daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #2161
JPBrazil

Likes (Received): 37

I think Turkey deserve to host the WC alone
JPBrazil no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #2162
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2717

ITs just an old topic
There won't be a GRE/TUR bid for EURO xy or WC xy

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old August 5th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #2163
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

I still tend to believe that the AFL could, with their media and political influence, derail an Aussie bid.

As you've said, any Aussie bid will have to match the standards FIFA expects - and possibly would have to go further because of the distances involved in coming south as well as around the world. Things would have to be near perfect - and those influential in the AFL would do everything in their power to protect their vested interest. They don't control the venues - but they do have an influence over them in terms of long term business...

Say the MCG kicks AFL out for two months, and the AFL plays it's Victorian games at Telstra Dome, shifts others out to the Gold Coast, Tasmania, Canberra, etc., and it works... The AFL could screw the MCG over future deals on the grounds that they no longer 'need' the G.

It's all hypothetical though, the bid will fall apart based on the lack of quality venues away from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne... At best, reality suggests 40k venues will be present in Perth and Adelaide. That still leaves Australia short of 2 venues (at least, as we don't know what FIFA will want by 2018/2022). Will there ever be a need for a 40k rectangular venue in Newcastle, on the Gold Coast, Townsville, Geelong, Hobart, etc? Is there any point in investing in huge venues that will rarely be used post world cup?

I hope I'm wrong. I hope the A-League grows and by 2015 we've got a dozen clubs that need big stadia PRIOR to any major bid.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2007, 04:20 AM   #2164
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

The 82,000 seater Twickenham stadium in London looks gorgeous in this picture. It's such a shame it would never be included in the English bid:

Gherkin no está en línea  
Old August 6th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #2165
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
You have to be kidding.....
You really think FIFA have thoughts about the AFL and their needs if Australia bid for a World Cup????

I have got news for you....FIFA dont give a rats about the AFL and thats even if they knew who the AFL are!
WTF are you on about?? Do i know who the AFL are?? Pffffffffffff. Do you?
And iv got news to you. The AFL dont give a rats arse about FIFA. They are easily the most popular sport in Australia and are continuing to grow big time.

Quote:
Fact:
If Australia wish to bid they must
-Hold the WC in June/July
-Have access to at least 8 of the best stadiums in the country.
-plus many other requirements too many to list

If Australia dont meet the requirements...then..we dont bid..Simple as that..and FIFA award it to a country that wants it.
Iv said over and over again that our bid does not stack up.
1. AFL wont '**** up' 1 whole season (no way in hell AFL will be played in Summer) to accomodate its rival code.
2. Who the hell wants to come to Australia in winter?
3. We just dont have those stadiums without AFL/NRL support. Perths not getting one unless the WAFC (so essentially Aussie Rules Footy) commit to it.
4. All the other factors.

Quote:
This bid would have to be driven by the state governments in conjuction with the FFA..If WA,SA or Vic get pressured by the AFL,then the government would have to tell the AFL to go jump..They dont own the stadiums and most of them are controlled through the state or their events are highly subsidized by the government.(except SA,I believe)
So what the state governments are going to build stadiums for 6 weeks work are they??? Why do you think Perth arent getting anything at the moment???

Quote:
Lets take the MCG for example..Lets say the AFL convinced the MCG to back down and Victoria used the Olympic Park venue instead..Im sure that would go down well here in Victoria..Sydney would automatically be granted the best games and Victoria would get Jamacia vs Ivory Coast...
And all those Collingwood supporters are just going to say, 'go ahead mate, just take the stadium no worries'. And thats just 1 set of supporters.

Quote:
It wont happen and the Vic government would make sure it wont.
And what about the Vic People?? They are AFL mad remember.

Quote:
Could you imagine Australia hostimg the World Cup and at the same time the AFL were playing their home/away games..There would be absolutley no interest in the AFL and the Media would be satuated by the World Cup...Why do you think the AFL and NRL move their season for the 2000 Olympics?
That just wont happen. Thats just like saying... can you imagine the media attention in America if the WC was played during the NFL/ College Football season.

Quote:
As I said...the AFL have ZERO influence to Australia bidding for a World Cup.
Ok so fast forward to 2013 (or whatever year the 22 WC bids are), do you think Australia can bid for the WC? Just keep in note that Perth has no stadium. Adelaides is shit. MCG is an oval paradise. Suncorp's not free either.
Old August 6th, 2007, 06:51 PM   #2166
emreprlk
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos] View Post
I think best Olympic held in Istanbul.
Everybody know that why ioc let olympics held in Athens. ioc took a decision due to first olympics held in Athens. otherwise u wait until forever. your shitty city doesnt rated for olympics.
emreprlk no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #2167
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Judging by the infantile way that Greeks and Turks behave, FIFA or UEFA would be insane to ever award a tournament to either country...

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 12:17 AM   #2168
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
The 82,000 seater Twickenham stadium in London looks gorgeous in this picture. It's such a shame it would never be included in the English bid:

Yeah it is a shame
Old August 7th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #2169
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by emreprlk View Post
Everybody know that why ioc let olympics held in Athens. ioc took a decision due to first olympics held in Athens. otherwise u wait until forever. your shitty city doesnt rated for olympics.
Maybe because Athens has no ghettos.
Its hard to win Olympics when your city has a lot of poverty.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old August 7th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2170
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Yup, like Beijing or Moscow or Mexico City. Unthinkable that any of these could ever host Games.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2007, 04:25 AM   #2171
kinggeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto View Post
four stadiums in Athens?

Greece and/or Turkey would do extremely well hosting a EURO or something, but it's clear who the favourites would be for 2018 in Europe, Spain and England. They both have the infastructure, the stadiums, and the money. Any other European bid would be IMO futile.
welll karaiskaki is not in athens but piraeus soo therefore that should qualify as a different city
kinggeorge no está en línea  
Old August 8th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #2172
emreprlk
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos] View Post
Maybe because Athens has no ghettos.
Its hard to win Olympics when your city has a lot of poverty.
maybe our city has a ghettos but your all city like a ghettoss.
emreprlk no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #2173
Arsenal Village MRU

maybe the Sith and the Jedi will merge into one and become friends
Arsenal Village MRU no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #2174
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
WTF are you on about?? Do i know who the AFL are?? Pffffffffffff. Do you?
And iv got news to you. The AFL dont give a rats arse about FIFA. They are easily the most popular sport in Australia and are continuing to grow big time.

Iv said over and over again that our bid does not stack up.
1. AFL wont '**** up' 1 whole season (no way in hell AFL will be played in Summer) to accomodate its rival code.
2. Who the hell wants to come to Australia in winter?
3. We just dont have those stadiums without AFL/NRL support. Perths not getting one unless the WAFC (so essentially Aussie Rules Footy) commit to it.
4. All the other factors.

So what the state governments are going to build stadiums for 6 weeks work are they??? Why do you think Perth arent getting anything at the moment???

And all those Collingwood supporters are just going to say, 'go ahead mate, just take the stadium no worries'. And thats just 1 set of supporters.

And what about the Vic People?? They are AFL mad remember.

That just wont happen. Thats just like saying... can you imagine the media attention in America if the WC was played during the NFL/ College Football season.

Ok so fast forward to 2013 (or whatever year the 22 WC bids are), do you think Australia can bid for the WC? Just keep in note that Perth has no stadium. Adelaides is shit. MCG is an oval paradise. Suncorp's not free either.
The AFL wont waste a season,they would just have to have a 1 month break....they just have to get over it...Simple as that....Sure they can probably continue playing,but nobody would give a crap,especially half the Australian population in the Northern states that dont give a crap anyway about the game.Saying that,transport,logistics would be all focused on world Cup visitors.

As for Perth,If they dont want to build a decent stadium and/or host a World Cup game..Fine..We bid without Perth...NSW,Qld,Vic and SA state premiers have all mentioned one way or another that they want their state involved with any World Cup bid in a big way,with even fighting between NSW and Vic on who hosts the final.

As for Winter in Australia...umm..it is a winter sport and played generally in much colder and worse conditions every year round that Australia can ever muster.
Winter time in Australia is not even an issue and never has been an issue for FIFA.

As I said....I still cannot see how the AFL can derail a World Cup bid..What they going to say ..."Dont play in "our" stadiums!!!!...or we.....umm...we never play their again.....yeh right....no AFL at the MCG ......It wont happen.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #2175
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Yeah it is a shame
no it´s not! gives the Netherlands a better chance!
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2176
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2747

2018 not in England?

FIFA’s Jack Warner not too excited about England’s 2018 World Cup Bid

On Thursday the president of Concacaf made it clear in no uncertain terms that he doesn’t want the 2018 World Cup to be held in England.
“If the World Cup were to go to Europe, I’m quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won’t get it,” Warner told BBC World Service.

“There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that.”

Warner, a member of the world football body’s executive committee since 1983, added: “It will be Italy, Spain, or even France who will get the World Cup if it goes to Europe.

“Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never made any impact on world football.”

Don't worry, England, Blatter wasn't excited about Germany 2006:-)

Last edited by GEwinnen; August 9th, 2007 at 10:05 PM.
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #2177
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
The AFL wont waste a season,they would just have to have a 1 month break....n.

One month break will be not enough.
The german clubs had to hand out the stadiums to the Fifa 4 weeks before the World Cup .
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:06 PM   #2178
Latino177

U Forget some other Stadiums In mexico like 5 more Maybe mexico could be the 2018 Wrold cup
Latino177 no está en línea  
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:09 PM   #2179
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino177 View Post
U Forget some other Stadiums In mexico like 5 more Maybe mexico could be the 2018 Wrold cup
two World Cups in a row in America? No, it will be 2018 in Europe, no doubts about this!
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #2180
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
One month break will be not enough.
The german clubs had to hand out the stadiums to the Fifa 4 weeks before the World Cup .
I meant the AFL had to break for 1 month.I understand that WC venues need 2 months,but the AFL could still play at other venues for 1 month.
ExSydney no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup