daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 2nd, 2007, 07:48 PM   #2561
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

45k minimum capacity remember!

Last edited by Sparks; November 4th, 2007 at 06:16 PM.
Sparks no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM   #2562
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

4) They are geographically as widespread as they really could be. Ideally, the 12th venue should be Ipswich or Nowrich but neither have any plans or planning to allow a 40k+ capacity. The counter argument to spreading the venues being usage after the finals (see Southampton @ 50k). For this reason, the whole of the South West is a non-starter at present.

Bristol could very well be in the Premiership next season given how well Bristol City is sitting. As one of the core cities of England, I see no reason why it can't hold a 40,000 seater stadium especially as the Guinness Premiership has year upon year increases in attendances as well.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2563
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
45k minimum capacity remember!
I thought it was 40,000?
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 09:04 PM   #2564
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostboy View Post
Bristol could very well be in the Premiership next season given how well Bristol City is sitting. As one of the core cities of England, I see no reason why it can't hold a 40,000 seater stadium especially as the Guinness Premiership has year upon year increases in attendances as well.
The key to coming up with a 45K+ stadium in Bristol (beyond either of the two teams being in the prem for a lenght of time) might I'd guess be getting a few rubgy internationals or maybe the Guinness prem final . The SW is afterall the heartland of rugby union in England and it would be alot easier to justify the expense to give it a centerpeice stadium.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2565
Lostboy

The key to coming up with a 45K+ stadium in Bristol (beyond either of the two teams being in the prem for a lenght of time) might I'd guess be getting a few rubgy internationals or maybe the Guinness prem final . The SW is afterall the heartland of rugby union in England and it would be alot easier to justify the expense to give it a centerpeice stadium.

Exactly my thoughts. The South-West is as you say the centre of English Rugby, - Bristol, Gloucester and Bath are probably the only major centres in England where football takes number 2 spot to any other sport and believe me certainly in Gloucester it does - and with all these competitions there is surely at least one major final which could be located in Bristol, and it would be nice for the RFU to have access to another major stadium with strong rugby associations apart from Twickenham, perhaps if nothing else for some of the smaller games, like the England Saxons etc.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2566
sibyl-vane

Likes (Received): 0

well i think Pfaff and Preud'homme are quite popular players. Or better WERE popular players. But i think guys like Enzo Scifo or Jan Ceulemans are even more well-known. But to be honest I don't think Belgium and Holland have much of a chance when they compete against England. And yes maybe they can handle hooligans better than other countries do (italy...what a bunch of f.....g a......s)but they don't really know how to differ a football fan from a hooligan.As an aftermath of the Heysel tragedy maybe they tend to treat every footballfan like a potential serial killer - at least in Euro 2000...
sibyl-vane no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:37 PM   #2567
genkie456

I admit that during EURO 2000 the policing in brussels was quite heavy. But that was only in brussels. And thats not only with hooligans. They tend to profile themselves as 'robocops' with zero-tolerance. It's like a referee. You can control a match on two ways: low-profile and intervene when neccesary or high profile and zero-tolerance. But you have to admit that those days were different. Fans were stabbed with knives in the UEFA-cup final before tournment, there was a reveavel of hooliganism, and the system of preventing hooligans to travel during tournaments worked only by the germans, the behaviour of british fans was disgusting. In that circunstances police work was well done. But that doesn't surpise me. We have the best equipped police in the world:

http://www.polfed-fedpol.be/org/org_...dgm_mid_nl.php
genkie456 no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2568
Salif

Likes (Received): 327

Going off the 2006 World Cup we need 12 venues and a city cannot have more then two venues. Each of these stadiums must have a capacity of at leats 45000 and the venues for the opening match, the semi-finals and the third place playoff must have a minimum of 60000.

I presume the final venue needs a capacity of at least 70000.

1. Wembley Stadium, London
capacity 90,000

2. Emirates Stadium, London
capacity 60,432

3. Old Trafford, Manchester
capacity 76,212

4. City of Manchester Stadium, Manchester
capacity 47,726

5. Stanley Park Stadium, Liverpool
capacity 60,000 (possible expansion to 78,000)

6. New Goodison, Liverpool
capacity 50,000

7. St James Park, Newcastle
capacity 52,387

8. Stadium of Light, Sunderland
capacity 49,000

9. Villa Park, Birmingham
capacity 42,573 (possible expansion to 56,000 for the Olympics)

10. City of Birmingham Stadium, Birmingham
capacity of 55,000

11. New Nottingham Forest Stadium, Nottingham
capacity 50,000

12. Elland Road, Leeds
capacity (with redevelopment) 45,000-67,000

Salif no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #2569
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

From a European point of view, I don't think it's a good idea having possibly 4 countries from one continent bidding for the same WC. Uefa (for example) should poll the European unions and decide on just one candidate each time.

At least with just one candidate, the European votes can be targeted at one country, but with several options the vote could become 'diluted' and another continent could win!
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:46 PM   #2570
Salif

Likes (Received): 327

Quote:
Originally Posted by genkie456 View Post
I admit that during EURO 2000 the policing in brussels was quite heavy. But that was only in brussels. And thats not only with hooligans. They tend to profile themselves as 'robocops' with zero-tolerance. It's like a referee. You can control a match on two ways: low-profile and intervene when neccesary or high profile and zero-tolerance. But you have to admit that those days were different. Fans were stabbed with knives in the UEFA-cup final before tournment, there was a reveavel of hooliganism, and the system of preventing hooligans to travel during tournaments worked only by the germans, the behaviour of british fans was disgusting. In that circunstances police work was well done. But that doesn't surpise me. We have the best equipped police in the world:

http://www.polfed-fedpol.be/org/org_...dgm_mid_nl.php
I'd say British police are pretty good at dealing with hooliganism.
Salif no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #2571
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts. The South-West is as you say the centre of English Rugby, - Bristol, Gloucester and Bath are probably the only major centres in England where football takes number 2 spot to any other sport and believe me certainly in Gloucester it does - and with all these competitions there is surely at least one major final which could be located in Bristol, and it would be nice for the RFU to have access to another major stadium with strong rugby associations apart from Twickenham, perhaps if nothing else for some of the smaller games, like the England Saxons etc.
Not impossible as the RFU are probabley not as closely tied to using Twickenham as the FA are to Wembley due to the lower contruction costs, a few of the less glamourous(non 5 nations basically) internationals might actually make more in Bristol.

Part of the reason I'v always thought the Millenium stadium might be used if Bristol can't come up with a venue is that a SW stadium could end up being an important part of the bid due to its isolation. If the above could be worked out though I'd guess 50,000+ isnt out of the question with the possibility of getting a QF.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2007, 11:56 PM   #2572
genkie456

police during euro 2000 was good, certainly as you know that the MI5 warned the autorities for a 'hooligan' war without limits.
genkie456 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:51 AM   #2573
sibyl-vane

@genkie:

i don't think it was good. it was too strict. one felt like a prisoner. maybe they didn't treat you as a resident like this. but i am german...

but apart from that police/hooligan-thing, i don't think belgium and holland have a chance regarding the proposed competetors. Besides England i expect Spain to place a bid and be the country to watch out for.
sibyl-vane no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:11 AM   #2574
Lostboy

i don't think it was good. it was too strict. one felt like a prisoner. maybe they didn't treat you as a resident like this. but i am german...

I agree, we must remember that the Belgians are ruled by French Speakers and their Germanic Language speakers are an oppressed majority, we cannot expect their agents of the state to act with tolerance until Romancian Rule is overthrown in Belguim.
Old November 3rd, 2007, 02:12 AM   #2575
Lostboy

Part of the reason I'v always thought the Millenium stadium might be used if Bristol can't come up with a venue is that a SW stadium could end up being an important part of the bid due to its isolation. If the above could be worked out though I'd guess 50,000+ isnt out of the question with the possibility of getting a QF.

Cardiff is not in the South-West of England
Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:11 AM   #2576
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBrit View Post
From a European point of view, I don't think it's a good idea having possibly 4 countries from one continent bidding for the same WC. Uefa (for example) should poll the European unions and decide on just one candidate each time.

At least with just one candidate, the European votes can be targeted at one country, but with several options the vote could become 'diluted' and another continent could win!
I agree

and for the Holland&Belgium bid, i thought joint bids were frowned upon after 2002
Old November 3rd, 2007, 03:22 AM   #2577
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

It's only frowned upon, rather than not allowed. They'll probably bid.
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:20 PM   #2578
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

So does anyone have info on the new stadiums in San Sebastian and Zaragoza in Spain? Or on the new Atletico Madrid stadium?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 12:26 PM   #2579
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1157

Quote:
Benelux can organise a WC:

so cute!
Why are you so anti-Germanian?
Quintana no está en línea  
Old November 3rd, 2007, 01:26 PM   #2580
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
So does anyone have info on the new stadiums in San Sebastian and Zaragoza in Spain? Or on the new Atletico Madrid stadium?
The new stadium in San Sebastian won't be build.
In Zaragoza I think there are still some legal problems to build the new stadium and it's not sure if it will be 40'000 or 50'000. But by 2018 it should be built, and if Spain is bidding it will surely be 50'000.
The new Atletico stadium was presented a few weeks ago. It will be finished by 2010 if I remember correctly.

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup