daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 12th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #2301
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

FIFA seems to place a lot of emphasis on the whole of a bidding country being involved... It would be interesting to see how Russia handled this - perhaps venues in Okhotsk, Kirensk and Dundinka? I can't see it, for some reason...

That said, if they are allowed to put in a bid based around the big cities in the west, they could probably organise something impressive... They'd have one advantage over England, Spain and Italy, in that they've never hosted the finals before.

That said, I still think it'll be England 2018.
Benjuk no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM   #2302
Mr D
tiptoe

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
What are the "futures" based on? Are there any plans to redevelop these grounds to increase capacity?
Yes there are, Bruges is waiting for a building permission. They have a come up with a project that includes a mall, lots of politicians resent the idea of a large mall outside the city centre, however studies show the project is viable. It will be build in Loppem, a suburb of Bruges.

In Brussels Anderlecht is desperately searching for a new location to build an enirely new stadium. Anderlechts president wants a 60 000 seater.

Standard (Liège) wants to build a new stadium as well, but they have to move as well. For the moment two locations are being studied, the new stadium will have a capacity of 40 000.

The redevelopments in the Netherlands are more concrete.
Mr D no está en línea  
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #2303
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Vampiro Ucraniano View Post
Joined bid? Last time i checked England and Wales were in the same country, just because UEFA recognises Wales national team, doesn't mean that they are seperate. So throw in Hampden Park in there and have a 2018 Britain WC.
Isnt Wales an own uefa and fifa entity? After all they have a national team.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:34 AM   #2304
dwbakke

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
FIFA seems to place a lot of emphasis on the whole of a bidding country being involved... It would be interesting to see how Russia handled this - perhaps venues in Okhotsk, Kirensk and Dundinka? I can't see it, for some reason...

That said, if they are allowed to put in a bid based around the big cities in the west, they could probably organise something impressive... They'd have one advantage over England, Spain and Italy, in that they've never hosted the finals before.

That said, I still think it'll be England 2018.
No way Russia's bid could include too many cities in the east. Vladivostok is absurdly far away from the rest of the country, even by air. If Siberia had to be represented, I guess Novosibirsk is a possibility, and Yekaterinburg could be another city east of the Urals hosting, but other than that I think all the other Russian venues would be in Europe.
dwbakke no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #2305
MasonsInquiries
B-MORE than u strive for!

Likes (Received): 13

i love denver's new stadium. i'd say go with that one.
MasonsInquiries no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #2306
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwbakke View Post
No way Russia's bid could include too many cities in the east. Vladivostok is absurdly far away from the rest of the country, even by air. If Siberia had to be represented, I guess Novosibirsk is a possibility, and Yekaterinburg could be another city east of the Urals hosting, but other than that I think all the other Russian venues would be in Europe.
If you could get two stadiums fairly close together in the far east of russia you could hold one group there I spose.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:03 PM   #2307
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Just seen the FIFA president speaking on Football Focus. He was NOT impressed that only Brazil are bidding for the South American World Cup in 2014. I think that's the major thing that has swung FIFA into scrapping the rotation policy. So from England's point of view, thank you Argentina, Venezuela etc for not bidding
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #2308
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gherkin007 View Post
Just seen the FIFA president speaking on Football Focus. He was NOT impressed that only Brazil are bidding for the South American World Cup in 2014. I think that's the major thing that has swung FIFA into scrapping the rotation policy. So from England's point of view, thank you Argentina, Venezuela etc for not bidding
That'll be because it's bloody hard to get bribes/kickbacks when there's only one bidder and no one is trying to gain favour, and there's only going to be one junket to Brazil, rather than separate 5 star all expense paid trips to Brazil, Argentina, Venezuela, etc.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #2309
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iemand View Post
Nothing that the other bids have to fear from this.
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #2310
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Today Charles Piqué, minister-president of the Brussels Capital Region, will announce the plans for a new multifunctional 60,000 seater stadium for RSC Anderlecht and the Belgian national team, inspired by the concept of the Amsterdam Arena. The stadium will be part of a huge urbanistic project on the site of a former train formation station close to Schaarbeek, but still in the city of Brussels (Brussels Capital Region has 19 communes). Other buildings on the site will be a big shopping center, an 8000-seater concert hall which can also host sport events, a 5000-seater congress hall, and offices.

Of course the stadium will be one of the five Belgian stadiums for the World Cup 2018 co-bid with The Netherlands. The 60,000 capacity is a clear indication that it should be capable of hosting a World Cup Semi Final.
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2311
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Today Charles Piqué, minister-president of the Brussels Capital Region, will announce the plans for a new multifunctional 60,000 seater stadium for RSC Anderlecht and the Belgian national team, inspired by the concept of the Amsterdam Arena. The stadium will be part of a huge urbanistic project on the site of a former train formation station close to Schaarbeek, but still in the city of Brussels (Brussels Capital Region has 19 communes). Other buildings on the site will be a big shopping center, an 8000-seater concert hall which can also host sport events, a 5000-seater congress hall, and offices.

Of course the stadium will be one of the five Belgian stadiums for the World Cup 2018 co-bid with The Netherlands. The 60,000 capacity is a clear indication that it should be capable of hosting a World Cup Semi Final.
Mmm this should be fun, because it means that Amsterdam and Rotterdam will have to upgrade their stadiums if they would like to host the final...

I like those prestige races...

The noices were allready there, Amsterdam wanted to go to 65 000 and Rotterdam/Feyenoord would build a new ´Kuip´ with a cap around 75 000.
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #2312
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

but all these higher capacity stadiums will be white elephants for Belgium and the Netherlands?
Old October 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #2313
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
but all these higher capacity stadiums will be white elephants for Belgium and the Netherlands?
Why would that be? Belgium and Holland have a combined population of 26 million; Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Brussels are all cities with an urban area population of over 1 million. League attendence has been rising in Holland year after year for the past decade, I'm sure it'll be the same in belgium after they get some new & fancy stadiums there.

So dont just say that other bids don't have to fear anything from the Holland and Belgium bid; everyone knows we did a good job at euro '98 [edit: euro 2000, what a silly mistake ](although most of the stadiums sucked back then). It looks like we'll have a pretty good list of stadiums by 2018 though.

Holland:
- New Feyenoord Rotterdam stadium (60,000-70,000)
- Amsterdam Arena (50,000, possible upgrade)
- AZ Alkmaar stadium (currently about 17,000, but is to be extended to 40,000)
- PSV Eindhoven (currently 35,000, they will extend or might even build a new one if we get the WC)
- Either Utercht, Groningen, Enschede or Heerenveen extended to 40,000

Belgium:
- New Brussels stadium (60,000)
- New Club Bruges stadium (40,000)
- Plans to build new stadiums in Antwerp and Liege

Considering 10 stadiums are needed with a minimum capacity of 40,000, I reckon the bid could be quite good!

Last edited by Joop20; October 17th, 2007 at 02:43 PM.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2314
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

"euro '98"

Don't remember that!
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2007, 02:38 PM   #2315
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
"euro '98"

Don't remember that!
You mean Euro 2000? The Dutch stadiums weren't bad, PSV was expanded in a nice way, the renovated Kuip was still fresh, and Amsterdam and Arnhem had new state of the art stadiums. Belgium was another story: only the absolutely necessary was done to meet the UEFA requirements. But remember that in those days organising tournaments didn't mean that all the stadiums had to be brand new. That changed with the World Cup in South-Korea and Japan. Anyway, we have learned from our mistakes. This time the stadiums will (have to) be top quality.

The organisation itself of Euro 2000 was excellent, except for the combination Charleroi-England-Germany...
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #2316
RobH

Likes (Received): 10293

Quote:
But remember that in those days organising tournaments didn't mean that all the stadiums had to be brand new. That changed with the World Cup in South-Korea and Japan.
Did it really?

I hope not, because that would rule most of Europe out for good and certainly put the brakes on England 2018!

Japan/Korea was excessive and hardly any countries could replicate that tournament in terms of brand new stadiums, any any European country would be stupid to.
RobH no está en línea  
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:42 PM   #2317
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

So dont just say that other bids don't have to fear anything from the Holland and Belgium bid; everyone knows we did a good job at euro '98 [edit: euro 2000, what a silly mistake ](although most of the stadiums sucked back then). It looks like we'll have a pretty good list of stadiums by 2018 though.

World Cup 2018 > Euro 2000

Vastly bigger. I like the Netherlands and Fanders but it is simply not big enough for the World Cup, and from what I have seen of that minimalist (ten stadiums only) bid, we have nothing to fear.
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #2318
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
Did it really?

I hope not, because that would rule most of Europe out for good and certainly put the brakes on England 2018!

Japan/Korea was excessive and hardly any countries could replicate that tournament in terms of brand new stadiums, any any European country would be stupid to.
I didn't mean that building new stadiums is obligatory now, but simply that from Korea/Japan on organising a tournament meant building new stadiums. Just make the comparison between the newly built stadiums for USA 1994, England 1996 and France 1998 on the one hand, and for Japan/Korea 2002, Portugal 2004 and Germany 2006 on the other hand. Pretty obvious, is it not?
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #2319
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post

Vastly bigger. I like the Netherlands and Fanders but it is simply not big enough for the World Cup, and from what I have seen of that minimalist (ten stadiums only) bid, we have nothing to fear.
Everybody here is well aware that a World Cup is bigger than a European Championship and that more investments will have to be done, especially on stadium infrastructure, this time.

And what do you mean by big? Km²s? Economy?
Old October 17th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #2320
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post

Why would it be not big enough? Agreed, 26 million people isn't the same as Englands 45 million or Spains 40 million. But why would South Africa or Brazil be big enough, and Holland and Belgium not? The combined gdp of Holland and Belgium is over 1,000 billion, roughly the same as Brazil, and way more than South Africa's gdp of about 255 billion. Moreover, Holland and Belgium have the advantage of short distances between cities and high infrastructure density because they are 'not big enough'.
Joop20 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup