daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: Which bid should host the FIFA World Cup 2018 / 2022?
Australia - 2018 255 12.32%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2018 247 11.94%
England - 2018 538 26.00%
Indonesia - 2018 68 3.29%
Japan - 2018 35 1.69%
Mexico - 2018 105 5.07%
Qatar - 2018 78 3.77%
Russia - 2018 279 13.48%
South Korea - 2018 16 0.77%
Spain / Portugal - 2018 267 12.90%
USA - 2018 116 5.61%
Australia - 2022 378 18.27%
Belgium / Netherlands - 2022 111 5.36%
England - 2022 114 5.51%
Indonesia - 2022 122 5.90%
Japan - 2022 37 1.79%
Mexico - 2022 149 7.20%
Qatar - 2022 153 7.39%
Russia - 2022 148 7.15%
South Korea - 2022 23 1.11%
Spain / Portugal - 2022 184 8.89%
USA - 2022 249 12.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2069. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old November 14th, 2007, 06:02 PM   #2701
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwakzalver View Post
Sepp Blatter has welcomed the bid by Netherlands/Belgium. They will work under one organisation committee as two friendly neighbouring countries (contrary to the Japan-South Korea tournament of 2002). Plus they have had a succesful Euro 2000 tournament.

As our attacking play and ´total football´ has allways been well-liked, the 2018 tournamant will go Dutch (and Belgium)! All it will take are some extra tiers to existing stadiums, which will arrive in time.
I say go for it. Should be an interesting bid.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #2702
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Associations of Belgium and the Netherlands officially announce interest in submitting joint bid(FIFA.com)

Wednesday 14 November 2007

In a meeting today (Wednesday, 14 November 2007) with FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter and FIFA General Secretary Jérôme Valcke, the Presidents of the football associations of Belgium, François de Keersmaecker, and the Netherlands, Mathieu Sprengers, officially announced their interest in submitting a joint bid to host the 2018 FIFA World Cup™.

"There are no borders between our countries, but there is a lot of friendship," stressed FIFA's guests. "Remember, we successfully hosted EURO 2000."

"These two neighbours are founder members of FIFA," said Blatter. FIFA explained that it was important for the governing body to have only one point of contact at local organising committee level.

Blatter also noted that other countries were already planning to submit bids. "It says everything about the popularity of football in general and the FIFA World Cup in particular that we already have concrete proposals for the 2018 World Cup."

The FIFA Executive Committee will allocate the hosting rights for the 2018 FIFA World Cup™ in 2011.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/re...id=637931.html
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #2703
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
All the points against England:

1)

England won't organize the WC, especially after 5 years after the Olympics.

FIFA, never gives the olympics to country who just hosted something as big as the Olympics.

(you have to wait atleast 10 years)
What are you talking about?! lots of countries have hosted both events in quick succession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterpaul View Post
3)

Theres nothing in for Fifa, if they orginize the WC in England. They care about money.

---
once again what are you talking about?! English football is the most profitable in the world.
Old November 14th, 2007, 10:42 PM   #2704
marrio415

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH View Post
We did that for our 2006 bid. It didn't work.
The hooligans in Belguim ended that bid at euro 2000
marrio415 no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:55 PM   #2705
ottooo
Kijk omhoog!

Likes (Received): 1

Blatter is quoted saying something like that there are 15 to 20 countries in the world capable of organising a WC, but if Belgium and The Netherlands do a good job, that would open the door for smaller countries in the future. He also said that Belgium/The Netherlands is the first candidate to officially tell the FIFA that they are interested in organising the 2018 WC.

Btw, this is a quote from Jeu Sprengers, one of the representatives of the Dutch and Belgian FA who met with Blatter.
ottooo no está en línea  
Old November 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #2706
*England*
Who Dares Wins

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
The hooligans in Belguim ended that bid at euro 2000
we was never gonna get it no matter what, what it will do is help get 2018, same as australia when they fail to get 2018 it will help them get it in the 20s.
*England* no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #2707
aCidMinD81
Tres huevos

Likes (Received): 37

I've just read in a Spanish newspaper that the Spanish Footbal Association expects to announce their bid for World Cup 2018 on the first semester of 2008.
Old November 15th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #2708
Kobo

Likes (Received): 16

BENELUEX COUNTRIES WANT WORLD CUP
Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg shall jointly bid to host the 2018 W.C. Only Belgium and The Netherlands shall host matches but Luxembourg will stage a Fifa conference. Only Belgium and the Netherlands shall qualify automatically for matches. Here is more from the BBC article:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/7095242.stm
What does everyone think of a 3 way bid, apparently Blatter has now gone back on his view that a World Cup could be jointly held. This is probably because this bid is completely different to the 2002 Japan/ S.Korea bid. The Beneleux share the same currency, are all connected by land and cover a small area.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #2709
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo View Post
Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg shall jointly bid to host the 2018 W.C. Only Belgium and The Netherlands shall host matches but Luxembourg will stage a Fifa conference. Only Belgium and the Netherlands shall qualify automatically for matches. Here is more from the BBC article:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/7095242.stm
What does everyone think of a 3 way bid, apparently Blatter has now gone back on his view that a World Cup could be jointly held. This is probably because this bid is completely different to the 2002 Japan/ S.Korea bid. The Beneleux share the same currency, are all connected by land and cover a small area.
Apperantly, the big difference that made Blatter support this joint bid is Belgium and Netherlands really presented themselves as one bid / organisation, while the Japan / South Korea was much more devided, and basically consisted of two organisations.

Seven stadiums in the Netherlands and six in Belgium were proposed to Blatter, but he stated that 10 stadiums are enough for a successful Word Cup.
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:59 AM   #2710
Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Apperantly, the big difference that made Blatter support this joint bid is Belgium and Netherlands really presented themselves as one bid / organisation, while the Japan / South Korea was much more devided, and basically consisted of two organisations.

Seven stadiums in the Netherlands and six in Belgium were proposed to Blatter, but he stated that 10 stadiums are enough for a successful Word Cup.
Hi Joop20, well yes i would have thought that would be their approach, it seems more logical then proposing 2 different organisations. Do you have any links or web addresses that shows the Beneluex 2018 bid, especially the stadiums they propose to use and develope. One of the good things about this bid, if its successful, is it would open up doors for other smaller nations to propose W.C bids in the future. As in recent history the larger economical and populated countries tend to be winning their bids.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 12:18 PM   #2711
Chimaera

Likes (Received): 172

Quote:
Not only do we share the currency (and Belgium and Luxemburg already shared it long before the Euro), Belgium and Luxemburg formed the first economic union in Europe, the BLEU (Belgium-Luxemburg Economic Union), followed by Benelux. Belgium, Luxemburg and the Netherlands are founding members of the European Union, back when it only consisted of 6 countries.
Another advantage is language: 20 million (or more?) speak Dutch with a strong knowledge of two or more languages, 4-5 million speak French and a small minority German (and the German speaking also know French, English or Dutch).
We even formed one country once.

Of course I can't deny that for the moment, with the political issues (or maybe even crisis?) it might look like we will end up existing as 4 or 5 countries (including NL and LUX) instead...
Chimaera no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #2712
Joop20

Quote:
Hi Joop20, well yes i would have thought that would be their approach, it seems more logical then proposing 2 different organisations. Do you have any links or web addresses that shows the Beneluex 2018 bid, especially the stadiums they propose to use and develope. One of the good things about this bid, if its successful, is it would open up doors for other smaller nations to propose W.C bids in the future. As in recent history the larger economical and populated countries tend to be winning their bids.
There's no official info on the Benelux 2018 bid yet, as far as I know. I heard on the telly yesterday that more info will be released mid-december. The Belgian news mentioned that new stadiums in Bruges, Antwerp, Brussels, Liege and Charleroi could be used in 2018, and that the stadium in Genk could be expanded. As you can see, still alot of work needs to be done stadium-wise, especially in Belgium. The positive point is that some of these stadiums will get built no matter what happens with the bid!

My bet would be on the following stadiums:

Rotterdam new Feyenoord stadium - 70k
Rotterdam old Feyenoord stadium - 50k (to be demolished after the wc?)
Amsterdam Ajax stadium - 60k (plans for expansion)
Eindhoven PSV stadium - 40k (currently 35k, no plans for expansion or new build as of yet)
Alkmaar AZ stadium - 40k (currently 15k, concrete plans for expansion)
Groningen - 40k (currently 20k, plans for expansion)

Bruges - 40k (concrete plans for new build)
Brussels - 60k (concrete plans for new build)
Antwerp - 40k (no concrete plans yet)
Liege - 40k (no concrete plans yet)

The only downside is that there'd be rather alot of stadiums with minimum capacity, maybe this could be solved with temporal stands?
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #2713
Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
There's no official info on the Benelux 2018 bid yet, as far as I know. I heard on the telly yesterday that more info will be released mid-december. The Belgian news mentioned that new stadiums in Bruges, Antwerp, Brussels, Liege and Charleroi could be used in 2018, and that the stadium in Genk could be expanded. As you can see, still alot of work needs to be done stadium-wise, especially in Belgium. The positive point is that some of these stadiums will get built no matter what happens with the bid!

My bet would be on the following stadiums:

Rotterdam new Feyenoord stadium - 70k
Rotterdam old Feyenoord stadium - 50k (to be demolished after the wc?)
Amsterdam Ajax stadium - 60k (plans for expansion)
Eindhoven PSV stadium - 40k (currently 35k, no plans for expansion or new build as of yet)
Alkmaar AZ stadium - 40k (currently 15k, concrete plans for expansion)
Groningen - 40k (currently 20k, plans for expansion)

Bruges - 40k (concrete plans for new build)
Brussels - 60k (concrete plans for new build)
Antwerp - 40k (no concrete plans yet)
Liege - 40k (no concrete plans yet)

The only downside is that there'd be rather alot of stadiums with minimum capacity, maybe this could be solved with temporal stands?
The one in Bruges will probably get a 44-45k-capacity.
Old November 15th, 2007, 02:08 PM   #2714
Joop20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
The one in Bruges will probably get a 44-45k-capacity.
Thanks for the info. Any news on the other new stadiums in Belgium?

I'm hoping that the bid will also contain a new stadium for PSV in Eindhoven. Imo, the current stadium is at the max of its capacity, and I think that PSV could well fill a 40k stadium. It'd be great to see a 45k or 50k in Eindhoven as part of the Benelux bid! A new stadium for PSV could also be a great showcase for Philips, I'm sure they could come up with some great lighting effects etc for the exterior of this new stadium!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #2715
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

Isn't the minimum capacity in 2018 45k? Think I read that somewhere...
lpioe no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:01 PM   #2716
Kobo

To Joop20 and/or Chimaera, I assume that you both live in Belgium at the moment from what you have both said. Earlier this week i read an article about the crisis that Belgium is going through right now, and that it could possibly split into two different nations, or either relivant speaking area become part of France or The Netherlands respectively. I don't have a great understanding about this political situation, could either of you enlighten me further if you feel that one of these scenario's could happen. If so do you think it would hinder the Benelux bid.
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM   #2717
Chimaera

@Joop: I agree with you on PSV. I had a look sometime ago at it on Google Maps, and they seem to have the same problem as e.g. ManU and Newcastle: lack of room for further expansion.

@lpioe: 45k? That's new information. It will be for a lot of people I think. I wonder...

@Kobo: enlightening you on the political situation in Belgium will require a long, long story... maybe even longer than the 160 days it is already taking to form a new government.
Old November 15th, 2007, 04:25 PM   #2718
Kobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
@Kobo: enlightening you on the political situation in Belgium will require a long, long story... maybe even longer than the 160 days it is already taking to form a new government.
Ok, fare point. But do you feel if Belgium were to brake up it would hinder thier W.C bid?
Kobo no está en línea  
Old November 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #2719
Chimaera

Quote:
Ok, fare point. But do you feel if Belgium were to brake up it would hinder thier W.C bid?
I'll limit my explanation to the recent issues, otherwise I have to go several decades back in time, and that would mean a pageful of text. And I don't have the complete history of Belgium in my brain. Whether Belgium breaks up or not, Flemish, Walloons and "Brusseleirs" will have to find agreements/solutions for their mutual conflicts. Main problem here is what to do with Brussels and the facility towns along the "language border", especially around Brussels. Another one is the so-called "cashflow" from Flanders to Wallonia, which is considered a problem by many Flemish.
If those solutions could be found in time (before 2011), and the communities manage to find peace again, I don't see why a WC bid would be impossible, whether as one country or as two separate ones.
Old November 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM   #2720
Erasmus

Likes (Received): 152

As far as it concerns the stadiums: The Netherlands are at this moment working to expand a lot of stadiums:
Kooimeer Plaza (AZ): from 15,000 now to 40,000 seats
Arke Stadium (Twente): from 15,000 now to 30,000 in the near future, can be expanded to host the World Championships
Nieuw Galgewaard (Utrecht): 25,000 now. Can be increased, no plans yet
Abe Lenstra Stadium (Heerenveen): 25,000+ now, will be increased to 40,000+ seats
Euroborg (Groningen): 20,000 seats now. Can be increased to 40,000 seats. Already planning a small increase of seats
Gelredome (Vitesse): 30,000 seats now. I don't know the possibility to increase the number of seats. They will however certainly try to become one of the cities to host some WC football games.

The big ones:
De Kuip (Feyenoord): 48,000 seats. They are planning to build a new 70,000+ seater. The old stadium will not be demolished, as it is a monument. There's two possible stadiums in Rotterdam that way
Arena (Ajax): 50,000 seats, but planning to increase the number of seats to over 60,000. Maybe the old Olympic Stadium can be increased to over 40,000, there's also two options in Amsterdam.
Philips Stadium (PSV): 35,000 seats now. Hard to increase the number of seats to over 40,000. New stadium???

The outsiders:
Rath Verlegh (NAC): 15,000 seats now but planning an increase to over 20,000 seats. The city of Breda is desperate to become a playing city in the WC football bid, they will definately look at plans to increase the capacity of their stadium.
Parkstad Limburg (Roda): 20,000 seats now. There are rumours of increasing the capacity of to wc football standards.

WTF: do we need them Belgians? I don't think so, but it would be better to do a joint bid for the wc football, just because of things like hotel-space and others. Certainly when the Belgians succeed in their plans to build the stadiums that qualify for wc football. Most likely cities: Bruxelles, Bruges, Liege, Charleroi. Other possibilities will be Genk or eventually Gent!
Erasmus no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
australia, united states of america, world cup