daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:10 PM   #2361
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Besides, the basketball competition has faded into obscurity and we need another club sport to fill the gap over summer.

Sums up Australian Attitudes to the great game.

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM   #2362
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Besides, the basketball competition has faded into obscurity and we need another club sport to fill the gap over summer.

Sums up Australian Attitudes to the great game.
You are getting abit annoying dear lostboy...saying only negative things about every possible bid that has been discussed here. Surely England and Spain are not the only countries that are able to host a world cup... And why on earth are you against Australians?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old October 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #2363
Lostboy

I'm not. China, England, Spain and Russia would all have a decent chance, as would the USA should it bid. The Lowlands and the Australians would not.

I have a personal dislike for Australians but that isn't why I think they don't stand a chance in hell of getting a bid.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:13 AM   #2364
dwbakke

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
I'm not. China, England, Spain and Russia would all have a decent chance, as would the USA should it bid. The Lowlands and the Australians would not.
Not sure why Russia would have so much of a better bid than Australia. Both countries have cities that are pretty far apart, and need a lot of stadiums to be built. Australia's infrastructure is actually better than Russia's, but other than that they seem like they're pretty similar.
dwbakke no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:58 AM   #2365
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:

I have a personal dislike for Australians but that isn't why I think they don't stand a chance in hell of getting a bid.
Just curious, what's your problem with Australians? I've lived amongst them for the last 7 years and (other than when the Ashes are on) I've not found them to be annoying in the slightest.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 05:55 AM   #2366
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Funny, now that this thread has been brought back to life - I've had a good laugh reading through it, particularly some of the more naive pre-Germany '06comments.

I've also had a good search around on Worldstadiums.com, and my feeling is now that if Straylia ever really wanted to host the finals, they would have to invest in new stadia in the way that South Africa are at the moment - I really don't see how the country could hope to beat off rival bids by doing cheap re-fits of existing stadia and hoping for clearance to use AFL venues.

We'd need to be building new stadiums for Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Newcastle or Wollongong, plus somewhere in Tasmania and somewhere north of Brisbane, in order to have a chance... Not sure the government would bankroll the sport to that degree.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM   #2367
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Let's just do well at World Cups for a few years before we sell off the farm to build soccer stadiums all over the countryside.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:26 AM   #2368
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

2022, that's our best shot. Plenty of time for us to pull our finger out before then.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM   #2369
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:

China and Russia cannot make a decent bid at this moment either...
Old October 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM   #2370
Lostboy

No but they can sustain a bid, Australia and the Lowlands simply can't.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM   #2371
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
It's simply arrogance to think that a country where soccer must be the sixth or seventh sport in unfavourable timezones with subpar facilities, isolated from the footballing world should host just to host it...
this is a very, very fair post.

australians, isn't there also an issue with the world cup coinciding with your afl season (march - august), meaning some of these venues you'd like to use might not even be available anyway?
Noostairz no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 02:41 PM   #2372
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 737

not really because he also supports a US bid. Bit of a double standard really
KIWIKAAS no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:06 PM   #2373
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8666

Lets put it this way, Germany will be a hard act to follow for any nation. I think a nation with tried and tested ability for hosting large sporting events would be a safe bet, don't you?

I'd like Australia to get it. I think they'd put on a good show especially with the publicity the Socceroos got thanks to their performance in the last world cup.
Svartmetall no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM   #2374
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by edennewstairs View Post
this is a very, very fair post.

australians, isn't there also an issue with the world cup coinciding with your afl season (march - august), meaning some of these venues you'd like to use might not even be available anyway?
It won't be an issue, because if we're bidding, by that time we could have enough rectangle stadia in the country. With Perth, matched can be played at the new 70,000 seat retractable stand stadium, AFL matces can be moved back to Subiaco. With Adelaide, if matches were to be played at football park (god forbid), AFL matches can be played at Adelaide oval for the period. Every other city in the country that would be hosting matches won't have the problem of AFL.

In the case of NRL, the same can happen. There are ways & means around everything. I'm pretty sure the FFA won't let the AFL & NRL seasons get in the way.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM   #2375
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

We dont need to sell the farm to host the WC.

Cities liike Perth need to cater for the Eagles, Dockers, Force, Glory and lesser extent Warriors. Adelaide needs to cater for Crows, Power, Redbacks, United. This can all be solved through multi-use stadiums with extendable seats.

The top end of Queensland is generally a massive buzz for sports and Tassie love their sport as well.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2376
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Subiaco will be demolished when the new one is built. The land value is massive!!

As for the ability to hold the WC? Didnt people write Sydney off? Ok, now go and look at Athens and Salt Lake and come back to me.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:14 PM   #2377
Lostboy

Don't be idiotic. The Olympics in Sydney were great, but the World Cup is rather different, in terms of scale there are far fewer countries that can host on their own than there are cities that can host an Olympics. To compare the two is ignorant, and just shows Australian contempt for the World Sport.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM   #2378
Lostboy

It won't be an issue, because if we're bidding, by that time we could have enough rectangle stadia in the country

Which ten cities?
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM   #2379
Arjuch

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:

Actually the B and Nl has the greatest chance ...
We have the stadiums and the organisations skills, besides we are the smallest and that is a POSITIVE thing. 26 million people is surely enough and we lay in the centre of western-europe so we are certainly approachable. Nl could do it on their own, Belgium could do it on their own. It is just for the stadiums we need each other.

So can you please explain me why we wouldn't make a chance!
We have nice stadiums,good transport and a small area. So on which point would we lose ?
Arjuch no está en línea  
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM   #2380
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Funny, now that this thread has been brought back to life - I've had a good laugh reading through it, particularly some of the more naive pre-Germany '06comments.

I've also had a good search around on Worldstadiums.com, and my feeling is now that if Straylia ever really wanted to host the finals, they would have to invest in new stadia in the way that South Africa are at the moment - I really don't see how the country could hope to beat off rival bids by doing cheap re-fits of existing stadia and hoping for clearance to use AFL venues.

We'd need to be building new stadiums for Perth, Adelaide, Canberra, Newcastle or Wollongong, plus somewhere in Tasmania and somewhere north of Brisbane, in order to have a chance... Not sure the government would bankroll the sport to that degree.
A combination of new and upgraded existing stadia IMO is the best solution. South Africa uses 5 existing and 5 new venues. I think Australia should use 8 venues in 8 cities to host.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup