daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2007, 12:52 AM   #2441
The Sage
I want my LBT

Likes (Received): 1

I'd love it if China or England won the bid. Any of the other countries mentioned would deeply disappoint me.
The Sage no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:10 AM   #2442
Flogging Molly
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Its about revnue now. England is the biggest market in terms of sponsorship and current deals that FIFA can currently take for granted.

After the 2006 fiasco another lost England bid would cause unimaginable tension between the FA, UEFA and FIFA.

Bad for all of football.

Lets not forget the Premiership makes up over 50% of all players who particpate in the tournament and Europe 90%. Figues speak for themselves and in the end. Thats all that matters.

Its a one way ticket to England in 2018. Australias bid is based on an ideology that any recent rejected bid for a major tournament gives an advantage the following time round.

Its how London cleverly planned for the 2012 Olympics making Manchester and Birmingham un-realistically bid before them in the 90's.
Flogging Molly no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #2443
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Spreading football into new, large markets like America, China and India is a very good thing, Australia is small and unimportant though.
Pfffffffffff..... Were more passionate about our sport then China or India. Take about Cricket in India and their a bunch of normal people who work, eat and sleep every day. Take away ummmmmmm.... table tennis and yeah...

FIFA tried to spread into the massive and large market of America as you think and it sucked ass big time. Major flop if anything. If anything... Baseball and NHL (2 of the Big 4 sports) are on the major decline and thats before talking about MLS.

Australia has only had a small taste of it and from what we have seen so far... were heading in the right direction.
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:51 AM   #2444
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Its AlL gUUd View Post
Well if FIFA actually took this into account more often then not, then there wouldn't be soo much corruption in FIFA. Having an 'unknown' footballing country hosting the WC every once in a while is fine but 2018 is England's turn.
Although im sure FIFA officials could so easily be bribed...
I agree with ya.

What shits me though is that people are actually throwing my countrys bid into the urinal before we even actually bid.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #2445
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
I agree with ya.

What shits me though is that people are actually throwing my countrys bid into the urinal before we even actually bid.

It's 'cos it's a very hard sell mate. I'd love it to come here but as I've said elsewhere Australia's sporting diversity will most likely kill it.

Now, when are you going to change your name/avatar? He looks much smarter in a blue shirt!
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #2446
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Mo Rush,

You are wrong!

http://www.2018england.co.uk/2018-stadiums/

Potential Stadia for Englands 2018 World Cup Bid.
Poor site and out of date.

I still think the strength of England's bid is that it could be done on an "as is" basis, with very little work required on the stadiums themselves between the bid and the finals. There will be at least 8 stadiums of sufficient size by 2012, prior to any bid being formally made - and with FIFA going through the nervous wait on stadium completion prior to Germany 06, and now waiting for South Africa to get everything ready, whilst being fully aware that Brazil hasn't even started yet... They might just like a relaxing 4 year build up to 2018, safe in the knowledge that the stadiums are ready.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM   #2447
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
10 stadiums in 9 cities would probably be better, considering Germany used 12 stadiums and SA will use 10 stadiums. I agree that getting a decent amount of rectangular stadiums is key. What can we realistically expect by 2022 in terms of rectangular stadiums:

- Brisbane (55,000)
- Melbourne rectangular stadium (30,000 u/c and can be expanded to 50,000)
- Gold coast (25,000 u/c, at the rate this city is growing they'll be able to sustain a large rectangular stadium by 2022)
- Sydney footbal stadium (45,000)
- Its not impossible to assume that Newcastle, Canberra and Townsville will be expanded to 40,000 in the next 10/15 years

So, 6 or 7 40,000+ rectangular stadiums by 2022 is quite likely. Add to this the multi-use stadiums, and you've got a pretty good list if you ask me:
- Sydney Telstra in rectangular mode (83,500)
- Perth new stadium in rectangular mode (70,000)
- Adelaide new stadium (50,000 - hell, its about time Adelaide gets a decent stadium)

Still works on the basis that current tenents could be tempted into playing their games at smaller venues for 2 months.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #2448
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
It's 'cos it's a very hard sell mate. I'd love it to come here but as I've said elsewhere Australia's sporting diversity will most likely kill it.
What is hard to sell? Have you seen the bid??

People (mainly brits) are pi$$ing all over a mythical Australian bid which is kind of sad really, especially when even we concede that a successful 2018 bid is an extreme long shot. But if we're serious about hosting the event we need to put our hat in the ring for 2018 to demonstrate to FIFA how dedicated we are, and in turn should keep us in good stead for future bids.

I'll reserve my judgement if/when it becomes official...

Quote:
Now, when are you going to change your name/avatar? He looks much smarter in a blue shirt!
No arguments there...
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #2449
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Still works on the basis that current tenents could be tempted into playing their games at smaller venues for 2 months.
True...I'm not into Australian sport rivalries, but I guess there's no chance of the AFL taking a 2 month break in their season for a world cup?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2450
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Whether the site is out of date I don't know, but the rules are certainly not.
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #2451
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
True...I'm not into Australian sport rivalries, but I guess there's no chance of the AFL taking a 2 month break in their season for a world cup?
Not when 1 of the sports pull the third highest aggregate crowds in the world.
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #2452
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyBlue View Post
What is hard to sell? Have you seen the bid??

People (mainly brits) are pi$$ing all over a mythical Australian bid which is kind of sad really, especially when even we concede that a successful 2018 bid is an extreme long shot. But if we're serious about hosting the event we need to put our hat in the ring for 2018 to demonstrate to FIFA how dedicated we are, and in turn should keep us in good stead for future bids.

I'll reserve my judgement if/when it becomes official...
I'm trying to be as realistic as possible. In order to sell FIFA on an Aussie world cup, 'we' have to overcum the distance issue, the timezone issue, and the issue of the nations' footballing reputation (as summed up by the Brit pi$$ing)... That's before the stadiums come into it.

I can't see any way in which the footballing authorities could convince the government of the value of a world cup to the point that they would pay out a couple of billion $ on new facilites in Canberra, Newcastle, Wollongong, Townsville, Hobart, Perth, Adelaide, etc. Hope I'm wrong.

For the record, people keep mentioning the capacity of certain English stadiums that could be raised in the event of a winning bid from England... I'd feel a bit cheated if I was a supporter of a club that had self-financed stadium developments, if a rival club got an extra 10-15k seats 'free', or even a new stadium (as the South West is hoping). As for the 'easy and cheap' expansion of the Sunderland Stadium of Light - an extra 16k seats at a cost of around 30 million Sterling. Relatively cheap, but pretty expensive for the sake of 3 or 4 games.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2453
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
For the record, people keep mentioning the capacity of certain English stadiums that could be raised in the event of a winning bid from England... I'd feel a bit cheated if I was a supporter of a club that had self-financed stadium developments,
The difference is a self financed stadium like the Emirates is actually owned by the club were as I'd guess any publically funded stadiums would be owned by the local council meaning the club would have to pay rent.

Personally I think FIFA are going to be less interested in trying to open new markets in the future and more interested in trying to keep hold of what they have as international football continues to decline in importance agenst the club level. Aside from the Korean's sucess 2002 was IMHO a horrible advert for the WC that gave the impression playered valued club over country.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:32 PM   #2454
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

I like England for this one...
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2455
EADGBE
Resonation's what u need

Likes (Received): 53

Assuming a 16 venue requirement where no more than 2 venues can be in the same city, what would an England v Australia bid look like?

England

Wembley (London)................90,000
Emirates (London).................60,000
Old Trafford (Manchester)......76,000 - possibly 90,000
Eastlands (Manchester).........48,000
Stanley Park (Liverpool).........60,000 - possibly 76,000
New Everton ground (Kirby).....50,000
St. James' Park (Newcastle)....60,000
Stadium of Light (Sunderland)..48,000 - possibly 64,000
Villa Park (Birmingham)............45,000
Elland Road (Leeds)................40,000
Hillsbrough (Sheffield).............40,000
City Ground (Nottingham)........36,000
Riverside (Middlesbrough)........36,000
St. Mary's (Southampton)........32,000
Walkers Stadium (Leicester).....32,000
Stadium:MK (Milton Keynes).....32,000 (would have to be expanded from 22k)

Australia

Telstra Stadium (Sydney).........85,000 - could it go back to 115,000?
Aussie Stadium (Sydney)..........45,000
MCG (Melbourne)....................99,000
Telstra Dome (Melbourne).........55,000
SunCorp Stadium (Brisbane)......52,000
The Gabba (Brisbane)...............42,000
Adelaide Oval (Adelaide)...........33,500
Hindmarsh Stadium (Adelaide)....30,000+ (would have to be expanded from 16,500)
Subiaco Oval (Perth)................43,000
WACA (Perth).........................30,000 (expected increase, required for WC)
Canberra Stadium (Canberra).....30,000+ (would have to be expanded from 25,000)
EnergyAus. Stadium (Newcastle).30,000+ (would have to be extended from 26,000)
Aurora Stadium (Launceston).....30,000+ (would have to be expanded from 23,000)
Dairy Farmers' Sta. (Thuringowa).30,000+ (would have to be expanded from 25,000)
Skilled Park (Gold Coast)............30,000+ (would have to be expanded from 27,500)
Toyota Park (Cronulla)...............30,000+ (would have to be expanded from 21,500)

Both lists are of course subject to inevitable debate. Yes, there are probably more A-League grounds that could be included, but they would require further increases to get to FIFA's minimum capacity level of 30k.
EADGBE no está en línea  
Old October 26th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2456
dwbakke

Likes (Received): 0

16 venues!???! I don't even think FIFA would allow 16 venues.
dwbakke no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #2457
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 738

Indeed. What a load of bollocks EADGBE.
assuming those were the criteria then we can pretty much cancel out every country in the world apart from the UK, US, China, and Germany. Crap post.
Let's face it. You want it in the UK and nowhere else will do. Full stop.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2007, 01:48 AM   #2458
EADGBE
Resonation's what u need

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWIKAAS View Post

Indeed. What a load of bollocks EADGBE.
assuming those were the criteria then we can pretty much cancel out every country in the world apart from the UK, US, China, and Germany. Crap post.
Let's face it. You want it in the UK and nowhere else will do. Full stop.
Excuse me? I expect a little more decorum than that - or does your avatar represent the orifice from which you most frequently choose to speak?

I only used the figure of 16 because Lostboy mentioned it earlier. I didn't even give it any thought. Having looked at Germany 2006, I note that only 12 venues were used - so you have my unreserved apologies for the oversight.

I can imagine that this may cause you a problem because the only way my list is now valid is to just knock off the smallest four from each (check my maths, 16-12 = 4, right?) and that's, like, so difficult to do.

Yes I'd like 2018 to be in England (not the UK - understand the difference), and - shit - I'm English, so that can't be particularly sporting, can it? Strangely, though, I can't remember expressing a preference either way in my original post so I sort of suspect your final point (if you can call it that) was a little thin on substantiation.

By the way people who use terms like 'full stop' in an attempt to finish their point, implying there's nothing more to say tend to do so to mask their limited ability to construct a cogent argument.

Sound familiar?
EADGBE no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:01 AM   #2459
KIWIKAAS

Likes (Received): 738

The full stop was not intended to finish MY point, rather to place emphasis on the fact that post (especially from Lostboy) are all engineerd with only one possible candidate that being England. That is what my post was addessing. And as to out of which orifice I speak, that depends on whether you think my opinion stinks or not I suppose.
KIWIKAAS no está en línea  
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:02 AM   #2460
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE View Post
Excuse me? I expect a little more decorum than that - or does your avatar represent the orifice from which you most frequently choose to speak?

I only used the figure of 16 because Lostboy mentioned it earlier. I didn't even give it any thought. Having looked at Germany 2006, I note that only 12 venues were used - so you have my unreserved apologies for the oversight.

I can imagine that this may cause you a problem because the only way my list is now valid is to just knock off the smallest four from each (check my maths, 16-12 = 4, right?) and that's, like, so difficult to do.

Yes I'd like 2018 to be in England (not the UK - understand the difference), and - shit - I'm English, so that can't be particularly sporting, can it? Strangely, though, I can't remember expressing a preference either way in my original post so I sort of suspect your final point (if you can call it that) was a little thin on substantiation.

By the way people who use terms like 'full stop' in an attempt to finish their point, implying there's nothing more to say tend to do so to mask their limited ability to construct a cogent argument.

Sound familiar?
i concur

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup