daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 12th, 2017, 11:28 PM   #15101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
If there are too many destinations, they will split it up onto two signs. This is fairly common with roundabouts as only 2 destinations per branch will already fill up the sign. (6 is considered the maximum amount of destinations on any one sign).
This is what I mean, you won't (or should't) see signs like this in the Netherlands:

12 destinations, 7 road numbers;

7 lines of destinations, 4 road numbers;

PC053954 by J GM, on Flickr

Though the Spanish sign is managable. The number of lines with text has to do with the longer placenames in Spanish (not as common in the Netherlands, cue 'but you have Hardinxveld-Giessendam & Tweede Exloërmond!' )
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #15102
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

I'd prefer a complete sign, maybe repeated twice if it's very dense.

I can imagine people reading the second sign and getting confused about the first.

Also, this is confusing in itself:

It looks "second exit for N307, third for Lelystad and Almere". The full/empty arrows system is very logical when you think about it, but not very standardized (I'd think they're closed exits, for example).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

g.spinoza liked this post
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:00 AM   #15103
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, that sign is non-standard, as it is a non-standard oval roundabout with 4 exits (not counting the return direction).

If you put up signs with too many destinations, even if you do that twice, you're distracting drivers from their driving task. This is a well-documented phenomenon. The brain can't process so many destinations during the few seconds the entire sign is readable.
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:47 AM   #15104
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6161

It confuses the hell out of me, anyway. Thank god for GPS. And for never having to go to Flevoland.

g.spinoza liked this post
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:54 AM   #15105
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Imagine how big the sign would need to be if all destinations would be put onto a single sign:

N307 Dronten 03-12-2017-11 by European Roads, on Flickr

N307 Dronten 03-12-2017-14 by European Roads, on Flickr

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 13th, 2017, 11:58 AM   #15106
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6161

I don't care how much stuff Dronten is putting up, I'm still not going there.
Slagathor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 12:13 PM   #15107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They even have a University of Applied Sciences

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

Slagathor liked this post
Old December 13th, 2017, 01:49 PM   #15108
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

LOL

Anyway, the first sign seems a bit disorganized in itself.

All aligned to the left but N307 is to the right; and the whole Almere part is simply not where its arrow points (and not for lack of space).
A badly drawn example:

At least, this way I'd understand where I have to point for N307 AND that there's something else at the next exits.

In fact my biggest complaint is that they put those destinations right in front of the wrong arrow, which is the first thing you'll understand (the full/empty thing will be a second thought).

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.

ChrisZwolle, Slagathor, DarkLoki liked this post

Last edited by Wilhem275; December 13th, 2017 at 01:59 PM.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2017, 02:31 PM   #15109
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I agree with that point, it would've been clearer.
Old December 14th, 2017, 03:49 PM   #15110
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A24 Rotterdam

A € 1 billion contract has been signed today for the construction of A24 in Rotterdam.

The contractor is a consortium consisting of Ballast Nedam (NL), DEME (BE) and Macquarie Capital (AUS). It is a DBFM contract for the design, construction and maintenance of the A24 over a period of 20 years.

A financial close is expected in 2018. It is planned to open the link between 2022 and 2024.

The project consists of the 4 kilometer long A24, which links A15 and A20, including the six lane Blankenburg Tunnel. It also includes the six-laning of nearby sections of A15 and A20. The project will provide a third motorway crossing in the Rotterdam area and in particular relieve A4 Benelux Tunnel which has reached maximum capacity.

EPA001, Luki_SL liked this post
Old December 14th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #15111
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

How has the long-term redistribution of traffic in Rotterdam been following completion of A4 north and south of the metro area years ago?
Old December 16th, 2017, 02:23 PM   #15112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N218 Oostvoorne

A grade-separated interchange opened to traffic on 14 December along N218 near Oostvoorne, on the edge of the Port of Rotterdam. The interchange serves recreational traffic to the beaches. It is right next to the N15/N218 interchange. It was paid for by the Port of Rotterdam and South Holland province. It was previously an uncontrolled intersection (no traffic lights).

Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 19th, 2017, 06:07 PM   #15113
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The two-lane express road of N307 near Dronten will open to traffic on 8 December. I took some photos today.
An overheight vehicle damaged the bridge that carries N307 over the Rendierweg. An assessment will be made tomorrow to see if it can still be used safely. The crane hit 4 pre-tensioned beams.

Old December 19th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #15114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N31 Harlingen

Both carriageways of N31 in Harlingen were put into service today.

Godius, Luki_SL, EPA001, 8166UY, Turf and 2 others liked this post
Old December 20th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #15115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Kampen

The official procedure has started to widen a 4 kilometer section of N50 at Kampen to 2x2 lanes.

This portion of N50 has daily congestion and numerous fatal accidents over the past few years. It carries 30,000 vehicles per day on two lanes.

The expansion is cheap, space has been reserved for expansion, so the cost is estimated at only € 10 million. However, getting that funding was troublesome. Funding for N50 was scrapped during a round of budget cuts in 2013. The national government pays only 50% of the cost, typical for many national road projects in Overijssel province.

A motion passed in parliament yesterday that urged the minister to start construction sooner than the planned 2023. The media reports 2020/2022, though the motion that passed did not contain such wording. It would be difficult to start construction in 2020, as the process has to go through all the steps required by law.

I took some photos in anticipation of this project a few months ago:

N50 Kampen-7 by European Roads, on Flickr

N50 Kampen-3 by European Roads, on Flickr

EPA001, SRC_100 liked this post
Old December 20th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #15116
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Can I ask you a general question? How is it possible that every picture shows roads with impeccable lane markings? Do you use some particular techniques to make them last longer? Here in Italy they last 6 months, and they re-do the markings maybe every 5 years, so they are almost always faded, if not non-existent.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #15117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands uses thermoplast road markings on most roads. They are very durable and last for 7 - 10 years, so about the same time as a maintenance cycle for important roads. Thermoplast also acts like a rumble strip.

I took this close-up photo on N307 at Dronten earlier this month. It has two thick thermoplast lines, green paint in the middle and reflective cat's eyes. This is the standard for single carriageway 100 km/h roads. Most roads don't have the green paint.

N307 Dronten 03-12-2017-8 by European Roads, on Flickr

EdiPires, EPA001, 8166UY liked this post
Old December 21st, 2017, 03:27 PM   #15118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Papendrecht - Sliedrecht

The minister of transportation has signed the draft environmental assessment for the expansion of A15 between Papendrecht (N3) and Sliedrecht today. It will be published on 11 January.

The plan is to expand eastbound A15 with a 3rd lane from Papendrecht to Sliedrecht-East. This replaces the earlier planned extension of the shoulder lane. Westbound A15 will only get an auxiliary lane between Sliedrecht-West and Papendrecht.

It is part of the larger expansion of A15 between Papendrecht and Gorinchem which is still in planning phase but has over € 300 million allocated to it. That expansion will likely not commence until after 2020.

Luki_SL, EPA001 liked this post
Old December 21st, 2017, 11:22 PM   #15119
Ypenhof
Ypenhof

Likes (Received): 593

There is little space for widening the A15 here. I am just wondering why it is not possible to move the entire motorway a bit northwards, next to the railway track.

"Een bouwmeester moet vóór alles artist zijn"
Willem Kromhout Czn. (1864-1940)
Ypenhof no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2017, 11:29 PM   #15120
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's tight, but a six-laning could fit there without significant right-of-way acquisition. Several bridges in Sliedrecht were replaced between 2000 and 2006 and built for a future expansion to six lanes with shoulders.

Eight lanes would be considerably more difficult. I don't think they're planning that.

Relocating A15 to north of the railroad would be possible, but I don't think there is much support in building a new alignment through the open polders, even when it is built close to the railroad. The soil in that area is very bad, which is a reason why the 2000-2006 reconstruction took so long (and went over budget). It would also likely require a tunnel under the Giessen River, similar to the railroad tunnel, which would escalate the cost significantly.

Ypenhof, EPA001 liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands