daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 13th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #2681
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

England can't be expected to be given this on a platter. We'll have to convince many people; that's our job now.

Not everyone will be convinved for whatever reasons (some of them may be daft reasons but that's beside the point). We have to convince, not demand.
RobH está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #2682
parker941

Likes (Received): 0

China may go for it

and it will create a whole lot dynamic of competitions :-)
parker941 no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #2683
KiwiBrit
There's only one United

Likes (Received): 12

I'm not saying we should be given the WC on a platter, no one has a devine right to be hosts. It just concerns me when the president's of both fifa and uefa both spout about the 'problems' in the English game. And how they are not sure England is 'right'.

I wonder if Platini would talk about the money and racism problems if Spain were to bid? Or the hooligan element if Poland were to, or the supposed corruption if Russia did?

Probably not...
KiwiBrit no está en línea  
Old November 13th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #2684
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
doesn't change the fact that south africa will host the 2010 world cup.
I know that, i never said it did.

I was only reacting to this comment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
There are far better choices. uh England.
Which is clearly not true. However, England will probably get 2018.

Last edited by Wezza; November 13th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM   #2685
Jack Rabbit Slim
Divemaster!

Likes (Received): 6301

The thing I don't get is what the hell England's number of foreign players and owners have to do with a WC bid from England in 2018...? I too am rather concerned with the number of foreign players and owners in teh Premiership as it is starting to stifle English talent, but as I doubt the likes of Platini (if he's honest with himself) really gives a crap about the future of English footballers, I can only surmise that it yet another ever-present sign that UEFA/FIFA are becoming rather scared about the level of money and power the Premiership has been gaining over the last 10 years. It's increasing domination over the Asian market, and the South African market and (though little) the North American market (with signs also that it is gaining in popularity in South America as well) mean it's getting money and power by the truckloads and English teams are starting to really prosper in the CL (altough as yet not dominating the trophies). It's no wonder Platini wants to restrict England and others to 3 CL places, he'll use the excuse of wanting to give other countries a shot at it but it's really to limit the Premiership's and La Liga's power.

If he makes constructive criticism about England's bid...stadiums, infastructre etc etc that's ok, there's nothing wrong with that, but why the hell is he trying to take a shot at it because of what's going on in the Premiership (which is also going on in Spain and Italy as well!)
Jack Rabbit Slim no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #2686
ÔMorocco

Likes (Received): 1

2018 England
2022 China
2026 Argentina
2030 Morocco (for the best WC of all time)
ÔMorocco no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #2687
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I know that, i never said it did.

I was only reacting to this comment:

I do believe if it is true and as this is a forum, you don't have to agree.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #2688
Benjuk

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
There are far better choices. uh England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza
I can give you numerous reasons why an England 2018 bid would be stronger than an Aussie one (and all of these coming from a bloke who lives in Australia and wants the finals here):

1) Population of 60 mill vs 25 mill
2) Time zone compatible with prime time in the big tv markets vs time zone compatible with sleep in the big tv markets
3) A glorious history of footballing support vs a history of ethnically based dislike of the sport (Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters, great book by a great man)
4) A couple of hours flight to half the competing nations vs a couple of hours flight and your still in Aussie airspace.
5) Excellent communications links between all venues vs massive travelling times between most venues
6) The presence of all the required stadiums PRIOR to the the bid vs lots of speculative stadia.

Australia would have to come up with a bid that TOPS all of those factors, THEN hope that the rest of FIFA agreed.

How many reasons can you give for an Aussie one being better than England? The only ones I can come up with are:

1) Australia's never had it, England has once (goes for many other nations).
2) It's always in Europe, let someone else have a go (no longer true).
3) Australia always does a good job hosting major events (debatable).
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #2689
Wezza
©

Likes (Received): 968

I don't really think it's debatable at all that Australia does a good job at hosting major events. While i don't think 2018 is our best shot (2022 would be the best for us), i refuse to believe that we couldn't do as good of a job as any other candidates.
Wezza no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:44 AM   #2690
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 215

All the points against England:

1)

England won't organize the WC, especially after 5 years after the Olympics.

FIFA, never gives the olympics to country who just hosted something as big as the Olympics.

(you have to wait atleast 10 years)

2)

Soccer is already Poular in England

3)

Theres nothing in for Fifa, if they orginize the WC in England. They care about money.

---
Old November 14th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #2691
Bahnsteig4

Likes (Received): 93

Quote:
Theres nothing in for Fifa, if they orginize the WC in England. They care about money.
Sadly. They should be more concerned with what's in there for FOOTBALL...

Bunch of scum.

Austrian Forum - Support our Skybar!

Yes, for ****'s sake, all pictures I post were TAKEN BY ME
Bahnsteig4 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #2692
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post

1)

England won't organize the WC, especially after 5 years after the Olympics.

FIFA, never gives the olympics to country who just hosted something as big as the Olympics.

2)

Soccer is already Poular in England

3)

---
many assumptions. Why would FIFA revenues be an issue? South Africa has already exceeded Germany 2006 revenues, How would this be a problem for England? oh and FIFA doesn't award the Olympic Games. England is capable of hosting Olympic Games and a FIFA World Cup 6 years apart. It hosted enough football matches across the country at all levels over the last 100 years to make anyone dizzy.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM   #2693
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjuk View Post
I can give you numerous reasons why an England 2018 bid would be stronger than an Aussie one (and all of these coming from a bloke who lives in Australia and wants the finals here):

1) Population of 60 mill vs 25 mill
2) Time zone compatible with prime time in the big tv markets vs time zone compatible with sleep in the big tv markets
3) A glorious history of footballing support vs a history of ethnically based dislike of the sport (Sheilas, Wogs and Poofters, great book by a great man)
4) A couple of hours flight to half the competing nations vs a couple of hours flight and your still in Aussie airspace.
5) Excellent communications links between all venues vs massive travelling times between most venues
6) The presence of all the required stadiums PRIOR to the the bid vs lots of speculative stadia.

Australia would have to come up with a bid that TOPS all of those factors, THEN hope that the rest of FIFA agreed.

How many reasons can you give for an Aussie one being better than England? The only ones I can come up with are:

1) Australia's never had it, England has once (goes for many other nations).
2) It's always in Europe, let someone else have a go (no longer true).
3) Australia always does a good job hosting major events (debatable).
England should really push the..."football comes home" thing..ala athens 2004.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #2694
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:

3)

---
Care to explain this point? Why can't FIFA make heaps of money in England?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #2695
RobH

Likes (Received): 10322

Quote:
England should really push the..."football comes home" thing..ala athens 2004.
We did that for our 2006 bid. It didn't work.
RobH está en línea ahora  
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM   #2696
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
We did that for our 2006 bid. It didn't work.
well then the communications team failed. apparently South Africa was rated higher than england in the 2006 bid technical evaluation. i wonder how FIFA managed that.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #2697
Lostboy

Likes (Received): 19

Yes I just don't understand the revenues argument, I am convinced England would be far more profitable than 20 million Australia.
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM   #2698
Benjuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezza View Post
I don't really think it's debatable at all that Australia does a good job at hosting major events. While i don't think 2018 is our best shot (2022 would be the best for us), i refuse to believe that we couldn't do as good of a job as any other candidates.
Australia did a stunning job with the Olympics, lesser events like the Commonwealth Games and the Rugby World Cup were pretty well handled, but there's a lot of attention of the struggles to make the F1 Grand Prix financially viable due to the huge travelling distances and the problems with television broadcast in the primary market (Europe). FIFA will notice that.

And it's not about whether Australia could do a good job or not - it's about convincing FIFA that we could do a BETTER job than anyone else, and do it well enough to overcome all the points mentioned above.

Quote:

1) England won't organize the WC, especially after 5 years after the Olympics.

2) Soccer is already Poular in England

3) Theres nothing in for Fifa, if they orginize the WC in England. They care about money.
---
1) The two aren't connected. FIFA and the IOC certainly have no problem doing things the other way around, USA '94, Atlanta '96, why should it be a problem the other way around?

2) Soccer was already popular in Germany, is fairly popular in Brazil, and I'm pretty sure Mo Rush will back me up that it's popular in South Africa.

3) A world cup in England would be ideal for tv audiences around Europe - the biggest football audiences in the world, giving huge guarenteed revenues.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM   #2699
Benjuk

Quote:
well then the communications team failed. apparently South Africa was rated higher than england in the 2006 bid technical evaluation. i wonder how FIFA managed that.
IIRC England went back on a deal with Germany, and lost a lot of favour within UEFA, which lead to Euro votes going to Germany rather than England and ultimately lost England the chance to host. All round it was apparently a pretty botched up bid by my lot.
Benjuk no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM   #2700
Evoluon
Disney Nasty

Likes (Received): 44

Sepp Blatter has welcomed the bid by Netherlands/Belgium. They will work under one organisation committee as two friendly neighbouring countries (contrary to the Japan-South Korea tournament of 2002). Plus they have had a succesful Euro 2000 tournament.

As our attacking play and ´total football´ has allways been well-liked, the 2018 tournamant will go Dutch (and Belgium)! All it will take are some extra tiers to existing stadiums, which will arrive in time.
Evoluon no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup