daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2018, 05:56 PM   #15161
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
That's true, but at least in Italy, diesel bans are entirely driven by PM readings. I don't know how it's done in NL.
During poor air quality episodes, PM levels generally spike while NO2 levels stay more or less the same. PM levels are influenced by weather patterns (inversion) whereas NO2 levels are mostly due to vehicle exhaust, which is fairly uniform across the year.

You can see that in the printscreen that I posted, while PM10 levels are only 19 g/m on average, there are 7 days per year where they exceed the 40 g/m limit. NO2 levels do not follow this pattern.

Bad air quality episodes are often combated with traffic restrictions, but this is pointless because traffic is not the source of the temporary elevated levels of PM and doesn't really contribute that much to PM levels overall. So banning license plate ranges or reducing speed limits on motorways during poor air quality is entirely symbolic. You can see in Paris for example, that during traffic restrictions, NO2 levels go down (less diesel traffic) while PM remains more or less the same, only declining after a weather pattern shift.

EPA001 liked this post
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:48 PM   #15162
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Traffic contribution to PM levels is fairly limited, as PM levels are largely due to background concentration.
You can only get rid of PM emmission from transportation if you ban cars at all because tyres and brakes also produce a lot of PM - even e vehicles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
However traffic contribution for NO2 levels is considerably higher and this is almost entirely attributed to diesel engines.
True for "old" diesel engines but not true for modern diesel engines of the latest version.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 06:56 PM   #15163
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Overall NOx emissions have gone down significantly, resulting in far fewer places where the 40 g/m limits are exceeded, but traffic is still the main contributor of elevated NO2 levels, and that is still mostly attributed to diesel engines.

Most locations with air quality being only slightly better than the 40 g/m limit in the Netherlands are due to NO2 concentrations, not PM10. As you can see in that printscreen, the PM10 levels along A4 are only 19 g/m, significantly below both the EU and WHO recommended limit, despite the 200,000 vehicles per day there.

EPA001 liked this post
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:26 PM   #15164
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Quote:
So just buy one in Germany and ride with German plates.
You must register you car with the Dutch road authority if you become an official resident of the Netherlands, and that must be done in a relatively short period (I'm not sure exactly how long, it is a matter or months).

Since everything (incluidng working contracts, bank accounts etC) is tied up with your BSN and GBA, there is no real way to keep driving a foreign-plated car for long that is registered to your name.
Old January 9th, 2018, 07:38 PM   #15165
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
You must register you car with the Dutch road authority if you become an official resident of the Netherlands, and that must be done in a relatively short period (I'm not sure exactly how long, it is a matter or months).

Since everything (incluidng working contracts, bank accounts etC) is tied up with your BSN and GBA, there is no real way to keep driving a foreign-plated car for long that is registered to your name.
I know, I know, I was just being provocative.

But is it enforced? I mean, an Italian friend of mine had his Italian registered car in Germany for 6 or 7 years, and he was never checked.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 08:26 PM   #15166
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

Quote:
I know, I know, I was just being provocative.

But is it enforced? I mean, an Italian friend of mine had his Italian registered car in Germany for 6 or 7 years, and he was never checked.

In the Netherlands they can reinforce quite easily, e.g. when you register for a parking license. By Dutch law, you are as Dutch citizens required to drive a car with Dutch license plates. For border regions special rules and plates apply.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:37 PM   #15167
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theijs View Post
In the Netherlands they can reinforce quite easily, e.g. when you register for a parking license. By Dutch law, you are as Dutch citizens required to drive a car with Dutch license plates. For border regions special rules and plates apply.
What happens if you are an EU citizen with non Dutch nationality driving your car from your country? (German citizen, living in the Netherlands and driving a car with a German licence plate?
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 10:41 PM   #15168
MichiH

Likes (Received): 2082

Your residence counts! For instance, I read than Hungarians had to pay a fine in Germany because they lived in Germany but the car was still registered in Hungary.

Edit: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...s/index_en.htm

Quote:
Wherever you live in the EU, you must register your car in the country where you have your permanent residence.

Which new motorways are currently under construction?
Which new motorways will be opened next?

See 'New motorway projects' thread

** Please help completing and updating of the list **

Been/driven: A, AND, B, CDN, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, EST, F, FIN, FL, GB, H, I, L, LV, LT, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, USA (My cumulative travel mapping)
MichiH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2018, 11:15 PM   #15169
Theijs

Likes (Received): 133

[NL] The Netherlands | road infrastructure autosnelwegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiH View Post
Your residence counts!
As the simple rule is: you pay road tax in the country you live.
Theijs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:46 AM   #15170
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

People who keep cars registered in other countries do so under the name of somebody else. They can run into trouble if they ever have an insurance event. Furthermore, they cannot apply to parking permits, which are needed in many places where paying parking by the hour is prohibitively expensive in the long run. Dutch insurers will not sell insurance for cars registered in other countries and regularly used in the Netherlands, and I doubt insurers anywhere would do that.
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #15171
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You don't need a parking permit in the vast majority of residential areas.

A block from my house there is a dude with Belgian plates for years. Evidently he gets away with it.
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:36 AM   #15172
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

None of this explains the insane amount of Eastern European plates I see in very densely populated parts of The Hague with parking permits and prohibitively expensive paid parking. I don't know what's going on there, but legal it is not.

I always assumed the car is registered to grandma in Poland. But you guys are saying that if you do that, you can't get a parking permit? I seriously doubt that. Because these people are parking in neighborhoods where you either need a permit or a million dollars.

EPA001 liked this post
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #15173
vespafrederic

Likes (Received): 17

I think the key is that cars are regisztered for somebody who lives in a different country. There is also a possibility that the car is leased also.
vespafrederic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:01 AM   #15174
Shenkey

Likes (Received): 2101

Quote:
I think taxes should be conditional on weight and emissions (not only of CO2). The tax on weight should be exponential to the power of 3 (meaning car B twice the weight of car A pay 8 times more tax), to reflect the much severe damage done by trucks on pavement compared to passenger cars.
They should also count the passengers.
Shenkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2018, 02:26 AM   #15175
Kanadzie

Likes (Received): 748

Quote:
People who keep cars registered in other countries do so under the name of somebody else. They can run into trouble if they ever have an insurance event. Furthermore, they cannot apply to parking permits, which are needed in many places where paying parking by the hour is prohibitively expensive in the long run. Dutch insurers will not sell insurance for cars registered in other countries and regularly used in the Netherlands, and I doubt insurers anywhere would do that.
In Canada cars are registered provincially, and if you move, you're supposed to register based on your residence.

But I've never had a car insurer ask me anything about registration. Only "what date did you buy the car", but never anything even the plate number
Old January 11th, 2018, 03:32 PM   #15176
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N18 Groenlo - Eibergen

The signage for the new N18 between Groenlo and Eibergen. This section will open to traffic within 3-4 weeks.

N18 will get exit numbers.

EPA001, MichiH, SRC_100 liked this post
Old January 11th, 2018, 05:27 PM   #15177
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rotterdam 1968

Aerial photos of Rotterdam interchanges in 1968.

1. The end of A4 at Pernis. This is where the Benelux interchange was built a few years later. No sign of A15 on this photo. You can also see the Pernis refinery and the Benelux Tunnel.

2. Kleinpolderplein, where A13 and A20 would later meet with flyovers. You can see that A13 was already a six lane motorway at that time.

3. The A16 Rotterdam-Prins Alexander exit. This is where the Terbregseplein interchange would be constructed a few years later. No sign of A20 in this photo.

4. The Kethelplein interchange (A4/A20). The extension to the lower left (north) wasn't completed until 2015, almost 48 years after this photo was taken.
Old January 12th, 2018, 01:56 PM   #15178
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
None of this explains the insane amount of Eastern European plates I see in very densely populated parts of The Hague with parking permits and prohibitively expensive paid parking. I don't know what's going on there, but legal it is not.

I always assumed the car is registered to grandma in Poland. But you guys are saying that if you do that, you can't get a parking permit? I seriously doubt that. Because these people are parking in neighborhoods where you either need a permit or a million dollars.
They just spend the on the parking what they save on the road taxes.

Maybe there are some constructions going on with car registered on legal entities? I did not look into it, but it could be possible to drive a car registered on a e.g. Polish company? Maybe another rules apply then.

Secondly, if it would be just The Hague, then maybe diplomats are busy bees...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 02:05 PM   #15179
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Diplomats get their own Dutch plates, they start with the two letters CD for Corps Diplomatique.

There's an old joke in The Hague that you can always jaywalk, except when there's a car with a CD license plate approaching because they could run you down and then claim diplomatic immunity.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2018, 08:03 PM   #15180
ChrisZwolle
Road user

According to the government's website, you can actually own a car with foreign plates in the Netherlands, as long as you pay taxes. Evidently you do not need to re-register it with Dutch plates.

https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwe...enteken-hebben

Slagathor, Surel, EPA001 liked this post

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands