daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 7th, 2007, 07:37 AM   #2281
meatball1

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
I havent kept up on recently devolpments that often but last I heard the City of Birmingham Stadium seemed to be dead in the water.

4,000 seats(although I'd guess very slightly less than 40K capacity would not be a massive problem) in a new Portsmouth stadium could probabley be achieved without a major redesign. If it was built then it seems an obvious choice given the lack of alternatives in that part of the country.

As we saw in Germany were a perfectly good brand new 50K seat stadium was left unused in the west in favour of a much smaller/old one with a track in the east having a good geographical spread is important.

London - Wembley & Emirates
North West - Old Trafford & New Anfield
North East - St James Park & Stadium of Light
Midlands - Villa Park & New Nottingham Stadium
South West - Portsmouth & New Bristol Stadium

Add in another couple of new/redevolped stadiums from Ipswich, Norwich, Leeds or Sheffield plus maybe the Millenium Stadium(espeically if Bristol can't come up with a 40k ground) and I think you've got close to what the FA's ideal bid would be.
What has the south west ever done to deserve 2 world cup stadiums?

Id rather give it to places like Hillsbrough or elland road. Seriously Bristol?
meatball1 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2282
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatball1 View Post
What has the south west ever done to deserve 2 world cup stadiums?

Id rather give it to places like Hillsbrough or elland road. Seriously Bristol?
What had the cities in eastern germany done to "deserve" games? what had the whole of the US or Japan done? Ultimately the host cities/nations are choosen for economic and political reasons rather than from footballing sucess.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2283
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
What had the cities in eastern germany done to "deserve" games? what had the whole of the US or Japan done? Ultimately the host cities/nations are choosen for economic and political reasons rather than from footballing sucess.
True, it should be spread out.
Old October 7th, 2007, 06:09 PM   #2284
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
True, it should be spread out.
That list he quoted was a pretty broad definition of the SW aswell, its not like I was claiming Bristol, Plymouth and Swindon would all be likey to host matchs.

However loudly people shout me down I still think the Millenium stadium is a possible venue aswell.
Old October 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #2285
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
That list he quoted was a pretty broad definition of the SW aswell, its not like I was claiming Bristol, Plymouth and Swindon would all be likey to host matchs.

However loudly people shout me down I still think the Millenium stadium is a possible venue aswell.
nope absolutely disagree with that

its an England bid, not even a joint bid either.
Old October 7th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #2286
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

Greece... the whole of greece.

They desrerve, a football celebration.
Old October 7th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #2287
big-dog

Likes (Received): 6839

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidkunz/VIE View Post
... Just, please don't let the Chinese get another stage...
why?
big-dog no está en línea  
Old October 7th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #2288
MoreOrLess

Quote:
nope absolutely disagree with that

its an England bid, not even a joint bid either.
I doubt you'd see a joint bid but there would be many unique political/financial reasons for cardiff to host matchs in an english WC. There was if I remember correctly some talk about scottish stadiums being used in the failed 2006 bid without joint hosting. I'd guess welsh involvement would be easier to work out given that the welsh FA has less power(and doesnt own or control the MS) and has closer links to the english game.

Not offence (and not that there arent many good reasons it may not happen) but alot of the reaction agenst the idea seems to be driven by knee jerk nationalism to me.
Old October 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #2289
El Vampiro Ucraniano
Proud Ukrainian

Likes (Received): 595

Joined bid? Last time i checked England and Wales were in the same country, just because UEFA recognises Wales national team, doesn't mean that they are seperate. So throw in Hampden Park in there and have a 2018 Britain WC.
Old October 7th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #2290
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vampiro Ucraniano View Post
Joined bid? Last time i checked England and Wales were in the same country, just because UEFA recognises Wales national team, doesn't mean that they are seperate. So throw in Hampden Park in there and have a 2018 Britain WC.
It terms of the Welsh national team getting an automatic spot it obviously does matter but as you say it is a unique situation.
Old October 7th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2291
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Quote:
I doubt you'd see a joint bid but there would be many unique political/financial reasons for cardiff to host matchs in an english WC. There was if I remember correctly some talk about scottish stadiums being used in the failed 2006 bid without joint hosting. I'd guess welsh involvement would be easier to work out given that the welsh FA has less power(and doesnt own or control the MS) and has closer links to the english game.

Not offence (and not that there arent many good reasons it may not happen) but alot of the reaction agenst the idea seems to be driven by knee jerk nationalism to me.
Its not a knee jerk reaction and it deffinately is not nationalism (on my part anyway). Its not even about the stadium, How can cardiff be a host city in an English Bid?? Don't get me wrong the MS is a great stadium but it isn't in England.
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #2292
MoreOrLess

Quote:
Its not a knee jerk reaction and it deffinately is not nationalism (on my part anyway). Its not even about the stadium, How can cardiff be a host city in an English Bid?? Don't get me wrong the MS is a great stadium but it isn't in England.
That just seems like a simplistic arguement to what would be a rather complex situation, an English WC having matchs in Wales is a very different situation from say a German one having matchs in France.

Personally I don't think it would damage the image of the event very much if at all given how closely associated the MS has been with English football. The main negative would I'd guess be the welsh FA not wanting to have there position as a seperate footballing nation weakened although they don't own the MS.
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #2293
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vampiro Ucraniano View Post
How many times do we need to explain this?

(1) As far as FIFA is concerned, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are separate countries. FIFA, particularly UEFA, don't like the situation because it gives the British a strong position within the organisations when it comes to voting. No way in hell would they allow a joint Welsh-English, or English-Scottish bid - because as host nations the Welsh and/or Scottish would have to be granted a host spot in the finals. That means one less spot for a qualifying team - most likely from Europe.

(2) By 2018 the English will have no need to rely on 'borrowing' stadia from Wales or Scotland - they'll easilly have a dozen suitable stadiums that fulfill the required criteria.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #2294
Benjuk

Quote:
Personally I don't think it would damage the image of the event very much if at all given how closely associated the MS has been with English football. The main negative would I'd guess be the welsh FA not wanting to have there position as a seperate footballing nation weakened although they don't own the MS.
Closely associated with English league football (which includes Welsh clubs), not with international football. This is all about international football rather than play-offs and cup finals. I know that is an obvious point, but it's a very important one.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:21 AM   #2295
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

From the Guardian today:

Sepp Blatter will clear the way for an English bid to stage the 2018 World Cup by abandoning the rotation system currently used to award the tournament. The Fifa president this week told advisers that he wants to change the way tournaments are allocated, a decision that could be rubber-stamped by the executive committee as early as the end of the month. Currently the system is by strict rotation, but the new arrangement will see all continents, bar the hosts of the previous two finals, able to bid.

An English bid, which has the support of prime minister Gordon Brown, will face competition from China, Australia, Russia and possibly Italy. Brown's World Cup ambassador, Richard Caborn, is currently considering offers of support from consultancy firms, including one with exceptionally close ties to Blatter.

The bid could also be boosted by the announcement that Lord Coe, chairman of Fifa's ethics commission, will act as the watchdog for the bidding process. Coe's role with Fifa has attracted criticism, largely because in the year since its foundation his commission has met only once and, because it cannot act retrospectively, has not tackled any of the serious allegations levelled against Fifa, including those made against the vice-president Jack Warner.

Whether Coe was wise to accept the role is questionable but, conscious of the need to make the position meaningful, he met Blatter on Monday to discuss the issue. Coe promised to hold regular meetings of the ethics committee, starting with an investigation into allegations of corruption in the Kenyan refereeing establishment.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #2296
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
From the Guardian today:

Sepp Blatter will clear the way for an English bid to stage the 2018 World Cup by abandoning the rotation system currently used to award the tournament. The Fifa president this week told advisers that he wants to change the way tournaments are allocated, a decision that could be rubber-stamped by the executive committee as early as the end of the month. Currently the system is by strict rotation, but the new arrangement will see all continents, bar the hosts of the previous two finals, able to bid.

An English bid, which has the support of prime minister Gordon Brown, will face competition from China, Australia, Russia and possibly Italy. Brown's World Cup ambassador, Richard Caborn, is currently considering offers of support from consultancy firms, including one with exceptionally close ties to Blatter.

The bid could also be boosted by the announcement that Lord Coe, chairman of Fifa's ethics commission, will act as the watchdog for the bidding process. Coe's role with Fifa has attracted criticism, largely because in the year since its foundation his commission has met only once and, because it cannot act retrospectively, has not tackled any of the serious allegations levelled against Fifa, including those made against the vice-president Jack Warner.

Whether Coe was wise to accept the role is questionable but, conscious of the need to make the position meaningful, he met Blatter on Monday to discuss the issue. Coe promised to hold regular meetings of the ethics committee, starting with an investigation into allegations of corruption in the Kenyan refereeing establishment.
England, China or Russia, I'd think. Australia not ready for football world cup, Italy had it in 1990.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 10th, 2007, 09:35 PM   #2297
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Yes I wish MoreorLess would stop his Anglophobic suggestions. We don't need nor want the Millenium Stadium of Hate, so either work with an English Bid, or go post on http://www.iamananglophobicunionisto.../messageboards
Old October 10th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #2298
Iemand

Likes (Received): 10

Iemand no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:38 AM   #2299
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

What are the "futures" based on? Are there any plans to redevelop these grounds to increase capacity?
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #2300
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
England, China or Russia, I'd think. Australia not ready for football world cup, Italy had it in 1990.
Russia? Have they got plans to stage the tournament too? FIFA really do need to bring the tournament back to Europe so they may as well bid.
Gherkin no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup