daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM   #1881
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Why new signs? I mean, I like them, but there a bit German. But why? Aren't the current ones ok anymore?

Sponsored Links
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #1882
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

They chose for the arrows up (instead of down) for a psychological reason. It would make people drive a little faster. About the rest I don't know much. And yes, they look a bit German, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:05 PM   #1883
SeanT
DK/H

Likes (Received): 63

...signs, is there a directive how these signs have to look like (color, design...)or it is up to every country?
I´m talking about motorways /expressways here.
SeanT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #1884
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchrisij View Post
Why new signs? I mean, I like them, but there a bit German. But why? Aren't the current ones ok anymore?
With the arrows pointing up, the dividing of lanes is better shown, as well as the situation ahead.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #1885
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
What do you guys think of our new signage?

[IMG]http://i25.************/juh9hs.png[/IMG]
Is the signing manual online?
J N Winkler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 05:06 PM   #1886
ChrisZwolle
Road user

http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/themas...ing/index.aspx

There's a PDF to the right, I thought I got the image above out of that PDF
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #1887
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/themas...ing/index.aspx

There's a PDF to the right, I thought I got the image above out of that PDF
Thanks for this. This is actually a brochure explaining the main changes, rather than the manual (richtlijnen) itself. I have looked on Wegenforum.nl and the CROW website, and I suspect CROW will sell the motorway signing guidelines but does not yet have it available through its shop. CROW does sell the signing guidelines for non-motorway roads, but at a cost of €104 excluding shipping, which has driven Dutch road enthusiasts to rely on the consultation draft published in 2004.

I hope that at some point in the future, these guidelines will be placed on the Web where they can be downloaded free of charge.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM   #1888
ChrisZwolle
Road user

CROW guides are usually quite expensive. Even small manuals are over € 30. I have them all at work though
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #1889
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Is it possible to obtain the engineering drawings for road improvement projects online? In Spain, Denmark, Sweden, a couple of Canadian provinces, and about 20 US states it is, but I haven't had much luck finding this information for the Netherlands.
Old November 30th, 2008, 06:38 PM   #1890
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No, they generally do not have these drawings online. It's more for public information, such as road closures, number of lanes and some technical information like the amount of asphalt etc, but not drawings or something like that.

Though, sometimes you'll find stuff like this

(I don't know about the source of this drawing)
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:03 PM   #1891
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
These are quite stupid questions. Even if I were a Nazi or a criminal, I wouldn't say it. They really ask lots of questions that are about nothing. There must be some need to do that
Many of the things that are asked about on the I-94W form (the I-94 is a separate form, for nationalities which require a visa for US entry) are not illegal per se. For instance, the question about "immoral purposes" is essentially asking you if you are coming into the US to engage in prostitution, which is illegal in most states but is permitted in Nevada. There is also, as far as I know, no law punishing you for being a member of the Nazi party.

However, it is part of US government policy to expedite the removal of undesirables (prostitutes, former Nazis, etc.) from the US. If you are classified as an undesirable but do not declare this on the form and are subsequently found out, you can be prosecuted for making a false writing and deported.

(Re. former Nazis, there have been exceptions--Wernher von Braun was eventually naturalized as a US citizen.)
Old November 30th, 2008, 09:47 PM   #1892
Timon91
Error

But I guess that they will ask more difficult questions if you say you're a nazi. They don't trust you anyway. When I had my luggage and I was on my way to the customs I was picked out again for more or less the same check. When they saw I was Dutch they called a guy with a drugs dog (he was wandering around in the luggage hall) for an extensive drugs check The biased view that people have of our policy is quite bad. The American policy doesn't work, the Dutch one does.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:28 PM   #1893
J N Winkler
Road enthusiast

Quote:
But I guess that they will ask more difficult questions if you say you're a Nazi.
I think the I-94W form has, or has had in the past, a clause to the effect that if the answer to any of the questions is Yes, you should go to the visa section of the US embassy in your country of residence before you attempt to enter the US.

But in actuality I think anyone in a position to say Yes truthfully to those questions will simply lie on the form rather than go through the hassle of a visa application which will almost certainly be rejected. In turn, a false declaration on the I-94W form gives Immigration a pretext to get involved if such a person comes to the attention of law enforcement in the US.

Quote:
When I had my luggage and I was on my way to the customs I was picked out again for more or less the same check. When they saw I was Dutch they called a guy with a drugs dog (he was wandering around in the luggage hall) for an extensive drugs check The biased view that people have of our policy is quite bad. The American policy doesn't work, the Dutch one does.
Some American states have a system similar to the I-94W questions in regard to drugs. Illegal drugs like marijuana, heroin, and cocaine are taxed at the state level in many states--you can buy tax stamps for these drugs in Kansas, for example. Because possession is illegal, it is not actually expected that any drug dealer will buy stamps for his drugs. (These stamps are generally purchased only by collectors!) But if the drug dealer is caught, and the evidence is not good enough to convict him in criminal court, he can still be pursued for unpaid taxes because the standard of proof in tax proceedings (balance of probabilities) is lower than in criminal cases (reasonable doubt).

Anyway--my apologies for going off-topic.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1894
Timon91
Error

The form says that you might be refused entry if you answered "yes" at any question, and they advise you to go to the ambassy beforehand.

But indeed, we're getting OT. Were there actually any problems today with the snowy weather?
Old December 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1895
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

Quote:
When I had my luggage and I was on my way to the customs I was picked out again for more or less the same check. When they saw I was Dutch they called a guy with a drugs dog (he was wandering around in the luggage hall) for an extensive drugs check
It's the same as (for example) someone from the Balkans or Eastern Europe (or Africa, if you wish) coming to a border crossing. He'll be checked for sure, even though very few Balkanites or Eastern Europeans are actually criminals (or doing sth else wrong).

Nice videos.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2008, 06:11 PM   #1896
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Video: A27 Utrecht - Almere

A drive on the northbound A27 motorway, from interchange Lunetten to Interchange Almere, a distance of 43 kilometers. The drive passes by the city of Utrecht, the most important road hub in the Netherlands, and Hilversum, the media capital of the Netherlands. The video ends near Almere, with 200,000 inhabitants, the largest suburb in the Netherlands.

Old December 1st, 2008, 07:15 PM   #1897
Timon91
Error

Yeah, Almere is a 'suburb' of Amsterdam (though it's the sixth or seventh city of the country). Almere is also one of the major reasons why the A1 has become way too small.
Old December 1st, 2008, 11:07 PM   #1898
railway stick
Bas

And here we are on the A10 Motorway, Amsterdam-West. (on a Saturday afternoon):

railway stick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 12:16 AM   #1899
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4752

What's that car you were overtaking all the time? And I like windmills. Many people don't like them, b/c they are "ruining" the nature, but to me it's even more beautiful with them.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2008, 09:28 AM   #1900
Timon91
Error

People often complain about windmills because they ruin the sight and can make a weird, low noise, which according to them causes headaches. We just have too much NIMBY's to be able to run our country on wind energy for a big part

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands