daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 27th, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1861
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I must be said that the amount and the length of jams increased horribly in the last few years. Especially on the A27 near Lexmond, for example.

Sponsored Links
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1862
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElviS77 View Post
On the other hand: I worked with a Canadian from Toronto who wasn't at all impressed by Dutch "rush hours"...
The difference is Toronto has 5.5 million inhabitants, while our largest metropolitan area has barely over 1 million people.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:43 AM   #1863
Timon91
Error

We can call the Randstad a metropolitan area, the towns are growing much more into each other, but agreed, it's not from 'one city'.
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #1864
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You can't really compare the Randstad to Greater Toronto, urbanwise.
Old November 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM   #1865
Timon91
Error

Greater Toronto is probably more widespread, while the Randstad consists of very densely populated towns, but with widespread agricultural land in between. But still, it's all close together, so it's kind of metropolitan area
Old November 28th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #1866
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The Netherlands doesn't have very densely populated towns, European speaking. They're denser than US cities, but nothing compared to major European cities like Paris or Madrid.
Old November 28th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #1867
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
You can't really compare the Randstad to Greater Toronto, urbanwise.
I know. And there's obviously a serious jam problem in the Randstad. My point was merely that everything depends on what you're used to, and afaik, many Dutch motorways have amazingly high AADT figures. It's also the only country in which I've been rather pleased I was going straight through certain junctions - having to figure out the proper lane for a left turn on 3+3+3+3 stretches in heavy, 110 kph traffic, makes me somewhat anxious, even though I'm a pretty experienced motorway driver...
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #1868
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The difference is Toronto has 5.5 million inhabitants, while our largest metropolitan area has barely over 1 million people.
The city of Amsterdam and surrounding cities are advertising themselves as the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area of more than 2 million people, which is twice (1,5x more if you add water) as dense as the Greater Toronto Area. The definition of a metropolitan area is vague, but if you say the Randstad is a metropolitan area we are getting an area very similar in seize (in population and area) as the Greater Toronto Area.

The Greater Toronto Area isn't impressive in density (780/km2), our most populus provinces have higher densities. The big difference between the Randstad is the urban area of Toronto. The urban area of Toronto has 4,753,120 (according to wiki) on 1,749 km², which would make 2718/km2. This is almost as dense as the city of Rotterdam. The city and the urban area of Toronto are the big difference with the Randstad, not the metropolitan area/conurbation.

Last edited by Wuppeltje; November 29th, 2008 at 02:44 AM.
Wuppeltje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #1869
ChrisZwolle
Road user

New style signs in my city; Zwolle, Overijssel.

[img]http://i36.************/1444h2v.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i37.************/4hpksk.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i36.************/1z5sqhj.jpg[/img]
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #1870
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Font is definitely too small
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM   #1871
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's the standard-issue font size. I never noticed any problems with it. I must admit I'm not sure the motorway fonts are the same as the non-motorway fonts, since overheads on non-motorways are pretty rare (but not so much anymore lately), so maybe it looks small because the sign is so big
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:29 PM   #1872
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Maybe it's because of large signs ase you're saying.

BTW Is the Zwolle ring divided into four parts: noord, zuid, oost and west, or these signs show just directions?
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #1873
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

I like "RING". Our signs, pointing to our ring, are green and say "AC obroč/ring" (AC=avtocestni=motorway (adjective)), with the motorway sign beside it (even when it points to the expressway part of it, but eventually you can get on the motorway part anyway). Sorry for OT.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 10:35 PM   #1874
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLH View Post
Maybe it's because of large signs ase you're saying.

BTW Is the Zwolle ring divided into four parts: noord, zuid, oost and west, or these signs show just directions?
The ringroad is indeed divided into the four cardinal directions you just said. Although, there's no ring west. So the ring East does not travel eastbound, but is along the eastern side of the city.
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #1875
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Time for some videos again

A15 motorway Nijmegen - Geldermalsen

A drive on the westbound A15 motorway, from interchange Valburg near Nijmegen to interchange Deil near Geldermalsen, a distance of 40 kilometers.

A2 motorway Geldermalsen - Utrecht

A drive on the northbound A2 motorway, from Interchange Deil to Interchange Oudenrijn, a distance of 27 kilometers. The A2 is one of the most congested motorways of the Netherlands with individual traffic jams often exceeding 30 kilometers in length. Most of the A2 is now under reconstruction, and generally 2 lanes per direction are added to cope with the major delays of earlier projects. Along this section, the A2 is being widened from 2x2 to 2x4 lanes, including the reconstruction of Interchange Everdingen.

Old November 29th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #1876
Timon91
Error

Nice video's Chris

I like our new signs though I can't wait until they install them around here. The area around Arnhem seems to have a lot of these new signs. Does anyone (read: Chris ) know how many % has been replaced by now?
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:46 PM   #1877
ChrisZwolle
Road user

They only replace specific locations for now, and some others with damaged signs. It could take years before everything has been replaced.
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1878
Timon91
Error

Well, I guess that the new motorways (not so many, unfortunately) will get new signs?
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #1879
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are no motorways U/C at the moment in the Netherlands. Maybe some reconstructed ones (A2 perhaps?)
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:53 PM   #1880
Timon91
Error

Sorry about that, but yes, the A2 is what I was referring to.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands