the four bridge projects and reconstruction of the rest of A27, even when they will mostly be shoulder lanes. It has been estimated that a full build-out would cost over € 2 billion. To think that as of 2011, the allocated budget was only € 860 million. So the budget has already increased by almost half a billion euros.

Merwede Bridge:

junky, Suburbanist, EPA001, 8166UY liked this post
Old October 23rd, 2017, 11:28 PM   #14985
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Any possibility of underwater tunnels instead of bridges?
Does the new project include a full separation of flows on A59 at Hooipolder?
Old October 24th, 2017, 09:38 AM   #14986
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 792

No and (sadly) no...

Hooipolder will get partial free flow only I believe.

Suburbanist liked this post
da_scotty está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 01:53 PM   #14987
Attus

Likes (Received): 1039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
This graph shows the number of car trips per day (in millions, left) with the travel time difference with transit (OV), grouped by distance.
Not the number of all trips. Many peope take a subway inside Rotterdam or an Intercity train between Amsterdam - Den Haag, because it's faster than driving. And these trips are not to be seen in this graph.
Attus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:07 PM   #14988
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5837

Quote:
However, since the Merwede Bridge at Gorinchem had to be repaired last year, they decided to replace all three major steel bridges on this motorway. This has significantly escalated the design needs for this project, since a draft EIA was already approved. This means the project will be delayed again.

The Merwede Bridge will get a longer span than originally planned, so it conforms to the 1868 Mannheim Act that regulates shipping on the Rhine River system. It requires at least 240 meters of width. They want to build a single span bridge, the current bridge has a 2 x 170 m span. This will raise the cost of the new bridge by another € 56 million.
Since the reporting in some newspaper was erroneous or confusing, the Merwedebrug at Gorinchem will be completely new? The old bridge will be demolished? Some papers stated yesterday that the old bridge would be renovated but I believe that was the old plan which has been replaced by a plan for a completely new bridge?
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

Last edited by EPA001; October 24th, 2017 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Typo
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:15 PM   #14989
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attus View Post
Not the number of all trips. Many peope take a subway inside Rotterdam or an Intercity train between Amsterdam - Den Haag, because it's faster than driving. And these trips are not to be seen in this graph.
Exactly, it shows why it's futile to promote public transport as an 'alternative' for those who are driving. Even the number of trips being less than 50% longer than by car is very small. The bulk of the trips requires at least twice as much time. The potential of public transport as an alternative for driving has been utilized to the max. New lines attract riders but few of them used to drive a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPA001 View Post
Since the reporting is some newspaper was erroneous or confusing, the Merwedebrug at Gorinchem will be completely new? The old bridge will be demolished? Some papers stated yesterday that the old bridge would be renovated but I believe that was the old plan which has been replaced by a plan for a completely new bridge?
Indeed, the old plan was to build a second span and renovate the existing bridge. The new plan is to entirely replace the existing bridge. The original plan had a similar span length (2x170 m) but a different bridge type (concrete). The new plan calls for a single 240+ meter span, but will still require a movable section for oversize ships.

EPA001 liked this post
Old October 24th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #14990
Suburbanist
on the road

There is also self selection, long distance commuters who want to travel by train rent or buy near stations.
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:42 PM   #14991
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2116

Not all trips are regulated by travel time...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 05:44 PM   #14992
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That is true, I have many colleagues who accept the 1+ hour of additional travel time per day, because they travel 80 km to work - for a total cost of € 0 per year, because the employer pays the full cost of the train.
Old October 24th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #14993
Suburbanist
on the road

My employer paid 1st class train tickets between Tilburg and Rotterdam... Retail cost €560/month . However this is taxable expense so they deduct the full cost from taxable income, get VAT compensation and it didn't count toward my taxable income.
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #14994
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2116

Quote:
That is true, I have many colleagues who accept the 1+ hour of additional travel time per day, because they travel 80 km to work - for a total cost of € 0 per year, because the employer pays the full cost of the train.
In Italy it's uncommon to have the employer pay for daily commute of the employees, but i also did my math. 1 year PT costs me 315 €, while 200 days of daily car commute would cost me more than 450 € (and a lot of headaches...)
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2017, 10:34 PM   #14995
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Commuters in the Netherlands usually get a compensation for travel, typically € 0.19 per kilometer, but there is often a monthly cap, this varies by employer. Some employers do not provide any compensation, others, especially in the public sector, pay the entire cost of commuting if it is by train or other form of public transport.

I receive € 10 per month as a compensation for my 3 kilometer bicycle commute.
Old October 25th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #14996
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

I get jack squat no matter which form of transportation I take so I moved 200km to the city where my job is and now I cycle.
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 12:32 PM   #14997
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I get jack squat no matter which form of transportation I take so I moved 200km to the city where my job is and now I cycle.
Don't you work for Zealand provincial government ?
Old October 25th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #14998
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Up until a few years ago.
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:14 PM   #14999
EPA001

Likes (Received): 5837

A very nice "goodbye gift" from the leaving minister of Infrastructure and Environment:

That stupid and inexplainable bottleneck in the A4 naar Leiden will be dealt with. She signed the "start decision document", so no action will taken immediately, but the signs have been set to green.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/nieuws/9287...4-wordt-breder
"Atheism is more than just the knowledge that Gods do not exist, and that religion is either a mistake or a fraud. Atheism is an attitude, a frame of mind that looks at the world objectively, fearlessly, always trying to understand all things as a part of nature" - Carl Sagan

Theijs liked this post

Last edited by EPA001; October 25th, 2017 at 11:43 PM.
EPA001 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:20 PM   #15000
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

And now that you're done, #MelanieForDG-MOVE.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands