daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 14th, 2006, 10:31 AM   #241
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Just on the Aussie World Cup bid. Ron Walker, the boss of the Grand Prix in Melbourne and on countless boards in Oz and the UK(including the Oz FFA) said yesterday we WILL be going all out for a World Cup as they would like to stage a Cup down under before himself and Frank Lowy are sitting in wheelchairs.

Now that guy is the "Mr Fix It". If anyone has seen the film of the "Inside Man". Think that Jodie Foster character and that is Ron Walker.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #242
london lad

Likes (Received): 2246

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up
Ummm...sounds more like politics to me than anything else. I would not react either way. Bladder likes to read himself quoted in the newspapers often.

Brasil for 2014 is still the plan.

I agree- I think hes just trying to get Brazil to maybe get a move on with their stadiums as some I have been to are very decrepid & need massive rebuilding or renovating
london lad no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 10:55 AM   #243
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho
Blatter is an idiot, hes trying to take the 2014 World Cup out of Brazil or even South America.

If South Africa for example can do it, why we cant? Brazil is bigger, has more cities, football is way more popular and the country is richer aswell. Argentina, Chile and Mexico are pratically on the same level of Brazil and those countries populations are smaller and they dont have as many cities as Brazil has to host the matchs.

What Blatter wants? Maybe he wants us to start building everything before we know if we are really gonna host it...
Its most likely just putting pressure on Brazil, however its often been rumoured that the only reason the rotation system was brought in was to garentee Africa a WC since Blatter was depending on their votes to remain FIFA president. I'm sure Blatter would love to have another world cup in the USA in the hope of building a rich footballing market to rival UEFA(notice no european nations were mentioned as alternative hosts) but I doubt he could get away with it politically. As an England fan I'd be very pissed off if any of those nations other than Australia got a second/third WC post 66 espeically since theres can be no excuse that we couldnt easly host one.

As to the Australian bid I wouldnt be supprized if they were allowed a little leway when it comes to only having two stadiums in one city, Portugal got away with two in Porto and Lisbon afterall(UEFA not FIFA I know).
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #244
BobDaBuilder

Where are these "rules" for how many stadiums you need to stage World Cups? I doubt they even exist. It is more than likely just conventions on how it was done in the past.

A place like England can say that Manchester and Liverpool are separate cities when they are practically one large urban sprawl. By that definition Sydney is roughly the size of half of England so they could have half the stadiums by itself.

Forget that crap about 6, 8 or 10 or more stadiums. It means nothing. There are no such rules from FIFA and if there were they can be easily altered.

I remember the 98 world cup and for some bizarre reason they had games at Parc des Princes rather than St. Denis. They lost 40,000 potential customers just for the sake of have "another" stadium.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:21 AM   #245
MoreOrLess

I believe the "rules" are....

10+ 40,000 capacity
Two stadiums in only 1 city
70,000+ capacity for final
Either 50,000+ or 60,000+ for semi's

I agree the number of stadiums per city rule would likely be abandoned as it suited FIFA. Generally the rules come less important if the host is desided within FIFA rather than though bidding aswell.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:24 AM   #246
Tricky

Likes (Received): 150

1) I think Blatter is on drugs - he has his choleric moments where he just spits out abuses without thinking. He did the same during the preparation for this year's World Cup in Germany. Anyhow, for that reason, I don't believe he would really dare to take it away from Brazil. There is still plenty of time for Brazil to get their act together

2) I don't mind the Mexicans getting it again. I think 1986 was a great World Cup. There is a lot more passion for the game there than in the United States. So there is no way that the US would get it so early again after 1994.

3) As much as I'd like the World Cup to be staged here in Australia - I don't believe it will ever happen. How hard is it for all the teams and worldwide fans to come to Australia and criss-cross the continent? I mean, it would be a boon for the Aussie tourism industry, as thousands of fans would descend on the continent to watch their teams (and dare I say that they would spent more money than the average 'Olympic fan' in 2000 - football fans are die-hards that'd do anything to watch their team).

In terms of marketability Australia has 2 really strong disadvantages:

1) only 20m population (remember: the USA got the 1994 WC mainly because of it's huge market). What would be the financial or promotional benefit for FIFA staging it Down Under?

2) Football (or soccer as they still call it here) is not even in the top 2 footy codes in Australia - AFL (Aussie Rules) and NRL (Rugby) being on top. Football must be ingrained as the passionate number 1 (or close 2nd) sport in Australia before FIFA would seriously consider giving it to Australia.

So, in a nutshell: I think Blatter uses scare-tactics. Brazil will get it for 2014, and Australia can dream of staging a World Cup in 2016 at the earliest.

Cheers.

Last edited by Tricky; April 14th, 2006 at 11:43 AM.
Tricky no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #247
victory

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
- only 20m population (remember: the USA got the 1994 WC mainly because of it's huge market). What would be the financial or promotional gain for FIFA staging it Down Under?
One advantage would be te TV time slot into Asia. FIFA is looking to increase its support in Asia, and so having another World Cup in an asian convientiant time zone (and another AFC nation) would add to K/J-02 to build upon soccer-football's popularity.

Quote:
- Football (or soccer as they still call it here) is not even in the top 2 footy codes in Australia - AFL (Aussie Rules) and NRL (Rugby) being on top.
Yes. But the A-League had a terrifically successful inaugural season, and support is set to increase over the coming years.

And soccer is the #1 grassroots sport in the nation, most participation, once that is converted into commercial support things will develop even faster. And when all the kids who play today are older, they will be big spending fans.

In an ideal world, the AFL would die, and the A-League and NRL would walk over the ashes, but that is not going to happen unless they get support nation wide.
victory no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #248
pompeyfan

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walbanger
I agree with sydney lad. Lions vs anyone? You have no idea. If your a Queenslander, at least mention State of Origin for atmosphere. As for interstate AFL sides, well Subi holds the atmosphere in better than AAMI (too open) so West Coast is probably the loudest.
The State of Origin is quiet compared to a match like Brisbane v Essendon where 40k people scream their heads off when the Lions win.

As for State of Origin, in Queensland you're lucky to get 5000 screaming because the rest are QLD Fans. for those who don't know, QLD hasn't won a series in years.

Keep up with my latest projects here
pompeyfan no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:35 AM   #249
BobDaBuilder

Why did the IOC stage the Summer Games in OZ, why does the FIA hold Grand Prixs in Oz?

The simple reason is OZ is a wealthy nation. You could go and stage a World Cup in China but 90 per cent or more and VERY, VERY poor. They could not afford $100 a ticket. Not on your nelly.

Brazil is also a VERY, VERY poor nation by comparison to Australia.

If FIFA holds a Cup down here they will make a lot of money from sold out stadiums, paying top dollar for a ticket. Not heavily marked down prices you would have to have in places like South Africa, Brazil, China etc.. just so the locals can afford a ticket.

You gotta remember Oz is one of the few very fortunate nations in the World where people are relatively well off. There is only about 30 nations in the world like that.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:37 AM   #250
pompeyfan

Australia also has the infastructure to host it

Old April 14th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #251
pompeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky
2) I don't mind the Mexicans getting it again. I think 1986 was a great World Cup. There is a lot more passion for the game there than in the United States. So there is no way that the US would get it so early again after 1994.
Mexico could not host the World Cup, The infastructure is not up to scratch

Old April 14th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #252
BobDaBuilder

It will all come down to lobbying.

What Oz could do to help its cause a heck of a lot is to get the A-League to grow bigger and bigger, host the World Club Cup and Asian Nations Champs.

We have staged World Youth Champs twice to packed houses, Olympics twice to HUGE attendances.

FIFA knows this all too well, especially after the Atlanta shimozzle, and would be keen for Oz to stage the Cup because they know we would do a pretty good job.

Note: The Rugby World Cup in 2003 was the biggest of all time and made incredible profits for the IRB and ARU.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:51 AM   #253
pompeyfan

it is a matter of time

Old April 14th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #254
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder
If FIFA holds a Cup down here they will make a lot of money from sold out stadiums, paying top dollar for a ticket. Not heavily marked down prices you would have to have in places like South Africa, Brazil, China etc.. just so the locals can afford a ticket.
There lies the problem with a WC in Oz . . . stadiums or should I say the availability of stadiums. I believe the WC would have to be played in the middle of the AFL and Rugby League seasons. Do you expect these comps to just go into hibernation for a couple of months and aid a competitor? There are way too many contractual issues that have these stadiums tied to their respective football codes and I just don't see a way around it, unless we convince FIFA to hold the WC in October I don't like the chances of that lol.

Apart from that issue, I have no doubt Australia would host a very successful tournament.
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #255
MoreOrLess

Who actually ownes the Telstra Dome and MCG? Unless its actually the AFL then surely it would make sense to shift everything into either of them and let the world cup use the other stadium?

As for smaller stadiums I'd say that Australia's best chance of getting the WC would be to build/expand alot of 40,000+ Soccer/Rugby specific stadiums in cities that don't currently have them(basically everywhere outside Sydney/Brisbane). The legacy for soccer is obviously going to be an important part if any Australian bid and I could see the WC itself boasting soccers popularity far more than it did in the US. I don't think theirs any country in the world that would make more effort into making sure they perform well in any major sporting event they host.

I could see distance being a problem though as you need at least two stadiums in order to host a group in a specific area, are western australia or the northern territories going to be able to come up with that?
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #256
Martuh
×××

Likes (Received): 23

Aussie could never hold it. Not spreaded enough and mostly ovals.
Martuh no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #257
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

A flyover and inside view!

MCG-100,000

Telstra Stadium-83,500

StadiumWA-70,000

Telstra Dome-56,000

Suncorp Stadium-53,000

Sydney Football Stadium-43,000

ExSydney no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #258
victory

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh
Mostly ovals?

Only 3 would be ovals, which is fewer than many WC's have athletics tracks. And one of the ovals is bigger than any stadium in Europe.
victory no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #259
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martuh
Not "speaded" enough???...

Perth-Sydney=4000kms

and more "ovals" in Germany 2006 than what Australia would propose.
ExSydney no está en línea  
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:41 PM   #260
Rev
BANNED

ExSydney, is that stadiumWA actually going to be built?
What about Subiaco? Thats what, about 50k? AAMI stadium is about 52k.

I dont think stadiums are an issue. Stadiums can always be upgraded, seating reconfigured to bring the fans closer to the pitch, stadiums built. The issue is the world cup clashing with the other codes in my opinion.
Rev no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup