daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #2181
Zorba
Stadium Fan

Likes (Received): 2

Don't worry about too many Athens stadiums. The only ones in the running for the bid will be the Olympic Stadium(OAKA) and Panathinaikos' new stadium which will seat over 40,000 people. Karaiskaki cannot be expanded and has a capacity of only 33,000 and AEK probably is not going to have a stadium in the forseable future.

The other cities that could host games are:
Thessaloniki
Irakleio (Crete)
Patras
Volos/Larissa

Which bring a total of 6 stadiums(2 in Athens). This is not enough, unless maybe a smaller Greek city like Kalamata or Ioannina. But these cities seriously lack the infastructure to host a World Cup match...
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #2182
guigotz

2014 = BRAZIL

2014 WILL BE IN BRAZILLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the panamerican games realized In Rio de Janeiro was PERFECT!

And the olympic games 2016 will be in BUENOS AIRES!!! CHICAGO gonna loose
4 olympic games in 22 years.... lake placid.. salt lake.. los angeles..atlanta

ITS TIME TO SOUTH AMERICAAAAAAA!! It will be greattt

GO AHEAD BRAZILLLLLLLLLLLL!!! EH NOIS CARAIOOOOOOOO !!!

QUE VENHA A COPAAAAAAAAA!!!!

VIDEOSSS ... THE STADIUMS of 2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KxpTVH3i3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG5XQ...elated&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smHEO...elated&search= ( MINEIRÃO STADIUM )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6tre...elated&search= ( BEIRA RIO STADIUM )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe31k...elated&search= ( THE FIRST STADIUM WAS CONSTRUCTED ) = RIO DE JANeiRO!

PROUD TO BE BRAZILIAN !!!

Last edited by guigotz; August 10th, 2007 at 03:32 AM.
guigotz no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #2183
NeilF
Reasons To Be Cheerful

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEwinnen View Post
FIFA’s Jack Warner not too excited about England’s 2018 World Cup Bid.
I read this in the paper this morning and I was pretty disgusted at these comments. I am not English but for someone in such a lofty position to come out and, essentially, speak what he, personally, thinks in such a crude way is deeply worrying. It seems this guy, perhaps understandably (just a bit of neighbourly, gaelic joshing here, no serious anti-Saxon sentiment going on), just plain doesn't like England.

To suggest that a world cup be held in Italy (1990), Spain (1982) or France (1998) over England (1966) based on what is, seemingly, his own perspective of England's impact on the sport (what does this even mean?), is mental. I don't think many, even those within FIFA, will be taking these comments seriously and I doubt it would have any impact, at all, on any decision taken. Sadly, it appears to be the inane ravings of someone with his own agenda.

It's not even the suggestion that England deserves another world cup, but more that, given recent developments and planned new builds and renovations England will be in a much better position to host a world cup than its European neighbours.

I wonder how the FA would react if Old Trafford was expanded to hold 96,000, however? I can't see them not having the final at Wembley yet 6,000 extra fans could watch the game at Old Trafford.
Old August 10th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #2184
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilF View Post
I read this in the paper this morning and I was pretty disgusted at these comments. I am not English but for someone in such a lofty position to come out and, essentially, speak what he, personally, thinks in such a crude way is deeply worrying. It seems this guy, perhaps understandably (just a bit of neighbourly, gaelic joshing here, no serious anti-Saxon sentiment going on), just plain doesn't like England.

To suggest that a world cup be held in Italy (1990), Spain (1982) or France (1998) over England (1966) based on what is, seemingly, his own perspective of England's impact on the sport (what does this even mean?), is mental. I don't think many, even those within FIFA, will be taking these comments seriously and I doubt it would have any impact, at all, on any decision taken. Sadly, it appears to be the inane ravings of someone with his own agenda.

It's not even the suggestion that England deserves another world cup, but more that, given recent developments and planned new builds and renovations England will be in a much better position to host a world cup than its European neighbours.

I wonder how the FA would react if Old Trafford was expanded to hold 96,000, however? I can't see them not having the final at Wembley yet 6,000 extra fans could watch the game at Old Trafford.
Well he is the head of CONCACAF and they would be likely to get the 2018 WC is rotation is kept in place. If the arguements he came up with in that interview are the best he's got I doubt they'll have much of an impact. Isnt this the same Jack Warner who got caught selling 5,000 WC tickets to touts?
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2007, 04:36 PM   #2185
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

I just saw this thread but I want to ask. Don't Turks and Greeks HATE each other?

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #2186
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
Well he is the head of CONCACAF and they would be likely to get the 2018 WC is rotation is kept in place. If the arguements he came up with in that interview are the best he's got I doubt they'll have much of an impact. Isnt this the same Jack Warner who got caught selling 5,000 WC tickets to touts?
Yep, the very same man who made a $1m profit from selling world cup tickets - and was then fined $1m by FIFA but not sacked or banned from getting tickets in the future - AND has yet to pay back the majority of the money.

Warner has a major problem with the UK due to comments that were made about the above (and other swindles) on BBC's Panorama, and also comments made by one of the UK's representatives at FIFA.

I look forward to Trinidad & Tobago's bid..

Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #2187
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never made any impact on world football.
That's what the prez of CONCACAF said? Hardly believable! What CONCACAF association has had the slightest bit of "impact" on World Football???
VERY unprofessional, doesn't really help them...

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea  
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #2188
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExSydney View Post
The AFL wont waste a season,they would just have to have a 1 month break....they just have to get over it...Simple as that....Sure they can probably continue playing,but nobody would give a crap,especially half the Australian population in the Northern states that dont give a crap anyway about the game.Saying that,transport,logistics would be all focused on world Cup visitors.
Ummm... The AFL are quite clearly the biggest sport in Australia. Can you imagine how big the AFL will be in 2022??? Just picture that. So when you say nobody will give a crap.... This is Australia. People just dont stop watching AFL overnight. You go on about the logistics and transport but what makes you so sure people are even coming for the WC? What makes you so sure the WC is even going to be awarded to Australia? FIFA sees the AFL as a negative in awarding the WC to Australia. Why give it to a place where there are 2 other comps on when you can hand it to somewhere that will have nothing on? Read: China. There is no way in hell the WC will be played whilst the AFL and NRL are on.

Quote:
As for Perth,If they dont want to build a decent stadium and/or host a World Cup game..Fine..We bid without Perth...NSW,Qld,Vic and SA state premiers have all mentioned one way or another that they want their state involved with any World Cup bid in a big way,with even fighting between NSW and Vic on who hosts the final.
We bid without Perth??? Would you say the same if the MCG fell over tomorrow and the Vic government failed to delivery something new? If you have a bid without Perth, then New Zealand might as well place a bid.

Quote:
As for Winter in Australia...umm..it is a winter sport and played generally in much colder and worse conditions every year round that Australia can ever muster.
Winter time in Australia is not even an issue and never has been an issue for FIFA.
Yes. But June is generally a Summer month. The WC in Germany was in Summer. In 02, it was played in favourable conditions. Now why would tourists go down under to freeze their balls when they can stay home and enjoy their summer? Im talking about fans here, not FIFA.

Quote:
As I said....I still cannot see how the AFL can derail a World Cup bid..What they going to say ..."Dont play in "our" stadiums!!!!...or we.....umm...we never play their again.....yeh right....no AFL at the MCG ......It wont happen.
Oh My. The AFL is a Billion dollar business. The AFL are not going to lay over and if push comes to shove, the AFL will. In some ways, the AFL are FIFA's competition, so what makes you think that FIFA will simply ignore them?
Old August 10th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #2189
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
I meant the AFL had to break for 1 month.I understand that WC venues need 2 months,but the AFL could still play at other venues for 1 month.
Ummm... So your going to have a Collingwood v Essendon game at Telstra Dome? Not quite, try again.

Also Telstra Dome's surface is shit enough with 2/3 games a week. How the hell is it going to stand up to 4 games a week. Thats assuming the AFL doesnt expand.

Wheres the Brisbane Broncos going to play?

Im sure the West Coast Eagles wont mind playing at friggen Leederville Oval either. Just like the juniors.... When a goal is scored, tonk your horn!! All 50,000 of youse.
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #2190
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Ummm... The AFL are quite clearly the biggest sport in Australia. Can you imagine how big the AFL will be in 2022??? Just picture that. So when you say nobody will give a crap.... This is Australia. People just dont stop watching AFL overnight. You go on about the logistics and transport but what makes you so sure people are even coming for the WC? What makes you so sure the WC is even going to be awarded to Australia? FIFA sees the AFL as a negative in awarding the WC to Australia. Why give it to a place where there are 2 other comps on when you can hand it to somewhere that will have nothing on? Read: China. There is no way in hell the WC will be played whilst the AFL and NRL are on.

We bid without Perth??? Would you say the same if the MCG fell over tomorrow and the Vic government failed to delivery something new? If you have a bid without Perth, then New Zealand might as well place a bid.

Yes. But June is generally a Summer month. The WC in Germany was in Summer. In 02, it was played in favourable conditions. Now why would tourists go down under to freeze their balls when they can stay home and enjoy their summer? Im talking about fans here, not FIFA.

Oh My. The AFL is a Billion dollar business. The AFL are not going to lay over and if push comes to shove, the AFL will. In some ways, the AFL are FIFA's competition, so what makes you think that FIFA will simply ignore them?

Australia puts in a bid..If the bid is good enough for FIFA,FIFA says yes..If it aint good enough..FIFA says No....Simple as that.

The Australian Football League(AFL) has absolutley ZERO bearing whether FIFA says yes or no...You have this illusion that Sepp Blatter will ring up Andrew Demetriou and ask for permission to play in this country.
And to answer your question ..YES..FIFA will completley ignore the AFL and they have no reason to even be aware of them.

and if Victoria dont bid..then the bid falls over..The Victorian government have been talking about bidding for a World Cup for around 10 years now and I see no reason for them not to want to be a part.

You still go on about "winter"..It aint an issue mate!..People will still come..Real fans will come and our winters arent even that cold anyway.If it was an issue,the South America would never host a WC and the 2010 World Cup in South Africa would not happen....
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #2191
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Ummm... So your going to have a Collingwood v Essendon game at Telstra Dome? Not quite, try again.

Also Telstra Dome's surface is shit enough with 2/3 games a week. How the hell is it going to stand up to 4 games a week. Thats assuming the AFL doesnt expand.

Im sure the West Coast Eagles wont mind playing at friggen Leederville Oval either. Just like the juniors.... When a goal is scored, tonk your horn!! All 50,000 of youse.
You have a short memory...
The first 4 rounds of the 2006 season has no MCG.

As for Collingwood vs Essendon...ANZAC Day is in April....

And for the Brisbane Broncos...they played at ANZ Stadium for 10 years until they moved to Suncorp a few years ago...Im sure a few weeks back at ANZ wont hurt them...Crap..they can even play at the GABBA!

And for the West Coast Eagles.....who cares.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:05 AM   #2192
MikeTheGreek
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkas View Post
it will....
Giving the Games to China an unfree and undemocratic state was a fiasco.Giving the Games to an unfree millitary junta would be another fiasco.
MikeTheGreek no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #2193
Klausenburg

Likes (Received): 3652

It would be a great ideea to host WC in Geece/Turkey...but I think it's only a utopia...
Klausenburg no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM   #2194
Benjuk

Quote:
Australia puts in a bid..If the bid is good enough for FIFA,FIFA says yes..If it aint good enough..FIFA says No....Simple as that.

The Australian Football League(AFL) has absolutley ZERO bearing whether FIFA says yes or no...You have this illusion that Sepp Blatter will ring up Andrew Demetriou and ask for permission to play in this country.
And to answer your question ..YES..FIFA will completley ignore the AFL and they have no reason to even be aware of them.

and if Victoria dont bid..then the bid falls over..The Victorian government have been talking about bidding for a World Cup for around 10 years now and I see no reason for them not to want to be a part.

You still go on about "winter"..It aint an issue mate!..People will still come..Real fans will come and our winters arent even that cold anyway.If it was an issue,the South America would never host a WC and the 2010 World Cup in South Africa would not happen....
FIFA will make their decision based on the bid that's put infront of them, yes... But the FACT is that the strength of an Aussie bid will be determined by the stadiums it can include.

The needs of the AFL/NRL, and the long term business interests of the stadiums, is such that they would be unwise to damage a business relationship...

The FACT is that it would be the AFL's decision whether or not to suspend/postpone their season, and that decision would be made based on how they could stage their fixtures. The staging of the fixtures would be dependant on venues. It's all well and good saying that the MCG, new Perth stadium, Telstra Stadium, etc., would make their decisions separately from the AFL - but the FACT is that AFL provides the chief revenue stream for all of these venues.

Thus, the AFL will have an influence over which stadiums are included in the bid, and as a result will have an influence over how favourably FIFA would look at a bid.

The reality is, for me, that we should forget about the AFL all together. It isn't even worth putting a bid in unless the A-League has continued to grow and each of the clubs has a dedicated 'rectangular' venue - as is the case with England, Spain, etc. THEN bid and the AFL won't have any influence at all.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #2195
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Wouldnt a better option be to use the Telstra dome with the stands moved forward and construct a new 60k+ soccer/rugby specific stadium?
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:34 AM   #2196
Benjuk

Quote:

I'd assume that if and when the new stadium is built in Perth, the existing footy venue will remain in place - surely the Eagles could switch home games back to their 'traditional' home for a couple of months.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #2197
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
Wouldnt a better option be to use the Telstra dome with the stands moved forward and construct a new 60k+ soccer/rugby specific stadium?
Won't happen. By 2022 Telstra Dome will be owned outright by the AFL (unless I'm mistaken) - can't see them giving it up for 2 months... Even if they did, I can imagine the stress and strain at FIFA, trying to decide whether to go for the 'correct' formation for football and give up the ticket money generated by those 2000 or so seats that can't be used when the stands are forward.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old August 11th, 2007, 10:56 PM   #2198
Jarenz
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1303

quite big in size...

Capacity of this stadium??
Jarenz no está en línea  
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #2199
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
You have a short memory...
The first 4 rounds of the 2006 season has no MCG.

As for Collingwood vs Essendon...ANZAC Day is in April....
You do realise Coll and Ess play 2 times a year? And you would think Carl will be stronger by then. And Richmond are bound to succeed at something.

As for 06. Comm Games were exclusive to Melb. It was done in a way that allowed the AFL to embrace it. Therefore a compromise was able to be done. Can't see it happening with a WC.

Quote:
And for the Brisbane Broncos...they played at ANZ Stadium for 10 years until they moved to Suncorp a few years ago...Im sure a few weeks back at ANZ wont hurt them...Crap..they can even play at the GABBA!
ANZ is a hole now. Would you ask them to move back??? They will tell you to f.... off. As for the Gabba... The Lions are there and im really doubting their going to be too happy about letting a sporting rival to share it.

Quote:
And for the West Coast Eagles.....who cares.
Pffffffffffffff.... You have no idea do you.
Old August 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2200
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
If it was that simple, why not place a bid for 2014?

Quote:
Ok if the States placed a bid and the NFL was on, would you think there will be a bearing? Sepp isnt going to ring anyone. In fact, hes probaly not going to do anything apart from reading out the winner.

FIFA can't simply ignore the AFL as the AFL is the biggest sport in Australia. The AFL in some parts of Australia is like a religion. You are seriously underestimating how big the AFL really are.

Quote:
Yet how much money does the AFL pump into the victorian economy? Its Victoria's sport, why wouldnt they consider it?

Quote:
Yet its widely agreed that the South Africa bid wont attract as much tourists compared to Germany. As for South America, Brazil is known for their good weather.

Arent that cold? Well why enjoy the cold again when you stay in the sun? You gotta offer incentives for people to come... In Germany you had good weather, the whole beer ideology, the location itself(being in Europe you can travel around). And we have what??? hot chicks, clean skies and good beaches to stand in the rain in.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup