daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2141
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Regarding the 'retractable' grounds - Sydney and Perth are two, which is the other? Are we thinking of the new stadium for Adelaide?

I've also suggested before that Perth should be the city with two venues (possibly one in Fremantle if they can convince FIFA that it's a different city), in order to cut down on travel - with two venues they could base a group in WA meaning supporters of England, for example, wouldn't have to jump on a plane to get over to (for example) Brisbane for their next game, etc.

An interesting aside about Melbourne - when the Bracks government finally rubber stamped the new rectangular stadium for Olympic Park, they confirmed that the foundations of the stadium would be set for a capacity of 50k in case of a world cup bid... This suggests to me that they don't expect to be able to use either Telstra Dome (which will be owned by the AFL by 2018) or the MCG (which is under contract to the AFL throughout the regular season, and has fiercely defended it's contractual rights during finals over the last few years).
The 3rd retractable would be in Adelaide...I can see only a Perth style stadium for Adelaide as it can be the only solution..AAMI looks bad enough now and by 2018/2022 Im sure South Australians would demand a better venue.

As for the MCG,as I said before the AFL do not control this ground..and past history(Olympic Games,Commonwealth Games,construction of Southern and Northern stands) that the AFL has to accomodate whatever situation the MCG is in....The only contract the MCG has with the AFL is with Finals/Grand Final and a certain amount of games per year....thats it...and Im not even sure if those contracts go up until 2018...except the GF.
If the MCG wasnt used..then the Victorian Gov would automatically hand over ALL the major world Cup games to Sydney including the Final without any fight....Can you really see that happening????
ExSydney no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM   #2142
isaidso
the new republic

Likes (Received): 10780

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbakke View Post
A world cup in Canada would draw fine, would be well organized, and is a possibility down the road. The problem is the stadiums in Canada are not in good shape, and would require a massive overhaul and new construction to host a World Cup. You'd need a new Toronto stadium to host the final, probably a new one in Vancouver as well (or a major upgrade of BC Place), and Ottawa and Hamilton's stadiums should probably both be demolished and rebuilt. I think the US will get it again before Canada does, but I think Canada will eventually get the World Cup, although maybe not until 2038.
Agreed. Canada's only significant drawback is stadia. Montreal Olympic Stadium and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton are the only 60,000 + stadiums in Canada that are suitable for soccer. The Skydome in Toronto is large enough (at 54,000 capacity), but doesn't meet FIFA specifications. BC Place in Vancouver (at 60,000 capacity) needs renovations. All the other stadia in Canada are too small (below 40,000 capacity) or too old. The soccer specific stadium built this year in Toronto is much too small. A new stadium in Toronto to host finals would probably be tied to a Summer Olympics bid.

If Canada is serious about hosting the World Cup, at least 2 new stadiums need to be built, while at least 4 others need upgrades. You are right. The USA will get the World Cup again unless Canada spends some money.
isaidso no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:22 AM   #2143
dwbakke

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Agreed. Canada's only significant drawback is stadia. Montreal Olympic Stadium and Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton are the only 60,000 + stadiums in Canada that are suitable for soccer. The Skydome in Toronto is large enough (at 54,000 capacity), but doesn't meet FIFA specifications. BC Place in Vancouver (at 60,000 capacity) needs renovations. All the other stadia in Canada are too small (below 40,000 capacity) or too old. The soccer specific stadium built this year in Toronto is much too small. A new stadium in Toronto to host finals would probably be tied to a Summer Olympics bid.

If Canada is serious about hosting the World Cup, at least 2 new stadiums need to be built, while at least 4 others need upgrades. You are right. The USA will get the World Cup again unless Canada spends some money.
Skydome is out anyway because it'd be during baseball season. And It hink more than 2 new ones. There would have to be a new Toronto stadium, plus new ones in Halifax and Quebec, probably new ones or complete renovations in Ottawa and Hamilton, a renovation of BC Place, Winnipeg's stadium being built, and renovation in Calgary. That would get you to 10 stadiums (Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec, Halifax), but that's a lot of stadium work to do, and a lot of money.
dwbakke no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 03:40 PM   #2144
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
You make it sound like the AFL has full control over the stadiums they use...I can tell you....they dont....If the MCG want to bid for the FIFA World Cup venue...they will...Anyway..apart from the MCG and maybe the new Stadium WA..I cant think of any AFL venues that would be used.

simply put..the AFL have ZERO influence whether Australia hosts a WC.
Im not even slightly eluding to the stadiums. But anyways.... You have the MCG, new Perth stadium and dont forget about Suncorp... The NRL arent going to let you use it without a fight.

Australia's most important sport has no influence??? You gotta be shitting me right. The AFL is a billion dollar business. It will effect Australia hosting a WC because it will effect its bid. Do you think FIFA will just ignore the AFL and its needs??? Of course not. As i said, if the AFL wants to be stubborn, it will.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:09 PM   #2145
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Im not even slightly eluding to the stadiums. But anyways.... You have the MCG, new Perth stadium and dont forget about Suncorp... The NRL arent going to let you use it without a fight.

Australia's most important sport has no influence??? You gotta be shitting me right. The AFL is a billion dollar business. It will effect Australia hosting a WC because it will effect its bid. Do you think FIFA will just ignore the AFL and its needs??? Of course not. As i said, if the AFL wants to be stubborn, it will.
The crucial thing is that the AFL has little to gain and much to lose from the World Cup being played in Australia - so, like Juddy says, they (and their media buddies) will do whatever they can to stop it happening.

The MCG may be independent, but they have close links with the AFL - yes, they pushed the Commonwealth Games ahead of AFL, but that's a one time deal that's not going to effect the AFL by acting as a massive publicity boost for a rival code; the same goes for rugby at Suncorp. If 'soccer' wins, then it's rugby and AFL that lose out... No problem so far as I'm concerned - both codes can die in the dust and leave 'real' football to dominate here as it does everywhere else that is civilized - that's right America, that's what I said

I'd love it to come down here, but I can't see it happening unless the A-League really takes off. Expansion needed, 16 teams doing well, get their own stadia, self sufficient, no need for AFL/cricket stadia... But that's probably about 20 years away!!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM   #2146
emreprlk
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC View Post
I agree. I would not want a joint bid with Turkey.

Also, Greece hosted one of the best Olympic Games in history. Security, planning, venue location, etc., was superb. As a sporting event the Olympics are even bigger in scale than the World Cup so we know Greece can handle this type of tournament logistically speaking.

That being said, the World Cup requires many "true" footyball stadiums of which Greece currently does not possess. Let's be realistic because that is the case as we speak.

However, with new stadiums on the horizon for AEK Athens and Panathinaikos and the expansion of Olympiakos' Karaiskaki stadium if Greece was awarded the tournament, Greece would be able to host the games by 2020 if it built one or two other stadiums for the tournament.

We would have teh following stadia to choose from:

OAKA (Olympic Stadium)
Karaiskaki (would be expanded with an additional tier)
AEK Athens
Panathinakos
New Stadium #1
New Stadium #2
Toumba in Thessaloniki if expaned
PanCretan in Iraklio, Crete if expanded.
hehe very comic. u say greece hosted best olympics. i only laugh this. nearly u couldnt completed sport event. all over the world helped to you to complete stadiums. i think best olympic held in sydney. they were perfect.
emreprlk no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:45 PM   #2147
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I concur.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old August 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #2148
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

"rugby" will have no influence at all. Rugby league might.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #2149
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Of course.

But, I repeat: FIFA and the IOC are two entirely separate organisations and the World Cup and the Olympic Games are two entirely different events. Each organisation may know what the other is doing. They may well consult. But they will not - absolutely not - make their decisions on which country will host the World Cup or which city will host the Olympic Games on the basis of what the other organisation has decided.

Countries like the USA, Italy and Germany have all hosted the Olympics, the Winter Olympics and the World Cup in recent years - in the case of the US, on more than one occasion. The latter two have also hosted the European Championship. France has hosted the World Cup, the winter Olympics and the European Championship.

Japan hosted the winter Olympics in 1998 and the World Cup in 2002. Mexico hosted the Olympics in 1968 and the World Cup only two years later. They then hosted the World Cup again in 1986. Germany hosted the Olympics in 1972 and the World Cup only two years later. The USA hosted the World Cup in 1994 and the Olympics only two years later. Spain hosted the World Cup in 1982 and the Olympics in 1992. South Korea hosted the Olympics in 1988 and the World Cup in 2002.

You're saying that all these countries can but now England can't? Complete and utter nonsense!

P.S. I'm well aware that some football matches during the 2012 Olympics will be played outside London. For some reason, that's what the IOC wanted. But honestly, you're being pedantic in the extreme. Those football matches will constitute about 0.00001% of the overall sporting events of the 2012 Olympics. I repeat: the Olympics is an event that is awarded to a City, not a country.
Anyone know what the reason is? London would be able to host an Olympic Tournament in real style (without having to even use Wembley/Emirates) - Whitehart Lane, Upton Park, Stamford Bridge, The Valley, Loftus Road, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #2150
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

FIFA won't allow joint bids. That was the last that was heard from the president of FIFA. But a bid would be great!
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:25 AM   #2151
GreenwichSE10
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I would like England to host 2018..but a Greek/Turkish WC would be great as well
GreenwichSE10 no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #2152
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreprlk View Post
hehe very comic. u say greece hosted best olympics. i only laugh this. nearly u couldnt completed sport event. all over the world helped to you to complete stadiums. i think best olympic held in sydney. they were perfect.
I think best Olympic held in Istanbul.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #2153
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos] View Post
I think best Olympic held in Istanbul.
it will....
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #2154
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkas View Post
it will....
Oh really? When?
Need to win the bid first.
How many attempts...
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #2155
Jünyus Brütüs
Awesome User

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos] View Post
Oh really? When?
Need to win the bid first.
How many attempts...
probably after 2020... btw for me "good Olympics" is meaning just opening and closing shows. i watch only them
Jünyus Brütüs no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2156
REDPEZZAH

Greece/Turkey will never get WC, if it comes to europe England and Spain have to be hot favourites!
REDPEZZAH no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #2157
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FANATIC View Post

We would have teh following stadia to choose from:

OAKA (Olympic Stadium)
Karaiskaki (would be expanded with an additional tier)
AEK Athens
Panathinakos
New Stadium #1
New Stadium #2
Toumba in Thessaloniki if expaned
PanCretan in Iraklio, Crete if expanded.
four stadiums in Athens?

Greece and/or Turkey would do extremely well hosting a EURO or something, but it's clear who the favourites would be for 2018 in Europe, Spain and England. They both have the infastructure, the stadiums, and the money. Any other European bid would be IMO futile.
matherto no está en línea  
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #2158
REDPEZZAH

England for 2018 without a doubt!
REDPEZZAH no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:36 AM   #2159
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Do you think FIFA will just ignore the AFL and its needs??? Of course not. As i said, if the AFL wants to be stubborn, it will.
You have to be kidding.....
You really think FIFA have thoughts about the AFL and their needs if Australia bid for a World Cup????

I have got news for you....FIFA dont give a rats about the AFL and thats even if they knew who the AFL are!

Fact:
If Australia wish to bid they must
-Hold the WC in June/July
-Have access to at least 8 of the best stadiums in the country.
-plus many other requirements too many to list

If Australia dont meet the requirements...then..we dont bid..Simple as that..and FIFA award it to a country that wants it.

This bid would have to be driven by the state governments in conjuction with the FFA..If WA,SA or Vic get pressured by the AFL,then the government would have to tell the AFL to go jump..They dont own the stadiums and most of them are controlled through the state or their events are highly subsidized by the government.(except SA,I believe)

Lets take the MCG for example..Lets say the AFL convinced the MCG to back down and Victoria used the Olympic Park venue instead..Im sure that would go down well here in Victoria..Sydney would automatically be granted the best games and Victoria would get Jamacia vs Ivory Coast...

It wont happen and the Vic government would make sure it wont.

Could you imagine Australia hostimg the World Cup and at the same time the AFL were playing their home/away games..There would be absolutley no interest in the AFL and the Media would be satuated by the World Cup...Why do you think the AFL and NRL move their season for the 2000 Olympics?

As I said...the AFL have ZERO influence to Australia bidding for a World Cup.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #2160
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreprlk View Post
i think best olympic held in sydney. they were perfect.
Yes, that opening ceremony with the stuck mechanical flame - priceless.
Reaper-strain no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup