daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 4th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #2601
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer View Post
All right guys: I made two mistakes with my keyboard. Thank you for your remarks. But that doesn't change anything: Europeans should support together England's bid for WC 2018 and Spain should get Euro 2016 and bid for WC 2026.
Come on, don't be touchy, I'm not here to provoke or to spread stupid prejudices and stubborn arguments, unlike some other members.

Still, no matter how realistic the chances are that the Benelux will get it, I support our bid. We can do it, and even if we don't get it, we will still have new stadiums, something we urgently need (especially Belgium). It's hard to get support in Belgium for new stadiums. In the occasion that politics are being cooperative, the local nimbys are opposing.

Last edited by Chimaera; November 4th, 2007 at 04:08 PM.
Chimaera no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 4th, 2007, 06:23 PM   #2602
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreOrLess View Post
The key to coming up with a 45K+ stadium in Bristol (beyond either of the two teams being in the prem for a lenght of time) might I'd guess be getting a few rubgy internationals or maybe the Guinness prem final . The SW is afterall the heartland of rugby union in England and it would be alot easier to justify the expense to give it a centerpeice stadium.
The biggest problem with a Bristol stadium apart from the obvious funding problem, is the demand for it. City may have been doing great and are in their highest position for many years, but their attendances are still very ordinary in all honesty. They're still not selling out home games, just 13,000 were at Ashton Gate a couple of weeks back against Sheffield Utd and it's not as if it's a large stadium.
Old November 4th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #2603
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
All right guys: I made two mistakes with my keyboard. Thank you for your remarks. But that doesn't change anything: Europeans should support together England's bid for WC 2018 and Spain should get Euro 2016 and bid for WC 2026.
Get your facts right mate: Fifa adopted a rule last week that states that a continent cannot host if it has hosted one of the previous two world cups. After a European world cup in 2018, this means that Europe will have to wait till 2030 for its next possibility. Likewise, Africa cannot bid in 2014 and 2018, and South America cannot bid in 2018 and 2022.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #2604
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Get your facts right mate: Fifa adopted a rule last week that states that a continent cannot host if it has hosted one of the previous two world cups. After a European world cup in 2018, this means that Europe will have to wait till 2030 for its next possibility. Likewise, Africa cannot bid in 2014 and 2018, and South America cannot bid in 2018 and 2022.
which is kind of silly considering that Europe has far more countries that are able to host the WC then anyother continent. Btw i think both North and South America should be classed as one(the Americas) as there are only a few countries that have the ability to host such an event.
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #2605
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Come on, don't be touchy, I'm not here to provoke or to spread stupid prejudices and stubborn arguments, unlike some other members.

Still, no matter how realistic the chances are that the Benelux will get it, I support our bid. We can do it, and even if we don't get it, we will still have new stadiums, something we urgently need (especially Belgium). It's hard to get support in Belgium for new stadiums. In the occasion that politics are being cooperative, the local nimbys are opposing.
Typically speaking - the stadiums are PLANNED as part of the bid and only built if the bid is succesful... So don't count on getting them.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 4th, 2007, 10:20 PM   #2606
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1157

In normal countries that would be the case but we're talking about Belgium here
Quintana no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #2607
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Scotland could easily host a Rugby World Cup on its own, it has at least as good stadiums as Australia did or New Zealand.

Murrayfield - 67500
Hampden Park - 52000
Ibrox Park - 51000
Celtic Park - 61000
Pittodrie - 22000 (or new Aberdeen stadium 30000)
Tannadice - 18000
Rugby Park - 17000
Tynecastle - 25000 by then

and improvements to Inverness/Falkirk etc.

It wont though because Rugby isnt big enough.

Ireland probably could if GAA stadiums were used, and Rugby is big enough but doubt they'd be allowed to use them.
Wouldn't the pitch dimensions at Celtic Park & Ibrox be too small for rugby union? There wouldn't be enough for an in goal area.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #2608
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
Typically speaking - the stadiums are PLANNED as part of the bid and only built if the bid is succesful... So don't count on getting them.
That's what Alain Courtois, Belgian promotor of the bid, has promised, but it might just be an extra argument to get more support, and we don't know if it will be realised. I mean: he said something like "even if we don't get the World Cup, we will have big, modern and comfortable stadiums". He knows that we need them and uses this as an argument for definitely building those stadiums.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2609
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
You're wrong there mate. Club Bruges and Anderlecht are for sure going to build a new stadium in Belgium, as is Feyenoord in Holland. I'm not sure about the stadiums in Antwerp and Liege though. Fact is that a number of stadiums will be built before 2018, no matter how the bid turns out.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #2610
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
You're wrong there mate. Club Bruges and Anderlecht are for sure going to build a new stadium in Belgium, as is Feyenoord in Holland. I'm not sure about the stadiums in Antwerp and Liege though. Fact is that a number of stadiums will be built before 2018, no matter how the bid turns out.
I'm not going to repeat myself in others again in summing up all the Belgian and Dutch stadium plans, but I'll try to give a brief summary of the Belgian intentions and how concrete they are:

Ghent: most concrete plans. 20,000-seater that can be expanded to 40,000. They would like to join the bid.
Bruges: very clear intentions to build a new stadium with 40,000 seats. The location has been chosen, the project has been fully worked out, the MER-demand is in (milieu effecten rapport = report on environmental impacts), they have the budget. Politics and people are divided in pro (the clubs needs more revenue, needs to meet international standards in capacity, accessability and comfort, a shopping center is sustainable...) and contra (environmental impact, impact on living conditions of local inhabitants, impact on local shops).
Brussels: location should not a problem. Anderlecht needs to find an agreement with the politics in Brussels. Probably 60,000 seats.
Liège: plans are not concrete yet, but the city is willing to help the club as much as possible. New 40,000 seater on new location.
Antwerp: city wants a new stadium for both rivaling clubs. Main obstacle is the rivalry.

Conclusion: Bruges, Anderlecht and Liège want to build a 40,000+ stadium, and their plans are not connected to an eventual World Cup in Belgium and The Netherlands. On the other hand, in Ghent and Antwerp plans for 40,000 seats are linked to the bid.
Currently Genk has the best stadium in the country, but they didn't pronounce any plans yet to participate in the WC bid.

The stadium in Ghent should be ready by 2009, Bruges and Anderlecht (and maybe Liège) want it by 2012, when the new UEFA regulations become reality (minimum 40,000 seats for CL participation).
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #2611
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
That's what Alain Courtois, Belgian promotor of the bid, has promised, but it might just be an extra argument to get more support, and we don't know if it will be realised. I mean: he said something like "even if we don't get the World Cup, we will have big, modern and comfortable stadiums". He knows that we need them and uses this as an argument for definitely building those stadiums.
related to laurence courtois?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #2612
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4634

Quote:
That's what Alain Courtois, Belgian promotor of the bid, has promised.
If Belgium is able to build stadia as fast as it build government, the WC2018 will took place in 2020 !
As we say on the other side of the Quievrain, between Belgium-Netherland's bid and England's one, "il n'y a pas photo" ("there is no picture"). Wembley, Emirates, the "new old" Trafford, the new Anfield Road and maybe the new Villa Park were allready designed to host the WC. I repeat: having more than one European bid wouln't be a good thing: Europe should stay united because it can't wait until 16 years before hosting WC again.

I think that England got only one serious rival for 2018 and it's Australia. But I could bet 1M€ against a Rugby ball that England (or maybe UK) would host WC2018.
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est

Last edited by eomer; November 5th, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
eomer no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #2613
SoHype!
T O N I G H T

Likes (Received): 8024

Hate so much those shoebox stadiums!

"El futuro es lo obsoleto en reversa". Vladimir Nabokov
a r c h i t e c t u r e / r e a l _ e s t a t e
SoHype! no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #2614
sibyl-vane

Likes (Received): 0

am i the only one to expect the spanish to be strong? no spanyards in this forum?
sibyl-vane no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #2615
Benjuk

Quote:
If Belgium is able to build stadia as fast as it build government, the WC2018 will took place in 2020 !
As we say on the other side of the Quievrain, between Belgium-Netherland's bid and England's one, "il n'y a pas photo" ("there is no picture"). Wembley, Emirates, the "new old" Trafford, the new Anfield Road and maybe the new Villa Park were allready designed to host the WC. I repeat: having more than one European bid wouln't be a good thing: Europe should stay united because it can't wait until 16 years before hosting WC again.

I think that England got only one serious rival for 2018 and it's Australia. But I could bet 1M€ against a Rugby ball that England (or maybe UK) would host WC2018.
Never. Australia is nowhere near being in a position to host the 2018 finals. Haven't the stadiums, haven't the footballing culture. Also, no way will a UK bid be made - England all the way.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #2616
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6296

I think you're underestimating the Australian bid you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibyl-vane View Post
am i the only one to expect the spanish to be strong? no spanyards in this forum?
Well there's no doubt that a Spanish bid, in terms of stadiums and love of football would probably match England's in most respects, some would argue England has the better stadiums/infastructure/football heritage/fan support...etc etc, some would argue Spain has the better of those things...except maybe the football hertigae.....and fan support.

But anyway, most people would at least grudgingly agree that the two bids would be very close, so that just leaves the one issue which of which England has the distinct advantage: when did they last stage the tournament? ......I'm sorry but this matter rather settles it in my mind as to which bid Europe should back....1966 or 1982....France has hosting it twice, so has Italy, so has Germany...so aint it more then overdue for the country that gave the game to the world to get it back again?
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old November 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #2617
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
related to laurence courtois?
No idea.

You know Laurence Courtois? I'm surprised.

@eomer: off-topic but in a reaction to your post: these government negotiations are terrible, I agree. Almost 150 days now. It's getting more and more difficult to reach a "compromis à la Belge"... with both sides drifting apart and opposing each other more and more. We need politics, but sometimes...

And yeah, England is a stronger player than Belgium in this WC bidding. Does that mean that we should just withdraw???
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:53 AM   #2618
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHype! View Post

Not bad for a lower league club though.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #2619
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
No idea.

You know Laurence Courtois? I'm surprised.

@eomer: off-topic but in a reaction to your post: these government negotiations are terrible, I agree. Almost 150 days now. It's getting more and more difficult to reach a "compromis à la Belge"... with both sides drifting apart and opposing each other more and more. We need politics, but sometimes...

And yeah, England is a stronger player than Belgium in this WC bidding. Does that mean that we should just withdraw???
I know many things. lol
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 6th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #2620
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHype! View Post

That's Bristol Rovers, it won't have anything to do with the 2018 bid.

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup