daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 4th, 2017, 07:08 PM   #15041
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

The left cariageway is the original single cariageway road, you can see the mature trees on the picture. They simply added the right cariageway and changed the lines.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #15042
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Rotterdamsebaan, The Hague

The cutting head of the tunnel boring machine for the Victory Boogie-Woogie Tunnel in The Hague.

Inhijsen graafwiel by Rotterdamsebaan, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:33 PM   #15043
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen

The below-grade N31 through Harlingen will open to traffic tomorrow morning. It appears that it will open with one lane each way. No more waiting for the drawbridge!

Via: https://twitter.com/ronald_jonge_75/...38109432172544

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 04:17 PM   #15044
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen II

Some more photos of the new N31 in Harlingen.

JDR_2524 Asfalteren by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_2540 Asfalteren by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

JDR_ 0005 by N31 Harlingen, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

junky, Attus, Luki_SL, spartannl, Ices77 and 3 others liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:03 PM   #15045
TM_Germany
Got Fachwerk?

Likes (Received): 435

what's the yellow paint for?

Neotradtional Architecture in Germany

Leipzig in Spring: Historicism at its finest.
TM_Germany no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #15046
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic uses only one carriageway for now, so there is opposing traffic. And it is still a construction zone. The yellow lines accentuate that fact. It's uncommon though.

TM_Germany liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #15047
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6100

There was a long-time rumor that yellow paint supposedly is easier to remove and that's why they use it as temporary lane markings at construction zones. But it's simply because it stands out more. They often use some kind of thermoplast which they can remove with high pressure water.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:46 PM   #15048
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

It looks more like Harlingen, Texas

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:54 PM   #15049
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are several types of road markings;

* thermoplast: most common on high-volume roads. Very visible, drains water, very durable (7-10 years). Also expensive and cannot be removed without damaging the road surface. Not commonly used for temporary configurations.
* tape markings. Common in construction zones. Very reflective, but not very durable, may become loose. Can be removed without damage to road surface.
* drip paint: very reflective, fairly durable, but not commonly used in the Netherlands compared to e.g. Poland.
* paint: various forms exist. Reflectivity not the best. Best suited for low-speed, low volume roads, or temporary lane markings. Often used when the final wearing course is not yet applied. Poor durability (1-2 years at best).

Coccodrillo liked this post
Old November 7th, 2017, 08:58 PM   #15050
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Better do this way instead of how some places do it (permanent marking that then requires black paint over )
Old November 8th, 2017, 03:29 PM   #15051
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A24 Blankenburg Tunnel, Rotterdam

The DBFM contract to construct the A24 and Blankenburg Tunnel west of Rotterdam has been conditionally awarded to a consortium lead by Ballast Nedam on 20 July 2017. The losing consortium led by BAM lodged a complaint about it.

The losing consortium made an offer with a net value of € 536 million, which is considerably lower than the € 577.5 million offer by the winning consortium. However, contracts are not awarded based on price, but on 'best value procurement'. The Ballast Nedam offer had a better construction plan, because they planned to use only two immersed segments. This resulted in a higher score for risk management, and ultimately won them the contract.

Today the judge issued a verdict, dismissing the complaint by BAM. They could go into a further appeal but this is uncommon in the Netherlands. Losing consortia rarely win these cases.

EPA001 liked this post
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #15052
Suburbanist
on the road

The country needs more competition for big infrastructure project instead of the usual 3/4 that dominate the whole thing.
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:50 PM   #15053
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These large complex contracts with a value of € 500 million - € 1 billion usually attract only 3 or 4 competitors.

Only a few large construction companies able to handle the design work for such complex projects and being able to finance them upfront are in the market for such projects.

They are planning to award the A27 expansion into two contracts for that reason. It is seen as too big to handle if it would be a single contract worth € 1 billion+ with 4 complex bridge replacements.

Usually only Dutch construction companies win these large DBFM contracts. The foreign involvement is usually a partner, subcontractor or the finance section of the contract. For example Vinci is involved at the Rijnland Route project near Leiden. But this is an exception.

EPA001, SypsiloN liked this post
Old November 8th, 2017, 08:18 PM   #15054
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A27 at Breda:

Autosnelweg A27, Breda by Etienne M, on Flickr
Old November 8th, 2017, 10:07 PM   #15055
Turf
-

Likes (Received): 52

This Dutch page contains a video with the current situation on the N31 Harlingen.
http://www.lc.nl/friesland/Nieuwe-N3...-22642439.html
Turf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 04:52 PM   #15056
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N366 / N391 Ter Apel

A new interchange is being built at the N366 / N391 roundabout near the town of Ter Apel. It is located right on the border of Groningen and Drenthe provinces.

Via: https://twitter.com/DeRooWegen1932/s...03459663368194
Old November 9th, 2017, 05:20 PM   #15057
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N300 Buitenring Parkstad Limburg

Two new sections of the regional expressway around Heerlen open to traffic soon.

10 November: a 2.4 km section around Brunssum (N276 to N274).
17 November: a 3.0 km section near Kerkrade (Gaiazoo to Avantis roundabout)

junky, Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old November 13th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #15058
Suburbanist
on the road

Police speed traps catch 50% more motorists this summer

Quote:
This summer, 550,000 people were fined for speeding after being caught in a police speed trap – a rise of nearly 50% on 2016, the AD said on Monday.

Much of the police effort focused on notorious parts of the highway network, including the A13 between Rotterdam and The Hague, the A4, A6, A7 and the N302, a provincial road which crosses Flevoland province.

‘We’ve had various problems over the past two years, as well as software issues, but we are now operating at full strength,’ national police force spokesman Egbert-Jan van Hasselt told the AD.

One reason so many people drive too fast is that modern cars are quiet and ‘you hardly notice how fast you are driving,’ Van Hasselt said. ‘It’s very easy to go 10 kph over the speed limit.’
Source
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:39 PM   #15059
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They say how going 10 km/h over the limit can be very dangerous in school zones, streets, etc. And where are they installing all those speed traps? On the motorway, the safest road type there is!

It's just a money grab, they attempt to justify it under the name of 'safety' but I doubt if they really believe in that themselves. The vast majority of speeding tickets are for very small offenses, mostly on motorways.

Kanadzie, EPA001 liked this post
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM   #15060
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N300 Buitenring Parkstad Limburg

This video was taken just prior to opening the new expressway around Brunssum. It's a short section, just over 2 kilometers. This portion is also signed as N300, so that'll be the number for the entire 26 kilometer expressway around Heerlen.

Previously, N300 was only a 5 kilometer road between N281 and Kerkrade, along the German border.

EPA001 liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands