daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:06 AM   #2021
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

If Spain would throw in a bid, England might start to swett, if not, they will get it easely...

Sponsored Links
Old July 2nd, 2007, 02:57 AM   #2022
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
If Spain would throw in a bid, England might start to swett, if not, they will get it easely...
But Spain has hosted it more recently then England, so its England's turn.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:37 AM   #2023
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
But Spain has hosted it more recently then England, so its England's turn.
Germany have had it twice since England last hosted...

That said, I still believe the most likely European host would be England.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:27 PM   #2024
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Germany have had it twice since England last hosted...

That said, I still believe the most likely European host would be England.
The fact that West Germany hosted it in 74 and a united Germany in 06 had alot to do with that I'd guess.

I wouldnt be supprized if the Spainish went for euro 2016 and bartered a mutual support agreement with the FA.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM   #2025
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I wouldnt be supprized if the Spainish went for euro 2016 and bartered a mutual support agreement with the FA.
I'd settle for that.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #2026
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

I've added the two new Liverpool stadiums to the first page in the England bid:

Can people please post pics of propsoed stadia that I can add to page one! Especially China, as there are plenty of new stadia that are not featured at all.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM   #2027
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

For Spain you can remove Gipuzkoarena, it won't be built.

But you can add the New San Mames in Bilbao, Cap is 56'000.

There are also plans for the expansion of Estadio Manuel Ruiz de Lopera in Sevilla, the cap is also going to be increased but I don't know any numbers.

The stadium of Sevilla FC is also going to be expanded to 50'000 or 60'000, but there are already two potential cities with 2 stadiums so I guess it won't be used anyways.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2028
BeestonLad
PQS

Likes (Received): 550

Gherkin007 you could also update the st james park one and put in that photoshopped pic going around as it will be 60,000 by then
BeestonLad no está en línea  
Old July 26th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #2029
docker
A 'Refined Bogan'

Likes (Received): 1616

perth stadium (perth, australia) either 60,000 or 70,000 depending on the expansion. hopefully completed by 2012, depending on how quick the government acts.

A video of my month long travel in the GMT Zones +8 and +9: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESV_t0Z12EE
docker no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 12:07 AM   #2030
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Done and done. Thanks guys! I'm looking for that St. James's Park pic now.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #2031
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Here are some more stadiums in England that might get put in the 2018 bid. Please add to the 1st page if you want I have no idea how to do that.

Birmingham, expanded Villa Park 51,000 by 2012 for Olympics.

(Its the stand on the left that has changed)

What Villa Park currrently looks like:

Portsmouth, New Stadium 36,000 (hopefully add 4000 extra seats for W.C) built by 2011, costs £600m but this includes redeveloping area and stadium

Nottingham, Nottingham Forest new stadium 40,000-50,000 built by 2014 cost £40m-£45m

Kobo no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2032
CarlosBlueDragon
CarlosRedDragon

Likes (Received): 678

wow.... England, Australia and Spain many new stadium!! I very jealous!! I hope i want Belgium/The Netherlands for vote!!
CarlosBlueDragon no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #2033
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosBlueDragon View Post
wow.... England, Australia and Spain many new stadium!! I very jealous!! I hope i want Belgium/The Netherlands for vote!!
Thanks for your support, but it will be hard for us to compete against Spain, England...

I might have explained this before, but what the h*ll.

The Belgian Euro 2000 Tournament Manager, Alain Courtois, is a fierce supporter of a joint Belgian/Dutch World Cup bid for 2018. He now has the support of the Dutch national team manager Marco Van Basten and Dutch prime minister Balkenende. A World Cup 2018 Office recently opened in Antwerp, a Belgian city very popular among Dutch shoppers and tourists. Unfortunately, Blatter doesn't want another joint bid after Japan and South Korea, although you can't compare that to the situation of Belgium and The Netherlands.

There is still a very long way to go:

We need 8 to 10 stadiums. 2 with a 60,000+ capacity.
Feyenoord Rotterdam will build a new Kuip (75.000)
Ajax might expand their Arena to 60,000
Anderlecht (Brussels) wants to move to a new 50,000-60,000 seater by 2013
Bruges has plans for a new stadium with 40,000 seats by 2011
Standard (Liège) will build a new stadium (40,000) by 2012
The city of Antwerp is brainstorming about a common stadium for both arch rivals Antwerp FC and Germinal Beerschot (an idea that goes back more than 15 years already)
And finally, some Dutch clubs like Groningen and Twente also have plans for major expansions.

The most concrete plans for a stadium suited to host a World Cup are to be found in Bruges:

Chimaera no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #2034
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post

Where did you find those images? They are all new to me! I don't expect Villa Park to be used if the City of Birmingham Stadium goes ahead. I'd like more set-in-stone information about the Nottingham Forest ground too before I include it... and there has been no information that suggests the Portsmouth ground to ever expand to over 40,000 so I won't include that one yet. Sorry! Feel free to argue.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #2035
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Where did you find those images? They are all new to me! I don't expect Villa Park to be used if the City of Birmingham Stadium goes ahead. I'd like more set-in-stone information about the Nottingham Forest ground too before I include it... and there has been no information that suggests the Portsmouth ground to ever expand to over 40,000 so I won't include that one yet. Sorry! Feel free to argue.
I havent kept up on recently devolpments that often but last I heard the City of Birmingham Stadium seemed to be dead in the water.

4,000 seats(although I'd guess very slightly less than 40K capacity would not be a massive problem) in a new Portsmouth stadium could probabley be achieved without a major redesign. If it was built then it seems an obvious choice given the lack of alternatives in that part of the country.

As we saw in Germany were a perfectly good brand new 50K seat stadium was left unused in the west in favour of a much smaller/old one with a track in the east having a good geographical spread is important.

London - Wembley & Emirates
North West - Old Trafford & New Anfield
North East - St James Park & Stadium of Light
Midlands - Villa Park & New Nottingham Stadium
South West - Portsmouth & New Bristol Stadium

Add in another couple of new/redevolped stadiums from Ipswich, Norwich, Leeds or Sheffield plus maybe the Millenium Stadium(espeically if Bristol can't come up with a 40k ground) and I think you've got close to what the FA's ideal bid would be.
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:33 AM   #2036
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
I havent kept up on recently devolpments that often but last I heard the City of Birmingham Stadium seemed to be dead in the water.

4,000 seats(although I'd guess very slightly less than 40K capacity would not be a massive problem) in a new Portsmouth stadium could probabley be achieved without a major redesign. If it was built then it seems an obvious choice given the lack of alternatives in that part of the country.

As we saw in Germany were a perfectly good brand new 50K seat stadium was left unused in the west in favour of a much smaller/old one with a track in the east having a good geographical spread is important.

London - Wembley & Emirates
North West - Old Trafford & New Anfield
North East - St James Park & Stadium of Light
Midlands - Villa Park & New Nottingham Stadium
South West - Portsmouth & New Bristol Stadium

Add in another couple of new/redevolped stadiums from Ipswich, Norwich, Leeds or Sheffield plus maybe the Millenium Stadium(espeically if Bristol can't come up with a 40k ground) and I think you've got close to what the FA's ideal bid would be.
How many times??!!!

its in wales!!
Old July 28th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #2037
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
How many times??!!!

its in wales!!
It is in a rather unique position though as Wales is politically part of the UK and the stadium itself is now strongly associated from english football. You'd probabley have both westminster and the welsh assembley pushing for it to be used aslong as it didnt represent a handicap to the bid due to the economic benefits it would bring.
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:16 AM   #2038
Gherkin
actual gherkin

I'd expect the Welsh to welcome the Millennium stadium being used in the English bid! It would be a great boost for hotels/shops in Cardiff, and it's not like it's a long journey from England anyway... at about an hour from Bristol. Still, I really can't see politicians or FIFA sharing the same view though.

For the record, I'm pretty biased as the Millennium Stadium is an easy train journey from me. I would prefer to watch a match at the Millennium Stadium to any stadium in Birmingham at the tournament, purely due to ease of travel on my behalf. I haven't included it in the english bid because 1) it isn't in England and 2) FIFA are unlikely to allow it.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2007, 02:19 AM   #2039
Benjuk

Quote:
It is in a rather unique position though as Wales is politically part of the UK and the stadium itself is now strongly associated from english football. You'd probabley have both westminster and the welsh assembley pushing for it to be used aslong as it didnt represent a handicap to the bid due to the economic benefits it would bring.
Nope. It's part of the Welsh F.A., and the Welsh F.A. is very definately a separate entity so far as FIFA is concerned (much to FIFA & UEFA's consternation). Millenium Stadium would NOT be used.

I'm still convinced that Pompey's design has been announced with the specific intent of 'forcing' the authorities to chip in the additional funds in order to expand the design to world cup status...

FA: Why not make it 40k and we can include it in a World Cup bid?
Pompey: We only need 35k for our supporters.
FA: Oh, go on...
Pompey: Well, we'd do it but it'll cost us an extra 20 million and we can't afford that...
FA: How about if the Government and the FA chip in 10 million each..?
Pompey: Oh, okay then, if it'll help the world cup bid (ha ha ha, thanks for the free upgrade!)
FA:

Last edited by Benjuk; July 28th, 2007 at 02:36 AM.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2007, 03:39 AM   #2040
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Hi Gherkin007, With Villa Park, its going to be part of the football tournament with other UK grounds for the 2012 Olympics. It will be expanded for this and I would have thought it would then go from a Uefa 4 star stadium, to a Uefa 5 star stadium, because its over the 50,000 capacity. I personaly prefer Villa Park to the new Birmingham stadium as it has more history and conforms to the traditional British ground, having 4 different sides.

I also like MoreOrLess, have not heard anything further about the City of Birmingham Stadium. Which might suggest that its not going to happen. However I have read that Birmingham really wants to host the World Championships in Athletics. This could happen in 2015 at the earliest, (doubtful though because of 2012 Olympics) but this would mean a new large athletics stadium for the tournament, with possibly Birmigham City F.C moving into it after. Now this could still be the same design or a new one I don't know. However I know the original design could change shape for football, concerts and cricket.

With Forests new proposed stadium all I know is from a couple of articles I have read. That Forest want it to be the East Midlands Super Stadium. With initially being 40,000 capacity but rising to 50,000, but it being designed with the 2018 World Cup in mind. Here is the article where I first read about it:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_...106867,00.html

With Portsmouths, well it looks amazing, it's set in the city centre by the coast, and it would be a massive shame they couldn't raise it by a few thousand seats for the minimum capacity. It beats the hell out of St Mary's stadium and would be a wonderful addition for our World Cup stadium portfolio.
Kobo no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup