daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:25 PM   #15141
verfmeer

Likes (Received): 51

It was too high.
verfmeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2018, 04:53 PM   #15142
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Pretty strong winds in the Port of Rotterdam:

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 05:49 PM   #15143
ChrisZwolle
Road user

car sales 2017

Car sales data over 2017 have been released;

414,538 new cars have been registered. This is +8.4% compared to 2016, which was the worst year on record.

Best selling models;

1) Renault Clio (11,780)
2) Volkswagen Golf (11,146)
3) Volkswagen Up! (10,851)
4) Opel Karl (9,907)
5) Kia Picanto (9,625)

As you can see, city cars dominate new car sales. The largest car of the top 5 is only a Volkswagen Golf.

Typically only 35-40% of new car sales are directly by consumers. The rest are business cars, company cars and other lease arrangements. 2017 data has not been released on that yet.

At the same time 1,125,310 used cars were sold by dealerships and garages. Additionally, another 679,710 used cars were sold between consumers without a third party. The total used car sales are 1,805,020.

A total of 2,219,558 cars were sold overall. This means that used cars have a market share of 81%. Among consumers, used car sales have a market share of approximately 93%.

The low level of new car purchases among consumers is a reason why the average age of the fleet is relatively high and new developments like hybrids or electric cars find little acceptance. Non-business ownership of electric vehicles is pretty much at 0%.

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

EPA001 liked this post
Old January 5th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #15144
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N18

The first new segment of N18 opens to traffic in late January or early February, depending on weather. It's a new alignment of 2x1 N18 between Groenlo and Eibergen, featuring one new interchange. They call that interchange 'De Laarberg' which is an industrial area on the north side of Groenlo. It will also serve traffic to Vreden (Germany).

my clinched highways / travel mapping • highway photography @ Flickr and Youtube

MichiH, Suburbanist, EPA001 liked this post
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:12 PM   #15145
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A7 Joure

This viaduct spans A7 on the east side of Joure. As part of the new Joure interchange, A7 is realigned and doesn't fit under this bridge with 130 km/h design standards. So it has to be replaced. A new bridge is being built on the side of the road in segments and will then be moved into its final position, something not uncommon with underpasses, but not so common with overpasses.

59. Oude viaduct Haskerveldweg by dutchroadmovies, on Flickr

66. Segmenten nieuwe viaduct Haskerveldweg by dutchroadmovies, on Flickr

57. Onderzijde nieuwe viaduct Haskerveldweg by dutchroadmovies, on Flickr
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:14 PM   #15146
ChrisZwolle
Road user

BPM

New cars in the Netherlands are taxed according to CO2 emissions. This tax - called the BPM - is very complex and the tax rate goes up exponentially. A 20% higher CO2 emission does not necessarily mean a 20% higher tax rate, but perhaps a 50% higher tax rate, resulting in some powerful cars being extremely expensive compared to neighboring countries.

For example, a Ford Mustang V8 has a pre-tax value of € 39,000. Taxes included, the price goes up dramatically to € 126,000. Of course your average car won't be that bad, but it still has substantial influence on the price.

Now that they have used more realistic CO2 emission calculations, the WLTP instead of the older NEDC cycle, the official CO2 emissions are higher than before. Even though parliament said that the new cycle should not result in the same car becoming more expensive, that is exactly what happened. The Telegraaf newspaper showed that some cars are now substantially higher priced than in 2017.

Old January 8th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #15147
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Taxing only on CO2 emissions seems a bit distorted, because it gives an advantage to diesel engines. Which is the last thing we need in Europe...

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:33 PM   #15148
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No, there is a different tax rate for diesel cars. Diesel cars are taxed higher than petrol cars with a similar CO2 emission.

The share of diesel cars is only 16.2% in the Netherlands:

Wilhem275, EPA001, Shenkey liked this post
Old January 8th, 2018, 08:57 PM   #15149
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

That's a relief

In general, it was about time to get rid of NEDC. WLTP works much better.

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:09 PM   #15150
DK97

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post

That is just absolutely ridiculous, paying almost 16.000 euros more for a car that already costs 80.000+ euros!

For example, a BMW X5 xDrive30d costs in Germany 68.000, vs almost 96.000 in the Netherlands. Insane...
DK97 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:16 PM   #15151
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

It's hard to believe nobody is politically fighting this insanity...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2018, 11:22 PM   #15152
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

I think taxes should be conditional on weight and emissions (not only of CO2). The tax on weight should be exponential to the power of 3 (meaning car B twice the weight of car A pay 8 times more tax), to reflect the much severe damage done by trucks on pavement compared to passenger cars.

Slagathor, EPA001, Shenkey liked this post
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:41 AM   #15153
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

I agree. I'm also in favor of taxing pollution in general. I don't understand why cars should be taxed as heavily as they are when diesel-powered ocean-going freight ships are basically unregulated and kerosene is tax-free. It makes no sense.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:06 PM   #15154
verfmeer

You'd be happy if ocean ships travel on diesel. Since there are no international regulations, most ships use bunker oil, the cheapest and most polluting fuel in the world.

g.spinoza, Slagathor, EPA001, Shenkey liked this post
Old January 9th, 2018, 12:14 PM   #15155
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
Taxing only on CO2 emissions seems a bit distorted, because it gives an advantage to diesel engines. Which is the last thing we need in Europe...
Direct injection petrol engines emit the same level of particulate (and in many cases more) of diesel engines... Euro 6 prescriptions state that diesel engines must not emit more than 600 billion particles per km, while the same Euro 6 on petrol engines sets the limit at 6,000 billion, 10 times more. This is an unmotivated bias favoring petrol engines.

Please let's stop this witch hunt on diesel cars which is based on basically nothing.
Old January 9th, 2018, 01:39 PM   #15156
bartek76
GUKPPiW

Likes (Received): 13814

Does this increase in car taxes apply to cars already registered or only to new registrations? (like it is in UK)
bartek76 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:08 PM   #15157
verfmeer

It is a tax only paid when the car is first registrated, so it only applies to new cars and imports.
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:13 PM   #15158
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by verfmeer View Post
It is a tax only paid when the car is first registrated, so it only applies to new cars and imports.
So just buy one in Germany and ride with German plates.
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #15159
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Direct injection petrol engines emit the same level of particulate (and in many cases more) of diesel engines... Euro 6 prescriptions state that diesel engines must not emit more than 600 billion particles per km, while the same Euro 6 on petrol engines sets the limit at 6,000 billion, 10 times more. This is an unmotivated bias favoring petrol engines.

Please let's stop this witch hunt on diesel cars which is based on basically nothing.
Traffic contribution to PM levels is fairly limited, as PM levels are largely due to background concentration. However traffic contribution for NO2 levels is considerably higher and this is almost entirely attributed to diesel engines.

PM levels are also lower overall, NO2 levels spike around major highways while PM levels are only slightly elevated along major highways. So reducing NO2 emissions from vehicles has more effect on air quality than reducing PM10 / 2.5 emissions.

This is a printscreen of the monitoring programme in the Netherlands. It shows the results on a point along A4, one of the busiest motorways in the Netherlands with almost 200,000 vehicles per day. As you can see, NO2 levels are considerably higher than PM10 levels, both have a limit of 40 µg/mł.

EPA001 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2018, 05:45 PM   #15160
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
PM levels are also lower overall, NO2 levels spike around major highways while PM levels are only slightly elevated along major highways. So reducing NO2 emissions from vehicles has more effect on air quality than reducing PM10 / 2.5 emissions.
That's true, but at least in Italy, diesel bans are entirely driven by PM readings. I don't know how it's done in NL.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands